Masters Running

40s 50s 60s + On the Run - w/e (Read 528 times)

"The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." (Steve Roland Prefontaine)

Read this on the back of a shirt of a guy who past us Saturday like we were standing still.  Love it!

After a long days Friday, yesterday, and today - I need a nap.  About a 12+ hr nap would be nice.

Have a good week -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Nice quote Leslie, I like that too. Did I read correctly that Karen and yourself ran for 8.27 hrs yesterday?

The boardwalk is finally free of snow. It's mostly melted now so got off a nice 2.5 hr run in 45* and breezy. Underdressed in shorts as it cooled off,  but a nice bright sunny day at the beach.

Before I forget (again) there was questions on my race sched this year. Since I'm still a ways from a BQ, I have not decided but will probably do spring and fall marathons. Not sure which ones. I'm on the second round of the lottery for NYC, that would be a priority if I get picked, otherwise, next year I'm in it. There's 2 different marathons right here at home, the Jersey Shore in April, or what would be my third turn on the NJ Marathon in early May. I may drive some where else as a change of pace.

I have been having a good time watching the Olympics. Bode finally gets his Gold!

Good Week folks!

Yes, we were out there 8:26 hrs.  Long work day.  That's my longest since my first 50k in May 2008 (8:44), but that's okay.  I figure when you have to endure a long day like that, it's great training for my upcoming 50.

At one point Karen says to me, "Okay, change of game plan.  You're going to go on and I'll get there when I get there."  I just looked at her and said, "Look, you already (bleeped) up my time, so pipe down and start moving."  She loves me!

Here are some good pics of one of the easier mud holes.  The second line of photos, runner 480, is Kate Merrill, Karen's sister.

Karen and Me in the 5th line of photos (she has on the blue and white flower shorts and I'm in the pink shirt).  Lots of good mud shots in the page or two before.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Great pics Leslie and once again, I have to hand it to you. Just the thought of heading out for 6 + hrs of running really takes some stuff. Good Going for both of you and for gutting it out.

Where in the heck did you come up with "absquatulation"?  (I had to look it up. )

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

That is some serious mud and I love, love , love the part where you told her "you already effed up my time so get moving"

Too damn funny......just being out there for that amount of time was indeed some good training. Hope Karen figures out her salt thingy!

Congrats......and you're going to do great at your 50 miler. Did I just say 50 miler? That is a lot of miles.....

Will be scheduling an appointment with the doc as my IT band is in bad shape and again, I'm not able to go more than a mile without pain. *sigh*

Have a great week everyone.........Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

I'm guessing this thread will go on for perpetuity.

thanks for the pics leslie.  tough, tough running conditions.  I guess most trail runs are tough conditions.  Gutsy!

I tried to get in a long run yesterday, but seemingly random icy patches made me turn back.  I got in 2 miles, decided the risk outweighed the reward, went home and took a nap.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

I got in a nice 6er in 2-8 inches of snow @23 deg with mod snowfall yesterday. It was prob the effort of an 8 miler without the impact and just kind of gorgeous surreal run.

Leslie congrats on surving another epic race, glad it wasn't you struggling.

Nice long run Joe.

Carol the best taper week advice I ever got was from Jonathan and that is run just enough to feel like a runner.

As for getting up in that deep powder after falling it is indeed a challenge considering a you also have a 20 pound pack. The first thing is to try and get your skiis kicked out and below you. If they are buried you have to try and kick out sideways or perpendicular to the ground. Next take your poles and make an X with them and push off at the intersection of the x.

Jewels heal fast :-).

Ev our annual forums snowshoe stomp with igloo camping is this weekend. Hop a jet to DIA, simple huh?

Arla that Monterey run sounds pretty cool. We wiil be in Palm Springs next wk for conference. I actually enjoy people watching the natives there, live and let live. Its just kinda boring if your not a shopper in the $$$ botiques or a golfer. or a pool person. We did run/walk some of the trails there but truth is we don't have much free time as we are stuck in a conference room most of the time.

Cindy sounds like some great snow this weekend, maybe we can hook up with you guys in March sometime.

