Masters Running

Tuesday, March 30 Runs (Read 539 times)

deez4boyz happy birthday!  I hope you get a pile of great birthday gifts!

Holly S.  I have never been to a game in a suite, let alone the Presidential suite!  Wow!  So you gotta report back!  What was it like?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Happy Birthday Deez!!!!

Holly - How fun!  You deserve it.

Mary - Me thinks B'Nellie was getting a tad jealous of the new babies and mom.  Wanted a little more attention.

Riding a bike 6-8 miles during the course of conducting one's job duties - now that's dedication!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--I'm sitting here watching the game.  I guessing your perspective is a little better than mine.  About half way through the first half, I said "Oh, Holly lives in DAyton"    Did you wave to the cameras?  Hope it was fun.

Mary--glad that B'nellie is fine.  We took Max when he was limping around--he was so excited to see everyone at the vets that he didn't limp at all once he was there.   He got some doggie advil out of the deal.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Mary I'm so glad!!!      Not that I want to be a pest or anything but you know we really could use some more puppy pictures.  And another B'Nellie picture would be appropriate.

Well Rosie that sounds like a lovely run!   How did you go about making friends with the wind?  

Speaking of Buckeyes... Doug, who else did you say is from Columbus?

Enke I think it is the norm but it stinks.  We don't have dental insurance... and there's something about those procedures that makes it just so wrong to have to pay for them.

Tom that is neat!     And thanks for the reminders...

Sue, omg, I forgot about your hand!!!  Hands aren't supposed to sizzle.   are you ok???

Holly & Karin have a great time!!!   It sounds like fun even to me :-).

Derrick it's good to hear from you.  I was wondering earlier how you are.   Any answers yet?

Nice run Sarge Smile

Leslie, it's too late!   (me antsy???)     thanks for the reminder.

Twokitty I hope the rain stops.

Slo thanks for the apple tip.   Is your DD better?    How did your project turn out?

Bill, that's funny, esp. since it's ok now.. but too bad, I was hoping for pictures!   How is Deb's back?

I'm out of energy.   The surgeon says all is well!   I was a little relieved... there's been a bump that hurts a lot & it just didn't seem quite right to have a bump.   He says it's completely natural.    He also says....  he doesn't care how much I run.   Realize his nurse says he's out of touch (a surgeon thing) !  & to wait 3-4 weeks (but maybe 2)....   but I'm telling you this does not help.   the ants go marching one by one.   ... I can wait a little while, I really dont' feel quite up to it yet.   but very soon!!     Can't decide whether to say this or not..  he told me that during the surgery he found out there was fat in the hernia... how weird is that?   and that it was purple. which meant it was almost completely strangulated.  He said that was why I'd had so much  pain a while ago & felt so sick, (was relieved that I hadn't been making that up somehow, you know when you keep wondering if you're blowing something out of proportion?)... and that soon I would have been in extreme pain & they would have done emergency surgery.   So.  The point here is, it was time to do it, seems it was a good call!   For some reason, that was good to hear. 

Ok somebody tell me if I should delete that!  

SteveP, how are things?

Happy Birthday Denise!!!!!      Welcome to the golden 50's.   I hope you have the best time!  You certainly deserve it. 

Maniac 505

DG: 

You should not delete that.   good call on getting this taken care of.  And RE:  when to run?  I would believe the doctor,  not the nurse.  I will never forget a bone scan for a stress fracture.  the nurse said "You have  a really slow heart rate.  if it is any slower you will need a pacemaker.....................  unless  you are an athlete"

I was really surprised to learn today that I do not need glasses,  but my drug store cheaters should be 2.5 diopter instead of the 1.5's that I have been using for a while.

I have to get a physical for professional credentials every 5 years.  2 years ago I was told I almost failed.  (I need 20/200 correctable to 20/50)  Today I was told I have 20/20 left  2/030 right     I left with a prescription for bifocals.  don't know if I will fill it.

EZ 8 miler today.   I will probably do a 15-20 in a couple days then taper for the Mariposi Wenatchee in a week and a half

dg.

thanks Dave!    .... well maybe I will run a little sooner.  I'm being cautious because a lot of people posted how they'd come back too fast after surgery, sometimes with their surgeon's blessing, & had had problems.  & here's the kind of thing I've found online..

Here are the standard recommendations for returning to sports following a hernia operation:

* Avoid activities that stretch or pull the abdominal muscle for the two weeks following the operation.

* Progressive resistance exercises and conditioning can begin at two to three weeks.

* Abdominal strengthening can begin after the fourth week.

* For indirect hernia repairs, an athlete can return to non-contact sports at six to eight weeks and contact sports eight to ten weeks after surgery.

* For direct hernia repairs, an athlete can return to non-contact sports at eight to ten weeks and contact sports at 12 weeks after surgery.

If your surgery can be performed laparoscopically, your layoff will be much shorter than if your surgery is performed through an abdominal incision. For laparoscopic Laparoscopic
              A minimally-invasive surgical or diagnostic procedure that uses a flexible endoscope (laparoscope) to view and operate on structures in the abdomen.

Mentioned in: Obstetrical Emergencies  repairs you may be able to return to walking/light running, as you feel ready, probably within two to four weeks. For your return to your running program, start out slowly with walking, then alternately walking and jogging. As is always true whether you are a new runner or returning from a layoff, reconditioning should proceed gradually in order to avoid injury. Limit your increases in mileage and speed to 10%, as a rule of thumb. What that means is to make a gradual, gentle progression. Stop and rest if you feel discomfort. If it persists, contact your doctor. "

this was written by a doctor but of course i don't know anything about him.  

So, your eyes got better?    How?      I hate bifocals.  But need them, or an equivalent.

