Masters Running

Saturdaily, 3.2.24 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Good morning weights work, Holly. I'm glad you're starting to feel better. Is there such a thing as a bed being too comfortable? How'd the meeting go yesterday afternoon?

Good post rain 4.5 preppy-less miles, KSA. Do you have enough popcorn for watching the show at your former workplace?

Good gym work to stay out of the rain, Tammy. I hope you got your run in yesterday. Good score on the new shoes!

dnaff, I searched that, and got dozens of recipes, all different. If you are having trouble moving up to the next set of weights, what about increasing the reps with the weights you are using?

Leslie, I hope you're not getting any of the snow we saw coming to the CA mountains. Have fun at the movies today!

Yes, Erika, that is the recipe we used, adding scallions and peas. Also spice it up if you like. It's good that you've got your bike to ride when the weather prevents you from getting out for your walks. Sorry about the mess your tenant left behind. I don't understand how anyone can think it is OK to destroy someone else's property. And why would they have been comfortable living in it like that?

Nice 3.25 miles, anneb, and sounds like a good lunch with DH. Enjoy the warm weather coming your way.

Good 4.5 chilly-but-sunny miles with more running than walking, moebo. I'm glad your hip/butt/back thingy is getting better.

I'm glad that you don't need any more knife work on your knee, Tet, but I am sorry that you still need to keep your various pain kilers close at hand. I home that the more you strengthen that knee, you'll be able to start putting those PKs on the shelf for good.

Good for you for getting out for daily runs while you are taking care of your dad and mom, Wildchild. I'm glad your dad is getting better, and hope he can recover most, if not all of the strength he has lost since his fall. I'm sure he and your mom will be a lot happier with him back in their apartment.

Interesting start to your day, indeed, BTY. Also a good workout, and an interesting conversation with the cashier at Trader Joe's.

I feel the same way about my resistance bands, Steve. There is no reason that you can't add chicken (or anything else you want) to the peanut butter pasta - you're in charge. Oh my, what a telling statement this is:  "He's very impressed with how capable he thinks he is."

I hope you continue to have a great time in Tokyo, Mariposai, and that you enjoy tomorrow's marathon.

I read an article this morning about how we are all rushing, either to get something done to move on to something else, or to get from one place to another, and how sometimes there is no need for said rushing - it is just how we've gotten used to doing things. I agree with that and so I am going to, when I can, try to be more in the moment and just savor what I'm doing or what is around me instead of just trying to get through it as quickly as possible. We'll see how that goes...

I got in an extra 2.5 mile walk yesterday afternoon, escaping the laptop and enjoying a sunny tour of the neighborhood.

I slept in a little this morning because I could, and then did 45 minutes of core and weights work. Now, after coffee and a protein bar, I'm heading out to a racewalking training session, where I think I'll just go easy because I'm still thinking of banditing the part of tomorrow's half that goes through my neighborhood. It's not banditing if they are on one of my regular routes, is it? After the training session, we're going for coffee and to try to finalize the details of August's racewalking clinic. Then I'll swing by Trader Joe's to stock up before I head home. So I should be back by lunch time, which may be followed by nap time.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - knee got me up in the middle of the night and wanted to keep me up so slipped in a PK for the rest of the needed rest but getting off of 'em completely before the skimpy last allowance of two more weeks at one a day runs out. Very good, though, when compared to two months ago when two weeks would last about two days.

In the meantime, since I don't have to rush to get anywhere I'm going, motivational walking everywhere I can will be ensuring plenty of walking that's going to be necessary for all muscle groups to be ready for everything I want to start doing again when knee swelling is finally dissapated but, according to Dr. Knee, probably not 100%, if that, until into April.

First start will eschewing the bus for the two miles over to the Seattle Center for packet pickup this morning in the 5K option of the 15K Hot Chocolate Run I used to do at the drop of a hat.

Apparently, there's a $29.99/month livestream of the Tokyo Marathon on "Flo" or something but I don't want to have to stare at my phone for that long (even 56 seconds at some entertainment personality is too much) so have downloaded the Radio Nippon app that's supposed to have it live starting from the starting time of 9:10 am Sunday over there that's 4:10 pm this afternoon over here.

