Masters Running

Rainy Friday Runs (Read 385 times)

Morning -

Tramps - Very nice to hear!

Doug - for the new waistline.

JLynne - No, I don't get regular checkups for my gut.  When it bothers me, I just watch what I eat (mostly no caffeine, chocolate, or alcohol) and take meds to cut down the acid reflux.  When they did the endoscopy on me the first of the year, they found two "inflammed" spots, but they aren't ulcers.  Could fool me sometimes . . .

30 min biking to nowhere this a.m. while finishing up "Double Jeopardy," then 1 hour of core/strength training.  Coach has me doing core at the beginning and end of my strength training, so I suspect I'm gonna be a tad sore by tomorrow.

Off for the ole squish the boob test this a.m.  So much fun!  And I know - TMI!!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I got out for a trail run after work last night - 5.25 miles in 59:59.   Another interesting time on the Garmin!    It was 90° in town and 73° when I got to the trailhead - life is good!  

We're leaving tomorrow morning for a backpacking trip, although we haven't decided where we're going yet.  Maybe  the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming, where we go most years, or maybe somewhere in Colorado.  We'll be gone a week.  I'm worried about how I'm gonna get to 100 miles for July, since I only have today and tomorrow morning before we start driving to run 15 miles.  It's impractical to plan to run on a backpacking trip - I don't want to carry running shoes, and running alone in the wilderness is not a good idea.  Not to mention that backpacking doesn't leave a lot of extra energy for running. I know 100 miles is only a number, and I love backpacking with my family more than I love running, but I have a 15-month streak of at least 100 miles per month.  (Last July was 100 exactly, as we went backpacking that month too, and I fit in the last 6 just before we left.)  I'll give it a shot - maybe 9 after work and 6 in the morning?  It's always good to take the dogs for a run before a long car trip to get them tired.

I won't be home till Sunday August 2nd so I hope you can all wait for the July Masters Miles thread!      Maybe someone would be kind enough to start the thread for me on Saturday, and I'll tally up the results the week I get back?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Enjoy your backpacking trip Carolyn.

Good plan Enkie. Take it slowly, take it slowly. What about Wenatchee Half in April? I  will be there  (always the Saturday of Boston marathon).

What is the last word from Tall?

Note to twocat's editor, sorry for confusing Crete for Prague, but...just get busy with them pictures

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

What about Wenatchee Half in April? I  will be there  (always the Saturday of Boston marathon).

Watch out, now, you might not want to make solid plans there.....I fully expect you to be running AT the Boston marathon very soon.....

Carolyn - very kewl!  Have fun!

Doug - yay!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm worried about how I'm gonna get to 100 miles for July, since I only have today and tomorrow morning before we start driving to run 15 miles.  It's impractical to plan to run on a backpacking trip - I don't want to carry running shoes, and running alone in the wilderness is not a good idea.  Not to mention that backpacking doesn't leave a lot of extra energy for running. I know 100 miles is only a number, and I love backpacking with my family more than I love running, but I have a 15-month streak of at least 100 miles per month.  (Last July was 100 exactly, as we went backpacking that month too, and I fit in the last 6 just before we left.)  I'll give it a shot - maybe 9 after work and 6 in the morning?

Ok, I am not this obsessed.  Thanks Wildchild.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

You're welcome, Enke.  Glad to help.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

You guys are funny. And as for getting busy with those pictures.... um, Mariposai? [tapping foot impatiently...]

The smoke cleared last night and it was really nice on the soccer fields. DS2 had a good game and scored two goals! Sort of unfair, they played a team a year younger and really cleaned up with them. But, it's a good workout for the younger kids and gets our team one game closer to being eligible for the state cup tournament (they're playing in a different league this summer--men's league--and needed 4 comp. youth soccer league games to be able to play in the state tournament).

Smoky to the south, but pretty nice here so far. Should be a beautiful weekend even with the smoke. My race on Sunday starts high enough to be above most of it, but we descend pretty fast so it'll be interesting. Highs in the low 80's for Sunday, which could be a problem near the end. (better than rain on that trail, though!)

I'll get a short easy run in at lunchtime, it'll be something like what Lou did so gawdawful early...

Congratulations, Henrun and Marj!  You two are great examples against those who think that running is bad for people, and especially "older" people.  Thank s for the inspiration, guys! 

