Masters Running

Saturday April 11 Celebration Runs (Read 388 times)

dg.

Hi everybody! I have to take off again so will hope to catch up later. I'm sort of behind for the whole week except for drive through readings... Doug, WTG! SteveP, it's so cute thinking about DGS painting eggs.. Tall, you can borrow some of my seconds any time you'd like. A short run this morning, according to my Polar, 3.25 miles, 9:02 average pace, 7:25 max. Didn't wear HR strap. Officially a 9:15 pace, 1 in AG but only because it was totally cherry picked & so it doesn't mean a thing! (sorry Tom). Windy but a very pretty day. Great seeing you Tom, & meeting you, Larry. ok, off I go.
      SLO_HAND I cannot tell you how much I have missed post-run hot chocolate! Anybody who has not gone that route for a recovery drink has no idea what they are missing! Tallrunner I somehow suspect you will do just fine either on your own or with a new coach. Once I can run again I am thinking of trying one out to see if it is worthwhile. What has been your overall experience with versus without?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

First run in 12 days, slowly getting over this infection/inflammation. I was very nervous. Didn't feel great before the run, or during the run, but in the magical way that is running, felt great after the run. 3 miles with some walk breaks. dg, was that a race report??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

40 minutes of pool running last night. Was doing really well until the guy in the next lane decided to do the butterfly... badly. What a splasher! I don't mind getting wet if I'm going swimming, obviously, but just pool running I keep my head out of the water and would really rather not get soaked! (yes, I am that high maintenance) I got new shoes today! The mail man delivered them right to my door instead of leaving them down by the road. What a nice guy! And I think they'll work ok... I'd tried the Asics Speedstar in a smaller size and sent them back. Now I think I've come to terms with my big feet and will probably like these size 11's. They sure are light! Also got the Asics Landreth, which I've never tried before but my buddy San Souci likes them so thought I'd give 'em a try. I'll run later, have 7 or 8 on the schedule and will try for some MP miles.
            SLO_HAND I cannot tell you how much I have missed post-run hot chocolate! Anybody who has not gone that route for a recovery drink has no idea what they are missing! Tallrunner I somehow suspect you will do just fine either on your own or with a new coach. Once I can run again I am thinking of trying one out to see if it is worthwhile. What has been your overall experience with versus without?
            I first had a coach two years ago and he was wonderful, ie: Made me run smarter, slowed me down without being a prison guard about it. He was realistic and had a great attitude on life. I switched coaches this year in the hopes of learning new things and I did on some levels but I do not like to run in such a regimen that I am reprimanded for being a few seconds too fast in a k, etc... First coach was grounded in his approach, this new coach was like a prison guard. I think partly my knowledge of running and my questionning of his tactics to better understand the philosophies and principles made him uncomfortable. He wanted everyone to follow his way without questionning his approach. Not my style. It's all been positive...Although I like to train hard, I like to have fun to..so for me at this stage in my life it's better to be coachless and enjoy running for running. I plan on getting faster but not by counting each second, split and calorie..Life's too short and I enjoy running and life's up and down's... Crazy Tall is called crazy for a reason. Off to make scalloped patatoes. Big grin Big grin

Recent Best times: None recently

xor

Kicked ass. Took names. (ok, not Tramps-level asskicking and certainly not my man rbbmoose, but MY level. And I did it two days after 6x1200 intervals, 4 days after a 35 minute tempo run, and my 6th marathon in 6 weeks.)

Mariposai

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW you would seriously kick some a###ssss in your marathon today. I was also wondering about your odd way to taper with the speed work out you did two days ago. Man, were is that belly dancer when we need her? thanks Tet. Wink Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to read your RR.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I first had a coach two years ago and he was wonderful, ie: Made me run smarter, slowed me down without being a prison guard about it. He was realistic and had a great attitude on life. I switched coaches this year in the hopes of learning new things and I did on some levels but I do not like to run in such a regimen that I am reprimanded for being a few seconds too fast in a k, etc... First coach was grounded in his approach, this new coach was like a prison guard. I think partly my knowledge of running and my questionning of his tactics to better understand the philosophies and principles made him uncomfortable. He wanted everyone to follow his way without questionning his approach. Not my style. It's all been positive...Although I like to train hard, I like to have fun to..so for me at this stage in my life it's better to be coachless and enjoy running for running. I plan on getting faster but not by counting each second, split and calorie..Life's too short and I enjoy running and life's up and down's... Crazy Tall is called crazy for a reason. Off to make scalloped patatoes. Big grin Big grin
                  The absolute one thing you must have in a coaching relationship is trust. I tell people, "if I give you a workout, I want you to understand why you are doing it and if you don't understand it, ask me and I'll explain it." I also like to ask the runner, "how do you see this week shaping up in terms of total work and quality?" Then I have the runner outline the week and only make tweaks to it if necessary. That's what a good coach should be doing for you Tall. SRL, what does it mean to kick ass? Tell us the time and results. Nice going for you, whatever it is, and a good lesson that you can do some hard work in the week before your race as long as you are fit. Spareribs
                  xor

SRL, what does it mean to kick ass? Tell us the time and results.
                    I will when I write my race report (which I usually do about a week after the race). Of course, that means folks who are interested will have to weigh the +s and -s of clicking a link that takes them out of the Masters area of RA Smile.
                    Man, were is that belly dancer when we need her?
                    Well, uh, based on most of the bellydancers I see at races (Portland is famous for this), they DO make me run faster because I want to get away from them. Yeeeks. As for my odd form of taper (reverse taper?), the key is that this was not my goal race. This was a planned workout on my way to my goal races which are in July. So, I didn't kick ass in an absolute sense, but I did exactly what I set out to do on a day when my stomach was not my friend.

A short run this morning, according to my Polar, 3.25 miles, 9:02 average pace, 7:25 max. Didn't wear HR strap. Officially a 9:15 pace, 1 in AG but only because it was totally cherry picked & so it doesn't mean a thing!
                      A "short run in the morning?" What way is that to write your first 5K RR? Step right up and pat yourself on the back (or will we have to read someone else's report on this milestone?).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Afternoon, folks! Doug - congrats on the heavy metal and the PR - super!! dg - more details, please!! I thought of you as we drove into Michigan last night. In my last minute, frenzied packing, I totally forgot to pack my swim suit, so no laps in the pool. I can see the pool from my motel room, so I am a little bummed. enke - good to see you reporting a run again - glad it turned out to be a good one. It's colder here in Michigan than I had expected, but it is good to be back for a visit. This morning I did 11 miles at MP with AHR of 162 - 30 degrees and a stiff breeze when I started. The run was followed by a visit to Sweetwater Donut Mill - I really miss the Dutch Crumb donuts - yummy!!! srlopez - congrats on the ass-kicking! Good runs, everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Good afternoon masters! Congrats Rochrunner...hardware and PRs are always fun! Tall, good luck w/o the coach...sounds like it'll be more freeing for you. srlopez, congratulations!....you're a machine...looking forward to the RR! Thanks to a missing street sign (and me spacing), I went off course so my 7mi run turned into a 10+ mile run. Unfortunately it was also at marathon pace, at least the first seven. I think I'll go easier tomorrow as I'm feeling a bit sluggish. Hopkinton is looking spiffier as we get closer to the marathon start...lots of fresh paint on the roads near the center. Boston Marathon's George Brown statue got a final and fitting home at the starting line (among other things, he fired the starting gun for 32 years)
                          -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                          also on Twitter
                          TammyinGP

YAY Stevie Ray!! Can't wait to read all about it! good to read that Enke got in a run today! very nice! Congrats Doug! and you are too modest - that race definitely deserves a RR! congrats to DG also! I ran 12.25 today - 10 of it was a race. Had a great time. This is the largest race in our region with over 3000 registered for the various distances offered. There were 1600+ for the 10 miler and I just had an absolutely blast! Will write up a report later

Tammy

Slo

Just back from a my first official bike outing of the season. I must say.....things look promising. I was definetly one of the stronger bikers in the group today. All in all, a casual ride but the wind and hills always add an element of work. Friday.....20 min tempo, Sat am 11.1 miles, 1hr 33 mins, Sat early pm 28 miles, 1hr:45 mins........Pretty good work out in the last few days. I wonder how my glycogen stores are doing......I got another 10 I'd like to do tomorrow yet! Twocat.......Nothing like a cup of Hot Coco waiting for you after a cold winter run. My youngest DD is always good about having it ready for me. That ice cold pint of choco milk sure hit the spot today!

Renee the dog

Oh so much good news on this thread today! I will comment later -- this line dark line in the sky that I've been hoping would move off just started MOVING while I was reading here. Moving fast! Sky is getting much lighter. Gotta go run! See ya in a bit!!!!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!