Masters Running

Sunday, June 27th runs and such (Read 624 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Goodmorning all.

Went out at 4:15 this morning with my trusty headlamp.  Ran from home to the airline trail, then 7 miles along the trail.  Total time: 3:15.  Total miles:  22.  Total cuts and bruises:  a lot.  AsI was approaching one of the gates before a street crossing, at about mile 6, I caught my foot on a rock, and did a header.  Actually, more like a shoulderer, as I slid along on my left shoulder.  Scraped up my shoulder (lots of blood), knee, arm, and hand.

As I lay on my back, with my headlamp illuminating the sky, a car drove by.  The road next to where I had fallen is a dead end, so the driver probably lives near there.  Did he stop?  Nope.  So I got up, did a preliminary assessment that nothing was broken (except for my stride and pride), and determined to continue on as if nothing had happened.

Only saw  one other runner the entire rest of the run.  Why was he looking at me so funny?  When I got home, I saw why.  Now my shoulder hurts when I raise my arm above my head.  Long-suffering's response?  "Then don't do that."  She knows me too well.

Yesterday I was supposed to give blood.  The blood takers are on strike, so I thought I might have to cross a picket line.  Nope.  I guess they're not up at 7 am.  Anyways, made it to the donation bed, and the nurse said sorry, no donation allowed.  I had one tiny poison ivy bubble on each arm near the needle stick zone. At least I had a good pulse (46) 

I feel so rejected.  Well, my grill eating dog still loves me.

Happy runs to all. 

PBJ - Oh so sorry about the road rash.  As someone who did that just a week ago I can sympathsize.  And I hurt my rotator cuff tendon in an unrelated incident.  I thought the nurse would turn you away for all the cuts and bruises.

TomS - nice speedy 10K!

Dave that was a good marathon with only an 8 mile LR for prep.

I took the family down to the track Friday night to do a lap or two.  I beat the kids of course...pace 6:56 for 1/4 mile which I thought was pretty good considering I wasn't going all out.   Then the kids finally convinced my DH to run.  He is 30 pounds overweight and has done no exercise in two years, and has bad form.  Wouldn't you know it, he ran the lap same speed as me.  Boy my ego was squashed!  Then I went off on my own to complete 4 miles.

Saturday I was lazy and a Blizzard (the ice cream kind) got in my way so I never ran.

Today I will hit the horse trails for hopefully a LR of 8 miles to hit 20 for the week.  My mojo is a little lacking these days.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sorry to hear of the fall PBJ. It can screw up a good day thats for sure.

I started out to get 8 today but had to cut it short at 5.6 because of lightening. It was a carpy run anyway. I started out in a great mood as I parked at the head of one of my favorite trails. It was overcast and muggy with a chance of storms so these trails loop back about every 3 miles to the parking area. Kinda like a four leaf clover. My thought was I am always within a mile or two of the truck.The deer flys were so bad I almost bagged it after the first loop. They were swarming me and biting my shoulders and head. I always tell my wife I must look like a deers behind because they love me. The  sweatier I get the better I taste to them I think. Anyway it started to rain during my second loop which gave me a reprieve from the flies so that was great and the rain felt good so I settled in and was thinking I would finish up with one more loop. Just as I approached my truck the heavens opened up. You couldn't see ten feet! Then the lightening bolts started . The straight down with the big boom variety so as I passed the truck I could not make myself continue on.

Oh well I was probably due for a back week anyway. Or I may try again later in the week but not likely as I go on 4X10 hours starting tomorrow.

Better runs to you,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Maniac 505

Sorry to hear about the fall and Enke, I hope you are healing well.

Rest day today but I mapped out my training schedule to lead me to twin cities this morning.  For the first time in about 2 years I will do some speed work and actually have a semi regimented training program.  everything is feeling good now but I will be quick to cut back if things aren't feeling right.

Legs are only slightly feeling the effects of yesterday's  run,  I will make tomorrow a gym day and start running Tuesday.

6.5 mile easy run

TomS. nice 10k & congrats on the 1st in AG award

PBJ ouch!  Hope shoulder is OK

Larry good choice to cut the run short with Deer flys & the lightning   Save it for a better day  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

dg.

PBJ don't do that!!   oww.

enke... does DH have long legs?   (it doesn't count then..)    It was really good that you got them all to the track!

