Masters Running

Saturday! Saturday! 2.17.24 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I woke up early this morning, even though I won't be heading out for a workout until our racewalking training session in a few hours. My built-in alarm didn't want me to sleep any longer when there is an opportunity to be productive. After our training session this morning, we're going out for coffee and to do some more planning for a summer racewalking clinic. We're having some challenges lining up a track and classroom that the coach/host wants to lead the weekend-long clinic. So I'll be leaving here at about 7:30 to get about an hour's walking in on the small (12 laps/mile) indoor track before the rest of the crew arrives. I'll take it a little bit easy today because I have a short race (a race!) tomorrow, which will be my first since before knee surgery. If I'm lucky, I'll be back home by noon today, and ready for a nap.

BTY, I'm always impressed by the detail with which you plan, execute, and then assess your workouts, be they swimming or strength workouts. You take a much more analytical approach to them than I think I ever could.

Jay - is the increasing sea level encroachment going to create more wetland or is it blocked from further inland intrusion and will just cover up the wetlands you have to be lost by just making it deeper?

Excellent question, Tet. As the seas rise, they will certainly convert more currently dry land to wetlands. We can't really stop that unless we can stop the seas from rising. Our concern is with the salt marsh: We're working very hard to acquire more land around the edges of the estuary so that, as sea levels rise, the salt marsh will have room to migrate. It dose so by slowly raising its own height as sediment is deposited in the marsh at high tides. The reason we are so concerned about the salt marsh is because of all the essential services it provides to humans, as well as avian and aquatic wildlife. The big thing it does for humans now is absorb water at high tides to minimize any potential flooding impacts. If the marsh is under water all the time, instead of just at high tide, the peat (which is like an absorbent sponge) will turn to mud, and the salt marsh will become a giant mud flat, and all those services will be lost. And then, to put it in scientific terms, all those people nearby who are at risk of tidal flooding will really be screwed.

Deeze, maybe you have to make it clear to the girls that you love the one who give you a hug and says she loves you first just as much as the one who does so last. And maybe you have to decide the order, and make it different every time. I realize this can get to be pretty intense, but I was also thinking how good we'd have it if this were the worst problem we had to deal with.

Nice 3.2 miles, Steve, and good work on the PT things too.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Since everyone seems to be sleeping in or taking advantage of a holiday weekend I’ll add my few words to Jay ‘s excellent recap.

Out for a windless (for a change) 1.7 mile walk with the marathon hordes. Marj joined me for the last part after doing some needed shopping.

Deeze, we do a group hug with the grands and they’re happy. Kisses and love are earlier- not at goodbye.

Tramps

Jay--interesting salt marsh info.

Henry--Nice walk; must be fun to see all the marathoners.

The girls have been constantly competing for who gets the last kiss or hug or says I love you as they are leaving and it’s getting distressing!!

Deeze--if you have to have a problem, who gets the last hug or kiss isn't a bad one to have!

Speaking of which, this was very sweet: 100 Small Acts of Love. (Some of you may need to step up your game. )

Henry's walk was windless, mine was very gusty. I enjoyed my trail run so much on Thursday that I went out and did it again. 5.3 miles amidst the trees creaking in the wind. We got some rain overnight so trails were a little muddy in a few spots but not too bad.

Enjoy your weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks, Jay.  A RACE!  Welcome back!

WWEEELLLL- best laid plans.... I was going to meet the group at 6:30 on the path where I like to run and it was going to be REALLY cold (24 and windy). Robert Earl got me up before 5 and I had to take him out and it was just miserable and I decided that I could not face that weather at 6:30 for a run. So I bailed. Turned up the electric blanket and went back to bed. Finally went over to the path/park and started at 9:30. It was still very cold with a wind, but the path is pretty sheltered. I had originally planned to do 10, but decided I would be lucky to get 5. I did 8 1/2. I really think the Reclast infusion has an effect on my legs. No study would even show this, but I remember from last year feeling like crap. It's not my heart rate or my breathing- it just makes running feel hard- ESPECIALLY the first couple of miles. Anyway, I was pretty proud of myself for doing it. When I pulled in to park at the start there was a young guy SHIRTLESS! It was 26 with a feel of 19 degrees. Really??? But I got it done. I dressed correctly for me with the light puff jacket from Lulu and a warm Rabbit layer under it and the Gypsy Runner Cold Gear tights that I swear by. My Apple watch made it through the run but was at 10% battery (started at 85%) and shut off right after I finished. I think cold weather really affects it.  The Garmin was still at 84% when I finished the run.

I would prefer to not leave the house, but a large white dog wants a walk, so catch y'all later.

I would create a schedule for the goodbye hugs/kisses.  I'm afraid drawing names or flipping coins would not always work the right way.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

We got a couple inches of snow overnight. There is nothing I like better than running in the snow, so I checked the Parkrun site and the race was on, so I drove to Charleston and ran my 28th Parkrun. A good number of us went for coffee afterwards. I stuck around for an hour visiting.

My plan was to take it easy and I started with a 10:11 mile (into a chilly wind). Someone passed me and was going about my pace so I just followed along for a 9:45 second mile. Then I sort of lost control and wanted to pass a certain person and ran mile 3 in 9:00 to accomplish that. And then 1:05 over the last .13 stretch.

3.13 miles

30:04

17 of 38 overall

1 of 1 AG

My back is a little tight still from the fall down the stairs on Tuesday, but my elbow and shoulder are a lot better today. I bumped my elbow on a door frame and that didn't feel too good. But that's about it. I just to learn how to walk through an open door without running into the side of it and I'll be ok.

TammyinGP

I got in 6 miles yesterday afternoon and then a 10 mile trail run this morning. the goal was 11-12 but after about an hour of running it started raining, then raining harder, and then even harder. So I was near the TH at mile 10 and decided to call it a day. A drowned rat day.

Tammy

coastwalker

Hi again, Masters.

Good workouts and races reported today (so far) by Henrun, KSA, Tramps, Dave (well done!), and Tammy.

That's a pretty impressive and thoughtful roster of acts of love, Tramps. For DW and I, one of the things we do is, when we are home, we cook and enjoy our leisurely Sunday morning jazz breakfasts together. It is a nice, relaxing way to ease into the day with each other.

I came back to report that I got in just under 5 RW miles on the indoor track this morning - 3 on my own, and the rest with the crew that showed up today. Two of us are racing tomorrow and we opted to take it easy, although I fear that I'll feel tomorrow that I did more today than I should have. So it goes.

I hope you're still having a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey kids, I had such a wonderful vacation but I think I came home with the strep throat. No fever though. But a super flaming hot throat and some misery attached. Oh well. This too shall pass.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59 too bad you cannot do my winter runs for me.

Holly S. I hope it passes fast.

Have I mentioned that I hate winter? I woke up to another snowstorm!  I tell you we are going to need two summers without a winter to warm back up. Given it was snowing. Also, given I am not Dave59. Also, given I hate winter!! Also, I am not so keen on running in a snowstorm, I did 5 exciting miles on the treadmill. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good run, Dave.

Oh no, Holly.  That hurts!  I hope it eases up and that you don’t get a fever or anything.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tammy and KSA, awesome dedication under nonideal conditions!

Holly, hope it clears up quick, or off to the doctor girl!

A hint of Spring kind of day here (sorry Twocat). I spent some time adding picture frame wire to 2 large pictures my DD wanted me to hang on the wall. Then cooked some lentil soup. Then did some yard work, then went for a 3 mile walk. Perfect, 52 F, light breeze, partly cloudy. Heading to Portland tomorrow with MBE and then the Oregon coast for a couple days. It will rain but I will be working remotely anyway.

I did a bit more research and really felt like I needed to tell the VP/MD more information on this study she was misquoting. Their data is pretty weird and we shouldn't even be comparing ours to theirs. So, I ended up writing a polite email (she can't interrupt me that way!) to her and my boss, first apologizing for my outburst and then explaining my point of view that they didn't get, and also adding more about another potential issue. I Cc'd our statistician as I know he gets it. After I sent the email, I logged off work and have decided not to check for a reply until Monday so I can stay stress free this weekend. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Deeze--if you have to have a problem, who gets the last hug or kiss isn't a bad one to have!  

Deezie - for sure. That's the kind you deserve. Good luck. 

Jay - sounds like a plan but, since you haven't been racing for at least a half year, a plan that might be hard to keep in check as the competitive juices get flowing again.  However, just remember we can be competitive with ourselves and not necessarily against everybody else all the time but good luck.  Just be sure you're being competitive with the now Jay and not 20 years ago Jay, .  .  . unless you're like Dave and still running so strong, . . . even in snow! 

