Masters Running

Slip Sliding into Tuesday, February 23 (Read 580 times)

evanflein

Erika--check out George's signature line

Well geez, making me go figure things out by myself, hmm? Shoulda looked, thanks.

Glad you got help right away, George. I suffer from Scandinavian stubbornness (DH calls it block-head-itis) and just believed I could run through it. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Byll, glad you guys got together, just wish I could've joined you!

. . . the reviewer made a positive reference to a similar 1983 movie called “Tender Mercies” starring Robert Duvall that I had never heard of.  

Without commenting on any other posts (because I haven't had time to read them), I am flabbergasted by this statement.    I think this is one of Robert Duvall's finest acting jobs.  And anybody remember him as Boo Radley in "To Kill a Mockingbird"?

I was equally flabbergasted a few years ago when only one or two of my Bonkos gals had ever seen the movie, let alone read the book.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

I am flabbergasted by this statement.  

What can I say?

I was so impressed by the writing in this film that I took the time to look up the writer and learned it was the great Horton Foote! Now it all made sense.

Be safe. Be kind.

Jlynne - I've been averaging around a 10 minute mile on the elliptical.  I thought the mileage would go down after I started cranking up the resistance and had a slower cadence, but the machine seems to compensate, so I seem to be maintaining the same overall mileage.  I suspect the numbness has something to do with not moving the feet around on the machine - it's either pressure on a nerve or a circulation issue, but it does seem to be a universal problem.  I can delay mine by changing the incline and resistance frequently - hence I was able to walk after the 2 hour stint on Saturday.

George - hope your tendinitis issue resolves soon - good job on the elliptical. 

Stumpy - the elliptical might possibly be contributing to your arm pain - if you hang on to the machine.  You are probably one of those coordinated folks who don't have to hang on, but I still don't trust myself and hang on with a death grip - makes for some noticeable residual arm pain. 

dg - kudos to you for your elliptical effort - numb toes and all.  Have you figured out where our brains have run off to?? Might be nice to join them.

Perch - I wasn't thinking about how cold Mass would be in February when I registered DH and I for the race.  In retrospect, it probably wasn't a smart move.  The race is on the Sound, it doesn't start until 10:00 am, it's supposed to be in the low 40's, so it might not be too awfully bad. 

It's been years since I've watched Tender Mercies (Duvall got an Oscar for this role), but I remember enjoying it.  I really like Robert Duvall - I didn't recall that he was in To Kill a Mockingbird - thanks Leslie!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tempo/hills Tuesday for me in the sleet/rain mix---light though and no big deal as it was 35º at 8:30 when I went out---good messy run. 14.8 miles with 2x25 minutes @ 7:15-7:17 pace on a hilly course that mimics the Boston course in some ways for where the hills are placed---downhill at the start and lots of rollers in the last miles--pushed all hills hard. Legs are tired now but in a good way.

Sue, I've run the Hyannis half in the past and it's a good race---one year in driving sleet and snow and the very next in bright sun and 40 degrees. It's usually a fast field in both the full and the half and the parts along the ocean are beautiful. The late Ted Kennedy was out walking his dogs when I did it years ago and he cheered for everyone with that booming voice of his.

Keep the faith Holly----all your hard work will pay off and it could well be a cold weather issue. or maybe you need a bit of a break---after Boston? 

Puppies soon!

Sport or not, I stayed up to watch the ice dancing and loved it. On to more hockey now!

dg.

Jlynne - I've been averaging around a 10 minute mile on the elliptical.  I thought the mileage would go down after I started cranking up the resistance and had a slower cadence, but the machine seems to compensate, .

dg - kudos to you for your elliptical effort - numb toes and all.  Have you figured out where our brains have run off to?? Might be nice to join them.

thanks... I don't know!    & I'm wondering about that rejoining thing....  a clean break, & all.... worth considering!  ;-) 

seems weird to me that the machine is compensating, but that might just be 'tired'.  

Holly, are you sleeping the whole time?  I've been waking up around 12 or so, & staying that way.  

Any experience with umbilical hernias?  I know I really just need to get it fixed but that's a pita.  Lately it's been behaving fairly well, but yesterdays heavy shoveling really irritated it.  I hurt & was nauseated all day.  I hate it when that happens. 

