Masters Running

Monday 1/1/24 HAPPY NEW YEAR Runs and Workouts (Read 43 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

I have been waiting for it to warm up a bit, since I have that luxury today, but I don't think it is going to get  much warmer than it is right now (34 degrees) and so I will head out there shortly.

How did your New Year's Eve celebrations (or not) go?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Hi Holly. Thanks for the start. I hope it warms up a bit for you.

Good 4 miles with and without the local running club, Twocat. How did the birria go over last night? Indeed, it is a challenge to cook without onions or garlic, but where there is a will, there is a way.

Welcome back, Tomwhite, I'm very sorry to learn of your losses, and that you missed DD1 and GS on their surprise (?) visit to Kentucky. A tough way to end the year. Good, and necessary, work on the soccer fields.

Nice 15 mile ride to close out the year, Tramps. I hope you 'party people' enjoyed your New Year's Eve.

Death By 10s sounds like a challenge, Deeze, but I'm not surprised that you got through it. Congrats in getting in the extra 1.8 miles to end the year primed with 1,061 miles. Sounds like a great surprise visit from your youngest DS.

Good 20.2 mile indoor ride, Doug, and congrats on completing the 200km Strava December Challenge.

Nice 30 minutes on the stationary bike and 60 weighted squats, Holly. I'm very glad that you and DH are doing well and sticking to your promises/agreements. Keep up the good work. One of our neighbors is doing a January cleanse/reset, by going gluten-free and alcohol-free for the month. I'm glad your DD is looking out for you, but some cleanses out there make me scratch my head. I didn't watch the UFO hearings because, IMHO, it was just Congress wasting its time and our money.

Good 3.1 mile run, along with some decluttering and grocery shopping, bioguy.

Good 3,000 yard workout to reach a new monthly high of 61,900 yards, which is 34.66 miles, BTY. That's very impressive! Good luck with your 2024 goals, and your retirement target date that is getting closer and closer.

Sounds like a good time at the coffee shop, Marj. How were last night's fireworks on the Commons?

Good abs and arms work, dnaff, and good luck bringing back the hardwood floors.

Good 11 miles with the studs to reach your 2023 miles for 2023, Mike.

Nice 5 miler, KSA for 2185 in '23. I'm glad Kiley is starting to feel better. Good reflection on '23 and plan for '24.

Nice 1.7 to end the month and year primed, Wildchild.

Congrats on the undecorating, Tammy.

Hi Stumpy - Happy New Year to you too!

Sorry about the ongoing pain issues, Tet. As I think I've said before, nighttime is also the worst for me, but I just take some ibu to at least get me started with some sleep. I'm trusting that the pain will diminish as the knee gets stronger.

Good mile with the mutt, Steve, and I'll bet it was a great time with 4/9 Grands.

We just grazed with all kinds of treats last evening instead of having an organized dinner, and it was quite relaxing. We also spent some time catching up with family and friends. Up till midnight? Not a chance - I didn't even think about trying to make it, and was in bed at my normal time while DW was on the phone with one of her 6 sisters..

I was also up at my usual time this morning, and got otu for 4.77 EZ miles in 28° temps, under overcast skies. I didn't see a car or another person the whole time I was out there. I got back and did 35 minutes of knee and core work, and some stretching.

62 recovery miles for me for December, and 1743 racewalking/walking miles for 2023.

Our only plan for today, as we do every New Year's Day, is to go underwear shopping so we can start the new year with new foundations.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mornin' guys.........

sent tet a Distraction Technique,,,,,,,,,,which was a good idea by Surly

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Happy New Year Masters! Started the year with a quick 4 miler on the TM as the temps are cool 17 F and the wind is vicious 18-30 mph from the South. I failed on the New Year's eve celebrations as my wife and I got together with my brother Claude and his family along with my DD and my S-I-L and their 2 girls, Camille 2 yrs old and Téa 6 weeks old... We had a great meal then fell into the wine, sampling some fabulous reds from around the world (a couple of Napa Valley beauts, Caymus 2015 Cabs) and it took til this morning to decide I was going to live... Have a great start to the year Masters and may your feet hit the ground running!

Happy New Year everyone! And thanks for the recap, Jay.

We barely knew it was New Years Eve yesterday and, other than having a couple of candles on our dinner table, kept to our usual routines. I was asleep just after 10PM and had a pretty good night, although my DW was awakened and kept awake for a while by some local fireworks around midnight. I remained oblivious.

