Masters Running

Windy Wednesday Workouts and Stuff (Read 525 times)

SteveP

Sorry for the fly by. This is 80 miles from and near Byllllll's new place.

The good news is...I think that just maybeI've got a son.

http://record-eagle.com/latest/x364973014/Man-dressed-as-Batman-charged-with-trespassing

SteveP

I knew there was something else I kept meaning to put in my posts the last couple days but then kept forgetting.

For Grandma's marathon (my 3rd), I'm pretty much going to be running it alone (not counting the other 7,000 people of course) and was toying with the idea of signing up to be a pace group. I've never done that before, as both of my previous marathons, I was running with friends for most of the distance. My PR is 4:16 so was thinking of joining up with the 4:15 group.  Was curious what other people's experiences have been with pace groups? helpful? did you like running with a group like that or prefer to just run solo?

Being a pacer, I think pace groups are awesome!  That's a great plan and I can picture you leaving them in the dust that last mile!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

evanflein

Well I've never had luck with pacers and have tried them three times. The one in Seattle took off so fast and charged up the hills but slacked off on the downhills. Drove me nuts. I finished about a minute ahead of the 3:50 pacer. In Carlsbad I stayed with the pacer for quite awhile but his pace just never felt right to me. Then I had a porta potty stop and never saw him again. But I finished just a couple minutes behind him. In Disney, the guy was nuts... charging through tiny openings in the crowd without any concern for where his group was. It was like he was trying to lose us. He also set a fast pace early on and lost a lot of his (large) crowd. This was the marathon where I forgot my chip, so I was derailed from his group by 5k anyway. But as I went along that race, I picked up (and passed) several of his original entourage that just couldn't keep up with the darting and dodging he seemed to like doing.

But then again, I think I recall Opie paced his group to a rock solid finish right on time. So obviously, they all vary.

Wouldn't that be fun if some of Mary's puppies were neighbors of Tammy now? Or, ok, close to being neighbors.

SteveP, that guy is out there giving Batman a bad rep!!

Elliptical and abs/core stuff at lunch with DH, and I'm planning on running most of the way home tonight. But holy carp, it's cold out there! Cloudy and low 40's with a real chill in the air. It's not snowing though, so after reading Wildchild's post I'm grateful for that. But I do wish I'd brought my gloves!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Pacers.. I've never used one but the last marathon, one pacer went out way too fast and I saw her balloons in a ditch at mile 20! Another pacer came in with the gosslings and crossed the finish 30 seconds under the goal (4hrs).. most excellent.  I guess you don't know if you got a good one til it's over. Kind of risky?

This morning 7 miles progression style in 58:22 (8:20)
          8:47, 8:37, 8:29, 8:21, 8:10, 8:00, 7:56

Timboooooo....

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Maniac 505

The only time I started with a pace group was my PR California International.  CIM prides themselves of their pace groups.  Originally, Tim Tweitmeyer (A western states legend) was scheduled to be the 3:30 pacer I was a little disapointed when they shifted pacers around and I ended up with Rae Clark leading.  I didn't know how lucky I was.  Rey was a 25 year veteran  of CIM and a previous 24 hour and 100 mile US champion.  He held the pace steady,  with about 4 miles to go I was still feeling good so I picked it up a little.  I hit the wall hard at mile 26.  I was giving it everything I had but Ray and his group passed me like I was standing still,  I just couldn't hang on.  Rae's final time 3:29:59,   My final time,  3:30:08

The next year SR Lopez started next to Tim Tweitmeyer and his pace group.  Sr said that Tim went out WAY faster then he should have and burnt out lots of runners

And I still remember a hot hilly day at the Seattle Seafair marathon the year before Rock and Roll took over,  sometime around the middle of the race most of the aid stations had run out of cups.  I saw a pacer running by her self I asked her Are we on pace?  she very disgustedly answered How would I Know?

So IMHO pace groups can work but be ready to run your own race at any point.

SteveP

I don't know when I'll be to a computer next Orange Mat, but you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. You too Leslie!!!!

Tag would love the snow!!

Packing cross training.

SteveP

Everything about my run after work was perfect, the weather, the way I felt, the numbers in my log here, the music (solarmix7), and the fact that with about 7 miles, this was my longest run in a long time!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Packing cross training.

Me too. Where are you headed? I just printed out my legs from google maps, marked all the rights and lefts. A lot of good that'll do me when I'm running at midnight!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Decided to test out the headlamp tonight. I figured better later than never... did 2.5 miles in my well-lit neighborhood, and barely needed the light at all. Though I suppose it was good for the oncoming cars, in that they could see me clearly.

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm sure you'll do great in your relay, OM!

I've just done a couple of easy runs, this week, hoping for some fresh legs for tomorrow's 1 miler.  Monday was 8.2 miles in 59:29 and, tonight was 3.2 miles in 22:35.  Then, after both runs, I did a couple of striders.  I know what you're thinking..."Tapering for a 1 miler?"  I know...I'm a little different.

I sure hope Leslie is okay...