In the meantime, any updates from over there via anyone in contact or event trackers would be neat.

ps erika - after leaving the island bungalow in much better shape than we got it, the owners gave our present sr. housing a recommendation they said was second to none so it's hard to understand renters who don't as the new landlords always want a recommendationb from them.

pps Jay - with some of the extra peanut butters we had around last summer, DW createda peanut butter and soy sauce plus flaked bonito flavoring somen noodle dip that we both like as much as the original soy sauce, diced green onions, etc.

ppps - good luck in finding enough time today, or any day, for a nap.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dnaff

Stopping by to wish Posie a strong and enjoyable marathon.  And also to say my toast slid off the plate this morning but landed jelly side up.  I hope that is a good omen for our whole group.  Have a greta Saturday, however you spend it.

Thanks, Jay, and good luck, Posie.  Enjpy!

Jay- banditing is OK if you don't take their aid station stuff or cross the finish line! Go for it.

13.2 miles with the group and I actually had 2 women to run with!  One is fairly new to the area and we had a lot to talk about.  We ran the pace of the other woman, who I run with on these runs frequently if we are both there.  She was doing 15 today and my goal was 11-13.  She's a little slower, so today was really great for me because it was a true conversational pace.  Normally on this course I really hit it hard on the return if I'm alone, but today we slowed down and I feel pretty good.  Got 13.2 to "make sure" I had the Strava March half marathon distance, which I haven't done since the Monkey Half in November.  It was 47, some drizzle to start and gloomy, but a beautiful rolling "country" course (in Franklin, TN).  The new woman from Boston loved it.  I feel pretty good and got Tiny Little Donuts afterwards for Ken and me.   The one glitch was that the aid stop that we should have hit (again) on our return at about 10 miles had been picked up.  I don't know if the guy who provided it today thought everyone was finished or what.  There were a couple of half full stray plastic water bottles and we actually drank from them.

We have a basketball game at 2:30 and Robert Earl is wanting a walk, so I better get going.

Holly- you still owe us a Jamaica review!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

5 misty miles this morning for me. I got done with my run and I was pretty wet. I thought I overdressed and was really sweating, but then I went back out later and realized it was misty & drizzly.

I really feel old out there. 5 miles seems like so much work but I am happy I am able to do it.

Now I am really working (at my job). I am coming to enjoy my Saturdays doing work. All week long it is one fire after another with overwhelming emails and instant messages, but then I sign on Saturday and just click things off my list with no interruptions.  (Almost none.  I just got an instant message from one of "my folks" who saw I was signed on. I don't think he is going to be much of a bother though.)

I am looking forward to hearing from Posie in Tokyo. I don't travel much, but I have been to Japan twice and Tokyo once and I really liked it there. I can visualize some of the city when I think about it. I hope she has a wonderful run.

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.

Have fun, Mariposai!

I've gotten started on my old barn rehab project (3/4 of it is being torn down and I'm trying to save the rest as garden shed, tractor storage, etc. Very rough, nothing fancy, and Tribee's still making up her mind about what she wants for the garden part. I think I'll farm out the roofing; my days of hauling sheet goods up a ladder are probably done. Anyhow, a long day of cleaning and early prep work yesterday left me a bit stiff today, so it was a 5-mile run/walk for me.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good luck Mariposai!! Enjoy the race!! I have loved seeing updates on FB from friends who are there as well. There is a tracking link one of them posted but I doubt I'll do any tracking - I enjoy seeing their posts after they've finished.

Yesterday - nice easy day at work. No workout, but walked the distance from the garage to the hospital and back at night and hit my 10,000 steps.

Today - our Saturday morning group run went back to the 7am start, but there was a group of us who really want to stick with the 8am start for the month of March anyway. There was a nice group for both times, but I was glad for the extra hour of sleep and the company during our 6 miles. Our Tues/Thurs morning group runs have 2 start times as well - there's a 5:30am group and a 6:30 am group and some times in between. Someone will say they are starting at 6:15ish to do a mile before the group start and then 4 with the group - almost always someone else will jump in and join so rarely is someone running alone those mornings.

