Masters Running

Back to work, 7.5.16 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Welcome back, Haller, and congrats on the new job and on rediscovering your running groove.

Sorry about the knee pain, Enke. Weird that it gets worse the LESS you run. It sounds like you all had a well-spent day yesterday.

Congrats on doing a great job of cooking for dueling diets, Holly. You're making me hungry!

Hi Twocat!

Mariposai, those photos are great, and show both the beauty of where you were, and the hard work it took to get there. Nice trip.

Hi TW!

Have a greta week of camping and running, Tammy. I echo your birthday shout-outs to Paul and Econo.

Why, of course you were 1st in your AG in the 4k On The 4th, Steve! Sure looks like Tag likes his medal!

After our race yesterday, our guests wanted lobster rolls for lunch (who could blame them?). So DW and I made a quick trip and got some lobster meat and the rest of the fixins and we all had lobster rolls and red potato salad on the back patio in delightful weather. Our guests wanted to take their 20-month-old to the beach so we drove down with them. If there was no place to park, we were going to drive their car back to the house and pick them up later. But we found a good place for them to park, so we left them and the car there and DW and I walked 1+ mile back to the house to get some chores done. For dinner, we had a salad, plank-grilled salmon with corn relish, and rice with onions and sugar snaps. We got lazy, and decided to skip the local fireworks, and just hang out together and go to bed early. Our niece's DH isn't feeling great, so they are heading back home after breakfast this morning - a day earlier than planned. We are sad that he is not well, and that they are cutting their trip short.

5.5 easy, recovery RW miles this morning. I could'a stayed in and slept some more, but I wanted to give my legs some easy work and then some good stretching. There was a beautiful pre-sunrise and a nice breeze. The only pain in the neck (literally) is that we are in fly season, and those little biters really like me when I sweat up a bit. So it goes.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good morning gang,

How are you all feeling post 4th of July partying?

Enkie, how was the evening with the kids and MBE?.

Tammy, have a great week of camping!

After all the partying this weekend I felt compelled to join my boot camp group for an hour of XT. I ran to the park and ran back for a total of 3 miles. Post hike over the weekend I am trying to let my body rest up a bid, so this may be a cut back week for me for running.

Have a great Tuesday!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

posie - nothing wrong with a few obstacles to make sure you're the only ones to make it to the lake.

Somehow I didn’t feel like staying up for the midnight Firecraker 5000 on July 3 <<<(73/73)>>> or the logistics and time of getting to a morning Fourth-of-July run somewhere the next day so ended up doing the only thing that has anything to do with the Fourth-of-July in this city of more than one-half million (Seattle not only has no parade or any patriotic music on any radio stations as in smaller towns, etc. ): stay up late and watch the very spectacular twenty-minute fireworks show.

Seriously?  Has he taken a good look around at the other women your age?  You look awesome by comparison to 95% of your age group.

that's for sure.

wildchild - maybe tell him you don’t like running that much but it’s the only way you can avoid becoming a hefty couch potato watching soap operas all day.  IT's not something that you can do on you own safely so you need the incentive of races and training runs that also provide an opportunity to think about work projects, clear your mind and figure out everything else needing to be done,  etc.  Besides, it’s been a great motivator for family destination vacations.  Never use the word “fun” and try to find something he can enjoy on his own too so he’s not so envious of you.

ps jay - fortunately, it was winter when we took a trunk load of lobsters back from Woods Hole to Michigan once.

jj

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Twocat, nice 2.3 mile race.  Holly, the Segway experience sounds like fun.  Henrun, I'm glad to hear the shot in your knee provided some relief.  Jay, nice race with your niece.  hallar, it's great to hear from you.  It's been a long time.  Keep posting.  mari, I like the scenic pictures.  Steve, good job for you and Tag in your race.  Nice long run, wild.

Yesterday morning, it was in the mid 50s and almost calm.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:37 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Jay - I'm impressed with all the friends and family you host graciously and feed well.

Mariposai - that sounds like a brutal hike.  But beautiful rewards.  I will post my recipe in the recipe sticky thread.