Hi, peeps -

I found the pacer talk interesting.

OM - You're gonna do great at your relay.  Can you give us the web site?  Is it something we can follow on line?

Snow??  The snow level is suppose to drop around the mountains here tomorrow.  Guess I'll need an extra sock for my foot. Wink

I kept it wrapped part of the time, but halfway through the day, it felt like it was on fire.  I had to unwrap it and stick it under the air conditioning on the floor.  It was pretty puffy by the time I got home.  Depending on how it looks in the a.m., I might stick with strength training, ice it and keep it elevated at work, then hopefully do the stationary bike thing after work.  TomW, I'm blaming this on the brats kids, as well.  Its sensitive in the area where I know it was injured.  Keeping fingers crossed it was mostly pressure from the swelling.  I'm on my 7th week of crutches.  By the time I get back to the doc, it will be over 9 weeks.  If he keeps me on them after that, well, I won't be responsible for my actions.

I know what I need - I need a punching bag.  Yeah, a punching bag with a picture of a crutch taped to it.  That would be SU-WEET!  A pipe dream, but SU-WEET!

I made it through today, though at times it was tough.  As my friend keeps telling me you can only take things one a time, but my brain can't help jumping 9, 10 steps ahead.  Things are going to get worse before they get better, but some of the emotionally harder stuff has been accomplished, including talk got my dad tonight.  Very cryptic, I know, but that's all I can do.

I continue to see mental and physical improvement with my husband.  At the end of all this madness, his sobriety is what matters the most.

Thanks for the ears.  And since it's late, I will bid you all Sweet Dreams -

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Me too. Where are you headed? 

New Port Richey FLA. 

(((((Leslie)))))

SteveP

Dave59

I'll tack this on here so I don't mess up today's thread:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/dabegley/Rhymes_with_Orange2.jpg

I just "thought" it was funny.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

One of my favorite bands, the Barenaked Ladies, have a song called Four Seconds, where the word "orange" is rhymed not once, not twice, but three times. Very funny off-the-wall stuff. Smile

It goes to show it's not what you know,
                              but who you know
                              So's, ya know, I can go, flow Bill Monroe
                              then throw to Snow
                              For the show stay low, just play it on a Dobro
                              Oh, I tiptoe to and fro
                              From Ontario, my stereo's Blue like the Rodeo
                              Growin' like freak-show free-throw this is just the intro,
                              Watch it keep droppin' like dominos

One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi, Four!

Now rewind.
                              What'd you have in mind?
                              Could we unwind? I'm fine, we can find a streamline
                              Recombined, intertwined
                              If I'm gonna headline,
                              I'm inclined to be movin' all the behinds
                              Line to line, I kind of shine
                              Redesigned, redefined
                              Keepin' up the spellbind, gotta make it worth the grind
                              Just in time to have another close encounter

of the third kind

One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi, Four!

I've been away four years and a day
                              You'd be thinking I'd be lonely
                              But I'm out here to stay
                              Wouldn't have it any other way

Oh flip, the light is turning orange
                              Coat ripped, when I caught it in the door hinge
                              I slipped when the lady in the 4 inch
                              Bought it in a store in Germany,
                              Wore it like a makeshift snowdrift
                              Had to get a gift, saw the red shift rift
                              When Gretta got an eyelift
                              Oh sure, that one's obscure, maybe even piss-poor,

But I had to take a little detour

I've been away four years and a day
                              You'd be thinking I'd be lonely
                              But I'm out here to stay
                              Wouldn't have it any other way

One Mississippi
                              Two Mississippi
                              Three Mississippi
                              Four

BTY

Love it, OM   Smile  Maybe they can help me finish my poem about the rhinoceros. I started it as a 4th grade assignment and it still sits unfinished in my sock drawer.

Really, Sally and Leslie have never met?  Does being separated at birth count?

I never got around to posting Wednesday's workout on here but I hope it's ok if I post it here today. 

We had been stuck in gray cloudy windy almost rainy mode for so long here in Albany that whenver the weather is nice and sunny and not nearly rainy, the temptation to up the amperage on an easy run is almost undeniable.  Such was the case yesterday (Wednesday) when I went out for an easy 6 miler at lunchtime, with the sun shining overhead, a comfortable breeze blowing, and temps in the mid 60's.  I was supposed to be holding back so that today's dress rehearsal for next Thursday's Workforce Challenge 3.5 miler could be run as a tempo run on relatively fresh legs.  Pace should have been in the low to middle 8's.  Splits wound up 8:05 / 7:50 / 7:52 / 7:35 / 7:35.  So I will be prepared to run today's workout on the race course at easy pace, or even slower, perhaps pacing one of the newbies around the beautiful but hilly course. It has been changed slightly since the last time I raced it three years ago, so I don't know whether hoping to go for a race and distance PR is going to be practical or not.  I'm a better runner now than I was then, but the course may be a tad tougher.  Pace on PR day was 7:03 and my 5k PR pace is 6:36, so it seems like it would be a no-brainer.  Never can tell.

bty