KSA - nice long run!! Where in Boston is your new member from?

Dave - I overdressed as well today. Think I still felt the wind from Thursday and didn't want to be cold. Ended up with a jacket around my waist - Ribs would be so disappointed, but at least it was during a race 

denise

Henrun

Another beautiful day in Sarasota. Getting our steps in, mostly at the huge farmers market. Got our favorite empanadas and now resting. Getting together with a bunch of friends, some of whom split their residency between Sarasota and Brookline. The down side is that we’re eating too much- but the food is delicious 🤤.

Good Luck Posie!!

I and quite a few members of the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club Reach the Beach relay team can verify that coastwalker is an excellent chef!

Anyone that wants to follow Mariposai's travels through the Tokyo Marathon can do so via their app. Go to the marathon website. Find the link for your app store and then add runner 88676 as the one you wish to follow. That should do it. One catch is that the "English" version is half in Japanese. I just clicked through various prompts that I could not read to get the app going. Who knows, I may have agreed to let them empty my checking account. 

coastwalker for my two cents, if the roads are open, you can run, walk, race walk, bike, skate board, or whatever down them during the race and it is not banditing. So long as you are not interfering with the race, no harm-no foul in my book.

Lousy, cold, cloudy, and rainy day here. The weather forecast calls for it to be like this for most of the next 10 days. Yuck!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Twocat - arigatou for the number update for the Tokyo Marathon's R-navi app as, unless Nancy had adopted a Japanese name or something, I was getting a local runner's stats but now have Nancy poised at the starting line ready to go. 

With the current course mostly configured in the downtown area (with three out-and-backs), I'm familiar with every inch of the way having not only walked it in bits-and-pieces over the years plus cycling through many of the stretches but also having confirmed its barefootability too. 

I wish there were live cams so we could turn on the 10K after she passed through the 5K and so forth until the finish at 42.195K to see her in person. Maybe, one of these days, marathons will give runners the option of a visor cam for friends to see what their running is seeing for the duration too, at least, while the runner permits.

Dave - with Tokyo being the most costumed marathon in the world, a wonderful time is almost guaranteed, especially for a mariposai who'll probably be seeing lots of others festooned in all kinds of wing designs along the way too. In fact, if she looks down, there might even be some in Japanese straw samurai waraji sandals, wooden Tengu and other priests' wooden geta, zori thongs, jikatabi shoes, tabi socks, etc. along with happy coat variations (samui, jinbei, pink Joyful jackets, etc.),  Ganbatte.

I am looking forward to hearing from Posie in Tokyo. I don't travel much, but I have been to Japan twice and Tokyo once and I really liked it there. I can visualize some of the city when I think about it. I hope she has a wonderful run.

Tramps - excellent Spanish butterfly, . . . iridescence and all!

Have fun, Mariposai!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Denise-  she said she lived right on the marathon course, but I'm not sure where.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

YouTube has some coverage of the marathon. The FloTrack feed was there but cut off at the halfway point. I found some more coverage but it is in Japanese.

Runners from Japan are trying to beat a time that unlocks a 3rd spot in the Olympics. I don't know what the announcers are saying but they are pretty excited. I think the runners are on pace to make the time.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave  - thanks

Two non local runner bearing down on finish

but names japanized so don't know who

but wouldn't know even if in English

Nancy at 15K

ETA - don't know where Kipchoge is but his 2:02:40 TM record

just got broken by about 20+ seconds

EETA - Kipchoge 10th

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I don't know how many years it's been since Mariposai"s last marathon but, after what she's been through, her butterfly wings" successful Tokyo Marathon's got to be one for the ages for all of us. Omedetou gozaimasu

Thanks toTwocat for the live tracking link, and to Mr. Knee for conveniently waking me up now and then for regular peeks at her red dot progressing along the Tokyo route map past so many of old familiar places, landmarks, parks, neighborhood sento public baths, traditional restaurants from samursai days, etc. that make Tokyo so much fun. Sugoi!