Masters Running

Mondaily 1/15 (Read 39 times)

evanflein

My son and his wife were in Hawaii (Kauai) when that happened. They were leaving that day and their flight was delayed about 8 hours. He said it was just nuts, but some people were just resigned to whatever was going to happen. Crazy times.

So we've been here in NY the past few days, and I've been running the last three days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and at the end of yesterday's 8.7 my shin was really getting sore. Decided it was just too much running on hard surfaces so today was going to be the treadmill in the fitness center. Nope, it was immediately obvious that was a bad idea. Not sure what's going on, doesn't really feel like a "shin splint" but maybe it is? Hope it's nothing worse than that that a few days won't take care of, or at least make better. So.... 20 minutes (2.52 miles) on the elliptical and some weights/core stuff.

Spinners concert on Staten Island last night was fun. I didn't realize the ferry to Staten Island runs every half hour (more often during week day "rush hours"), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at no cost to passengers. Pretty amazing. We were outside for a little bit going past the Statue of Liberty on the way back, but it was pretty cold out there. Tonight we're going to try to get in to Trevor Noah's show, but we don't have guaranteed tickets. Just the right to go stand and wait to see if we can get in. If not, we'll go see a show or a movie or something. Head home tomorrow afternoon.

bioguy

Hi all

6.5 miles today; 1.5 warmup then 600 meter intervals with 400 recovery. Felt off and I wasn't hitting paces. Very damp cold plus some uncomfortable GI issues made for a less than stellar time at the park.

Did get a few nagging chores/emails/phone calls made.Need to do some lesson planning now.

Tailwinds!

Quick post from work - hit the gym for 2.6 miles on the treadmill before my 7a-7p shift. Nice way to start the day!!

denise

4 miles mostly on a dirt track.  Knee felt great.

Going to shoot for 10 -15 miles this week, then see if I can ramp up.

Did I mention it was 57 F and sunny?  I wore shorts (white legs) and 2 T-shirts, but had to remove the long sleeve after 2 miles. It's been unseasonably warm and sunny this long weekend.  

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps reminded me I need to rad more.

Hey, we already think you're pretty rad, to the max, man....

Tramps - your book recommendation reminded me of a book I read recently, The Child Finder, by Rene Denfield.  A bit dark, actually, haunting and suspenseful,  but I highly recommend it.

Bioguy - nice start!

Erika - some rest now may impact your mileage goal, but if you want to have good running during the good running weather, maybe it is time to take a break.  I remember when I lost a whole season because I couldn't bring myself to take 4 weeks off.  Kicked myself in the butt for the next 8 months.

Enke - send some of that weather our way!

So, today I had to get both an emergency doctor appt. and an emergency dental appt.   The dr because I apparently developed a bladder infection or UTI over the weekend (it has been literally 17-20 years since I have had one of those) and the dentist to look at my broken implant.  I did manage to get in to work for about 2 hours.  I have antibiotics for the infection, and tentative good news from the dentist.  He took x-rays and doesn't think I have broken the implant or my bone, but rather the abutment that is the link between the piece in your bone and the crown.  He sent the x-ray to the oral surgeon and I have an appt next week.  If this is the case, the cost will be reasonable and it will mean the implant didn't fail.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly- that would be great.  Hoping for the best.  Sorry about the UTI!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch, then as time was short I only got 6 in after work

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, with MLK Day I went for another long run.  I went out to where the local half marathon will be run and ran most of the course (and a bit of other areas around there) for 13.5 miles total.  Around 1:48 for the time.  Was cold at the start and warmed slightly.

Went to see Darkest Hour during the matinee.  Thought it was quite good.  Even the subway scene (never happened) seemed to tie in well with the movie.  The entire cast was good....and Oldham was exceptional.

As for books, I've been re-reading some of John Keegan's that I read years ago.  For Christmas DW got me his history of WWII, that will be next.

Need to get a spin profile written for tomorrow.  Have a great night everyone!

12.3 @ 8:16...but I walked a bit (don't tell anyone)

Holly; good news about the implant!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Thanks bioguy for the start.

No, Tammy, I was not at the game...which is good for anybody who would have been unlucky to sit next to me.  I have witnessed too many Vikings disasters in my days and this looked like another one in the making.  I refuse to allow myself, though, to get sucked into believing they can go any further....I will not get sucked in...I will not get sucked in....I will not get sucked in...

I started my new job, today.  It certainly was different than my last.  I start later and get off later which will take some time to get used to again.

I went 9 miles, tonight, on the treadmill which included 3 x 2 miles at a 6:40 pace....it was not fun.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

Holly, hoping all will be well with the implant. Sorry about the UTI, you sure know how to maximize the "bummer" event efficiencies! And yes, I know I've been thinking about the "pay now or pay x2 later" injury thing a lot. Our 2018 in 2018 team was in First place after week 1! Wow, week 1.... So, yes, it would be smart to just take the rest of the week off. And you know, I just might. We'll get a workout in (of some sort) in the fitness center downstairs before we leave tomorrow.

Surly Bill, your average pace is still pretty smokin' for walking breaks.

Holly beat me to the "need to rad more" comment from C-R. 

And nobody thought twice about Twocat posting that yesterday (Sunday) was the 15th... Proofreaders, we are not!

Meant to say the other day that Dave is a good guy. Way to go following your gut on Cindy needing help.

After waiting in cold temps for almost two hours, we got in to the Daily Show! It was great. Loved it and fun to see some of the "behind the scenes" stuff about the show. Stopped for some Indian food on our way back to the subway station (had Italian for lunch earlier) and now back in our room, all checked in for our flight tomorrow, and waiting to see the Daily Show on the Comedy Channel in an hour or so. Fun to think we were there!

Mike E

MM #5615

Meant to say the other day that Dave is a good guy. Way to go following your gut on Cindy needing help.

Yes—I meant to say something, as well.  I thought this was very cool.  Just goes to show what a nice guy he is.

Quickadder

For the first time for many years I have succumbed to a cold. The LR on Saturday felt fine but within hours I was feverish and all the other symptoms. Slept for almost 24 hours solid and now feeling much better, but probably another couple of days before I run again.

On book recommendations I was reminded of ‘Three against the Wilderness’ by Eric Collier (1959).

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Everyone is dropping like flies from the flu here; we've been spared so far (I put blood on the door). Kids go back to school Wednesday, so I suspect they might bring it home then because their schoolmates will have gone out and mingled with the masses during this 4-day weekend.

Evan; my run today was not so fast, but thanks. It helps that is was 60-65 degrees and calm, yet again. It's supposed to rain a couple days this week, thankfully I have enough food stored up, and a treadmill!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

It's supposed to rain a couple days this week, thankfully I have enough food stored up, and a treadmill!

*Snork!* When the going gets tough, and all that, right? Hope you prevail!