I have been running equipment through the shop getting it ready for spring. Some days I feel like I work at one of those oil change places. I have alot to do as Spring is just around the corner.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I got in a nice 6er in 2-8 inches of snow @23 deg with mod snowfall yesterday. It was prob the effort of an 8 miler without the impact and just kind of gorgeous surreal run.

Sounds beautiful, Jim.  And thanks for posting such a gorgeous picture.

Jewels - Sure am sorry the IT band is acting up again.  Are you seeing a sports doctor?  Or do you have a local sports PT he/she could refer you to?

Slept in today.  Well, as best I could with 4-legged alarm clocks.  Even Grampy was wanting me to get up and feed them.  Tomorrow will get in an easy 3.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hiya Folks, nice pic Jim ! Makes me want to head back up to the mountains.

Mentally whooped last night so settled for just a 3 miler. Lotsa rain today will probably wash what snow is on the ground away,but another round of snow forecast  for Thursday. Yuk!

Top 'O the World!

...So much to comment on, so little time just now to do so....

Hey Folks!  Kickin back with a cup of decaf w/Doug before we call this weekend a close...Was an awesome wknd of snowboarding in fresh, deep powder, lazing around the hot tub, cocktails & good food Smile  We warmed up on the blue/black's of Mary Jane in Winter Park before heading up to the bowl for a bit....been nearly a year since we were up so, well, I excecuted a few less than gracefull cartwheels & crashes! little achey today....ahneedamassage!!

NICE quote Leslie!! Love it!  & Huge Congrats on your race...strangely enough it sounds like fun!

Joe - the picture certainly looks like you're (I'm assuming it's you) moving out in a hurry, but what did you abscond with?

Carol - sucks that your friends changed their minds about bringing you along to CO!!  Is it still possible that you could come?  I may have some options available...the actual Spring Break week can be a challenge, but...

{{{{{{Jewels IT band!!!}}}}}  damme!

Jim - looking fwd to it!  Maybe we'll still have some discount coupons available by then...our you could tour a time share that I know of for a four-pack Wink  or tail-gate in WP?? 

Ev - Big grin

Hey Arla!  & anybody else I missed...

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Morning, Gang -

Jim - You're going to Palm Springs?  The Cabazon Outllets Mall is about 20 minutes or less north (?) of there.  I know shopping's not your thing, but they have a Columbia Sport outlet store that's known for having good sales.  The last time we were there for a conference, I went sort of nuts in that store.  It's a HUGE.

Carol - Are you doing the Cowtown this weekend?  If so, Bobev over on the Predawn Runners forum is running that, too.

Joe - Sometimes just the fresh air and time outside is what the bod needs.

Cindy - The mud WAS fun!   Sounds like you've been as busy as ever.  How's Mairead?

3 easy miles this a.m.  Misread my schedule (thankfully).  Was suppose to do 10, but I'll do those tomorrow.  This week's kind of screwy with me leaving for Conference on Thursday in San Diego.  I'll be hitting the dreadmill since it looks like we'll be right smack dab in the middle of Concrete Haven.  Yuck.

Later!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

This week's kind of screwy with me leaving for Conference on Thursday in San Diego.  I'll be hitting the dreadmill since it looks like we'll be right smack dab in the middle of Concrete Haven.  Yuck.

Later!

Leslie any of these work? Which hotel are you staying at? We stayed close to San Diego Bay for one of our conferences, lots of options there.

http://members.cox.net/sd_run_maps/

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey Jim - Thanks for the info.  We're staying at the Doubletree of the Cabrillo Hwy on Hazard Center Drive.  It looks like there might be a path/small road that runs along a body of water.  I need to check that out a bit closer.

Today I experienced my first birthday at my new job.  All the support staff kick in $10 (7 ladies) and they get you a gift certificate and give it to you with a card and sing happy bday to you.  Nice!

So far The Hub hasn't remembered it's my birthday.   After 22.5 years of marriage, not good, my friends.  Not good.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie--he's sandbagging to lull you into thinking he's not doing anything.  Yeah, that's the ticket   just wait for everyone to jump out and yell "SURPRISE".

I have been accused (relatively accurately) of bad planning around DW's birthday and anniversary, but never forgetting.  Which, considering my memory, I consider a small badge of honor.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.