Masters Running

Friday 8/17/18 Runs and Other Assorted Mischief (Read 38 times)

^^^Theoretically the salary is set at a level that compensates for that.    Of course, it’s a different standard in California and it’s the only state I’m wjhich our store managers are non-exempt.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

Leslie, a lot of it has to do with independent decision making and discretion. But if she fits into the management type role, it's possible she is appropriately exempt. But that also means they can't dock her pay for missing work (although an employer can have an established leave policy for time away from work), or working fewer hours some weeks than others. It can get complicated, and as I understand it you don't have to file a complaint with the DOL, just ask questions to make sure you're classified correctly. The audit that happened at our office several years ago was triggered by an employee making inquiries.

Deez, so sorry, that really sucks. Hope your DH can get to working again soon, and I hope your leg issue turns out to be more like Tammy's was earlier, and not like mine.

5.5 mostly easy miles this afternoon in grey, overcast, windy conditions. This day sure isn't panning out the way the forecast indicated it would.

8.5 trail miles

Jay; Good job! Congrats!

Salaried employees; there needs to be some reform. I know a few techies who LOVE their jobs and don't mind 60 hr work weeks and 10 days straight without a day off, but people not in a creative job can really get over-worked to the point where they are less productive. For salary people, there ARE times when it's "all hands on deck" and everyone needs to put in more time to meet a deadline, but that shouldn't be the scenario all the time. If more than 40hrs/5 days a week becomes the norm, that's just bad management, failing to staff properly. There should be a threshold where even salaried people working beyond X-amount average hours per week per quarter need to be recompensed for it.

Who said "cheaters never prosper"? That is completely wrong. They almost ALWAYS prosper. It's the ones who get caught that do not prosper; temporarily. I'm not condoning cheating, I'm just pointing out an ugly reality.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I ran 10 miles after work and cross country practice.

Deez--sorry about the injury and the DH layoff...and the MIL.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

TammyinGP

5 miles after work. ourdoors! yes, outdoors! winds are working in our favor for  short window of time and it cleared our air out enough that I felt ok running outside. when you haven't seen green or mountains for so long, it seemed so colorful outside! almost like getting a new pair of glasses and how everything looks sharper and brighter again.  This may only last until tomorrow afternoon, so if air is still good in the morning, I'll try for a double digit run. Haven't done one of those in months, although I've been up at or near 8 so can probably handle a couple more miles.

Mike - I'll be living vicariously thru on with your XC coaching so tell us all about it as the season gets going. I decided to step away from coaching this season. 

Tammy

Mariposai

Holly, does your job description ncludes mandatory happy hour??? You work for a law firm right?

No running here and just fighting the good old fight of breathing. We are drenched in smoke from all the fires.  Marathon is 6 weeks from now.

Happy life celebration to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, yesterday's workouts allowed me to rationalize sleeping in....so I did!  Wound up doing a fair amount of walking at work today.  A friend/colleague came to the base today to see one of his NCOs become an O (from MSgt to 2Lt).  He's at Travis and was lucky based on the pictures I saw--the house is ok but the hillside behind the neighborhood is charred.

Holly, no mandatory events....but we did have "commandatory" events (even had its own dress code, khakis and polo shirt, otherwise known as "colonel casual") where absence was noted (but not commented on).  Now that I'm the colonel I've never given the "commandatory" event but....I'm not naïve.  If I even suggest attending an event it's coming from the "old man" so may feel obligated to attend.

Jay, I'm with the others, very impressive pace!  And congratulations on the shirt!

I have a feeling my life is about to get a lot more complicated as these creams, etc. become more mainstream.

Have a great night everyone!

Am I the only one thinking "mandatory happy hour" could translate into a huge liability case if someone gets in an accident on the way home? 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

So I went, but I refused to be Happy!  I drank my water while I watched the boss open and share several very nice bottles of red wine.  There was a nice cheese, apple and cracker appetizer, but I left when the pizza arrived.  There's only so much self-control.

And I still gained a pound yesterday.    I keep telling myself that since I have been slacking on my workouts in recent months, that I am rebuilding muscle right now, which is why I am not losing weight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Holly, I'd have a hard time with the mandatory send off.

Jay, that's an interesting 10K. Your results are way cool.

Oh My Gosh Deez!!!

A pleasant little two miles after work.

SteveP

Bill- yeah, I made that point.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth