Masters Running

40's+ on the run W/E 10/24/09 (Read 451 times)

flatland mountaineer

"Puppy doesn't always get to do what puppy wants to do" author Me,

Sorry doesn't have nothing to do with running but seems to be the 24/7 theme around here.

Lynda and I did a little race at Cox's pond, a little oasis created in a farmer's backyard where little springs form the headwaters of the Frenchman River. Lynda did the 5k and I did the 10 miler. http://www.101degreeswest.com/pumpkinrun.pdf

Quickee race report.

The race takes place about 30 miles straight south of us mostly on dirt roads. We left home about 6:15 cutting cross country on dirt roads the whole way saving us a half hour drive time. Pickup said it was 21 degrees, pretty cold considering the heavy fog.

The fog was still pretty heavy when we started. We quickly lost contact with the fast group coming out of the farm yard for a 2 mile highway stretch into the thriving metropolis of Champion, pop. 517 . My goal was to use this race for my long run and if I felt good let it rip the last mile or so. I tucked in behind a  friend of friends from Ft Collins as she was holding a steady 9:30, about where I wanted to be. We had one couple doing run/walk but they were considerate about it and also another gal that did like this aerobic interval thing where she would run hard for a mile or so then walk. Anyway I stayed with this group until we made 4 or 5 turns winding thru little Champion around the old water (stream) driven flour mill so I wouldn't get off course in the fog. We turned off onto the gravel the fog lifted and I was in my element so I took off leaving the run/walkers up the hill out of the river valley. The course continued in basically a square on sandy gravel roads on rolling hills above the river valley, slowing going up and cruising down. I had to check the corn once about midway and sure enough the ground was too wet to harvest on (at least where I checked anyway)The last mile turned back on the highway down hill into the river valley again so I let it rip and ran a 7:30 last mile and a 9:26 overall pace. It was my longest "race" and I was tickled to complete it.

We used to call small little rodeos Pumpkin Rollers. You never knew who would show up and the level of competition might eclipse the size of the event. You might only have 20 ropers but one former world champ and 2 traveling pros that just happened to be in the area. This pumpkin roller was no exception in some pretty fast guys competed in a very small field. Jonathan was the overall winner running a 6:25 ave for the 10 miles with several fast guys not too far behind.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Good Sunday afternoon to all....

Nice race and race report Jim. Sounds like you both had a great time and a super pace for you. Congrats on the 10 mile race!

A couple of miles this morning in very cool weather.

Have a super week everyone.....

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Hi Kids-

Nice race for Jim and Lynda! Sounds like a fun course. Good going Jim on your pace and having some gas in the tank for the end! Very impressive last mile.

Hiya Jewels! I can only guess what contitutes as "very cool " weather for you in Fla.

Finally warming up after running a local half marathon myself this morning.Ended up with about a 2:03 @9:17 pace though Garmin says 13.3m. Straight out and back course ,right by the beach. About 20-25mph wind right on the back going out, and straight to the face coming back. Steady rain and 42*. It's about 4 minutes off my only other half time,but I'll take it. Considering I just finished a 78m week and a 23m long run on Friday, I can't complain.

Doesn't look good for the Giants today,but I'm too tired to get upset about it!

"Puppy doesn't always get to do what puppy wants to do" author Me,

May I quote you on that?  Katy and I had a disagreement over that very thing this morning as I was trying to sleep, and she was going ballistic trying to eat Squirt through the door. 

Very nice, and picturesque, races you and Lynda had there!  Sounds like you might have a half marathon brewing given that last mile time of 7:30. 

Jewels, glad you got some cooler weather and had a nice run.  I'm thinking winter would be the best running "season" in sunny FL, but I guess it all depends on your tastes.

Joe, your training is starting to resemble an ultra schedule.  This was the peak, and you're on the downhill slide to your marathon, right?  Tough race on understandably tired legs, but sounds like you made the best of it and turned in a good time.  Finishing up into that headwind was no doubt good mental training for your marathon as well.  Running in the rain = fun. Running in the cold, wind and rain = NOT fun.

Komen Dallas 5K was an awesome "happening" as usual with around 30,000 people in attendance.  The polar opposite of Jim and Lynda's quiet pumpkin roller of a race on the country roads.  Left home at 6 am for an 8 am race start and hit the wall (of traffic).  In spite of Kerry's blood pressure spiking behind the wheel, we made it in plenty of time.  My mom and step dad were already there, as well as Kerry's co-worker, Steve, and his dad.  Steve has recently lost about 50 lbs and used running to help with that.  It was the first race ever for Steve and his dad, and we had some fun trash talking as we waited to start.  Mom went into competition mode, and headed up closer to the starting line.  It was the most perfect day for a race....mid/upper 50's, sunshine, and no wind.  Pink everywhere, and everyone whooping and hollering.  The moment of silence was....well...not silent, but the noise was of the supportive kind so still counts Smile.  The race goes through a nice neighborhood in Dallas, and many of the residents embrace it and cheer from their yards, which makes the journey fun.  Mom won 2nd in her AG with a 28:32.  Not bad for 68 and only a few weeks out from her wrist surgery.  Steve finished ahead of Kerry, but hey...he's 28 and bouncy.  Steve's dad turns out to be pretty fast, and ran it in 25:something.  I finished in 30:34, which was OK for me at this stage of the game.  Arch held up OK with the new shoes, inserts, and tape, but was pretty sore last night.  Back to icing and resting for a day or two, but looks like I'll be able to do my Tri on 10/25, yay!   

Progress Trumps Pefection

Hey All!  Hello from Vermont! (Where's a tad colder than what we're used to at home.)  Just got back a little while ago from dinner with Kelly and Jack and her two boys.  They very graciously invited us to dinner at their house, and it was a really nice, casual time.  Jack cooked a fabulous dinner, and we all sat around and chat.  The time just flew by, and I couldn't believe it when Shorty (my hub) asked what time it was - 9:00.  Whoops!  Poor Kelly - she has to get up early, early for work tomorrow and the kids have school.  Sorry.   But it was really  nice to finally meet her and Jack in person.  Got a pic of us together that I'll post later.  But she's just was nice and warm in person as she seems on here.

We're have a really good time.  This is some beautiful country.  Stayed in a little town called Wilmington last night, and this a.m. before sunrise I went for a run.  Only managed 9 before I absolutely had to get back to the hotel room (yeah, you know what my problem is).  Anyway, was running down one very dark solitary road and ended up freaking myself out (what was that?!?  what was that?!?), so I turned around finished the mileage on the highway.  Well, it's not really a highway highway, but it's one of the main routes through that area.  I ain't runnin' every day, but I'll get my mileage in every other day.

Jim - That little race of yours sounds like a great time.  And heck, you even had time to stop and check the corn!

Joe - 78 miles last week?  Um, aren't you suppose to be tapering??

Carol - You're mom sounds like a hoot and someone I'd love to meet. Glad you all had a great time.

We had a Jewels sighting!  Very nice!

Well, tomorrow we head toward NH then ME.  Am looking forward to taking more pics.  I'll try and post a couple later.

Hey to everyone else.  You all try to stay out of trouble.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - nice work there, way to make a long run into a good training run with that faster bit at the end.. a 7:30 final mile after 9 sounds pretty brisk to me! Bet you have a fast HM in you...

Jewels - uh, yeah, what is cool to you? For me, it's...oh, 70s...

Joe!! The HAY is in the BARN...YEAH!  Cheers to you *clink*! Now, don't be tweakin' on us too hard, 'kay?

Carol - good to hear the foot issue is working out. And your mom...awesome as always! Bet she keeps you honest! Kudos to your friend Steve btw, losing all that weight and getting out for some fun at the races....nice!

Leslie - that's right, you're on vacay - just enough running to keep fresh is all you need...more important to enjoy that precious time off.And beware of catching that Kelly-Ultra bug...oh never mind, you already got it!

Icky and humid here! It's almost never humid in Fresno, so a 65F dewpoint was killer for us! I've learned the last couple days that humid = extra chafing. Nice...not! Otherwise...had a nice light week, ready for more upping o' the miles next week.

Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

My best ever race photo,  just happened to be a pro race photog taking pics

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Nice pic Jim! Looks like a pretty road to run on and your form looks great. I was wondering about the picture on top, are those giant spiders in the yard?Yikes.

Nice race Carol! Way to go and it's real good to hear that your foot held up well. One week till your Tri! Good going for Kerry and his friend. Your Mom is incredible.

Leslie- That's cool that you got to see Kelly. It's really beautiful country up there. You have to try some of their maple syrup,if you have not already. Some rural areas up there that probably don't see too many runners on the roads.

Arla- dewpoint? What dewpoint,that's nothing. No rain,no humidity,no winter. I think it's time for me to move out west.

Hi Everyone

Still have a month to go till my marathon so it's not quite taper time yet. I am done with the 70m weeks though and am happy about that. That wicked weather race yesterday did give me some confidence and on the bright side, I would have been running that little loop marathon yesterday in that weather! Yuk! I'm glad I bailed outta that one!

MTA- posting at the same time Jim. The pic looked good to me.

jfa

I'll try to post yesterday's pics here. Top 3 are me in my last year's Philly marathon shirt.

Sweet......we had a lot of racers this weekend.

Jim and Lynda....nicely done 5K and 10 miler.  Jim is that a huge spider in the top picture?  Way to pick it up on the last mile.  That tells me you've got good endurance and are running strong.  Nice race photo.

Joe....nice 1/2.  That will really sharpen you up and put you in good race shape for the full.  NIce race photos for you too, Joe.

Carol....good job in the Komen.  Sounds like you had a lot of friends/family running also.  Healing vibes for your foot.

Leslie....glad you're having a good time.  You deserve a little fun now and then.  Nice 9er.  Wilmington....that reminds me of an old Cheech and Chong bit about the "Jackson 5 story, starring the Osmond Brothers."   Get on any freeway, take the Wilmington cutoff.......  anyone remember that?

Hey Arla....take care of that chafing....not fun.

Hey Jewels!!

A nice easy 6 miler this evening.  Then had to come home and pull my truck to the mechanic.  It's broke. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Okay, I tried to pull up the pics of Joe, but the connection at this motel is pretty weak.  Will try, try again.  The photos are from the HM you did, right?

Jim - Nice pic and great form.  You look like yer ready to take 'er to the next level, pardnr (whatever the heck the next level is going to be for you. )

Arla - Humidity in Fresno?? Quite the anomoly, isn't it?

Ev - What broke your truck?

Am posting from North Conroy, NH, and will get my butt up in the a.m. and try to complete the 13 I'm suppose to do.  Hopefully, I'll have more options should Mother Nature decide to make an appearancea again. 

Here's the pic of me and Kelly from last night:

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

**snort**  who YOU tryin ta kid, Jim??  that puppy rules loves you!!

& congrats to both of you on the pumpkin run! wish we coulda...one of these days!   Vegas is looking better & better for you two!  & Great pics!

It could happen....Jewels could be having "cool weather"....relatively speaking  you've heard of frozen orange juice haven't you? I'll just bet it's a bit more pleasant to run in the Winter down there than up here!

Joe.....you're just amazing!! K? should we be expecting a BQ outta this?

Good times Carol!! Love those Komens. **fingers crossed & good luck vibes for the upcoming Tri!! ** 

Isn't Leslie always vacationing???   Very kewl that you got to hook up w/Kelly!  Now, we just gotta get the rest of us together somewhere!!!

Hmmm, chafing, Arla? - Bodyglide/Sportshield/ lgtwgt tights?   just a thought...not that it's terribly humid here as a norm either...I'm just chubbier than you & therefore, empathetic....

Hey Ev!  Hope the truck's not too bad/expensive.  I always feel badly for folks - even though that's a big part of our income (auto repair)

Still busy re-arranging/settling in the house & kids....they had alot more stuff than any of us realized!!!!!! & Doug & I have been accumulating alot more stuff than WE realized... Goodwill is getting some donations throughout this...  Busy wknd for both of us!  I'd signed up to pace a "virtual" friend from the RA boards @ his 2nd attempt of the Boulder 100. One 7.1 mile lap sometime Saturday night....weeell, my foot being where it is, Doug got to do that & I just went along as a driver/moral support.  It was a brief (for us) but really cool experience.  & Dale not only finished, but came in 2nd in 21:09!! Then both of us signed up to volunteer @ the Denver Marathon this wknd.  Good times! He was on an aid station @ mile 12 & so had to be there before they shut down the streets @ o'dark-thirty. I helped set that one up(Irish Snug Runners group)  & then I headed over to my designated spot - a TNTcheer station @ mile 24.3  Weather ppl were predicting record heat again (WTH!?) & possible high of 87*! & it did indeed get up to 84* & dead clear/calm (bright sunshine!) so, I took a big cooler full of ice & was handing out handfulls to the runners in btwn cheering, high-5ing & ringing my cowbell....had a few folks tell me I was an angel & they loved me...  Starting temp was a coolish 40*. Perfect for the HM's & fast ppl!  warmed up quick though!  1st place was a 28 yr old in 2:23.03 - a smokin'  5:28 ave pc!!!  1st female/21st OA was a 36 yr old in 3:00.26/6:53 pc & @ my station, they both still looked fresh & strong!!  Wow!  What a kewl place to get to work!

'Nother cold front-stormy stuff brewing & dropping in just now...middle 80's here on Sunday.  Barely broke 50*, overcast & 74% humidity today...IRC for me....still gimping around so, no running still!  But, it is much improved, so I'm gonna go ahead & shuffle through my Human Race 10K on Saturday...just for giggles & the free tech shirt!. My Salomons are rigid enough that they seem to help the foot through the day - kinda like a walking cast. Whooda thunk?

Ciao!~

Have a Great Week Everyone!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hey Folks-

Cindy-don't go pushing that foot too hard, you need that healed.With all the running around you do.... That weather up there sure is crazy.

Ev-Hope the truck's not going to set you back too much. Good going on your runs.How's Mrs Day's training coming along?

Leslie and Kelly- You're two pretty Gals! Great pic! Good that you guys got to meet and like Cindy says, someday we'll all get together somewhere's...

Looking at my race pics there, I did not feel good at that time. I didn't realize it because it was a "rolling" weekly total,but those pics were taken at the very end of my 89th mile that week! I had saved what I could for the end (second to last mile was 8:01) but that last mile (9:35) was a real struggle! Feeling back to normal now!

flatland mountaineer

4.5  very easy and slow, had Dessie most of the way. If you noticed my avatar caption my Garmin lcd screen does indeed have a canine tooth imprint and several "chewings". I told her one more time of that and we are gonna have dog ear stew!!! I think she is laughing her little dog laugh at me.

Will have to catch up later I'm 'Tard, too much x-training at work today. Still not harvesting much, corn wet, ground wet, raining now, 'tudes bad!

Top 'O the World!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group