We had a good time at MBE's.  At first my DD was in a piss-poor mood and I almost took her home, but I managed to distract her by pretending I was a kid again and rolling down a grassy hill at a park.  One minute later she was doing it, as were many other little kids around.  We brought over 4 board games and MBE's daughter and her fiance were there - first time his DD27? 28? met my kids, and my kids behaved thank goodness (my DD14 can be intense, controlling and angers easily).  We played several board games and MBE made grilled salmon and corn and a most awesome blueberry pie.  My DD, who has until yesterday always said she hates blueberries, gobbled up two pieces.  Then we walked down his street to a viewing spot, set up our chairs and watched the fireworks.  My chair suddenly broke, and down I went onto hard concrete.  Oh my, my butt really hurt and still hurts today when I do certain motions, so not sure about a run.  All in all the day went well, and it felt very comfortable all of us hanging out, a bit like a larger, intact family, which I miss having.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I have been enjoying reading about everyone's 4th of July activities.

tselbs, glad DW is feeling better.

Erika, oddly enough, you might want to get your hips checked if you have a fascist foot... More on this later.

Enke, nice that MBE and you had a nice time with family. I am sorry about the chair busting on you, butt, I hope you laughed a little bit...

Holly, I made vegetarian chili for carnivores yesterday. No one missed the carne. Glad you found an easy taquito filling for DS. Delicious and nutritious.

Welcome back, Larry!

I had the MRA (magnetic resonance arthrogram) on Thursday. I picked up the CD and results on Friday morning. I will see Dr. 10th Grader today at 1540.  The radiologist (Dr. Jim) wrote that he saw 1. an anterior labral tear 2. no cartilage damage.

So. Even though my major complaint has been my fascist foot and noone is concerned about that extremity, we will pursue the course of action pertaining to the anterior labral tear.

Dr. 10th Grader saw Femoral acetabular impingement on the regular x-ray we got in that first office visit and that is why he wanted better pictures of the right hip joint.

Oh. I do like Dr. Hollywood and Dr. 10th Grader. They are both young orthopedists and are eager to get me back in the game. However, my SIL had this exact same injury while he and DD lived in Chicago. He had surgery at Northwestern. He wants me to see his surgeon in Chicago. I am not going to do this. I am glad that SIL is so concerned about my well-being however, I think if I need surgery, someone in Virginia can perform it.

Thanks for listening.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

..Good Wishes to ya rosie//...........hopefully this will be a PT correction.......

==========

ThunderBoomers here all week

.......50-min PoolRun with badly needed belt, closed fists, run in shallows

TheBack is in a better mood today

but I'm not fooled,

it's just waiting to nail me before our vacation

(taking Claire to HorseFarms in Lexington)

Final Cleaning of PSA Student Center tomorrow,

so

hopefully TheBack will co-operate

...................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Dr. 10th Grader was very nice today. Ralph accompanied me to my appointment because I wanted him to hear whatever the doctor had to say.

Bottom line: I am an excellent candidate for arthroscopic hip labral tear repair. And he can do this surgery on Friday, 15 July. Although, I will have to call to schedule it tomorrow morning.

My friend had this doctor, this surgery at this hospital in May and she sent me a text saying "It was easy".

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

wildchild

Carolyn

Rosie, I hope the surgery goes well, if you decide to go ahead with it!

Enke, glad your 4th of July celebration with MBE went well, and that your kids seem okay with everything!  Did you watch fireworks at gas works park?

Good to see Hallar posting again!  Welcome back.

I put off my long run last weekend, so I went out and did it today.  22 miles in about 7 hours - slower than dirt!  Tough mountain trails, but the wildflowers were gorgeous.  I need to decide soon if I'm actually going to run the 50 miler on the 16th, or bail because my training isn't where I'd like it to be.  Hmmm...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Another day of no running. Oh well, just iced my heel again. Rosie, hope all turns out well for you. My hips are fine, thanks. When I piece together what's happened this spring, I have to say a lot of it falls on the concrete at Green Bay, then the mile race. Speedwork can tip the balance (according to everything I've read) and in old shoes... not so smart. So, I'm taking my licks now by kicking back and taking it easy. Broke out the new shoes a bit ago, too. I might try some short easy runs later this week to see how it goes. In the meantime, I'm getting a LOT done around the house! Funny how that works.