Maniac 505

DG:

I don't think my eyes got better,  I just think the eye doc that I saw today was more accurate then the nurse that had me read the chart a couple years ago.

(and don't get me wrong.  I Love nurses)  but sometimes there advice is only marginally better than internet doctors.  (and often WAY better) 

FWIW 10 years ago my eyes were 20/15,  20/20  I guess slipping to 20/30 and not being able to read without cheaters just became hard to take

good luck on your recovery.   I don't even play a doctor on TV,  but just don't push it and I bet you will be fine.

Dave

((((dg)))) You are right to be cautious and yet each person is so different when it comes to healing. No advice here, but just hoping that you'll be well.

Early 8 mile run for me and a bit spooky. 5 am in Springfield, Ohio and I didn't choose the best route. A car tailed me during the last miles of the run---kept reappearing, slowing down, etc.  An 8:00 minute pace target run turned into more like 7:40 pace and quite the pounding heart as I got back to the hotel. Yuck 

The day ended on a very high note as Holly and I saw the UConn women put away the Fl. State team and go on to the Final Four. Fun time and Holly and I met some nice people and actually had a non-running activity to enjoy. I'll also see her tomorrow morning for a run. Awesome!

While I am all over Ohio this week, the fire department had to pump out our basement and our neighbor's basement as well. We live on a hill too (and yet in the Ct. River Valley that was once under many feet of water eons ago) Shall we say that cranky was the mood at home when I checked in?

Happy Birthday Denise!

I am well behind on race reports and more and will get back on track soon---hectic travel right now and not home until late Friday.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

DG: 

You should not delete that.   good call on getting this taken care of.  And RE:  when to run?  I would believe the doctor,  not the nurse.  I will never forget a bone scan for a stress fracture.  the nurse said "You have  a really slow heart rate.  if it is any slower you will need a pacemaker.....................  unless  you are an athlete"

Ahem.  Dave, as a nurse, I hope that you aren't saying one should automatically believe the doctor because of what that one nurse said to you. And what she did tell you was probably true, a person with an extremely low heart rate who is not an athlete could have problem that would require intervention.

From my experience, as both nurse and patient, it is the nurse who usually gives more extensive discharge and recovery instructions.  But I say "usually" because I'm sure that some doctors give better discharge instructions than some nurses and some nurses give better discharge instructions than some doctors.

As for DG's case, I believe the doctor was not specific enough.  And that the information DG found on her own was better.

I think the most important bit of information here is how to get back into an exercise program.  I think, no, I know from personal experience with abdominal surgery (although mine was done laparoscopically) that starting back to running (2 weeks after surgery) without walking first is a mistake.

I, basically, had to start my recover over.  Go back and take the steps I missed at first.

So.  Dear DeeGee, if you feel up to it, start walking.  Not running until you've walked.

You won't get any prizes for being able to run sooner than someone else.  Why not do it right the first time?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Maniac 505

Oh Man,

as soon as I hit send I knew this would come back to haunt me,  and I am not surprised that  you are the one that justifiably called me out.  Maybe, I should have said something like "listen to all the source, visit the internet, and do what seems best?"  or maybe I shouldn't have said anything 

and no,  it wasn't just that one nurse,  and I have had horrible advice and diagnoses from Doctors.  That was just an example I threw out.

My dive buddy at the aquarium was a family practice physician.  He loves the info that is available to patients on the internet, but he says he is sometimes frustrated because they often find something that looks good to them and insist that he prescribe a pill/procedure.  Us internet doctors don't necessarily have the ability to filter the internet like a trained doctor/nurse/health care provider can.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

No worries, DiveChief!  (Remember, I consulted YOU when I was trying to understand my cousins "bends")

I also should add here how DG saved my life.  For over two years I battled strange abdominal pain and went through extensive testing.  Twice, I ended up in the emergency room and those doctors would say, "The only thing we can find is some distention in the ileum."  More than twice I was sent to the Gastrointestinal guy.  He did a battery of invasive tests and told me, "There is nothing wrong with your ileum. I can do nothing for you."

So I would have these flare ups but, instead of going to the ER, I just waited it out.  Ouch.

DG and I communicate with each other via G-mail.

She wasn't going to let me suffer.  So she did a thorough search on the internet and found something that neither my doctors or I thought about.

She ended up hitting the diagnosis exactly.

Ileal endometriosis

Within two months after DG's diagnosis, I had surgery that probably saved my life.  My doctor said, "In thirty years of practice, I have never seen a case like yours."  (This was my gyn.  I never even thought to talk to him about the abdominal pain, since it was not even close to being pelvic pain.)

You just never know who is going to save your life.  It could be somebody all the way in Michigan with no medical training but good common sense.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Wow RCG!  What a story.  And Yay to DG for being such a Good Friend.  Post of the Day!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

dg.

Dave, like Rose says, no worries.  You were trying to help.   Everybody's experience is valuable... we're all capable here of adding it into the mix to come up with the best answers.  I've had that sinking feeling after I've hit post too!    (just like the purple fat post ).      I know things you find online are of mixed vintage...and it can be hard to tell.   I was looking because I've had incomplete and wrong information for things in the past.  It's frustrating, this shouldn't be so hard I think.

Barbara, thanks.   (shuffling feet....)...   I just got lucky.    I'm so incredibly grateful to have actually been able to help.  It was awful what you were going through.

Here's what I think it important.    I remember that I felt silly when I was looking for information. And even more so sending it,  because I couldn't imagine I'd found something that hadn't been considered...but I had to on the outside chance that it could help.  So you never know!      We're always trying to help each other around here. Sometimes it works, sometimes we have egg on our face.  ;-).    I think it's wonderful.

ok Rosie,  I'll walk first.  

thanks Byll.

thanks Karin.    and be careful!!!!!  that's so scary.