Masters Running

40s On the Run - Goals . . . (Wk of 06/01/08) (Read 654 times)

flatland mountaineer

Wow, Jewels thats a good looking crew ya got there!! U gals did good to hold out for the right dress!! Cool Heading out to run with Lynda. One inch of rain for the storm, no hail. Smile Edited to add a short 4 with pole speedwork and pace Lynda at her tempo.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Gorgeous Girls Jewels!! WOW! Smile Cool those pics were definitely worth the wait.....lets see some more! Rainy day allllll day yesterday.......got the TM set up & sorta tested (I've never run on one, so this could be AFV's worthy Shocked ) but didn't get out for a run....things pretty stiff after the previous day...did lots of stretching (+ vitamin I & ginger) while hauling yet more dismantled junipers, picked up the shed kit & sorted/purchased 100' worth of cedar fencing materials ~ that took some time! & a coupla different stores to get enough....., & reorganizing the storage part of the basement (more stuff for Goodwill) to better facilitate the TM area..... On deck for today: set up the doggies temp fence, tear down section of old fence, set forms for concrete pad, (I gotta go to work from 3-8pm) & see what's left of the day..... Why does my list keep getting longer? Confused Oh! & the "Jasmine Alarm" let me sleep in this am! Woo-Hoo! Laters! C
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Good looking family ya got there Jewels. I'm thinking about when our only daughter was that " dating " age and the things that I would say to her potential suitors. For instance: "make sure that you have her home on time" and " absolutely No drinking" and my personal favorite " ya know son, I'm not afraid to go back to prison "

Top 'O the World!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Good one Cindy Big grin I like that

Happy Friday, Everyone! My first long run this a.m. since Forest Park. I started back in with my PT exercises on Wednedsay for the first time in 2 weeks, and boy howdy could I feel a difference! My quads are not too happy with me, but I know it'll subside soon. Did 8 miles in 1:30:40. Had a hard time keeping my HR under 152 during the last mile. Not sure why. Tomorrow will be my first trail training run using the HR: "After about an hour, end up at the trailhead by the HSU Dorms. Now we run up Trail 14 to Trail 8 (stay right). Run for approx. 25 minutes. Using your heart rate monitor, run until you reach 80 - 85% of your maximum heart rate. Maintain that heart rate for 3 minutes. You'll then do a 2 minute recovery jog or power walk. Continue alternating three minutes hard with two minutes "easy" until you reach 25 minutes. Finish the rest of the run as normal." Need to figure out what the 80-85% is. This is going to be interesting. There's no way we can run 3 minutes without hitting a hill, so it'll be a slog up it keep the HR where it's suppose to be. This is suppose to get us ready for climbing Mt. Ashland next month . . . . now if only we could do this training with a heat lamp to simulate how hot it's going to be in Ashland in July! Have a good one, ya'll! MTA: Hey, today is National Donut Day! Yep, I celebrated with an Old Fashion (donut, that is, not drink. Big grin )

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Nice pics Jewels! I'd say she must have inherited some good DNA! Big grin Leslie - the max HR formulae aren't so hot, I used this with until I could no longer accelerate (I didn't use a friend, just looked at the heart monitor later and found max HR for the workout). I found out my max was about 10 bpm above the figure derived from formulae! . 2-4 Minute Test. This is a protocol that we have developed and refined that requires (without warm-up and warm-down time) between 2 and 4 minutes to complete. The test is best taken on a track, and it requires a partner who can run/bike with you throughout the test, to give heart rate readings aloud and set the pace. The runner being tested wears the chest transmitter belt and the partner wears the wrist monitor. Start the test with an easy warm-up of at least 5 minutes or 2 laps. Your goal during the warm-up is to get your heart beating to 100-120 bpm. Without stopping, begin the test by gradually accelerating your speed so that your heart rate climbs about 5 bpm every 15 seconds. At each 15-second interval, your partner should tell you the exercise time and your heart rate and offer encouragement as he or she gradually, very gradually pushes you faster. Within a 2- to 4-minute period, if your partner has set the pace correctly, your heart rate will cease to climb even with increased effort and pace. You'll know you are there when you can no longer accelerate and you hear your partner repeating the same number. At this point you've reached your Max HR and either you or your partner can call an end to the test. Source: http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm Plus you can count it as your speedwork for the week. Big grin Arla

Ex runner

Thanks, Arla. I'll give that a look at this evening. For tomorrow, I'm going to increase my HR to 155, which is Karen's max (3 beats higher) since she knows what the 80-85% of max is for that rate. In August, Humboldt State University starts back up and has a Human Performance Lab (http://www.humboldt.edu/~hpl/index.html), and for $65 you can have a whole physical profile done: Body Composition Analysis, Aerobic Fitness Assessments , Dietary Nutritional Analysis, Complete Health and Fitness Evaluation Assessment Package. The VO2 Max is $50 just by itself. For an extra $15 you get a complete assessment. Pretty cool.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Oh now that IS cool - and a bargain, to boot! Not sure that I would *really* want a body composition analysis, tho' Undecided Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

3.6 sucky miles, too much coffee and back up to 20 mpw again. better get to work Our wheat across from the house yesterday. Rain makes grain. Photobucket

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Nice pic Farmer Jim.....very beautiful. Cindy, love the utube video! Both girls have had their share of boys that I just couldn't stand. One kid (after my daughter broke up with him) would call our house LATE at night and leave very nasty messages on the answering maching. It got really ugly. He then threatened to burn our house down. I went to the police and told them if this kid calls my house one more time and threatens my daughter, my husband is going after him and I can't promise you he won't snap! The kid ended up stealing a gun, breaking into houses and was put away for a couple of years. He's out now. I still see him around town once in awhile and I hear he's bigtime trouble. Ugh! I just got up. I was a very bad girl last night and didn't turn in until after midnight. Stepson, wife and their 3 year old are down from Massachusets. They did Disney yesterday and got back to the house around 8 p.m. Next thing ya know the neighbors were over (and then some). Steamed garlilcky crab legs and some cold drinks was the menu for the night. Dang it! No run for me today. I would for sure pass out. Have a super weekend yall! Jewels
                        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                          Jewels - You naughty girl! Big grin And that kid - scary, scary, scary. Farmer Jim - Gorgeous picture! Thanks for sharing. Across from our house - weeds and berry bushes. Lovely, very lovely. Although it's better than the alternative, which will happen soon enough - houses. Blush My first trail run today since Forest Park. Didn't do too bad. Am starting all the HR training now, so that made things more interesting. We also started steady-state running on the hills in order to get ready for SOB, which will be a lot of climbing (up and then down Mt. Ashland). It was really hard keeping my HR between 142-145, but my recovery time, when I'm over, it fairly short. So, hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll be able to keep a fairly steady gait up the hills for the 3 min. periods without having to walk. It's really windy here today. The pollen count is high, and my allergies are pretty unhappy. I think I need to go lay in the yard and read for awhile. Wink Later, All!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance