Masters Running

Friday 2/1/19 (Read 42 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - why do you have to be nice?  She's leaving!  What better time to be honest?

Okay, this cold/sinus crud is actually much better, but that itch-deep-in-my-throat-that-I-can't-quite-scratch-but-it-keeps-making-me-cough is REALLY getting old, along with the sore coughing muscles and mild headache that accompany a constant cough.  DD has it too, and is just as annoyed.  I am saving my LR for Sunday, when the weather is supposed to be much milder and hopefully most of this snow and ice melted off, but also in hopes that the cough will be better.

Just 3 miles for me on the TM today, plus a few core exercises.  That's all I really had the energy for.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, I started with this cold nonsense the week between Christmas and New Year's. I'm mostly better but still have the gunky sinus drainage (no infection, that cleared up on its own) and sometimes a cough like that. I found the Hall's honey-lemon sugar free lozenges really help. Kroger has a store brand equivalent. That tickle-scratchy cough is terrible.

That cold crap is running rampant in our office.    I'm going to hang garlic from my doorway to try and ward off the sickness.

Holly - I'm not mean to anyone and I'm not and haven't been to her, so I don't know where it's coming from that I'm being insensitive.  I do get into a focused "zone" where I don't want to talk to anyone, and I also have a hard time hiding my irritation when I'm having to do other people's work because they're not holding their own.  Because of that I've been told that I can come off as . . . . less than friendly.  Surprised the heck outta me 'cause I think I'm actually a nice person.  But if me trying to get my work done and clean up messes causes me to come off as insensitive, I don't know what to say.

But telling me I can't be my usual sarcastic self . . . well that's just insensitive!! 

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Holly/Evanflein - I have the same cough/tickle in the throat - generally at 2,3 am.  at that hour I dose with lots of water, other I use ricotta drops.  I will say it's a lot better since I'm out of dry heat - even the humidifier didn't really help. (maybe a vacation is in order??)

evanflein

Marj, you mean Ricola drops? Very similar to the Halls, I just prefer the sugar free.

Leslie, you gotta be you, dear. When they find piles of uncompleted and misfiled work under your desk, then they can talk to you about your attitude. Otherwise, they need to bug off.

RE: Moon and Venus... here's a great picture our campus photographer took this week. Gotta love the raven in the photo!

bioguy I have used Altras. Mostly to vary my shoe types which there is growing evidence reduces injury risk. (Yea, I know.) For that purpose, varying my gate, I found they were quite good. It does take some time to get used to running in them.

SteveP how do you really feel about some of those drivers? 

fatozzig you seem to be progressing quite nicely. I suspect your PT is going to be really happy with how things are going.

Speaking of PT, mine watched me run on the TM for a few minutes at a variety of paces. Afterward she said to increase my run to 1 1/4 miles! As they say, better than nothing!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

The trouble with most cough drops is that, while they are helpful, their flavor makes me gag and/or get nauseas.  I have some of that Chloroseptic spray when the itch gets bad in the middle the night, but it's like - spray - gag, retch - spray - gag, retch, then it settles down for a bit.

I am such a whiner....

Leslie - I didn't say "mean" just "honest."  It might actually be that this woman NEEDS someone to tell her like it is, instead of covering for her or letting her excuses suffice.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hey Masters -- spent earlier today at the funeral of a work friend's son -- only 24 yrs old and reminded me so much of my own sons. It was/is truly heartbreaking. Another reminder not to take anything for granted in this life.

Did a 1.5 mile run/walk yesterday that didn't go so well. The pain was still there and I couldn't get my legs moving. On the upside, we had our Sole Sisters banquet last night and I won one of the raffles -- an hour session with one of our runners who is a PT!!!  Quite appropriate!!

Funny thing is it actually doesn't hurt today even after dancing and heels last night, but I haven't tested it out much today

denise

mrrun

Marj, you mean Ricola drops? Very similar to the Halls, I just prefer the sugar free.

yes - didn't notice the auto-correct.  they have a sugar free also - everyone has their own flavor preference.  we just came back from a museum of art and whimsy with everything from a purple moose to flamingos, zebras etc.  they may make it to FB at some time.  everyone there had a smile on their face - what we need in this day and age

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie, you gotta be you, dear. When they find piles of uncompleted and misfiled work under your desk, then they can talk to you about your attitude. Otherwise, they need to bug off.

RE: Moon and Venus... here's a great picture our campus photographer took this week. Gotta love the raven in the photo!

Ricola are Swiss, ricotta are the Italian version.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

pfriese

Hello all.

Checking in after being awol from here for awhile. I've had a hard time of getting back in a running groove since my last marathon. I think the motivation/joy has returned. Yesterday, Opie texted and said he was in town and wanted to know if we could meet up for a run. Of course I met him at the reservoir running trail & we had a nice 3 mile run while catching up. Today, I went for a nice 4 mile run to the park & back. That's 2 days in a row of running; I'll try to make it 3 in a row tomorrow. Smile

Paul

Joe618

Hello all.

Checking in after being awol from here for awhile. I've had a hard time of getting back in a running groove since my last marathon. I think the motivation/joy has returned. Yesterday, Opie texted and said he was in town and wanted to know if we could meet up for a run. Of course I met him at the reservoir running trail & we had a nice 3 mile run while catching up. Today, I went for a nice 4 mile run to the park & back. That's 2 days in a row of running; I'll try to make it 3 in a row tomorrow. Smile

Paul

Hey, Paul!  Glad the mojo is crawling back for you!   Good to hear from you!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

evanflein

5.3 miles in bright sunshine, and a brisk E-NE wind that made the return trip rather bracing. None of the weather sites I checked mentioned wind, but the flags were flapping pretty hard out there. Other than that, it is a gorgeous sunny day with bright blue skies and sparkling snow. I have to say it is pretty, even though, as Steve says, the "novelty" has worn off. Well, actually, snow in Alaska is hardly a novelty, but I'm still tired of it. 

Hi Paul!

Hi Paul!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Paul!  Glad you got to run with Opie!

All you guys with the crud had better not breathe on me!  I guess it's good in this case that we're internet friends...

I've had many pairs of Altras, starting with the old Lone Peaks, and I now have several pairs of Superiors and Kings.  I like them a lot.  Their sizing does seem to be inconsistent and the tread wears off after about 300 miles, which seems like way too soon.  I just counted 6 pairs of Altras in my entry room...

Deez, that's sad about your friend's son. 24 is way too young.

I met some friends for a great long run (18 miles) on a dirt road known locally as the Oh My God Road (actual name is Virginia Canyon Rd) that goes between Idaho Springs and Central City, CO.  It's called that because of the numerous switchbacks with steep dropoffs and no guardrails.  We did a dirt road run because the trails are all either deep snow or sloppy mud.  Gorgeous blue sky day, with temps hitting 50 at the end.  We ended with beers at a local brewery.  Good times.

Here's a picture from my run, just for Twocat.  There's an underpass under an old mine conveyor!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.