TomS, congrats on your 10K!    and to DW, I didn't realize she'd been through all that.  I'm glad she's made so much progress, she must really be determined.

Larry,  I hate deer flies.  & the lightening made it a no brainer.

nice 6.5 Sarge Smile

Erika thanks for joining me yesterday.     belated happy anniversary.   and, congratulations.  

DiveDave, nice results for a 'untrained' marathon!   good luck in your training.  will be interesting seeing what you're doing & how it works!

13 miles today, it was 67F & 97% H to start.      I think I exchanged all my vital fluids at least once.   I don't have a polar or watch or anything right now, so my best guess at pace is 10:54, that is including all the water breaks & pitstops.      It was hard but nothing hurt much.  : )

I look my best blurry!

PBJ - ouch!   You are having a rough time, aren't you?

enke- Beat the kids while you can!  That's what I say!

I'm back!!!  I had to take 3 days off due to some leg issues.  Really can't figure it out.  The race last Sunday and my LR Wed just added up to "leg issues" for this wannabe.  Today I went out to the lake and I didn't know if I would run or walk.  I reluctantly/cautiously got started and managed a total or 6.6.  Woo Hoo!  I ran 50 min of hard paced pumping in the pool, added some core work, stretching, iced my crankier leg and did just a little sun bathing to reduce my white thigh tan lines.  All in all a great workout.  So relieved!!!  I can run!!!  Yay!  

dive, good job on your marathon.  enke, it's neat you ran a bit with your kids and husband.  Years ago, my wife used to run and I had no interest.  In my mid to late 30s, I would, on rare occasion run a mile or mile and a half and be faster than her.  She didn't think it was fair that she worked at it and I didn't but I could still run faster.  If I'd tried anything longer though, I wouldn't have survived.  It would be nice for your husband to run but, if he does, I hope he takes it easy and builds up gradually for his health's sake.  hallar, good call on ending your run due to lightning.  That's nothing to mess with.  I occasionally meet up with those darn deer flies and really dislike them.  They sure can bite.

Nice long runs for PBJ (with road rash and sore shoulder) and dg.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and foggy.  I did 4 miles in a bit over 36:30 for a 9:09 pace.  I did 6 laps around the high school track alternating slow laps with laps where I pushed a bit.  The 3 "fast" laps were 1:56, 1:58, and 1:56.  That's nothing for most of you but, when I tried the same thing two weeks ago, they were all over 2 minutes.  I think these two experiences are my only "speed work" in my 11 years of running except for a few farleks.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sorry -  I haven't had time to catch up on my reading yet.

No run for me yesterday.   We went camping and I suggested we drive around to look for sales as I am in the hunt for an old wheelbarrow - the wooden kind with a metal wheel.   Lucky me found one, but they guy would not part with it, so the hunt continues.   I did get an old red flyer wagon though at an auction - all rusty that will look cute with some flowers in it.    Then we found some farm animals made out of metal and painted that are just too cute to describe, so I'll have to take some pictures.  Big grin

This morning my plan was to get out for a longer run before the storms came, but they came earlier than I had anticipated.   This afternoon I finally got out around 12:30 when the sun was shining, then it started to rain, then pour, so I sought shetler under a tree for a bit and continued on in the lighter rain.   Then I started hearing thunder, so I called my knight in shining armor and he rescued this drowned rat.   Only got in 3.5 miles.  Sad     So - now I'm going to go to a movie with DD as the weather is on again off again rain and humid as all get out.

Happy Sunday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Yesterday, I consult D. as to the weather and he assures me I'll be fine b/c "those aren't rain clouds."  Righto!  I head  out for my 13 miler.  What I didn't know is that the clouds were hail clouds that flung golf ball size hail down right as I got to mile 12.  I managed to cross a busy 4 lane (had to wait at the lights, oucha magowcha!) highway and duck into an overhang at a grocer's to wait it  out.   

Way to run, Dave!  I'll have to be careful and Not bet on anything re: TCMarathon.

Pedey's got a fractured foot.  I'm bereft.   And what the heck is a "hyper-extended knee?"  This is Clay's problem.

Nice job, Tom, on the 10K.

Enke--next time, organize them into a relay team to run against you, then you can get in your miles while they realize over distance, you can beat them all!

PBJ, as a frequent faller I have every sympathy.  And worse than the car passing you--one of my friends drove by me yesterday while I was standing at the light, honked, and waved.

sadly,

Masters 2000 miles

Hallar and Mary - good calls going home once the thunder hit.

Yes Tom, I was quite peeved that DH ran as fast as I.  But then I realized he would never be able to hold it for much longer.  I told him he should pick up jogging again and he actually started to think about it.

Very happy that I got my 8 miles in on the horse trails.  That is as long as I've run in about 5 weeks!  Not too mucky anymore, there is always a path along the edge to skirt the muck.  I did stop a few times to sit on a log and stretch  my tight lower back out, and the run went well, except for my Garmin cutting out on me twice during the first mile.  It said I was doing a 16 min/mile pace or something.

Dive and Tet:

On my way home, I saw a bunch of 6 or 7 runners going along Richards Rd. in Bellevue.  Three of them had marathon maniac yellow singlets on.  I thought maybe they were doing a ghost of RnR marathon, but using the old Seafair course instead.  Whaddya think?

ETA - big hail!! wowsa, sorry to hear about your pooch, Aamos

My knee is doing much better, doesn't hurt to bend, some of the scabs are starting to fall off - reminds me so much of being a kid.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

That's the way Enke----1/4 of a mile at the same pace...ok, but more than that, Naw---he would be toast! No wounded ego now.

PBJ! So sorry about all the road rash. Now that we've had three road scraper falls here at RA---Mine was a month ago and my elbows are still tender...I gave a lot of blood to the road and surrounding area and cried in the shower it hurt so much. Me, Enke and then you PBJ...let's hope 3 is the charm.

I've been on the road like a big dog and have missed a lot here---sorry. I was in Georgia all last week for work---Atlanta and then Greensboro. Talk about running in a sauna all week. Wowsa. Off again in the coming week for four days. Vacation time in late August is looking good 'bout now. I've been running lots as always and still having fun. Ran a 10 mile race in Montpelier, VT today in fact. 17 miles total on the day and the race in 1:10:30----1st in 40---49 age group and 2nd woman overall---6 minutes faster than last year too. I went with a friend and we had a blast even though it's a bit of a long trip for a 10 mile race (2:40 each way)

Hurray dg on nothing hurting much and 13 miles! 

Hope the leg issues continue to behave wannaberunner

Good running divechief and smart to rest a bit before you start up again.

Yeowch Aamos! 

Maniac 505

Enke:

Yep,  there was a Bellevue Ghost marathon maniac race today.  Maybe 15 or so maniacs registered for it, 

And Aamos,  hope you aren't too bruised.

Dave

lamerunner

Greetings! Looks like some great racing. Great 10 miler Karin. I think I ran that race once back in the early 80s while in law  school in Vermont.  Montpelier is pretty. Wannabe, glad the legs are better but take it easy!

Today was truck pickup day; I took DD up to Conway to pick up the pick up. Small black Ford Ranger, the dream of every 17 year old girl (!)   There was a bit of a puddle on the driver's side floor; something leaks, and the HORROR, no CD player.  I helped her figure out what was where and then she bravely drove off.  She sent me a funny text saying she was behind someone in the gas station buying 5 packs of cigarettes and 7 scratch tickets. He will need the scratch tickets I guess. This after we saw a woman walking down a busy road in full body mosquito netting ....

After driving all t he way up there, I figured I should at least get a trail run, so I headed home via the Kancamangus Hwy, parked at the Lincoln Woods trailhead and went for a run. About 9 miles on the East side trail; I thought I could have done more but the trail got too rough, then another three on the Lincoln Woods trail, where most of the hikers go and where there are still old railroad ties.  So 12 miles, not exactly a real long run but not bad. Fun to be on trails then I put my feet and legs in the river.  The East side trail was very pretty and mostly in decent condition until it got rough and narrow.

Happy running!

Yesterday was 10 miles 

claire pic from last summer in maine......sorry, don't know how to make them bigger.

...PBJ//....hope you didn't shake anything loose...........easy does it.

............dg//.........NICE........

=========

........high 80s this morning...........did 25min 4/1 and had to use the cane......

I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

AND

am probably An Inspiration...............N0T

for FUTURE reference for you guys,

put the handle

next to the hip

and mimick the hip movement,

it REALLY gives the leg a rest.

.................good running guys......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....