Carolyn, I've got that 16.5 mile hilly race (with a lot of downhill) on the 24th, and come hell-or-high-water, I'm going to do it. I will be totally undertrained for it, but oh well. It's one of my favorites and the 5th in our local series of 8 races (ending with Equinox) so I'm doing it. Preparing for a PW in time.... By the way, it's highly likely we'll be back in Keystone in mid-August. If you're around, I'd love to go running with you! You'll just have to wait for me as I try to find Oxygen up there.

Welcome back, Halllar! While we've never met in person, you feel like an old friend in these parts. Jump right back wherever it suits you.

Nice evening, Enke. Sorry about the chair, but it sounds like everything else was good.

Jay...mmmm, lobster rolls. You and your DW could just run a B-n-B with meals and do great!

Ok time to go soak up what little sun we've got out there. This has been the rainiest 4th of July weekend I can ever remember. Gotta go back to work tomorrow, but at least tomorrow is supposed to be the worst day this week, then things should start looking better with a good weekend coming up. Best thing about  a 4-day weekend? A short work week, then another weekend! Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Rosey - sounds like you have it all in hand, and good luck and happy healing.

Went to see my young PT today, and he used The Stick on me again (oh so much less painful this time, though) and added some new exercises to my routine.  When I drove away, I realized I had forgotten to ask The Most Important Question - When Can I Run Again?

I of course assumed that means tomorrow.  I did leave him a voicemail, though...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker I am pretty sure it says in the handbook that you also provide lobster rolls for the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club post race. No need for you to check on that. Just take my word for it.

Mariposai your boot camp sounds like it has to be one of America's toughest workouts!

tetsujin209 you should try my town. They had the fireworks on Thursday June 30!?  A whole lot of people complained that they had work the next day and could not stay up to see them. Surprise, they were telling the organizers the truth. The organizers sell parking passes to pay for the fireworks and fund the police athletic league. This year, for the first time I can remember, they did not sell out. Instead they had a lot of unsold passes left the night of. Naturally, the town did this to save money.Too smart by a half.

tselbs I am pretty sure you would have to run in a private gym to see 50 degree weather in my neck of the woods.

enkephalin glad to hear your visit with DD and MBE ended up going so well. Quite clever that roll down the hill trick!

buehrle good luck with all of the test, MRI readings and the like. I hope it works out that you get fixed up fast.

tomwhite backs can be sneaky! I hope it cooperates and stays well.

wildchild well yes, 22 miles in 7 hours might be considered slow if say you were running downhill near sea level. But I know better. You were running up and down mountains where the oxygen is in short supply. So, no you get zero "it was slow" credits. 

evanflein I also love it when I have to be on campus and the weather sucks! No better way to not miss being able to get outside.

Holly S. hmm, not all that sure about your translation of what your forgetting to ask a question implies about being cleared to run.

I went out for a 16 mile run in 80+ degree heat with a dew point to match. For about 8 miles I thought I was a heat and humidity superhero. Then reality started to set in. The last two miles were tough! But done. I met my DW with a about a half mile to go. She was just getting started and about a half mile into her run. When she got back her first words were that it was tough outside for a run. It was nice to have someone to commiserate with!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good luck rosie
                            Any idea why it happened?
                            Any idea of how long before running again?

Carolyn - not that I would know anything about it but some runners have run 50-milers and more* on a lot less your recent 28 miles for a training run and ability to churn out 26-milers at the drop of a hat so might as well find out what works for you instead of being overly conservative and waiting until you know it’s enough training to work for you and not learning anything about where your comfort levels are or aren’t.
                            8ps - don’t ask if I, . . I mean they made the 14-hour cutoffs or not. Smile
                            pps - sounds like the enke/BE's must have been up on one of the several Seattle Hills overlooking Lake Union and Gas Works Park where it was thirty degrees colder than last year’s 92o and they didn’t even need the metal bar fencing to keep us out of the water this year.
                            ppps enke - I’ve never heard of the broken-chair ruse before.

great potential.

Good job.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I do all my running in the afternoons now so as Tselbs ran at 50 degrees on the same day and within 40 miles I ran at 87 degrees!!!

I got 4 miles with some tempoish miles in he middle. sounds like a lot of aches and pains around here. Hope it's not catching.

Well it's 3:00 AM time to go to work I guess.

Larrt

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

SteveP

Buehrle, I hope the surgery goes well.

Carolyn, love the wildflowers on runs.

SteveP