I went to the gym this morning where it was fairly quiet and empty. My usual round of weight machines and stretching for about an hour.

I'll probably take down the tree this afternoon while watching one of the bowl games, although for us of course the biggie is the Rose Bowl at 5PM. Based on what they did to the Lions the other day I can't wait to see how the Wolverines somehow get cheated out of a win.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Happy New Year.

I suspect 2024 will be memorable. I hope it's for good reasons.

And I hope there will be fewer injuries, surgeries, and need for rehab here!

We had a wonderful evening yesterday and may have stumbled onto a new tradition. We screencasted all our photos from the year chronologically on our TV, reviewing the many (many, many!) pics we took on our trips from Utah to Nova Scotia as well as the more ordinary stuff from local hikes and camping trips, and pics of family and friends. It was a great way to reflect on our year and remind us of all we have to be grateful for. We ended up staying up way later than we’d thought we would—well past midnight--which is unusual for us.

Monday’s a rest day for me and I’ll stick to that and just enjoy a down day doing some reading and odds and ends.

Hope you enjoy your day.

ETA: Jay--I thought of you reading an interesting piece about Wilmington's coastal flooding issues.

And for everyone, a fun list of trivia (but not trivial) facts from news stories last year. Who knew Bluetooth was named after a tenth century Danish Viking king?

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy New Year all.

Jay - thanks for the lively 123123 recap.

Sub7/Tramps - were we the only New Year's Eve midnighters this year?

Photo organizing the year's, and all prevous years back to grandparents'

photo collections, sounds like a great retirement project for this year.

Deezie - do they use a stopwatch or something to see

what time was the last 123123 baby and first 010124 one?

Though for the first time in 15 or 20 years that we used to do all the time, after it almost didn't happen when a dense fog blocking the view across town for the annual Space Needle fireworks sent DW back to zzzland after the 11:30 pm alarm, she got roused at midnight by the boomings setting them off and, voila!, getting me up too, the fog had lifted enough for a clear view of the fireworks reaching up towards Venus in the overhead sky at top of the Space Needle we can see from the front window.

Though we faced 2023 with trepidation wondering if the end of the decade long rental I'd been tending to on the island would end with emigration to Japan for a while, relocation somewhere not as close as we like to the medical services Seattle offers and otherwise convenient shopping, abundant parks, etc. when, voila!, in June, an opening in one of the few older, in fact, so older that one of their two 50 year old elevators has been being replaced since early September, and more reasonable sr. housings at the edge of downtown with a view of the skyscraper skyline and Olympic Mountains 60 miles across Elliott Bay put us in line of sight of the very hospital less than a mile away where I was born in 1943 and where, at the beginning of December I got a new knee replacement for the one issued back then.

Though recovery has been more arduous that I'd imagined, or was led to believe from the skimpy, if not misleading, pre-and-post op materials provided, it's already way better than the constant painful pangs of pain going on from the knee arthritis of the last couple of years that'd been crimping my enjoyment of the generously abundant and spacious citywide parklands, nearby trails and favorite runnings over the decades so more than well worth the current but temporary exasperations.

In this regard, in addition to KSA and others' regard and appreciation for this group, the medical experiences of Tom, RCG and, especially now, Jay have been a Godsend. Thank you.

ps Tom - thanks for the PM and the previo.......z.....zzzzzzz

. . . I can't wait to see how the Wolverines somehow get cheated out of a win.

Roch - at least, instead of being beaten by the hated The ohio state again, at least, I don't know anything about Alabama to despise about it if they do.  Otherwise, Washington vs. Michigan in my dreams.

ps - in addition to being the first New Year's day in 15 or 20 years without the polar bear plunges at the end of the local 5K Mr. Knee is putting off until next year where the run warms you up enough for the immersion into the cold lake water rings reminiscent of running with skin red hot into the lake we used to do from the mountain cabin sauna that took 10 or 20 seconds to feel the cold shock of and running back into the warmth of the awaiting sauna, with the hated former and thoroughly discredited UW AD Mark Emmert's final sayonara from his sinecure presidency of the NCAA being giving ESPN exclusive rights to the Rose and Sugar Bowl semifinals, unless there's some bandit streaming on Tiktok or Youtube, it'll be back to listening to the bowl games on the radio like in the really olden days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, Holly and Jay and Happy New Year, everyone.  We had our group Resolution Run this morning.  I was by myself at the back, but added on a little to the 10K to get 6.6 miles to start the year.  Some of us headed to Starbucks afterwards to continue socializing and to get warm.  It was not cold by Sub7 standards, but 32 and gloomy with a little wind.  I didn't like it!   Kiley relapsed a bit yesterday afternoon and slept for a couple of hours.  I wish he could shake this thing.  We did go out for Mexican food for a late lunch yesterday and weren't hungry at dinner time, so we just grazed.  Asleep by 10!  I didn't hear any fireworks.

