Masters Running

Racewalk clinic (Read 275 times)

coastwalker

For anybody who is remotely interested and available, I'll be giving a racewalking clinic in Portsmouth, NH on Sunday, Aug 23. It'll be at the Portsmouth High School track, and starts at 9:00am. No charge, so stress, no muss, no fuss. Wear shorts and your most flexible running shoes.

Questions? Send an email to me at coastwalker at comcast.net.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Very cool coastwalker. I'll be on vacation then, but if you'd like I can post information about the clinic on my running clubs website?

It's not so far away and you would likely draw a good bunch.

coastwalker

I can post information about the clinic on my running clubs website?

That would be great, Karin! If you'll send an email to me (so I'll get your email address), I'll reply with a PDF of the flyer for the clinic. You can either post the flyer, or take the information from it for your club's website - whichever is easier.

Have a great vacation,

Jay

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - let me know if you can include the PNW on your agenda sometime, . . . or have any links.

in the meantime, in case anyone forgets their shoes, our runningbarefoot guru

has one down in Huntington Beach this Saturday (8/15) for running/walking barefoot. 

Hope you can try it out racewalking sometime too.

Maybe too much heel touching though.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/running-shoes-barefoot-2501777-foot-saxton

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Jay - let me know if you can include the PNW on your agenda sometime, . . . or have any links.

in the meantime, in case anyone forgets their shoes, our runningbarefoot guru

has one down in Huntington Beach this Saturday (8/15) for running/walking barefoot. 

Hope you can try it out racewalking sometime too.

Maybe too much heel touching though.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/running-shoes-barefoot-2501777-foot-saxton

Hi Tet,

This will be my first clinic - can't say yet if there will be more. Dave McGovern (http://www.racewalking.org/) gives racewalking clinics all over the country, and his clinics are great. Check the schedule on his website to see if there is one coming up in the PNW.

I just remarked on another forum that the heels in my shoes are still in remarkably good shape when the rest of the shoe is showing significant signs of wear, even though the heel is the first point of contact with the ground on every stride. An efficient stride means that you are quickly and easily rolling forward from that point of contact, rather than it being something jarring. So I don't know that racewalking barefoot would create problems at the heel. Remember that the impact with each stride in racewalking is approx. 2 times bodyweight vs. 7 times bodyweight when running.

Jay

Check your messages here Jay or e-mail me at k a g e or g e at comcast dot net.

I'll see what I can do about getting the information posted.

Cheers!

Karin

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave McGovern (http://www.racewalking.org/) gives racewalking clinics all over the country.

. . . each stride in racewalking is approx. 2 times bodyweight vs. 7 times bodyweight when running.

thanks for the link jay, and especially the pounds for step for race-walking and running. 

I never did too well searching for the heel-running vs. mid/fore-foot poundages

in case you've seen that comparison too.

hope you get to do lots of clinics. Maybe list your upcoming races and invite other walkers who might otherwise be intimidated from official events to join you in the fun. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)