Happy runs today, all.  I had a good one yesterday, and will  do core exercises today, unless I decide to hop on the exercise bike that I have set up in the garage.   Woods Lady

henrun and marj, good job on your races.  roch, congrats on the weight loss.  I agree, retirement is good.  It's almost worth getting old.

Nice long runs for Tramps and CNY (with speedwork).

This morning  it was about 60° and almost calm.  I did 3 miles in just under 29 minutes for a 9:39 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Great seeing Henry and Marj continue to run and race frequently.  Great leaders in our sport.

I love CNYrunner!

Fatozzig, I would be happy to help you with that.

4 miles in 36 minutes and not even a twinge in my back, so I declare myself all better.  Spareribs

Renee the dog

Seekrit note to twocat & editor: 

Just got off the TM doing 2.75 mi of 4x 30 sec SteepHillSprints.  w/mi warmup and cool down.  Did some lengthy stretching this morning along with a yoga session, foam roller work and some thighmaster to keep my kneecaps on straight.  Anyone happen to see my kids anywhere?  

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Sounds like it's mostly a good friday out there for everyone!

Glad to hear that Tramps and Ribs, continue to run smart.

Good on ya Byll for taking a rest day, they are soooo important, especially when life throws a lot of stress your way.

Nice speedwork CNYrunner!! Wow!

Rest today, ran 3.5 mi yesterday in 30 minutes (8:33), keeping it just above easy.  I'm back from CA and back from the trip from he!@#!  The airlines got us in an hour late, lost my luggage on the way there.  Then on the return trip after getting up at 3 am for a 6 am flight they had mechanical problems that delayed us for another 8 hours so that meant I wasn't going to get home before the kiddos would be in bed.  To top it off, the airline lost my luggage AGAIN on the way back.  We were so busy during the trip that I only got in one 47 min run and definitely no speedwork so we'll see how the 5 mile race goes tomorrow.

I've learned in the past that when traveling it's hard to stick to a normal running schedule so I have since let up on that but it would have been nice to get in two runs.

Looking forward to meeting Holly tomorrow at our race!

Happy Fri & GL fellow racers!

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Woo Hoo, my Wednesday trial just settled with a misdemeanor.  I'm going to go out for a run instead of working thru lunch and will check back with y'all later.  It's 80 and sunny out there, so you understand my haste!

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                            dg.

hi everybody

I peeked in this morning & smiled to see henrun starting the daily!   but didn't have time to post.  still don't, really.  I've just skimmed a little.  

I keep seeing references to Doug's new waistline.   I don't remember you needing one Doug!   

guess I'll just have to catch up later.  I hope.  

nice warm fuzzies having the beers back.

I hope Mary is ok.     

Nono, they're in my office.  They're making tents.

today the plan called for 1 mile at rec. pace, 3 @ 10K pace w/2 minute recoveries, & 1 more @ recovery pace.  I need to program my bells & whistle packed polar to do this better.  I'm pretty sure it could do it.   The run went well, (if you are me.  if you are you, you would be weeping & gnashing your teeth)   1.5 mile at 10:56, then 9:39, 9:43, & 9:28. last was 10:13.  overall 10:08, 8:30 max. ahr 160, 176 max.  Rests were only 1.25 & 1.35 minutes.    the one bad thing was that my knee hurt for the first time while running, so far it's just been with other things, but I saw the doc today.

oh hey guess what.   My doctor is with the Detroit Medical Centers.  They are.. not sure the exact term, but working with the Detroit marathon this year.   He is going to be on channel 2 news tomorrow talking about this, I'll have to try to find out when.  Anyway, he suggested that I come in every 3 weeks or so, to keep things progressing smoothly during this training period.  (he's a D.O.)    As long as the insurance company likes it, I think it's just what I need.     Today, he said both the ab thing & my knee are likely related to all of the falls, & did a few things that have helped already.   I'm so relieved! 

Marathon Maniac #957

Looking forward to meeting Holly tomorrow at our race!

Amie - I'm looking forward to seeing you there, too!  What colors will you be wearing, so I can find you more easily?  I think I'll be wearing a plain light blue singlet and black skirt.  Look for my bushy ponytail.

Dg - good news!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."