Holly - huh?  I had to check out if  strep throat was found Jamaica or you might have fotten it somewhere else and, sure enough, after finding out it was found in the "nose" and, voila! "throat," there was a Pinterest one that, though "I came back from Jamaica exhausted and sick with strep throat, . . . (a) few days later all I can think about is where I want to go next" so good luck for a speedy recovery.

Tramps - thanks for the NYT link. With only getting a handful in the first twenty, I'm glad there's no scoring, . . . I guess, and will be saving the remainder for a big wait coming up tomorrow.  I hope they have a bringing-in-the-flowers from the yard one in the rest of the list or, better yet, everybody here chip in one or two and make it 120 instead of just 100.

Speaking of flowers, instead of going back to the hillside parks and stairs I'm rejoicing in after two-and-a-half months of wondering when again I can manage them, if ever, I took advantage of another warm day in the 50F's with the sun still breaking through until the long promised rains finally show up by tomorrow by taking the third of the three bus lines coming by our sr. residence the mile-and-a-half down to the arboretum (instead of all two miles down to the lakeside) mainly as a check on the February flowers to compare to the upcoming cherry blossom, rhodedendrun, etc. season that's usually in full bloom by St. Patrick's Day, if not sooner due to this year's mild winter. Except for some winter higan cherry blossoms, not a sign of any budding on the more abundant Yoshino cherry treess (like WDC) but some of the rhodys are already starting to burst out of their buds, I may make the two mile outer loop and dozens of interconnecting trails a more regular stop as spring arrives, especially since the Japanese garden is across the street. 

ps - the three-and-a-half miles in two hours was very competitive with myself.

pps twocat - even though you're a skier, except for it raining all the time, you'd probably like Seattle's mild winters for running with only one or two days each of sticking snow all winter long (unless like this year's as some are with none so far) as a half dozen ski areas are within an hour drive and several w/i two hours. 

ppps - however, please don't ask me about the now quality.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Karen/Enke, that sounds like a good, professional way to handle it!

Dave, congrats on winning your AG at the parkrun! 

I like running in snow, too.  Which is what I'm headed back to tomorrow.  Today we're up in the mountains near San Jose, close to the airport for our flight tomorrow, so I did a 1.5 mile run and a 3 mile hike with DH around a pretty lake.  It's so refreshingly cool here compared to down at the coast, but still shorts weather.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Here is wishing Enkephalin a nice time in Portland and the Oregon Coast. Stay away from the work email Smile.

Nice racing Dave59.

Twocat, so sorry to hear that your weather is not cooperating. I hope you don't have a race tomorrow so that you will not run in such bad weather condition.

Coastwalker good luck with your race tomorrow.

Tammy, that rain sounds awful. I would have stopped that much sooner.

RunnerKSA, I always enjoy reading your postings. Nice run today.

Tramps, nice list!

Holly, it looks like you and your DH had a great time vacationing. The place you stayed at looks amazing.

Henrun, are you guys back home or are you still traveling?

The day gifted me with a sunny and great running conditions. I started the day going to a friend's house to help her shave her hair as her cancer treatment is making the hair fall out. It can be a very emotional moment when shaving one's hair due to cancer treatments. My friend and I cried a few times together and laugh some too. Such a lovely bonding experience. I started running well after 11am, which was way later, but I got it done. 16 miles in the books, next week is 12, then Tokyo. I am tired and hungry now. Off to find some food in the fridge.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hi friends - thanks for the tips with the girls. We kiss and hug as soon as I get them, during the visit and the end - no lack of that around!! I think the problem started with Nina being a little imp and knowing it bothered Maria if she got in one more. I tried telling Maria she does it because you let her get to you and the last kiss or hug is no more special than the first or the ones in between, but she wasn’t buying it last night. Their mom is going to spend some time talking to them too because she said it is driving her crazy!! 

3.1 miles before work this morning - saw a couple of cute ice sculptures in front of Dana Farber and the adjacent building.

Twocat - I hate winter as well! Really hope to be a snowbird after June 2025

Enke - hope you have a stress free few days

Tammy, KSA - nice runs today!!
                                Dave - hope you aren’t too sore

Holly - feel better

Carolyn - sounds like a rally nice day

Jay - good luck tomorrow

Goodnight - work again tomorrow

denise