Almost football time!   I'll check in later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy New Year with lots of improvement for all those recovering from whatever.

There were 15 minutes of wonderful fireworks at 7 pm which we thoroughly enjoyed.  We had done it 4 years ago, but this year, by pure chance, were in the best viewing spot possible.  We walked around Boston a little, saw some ice sculptures and were home by 8:15 and in bed by 10ish - a perfect evening.

Today did a walk around a reservoir and passed an ice sculpture in front of a Chinese restaurant.(year of the dragon)

dnaff

Happy New Year all.  I’m going to confess to being in bed reading by 7:30 and asleep by 8:30.  Fireworks didn’t even wake me.

I have a yoga session coming up.  And a braised pork ragu to put together for supper.  And I took down the outdoor lights.  I’m in a bad mood about that because the neighbors cat uses our foundation as a litter box.  Some of the wires were fused to the ground with cat diarrhea.  So now I get to scrub extension cords before I store them.

Henrun

Happy New Year.

I have a chest cold that has been hanging on for the last 2 weeks (I tested negative for COVID). Even though I’ve been walking outside it has interfered with appetite and sleep. I felt so bad last night that I didn’t go with Marj to see the fireworks. Felt a little better this morning until we went to our local reservoir intending to run the 1.5 miles around. Got in 1 mile until I felt really lousy and we headed home for a lunch of chicken soup and a long nap. Feel a lot better now. Hope I can finally kick this virus.

Enough complaining. Glad most everyone is rounding the corner re health problems. Make 2024 a good year!

''..........Who knew Bluetooth was named after a tenth century Danish Viking king?   ''

Strangely

I just watched an Expedition Unknown episode on him

=============

windchill 30 with cold winds

,,,,,60-min at soccerfields..........trailboots

..............Dedicated the Last 20-min to tet

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Happy New Year Masters

Thanks for the start and recap Holly and Jay. 

We celebrated with family and neighborhood friends. Actually made it to the guitar drop. We watched Nashville version. 

Ran a 5k race this morning with some run club friends. Its a tradition with about 6 of us. Much like Holly it was cold damp and a little slick and fun. Came home and rode a few miles to help the legs  after the racing. DS1 and DN left today and DS2 has a flight tomorrow at 0700. It was nice to have the house full of family. 

Nice new tradition Tramps. 

Thats a good share tw. Hope it helps tet. 

Look at you KSA overachieving on that run. 

Football will be on all day while taking down the Christmas decorations. 

Cheers

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BTY

Happy Masterful New Year!

I'm taking a day off from swimming and lifting.  I wasn't going to, since I got the Christmas Tree down by around 1:00, but decided I'm tired and could use a rest day.   The only thing strenuous (a little?) so far was to wheel the snowblower over to my young neighbor's house to have him clean out the carburetor.  I didn't get a chance to use it at all last winter, and only a couple of times the winter before, because I got lazy and didn't go out and buy new gasoline, thinking I could get by with the gas I bought for late fall cleanup mowing.Once, yes.  Twice, no.  But I'm actually doing him a favor by having him clean it out for me, because now he doesn't have to watch me shovel and then finish up the last 20-30 feet of drifting snow (courtesy of the village plows) at the bottom of my driveway with his snowblower.  I went to the HD last week for Christmas Shopping for the boys, and saw the same snowblower for sale that DW bought me 4 winters ago, and the same 2-stage 24" model is now TWICE as expensive as it was when new.  Wow.

Hope you all have a great day!

(No, no New Year's revelry for me.  Asleep in the recliner several times and in bed by 10:00, out by 11:00.   That's closer to midnight than most New Year's Eve's for me!)

Who knew Bluetooth was named after a tenth century Danish Viking king?

Or that the technology it uses was invented by 1930s film star Hedy Lamarr?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"