Hey Beerdog.   How is your dad? 

Mary, very yummy cake photos.  We live close enough, one of these days, huh?

Tramps, thanks for the movie suggestions.  Robert Duvall was Bo???  I didn't know that!   I'm such a slacker. 

mta... Hi Karin! 

wildchild

Carolyn

Tom - time to put away the Yaxtrax, don't you think?

Geez, that's wishful thinking, Jeanne! 

Holly, at least you get faster in the warm weather. Some of us are slow all year.

Yay Mary, I can't wait for puppy pictures soon!

Hi George, glad you came out of lurkerdom today!  Good luck with the recovery.  So it took you 4 months recovery for a tibial stress reaction?  Was that 4 months off entirely? I'm currently recovering from the same thing - I  took 1 month off entirely, and have been doing an easy run/walk mix every other day for 3 additional weeks, but still feel tenderness in my leg some days.  I'm being careful to stop if it bothers me so I hope I'm not setting back my healing.  Sue has the same issue but in her foot so I'm sure she'll appreciate your input too.

Wish I could have joined Breeger and Erika's DH for lunch, and not just for the company but for the warm outdoor setting too!

It warmed up today, at least down in the flatlands. It's almost 40°.   But I forgot my yaktrax, and the paths and trails are all snow covered from the storm on Sunday.  The sidewalks are clear but I don't want to run on concrete with my leg issue, so I'm planning to go to the rec center between work and the school band concert tonight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

I should watch some of those movies sometime. I have a hard time though... sit me down in a nice chair, dim the lights and I'm good for maybe 10-15 minutes. Then someone's knockin' me in the shoulder or head saying "Go to bed!" and I missed everything. The boys were so amazed that I stayed awake all through "Julie & Julia." Normally, I watch a lot of movie beginnings but couldn't tell you how they end.

Scraped off the ice on my car and made it to the gym at lunch. 4.5 miles, mostly 8:49 pace with 5 x 1 minute @ 7:53 with a minute of 8:49 recovery in that 4th mile. Helped the time pass...

I should watch some of those movies sometime. I have a hard time though... sit me down in a nice chair, dim the lights and I'm good for maybe 10-15 minutes. Then someone's knockin' me in the shoulder or head saying "Go to bed!" and I missed everything.

Boy, can I relate! I've started taping the shows I like to watch on a regular basis ("24," "House") because I usually end up dozing off and miss half the story line. I don't think getting up at 4:30 helps much either.

Loved Boo Radley - loved "Two Kill a Mockingbird." I'm going to have to rent "Tender Mercies" now after all of the glowing reviews. Just finished "Catcher in the Rye" while we were on vacation. I haven't read that since high school. If you think your life sucks some days, read poor Holden's story. I wonder what would have happened if there had been a sequel...

Renee the dog

4 treadmill miles in the bank for today.  And so it goes...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Boy, you all are chatty today.

No run, decided I wanted to chow down a big lunch instead.  It would have been 5 days in a row running, so I was probably tired and hungry for a reason.  Will run tomorrow in the nice 45F plus rain.

So Holly is going to run her next marathon in bikini shorts?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Actually Holly, I've been giving this some thought.

Do you run slower on the TM in the winter as well?  Or are you about the same on the TM, with similar temperatures in your garage? between winter and spring/summer/fall.

I'm just trying to figure out if it is a metabolic/training issue or a cold temperature/bulky clothing issue.

FWIW, probably my fastest race ever was in winter, ok, above freezing, maybe 37-42F, but I had tights on and other stuff.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Maniac 505

Hopeful looking forward to the pictures end of march

(((Holly)))  not much to add,  spring is just around the corner.  Like Enka,  my fastest marathons have been when the temp was around 35 (and if it is above freezing I run in shorts)  those haven't necessarily been my most pleasant, but they were the fastest.

10 somewhat sproinky miles today,  1:32.  I feel more prepared for the Bataan marathon then any I ran last year.  still not fast though.  I'm getting happy with the base I am building.  I may start seeing about throwing some speed work back into the mix this summer............. or maybe not,  we will see.

Dave