Masters Running

Terrific Tuesday, March 9 Runs and such (Read 601 times)

George - Very cool about your daughter.  Be sure to sew those buttons on your shirt a little better.  Don't want them popping off tonight and hitting some poor person in the eye.

I like DLS for the evenings, but hate it for the mornings.  Boo hoo.

Mari - You're sweet.

Bruce - Wonder if it's your storm that's coming our way.  Suppose to hit later this afternoon.

Holly - Nice striders!

Cranium - Great poster.  What a wonderful present for your DW.

Enke - My brother and I used to fight like cats and dogs.  Looking back, I feel sorry for my poor parents!  We got spankings and deserved every single one of them.  Had a paddle above the kitchen doorway with my name on one side and my brother's on the other.

SteveP - Aaww!  Sweet picture!

It was about 27 degrees this a.m. (the coldest it's been so far this winter), so I woosed out and did 30 min on my stationary bike instead of running 3 miles, plus strength/core training for about 45 min.  It was so cold in my workout shed.  I turned on my little heater, but in the meantime, I was wearing a scanky pair of leggings and a sports bra, both of which are old as dirt, and my big dark blue terrycloth bathrobe.  Kept the robe on until I completed my warm up routine.  My co-worker likened me to Maxine:

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

Cranium,  How cool.  EGH, glad the bug is gone, 

It feels like spring is gone here in Seattle,  fairly typical weather for the season.  6 easy miles for me today,  hamstring felt just a little tight.

Off to the Doctor for a fit for diving physical in a couple hours.  (The aquarium makes me get one every year)  No issues but I think it is likley that the Doc will put me back on blood pressure meds.  I took them for several years while I was a 220# couch potato.  seems my BP it is creeping back up. 

wildchild

Carolyn

Craneium, what a great poster! 

SteveP, thanks for a cute picture, and I liked the pics of DS's birthday too.  I can't believe how big Noah is already!  How old is he now?

I did a 5 mile trail run at lunch, about 10:30 avg pace.  52° with some wind, some sun, some rain sprinkles, and some clouds. Nice to be out in a running skirt!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

great pictures lately for sure ........... 19yo birthday party, kids hugging dogs, and a proud DH displaying his wife's strength -- simply awesome!!

ran part of the Boston route with my friend again today ....... we drove to Newton Wellesley Hospital and ran about 6 out and back -- actually did 12.5 by my Garmin but 12.65 on hers..........guess our stops and starts at the gazillion traffic lights didnt match up.........we had so much fun at the Johnny Kelly statue today -- we were taking pics of each other when an older gentleman came up to us and offered to take one of us together..........if i can get one of my boys to help me transfer them from my cell phone i will post them later either here or on FB    .......... so much fun doing part of the route it ALMOST makes me wish i was running it this year

tonight - have to take one of my cats to the vet - he's been having seizures and he's only 4 yrs old - scary

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3589202009/a=28191142_28191142/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

denise

fussy, congrats on finishing your race series with 3rd in AG.  mariposai, it sounds like you had a neat party for the singers.  eliz, nice to hear you got a run in.  EGH, that was a tough 30K with stomach issues.  I'm glad to hear you're doing better today.  hopeful, I hope you and mrhopeful are improved.  EGH, that's fantastic about your daughter getting the "terrific kid" award.  craneium, neat poster you had made for your wife.  steve, I love the picture of Tag and the grandkid.

Nice long runs for perch, nono, fatozzigt, dive, steve, evan, BC, mariposai (with speedwork), holly (with speedwork), WRFB, and deez (on Boston course).

This morning, it was in the high 20s when I went out and about 40° two hours and a little over 3 minutes later when I finished my 12 mile run.  My pace was 10:16.  I felt a bit nervous when I made a turn near the end and felt a little twinge in a hamstring and another when I tried to pick up the pace in the last quarter mile.  Tomorrow's not a running day and I'll try a little vitamin I and ice and hope it's nothing.

Tomorrow we are going to help our daughter move and then go across the state to see my mother and one of my sisters who is visiting.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Loved the photo of Tag!  A nice doggie.

I passed the biting dog house today, no problems.

I did get out for 6 miles, but I messed up on nutrition.  I had an appointment at noon, and just ate a granola bar and tiny (I swear) piece of cake....more empty carbs...nothing solid.  Oh and I didn't eat much breakfast either.  I just didn't have time.  With about one mile to go in my run, I felt kind of lightheaded but not in any specific way, but it was starting to freak me out.  I couldn't really feel my feet touching the ground (I swear....play twilight zone music now) but I wasn't bonking either.  Luckily I had a Gu on me, which I don't always carry.  I ate it and at least psychologically I felt better.  I don't know how anyone goes 20 miles on water alone.  My max was 10 miles and I was getting the same lightheaded - tunnel vision thing happening.

I think my next purchase is going to be Vibram Five Fingers.  I did just a tiny bit of barefoot two summers ago and liked it a lot.

Dive, yes it is cold in the mornings again....that's why DH walked to the bus  He said well it was sunny.

Deez sorry about your kitty.  There are lots of human seizure meds so maybe he will be fine.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

So I get to the end of the daily, and forgot just about all the cool and funny things you guys were saying. I do remember enough to add this: I hate camping. Really. We drove from Fairbanks to Minnesota in 1968 and my dad insisted we camped in tents the whole way. It was in the late summer and it rained the entire trip. I am not kidding. By the time we got to my grandparents house, my sleeping bag had mold on it. It was awful. We left from there to spend a school year in England (my dad was faculty on sabbatical), then we reversed the miserable trip in the spring. Wet soggy clothes, bug spray in my hair for days on end, peeing in cans, sand always in my shoes. Oh. My. God. My DH wants to go camping every now and then and I say "have fun." I have absolutely no interest in ever doing anything remotely like that ever ever again. Really.

Tag and Noah are precious. Holly had some awesome 1/2 mile repeats this morning. And I like DST just fine in the spring cuz I get extra daylight in the evening. But when you have 20+ hours of daylight all summer anyway, the whole idea of DST is pretty stupid. There, I remembered that, too.

SteveP

Sweet ride Craneium!!! Kewl poster for DW too!!!

At least I got out there.   Big grin

Happy Tuesday!

kewl "Proud Daddy" moment EGH3

DW sent me that picture while I was at work. She had the day off and borrowed Noah. When DD and SIL steal him back, they tell Noah to give every one a kiss and a hug. Tag's always first when the little dude makes his rounds. When Noah's eating, the dog does a pretty good job of keeping the area clean.

Here's a picture from Noah's 2nd birthday. Grammy set the bar kid of high with the tractor. His first time driving, he got out an old cell phone and started talking. Dad thought it was funny...Grammy was ticked at DD

It sounds like a big day TomS

Note to self....don't ask Erika to go camping.....

SteveP

dg.

Steve, Smile

Erika I had one of those trips!    Might have even been the same year so

of course I was a little bit older than you were.    We drove from Ohio to the East coast & then went south... not as long as yours I'm sure, but what I remember was wet sleeping bags & sand in everything.  Permanently.  I'm still probably wet & sandy.   but I do love to camp!    maybe because I haven't done it in years...

Denise I hope your kitty is ok!!

Enke that's kind of scary!

TomS please be careful with that hamstring!!

Still skimming...

Lou, 10 at recovery pace?   Do you really recover with that long a run?  

Still running slow, but building miles now.  I hope to be able to run a bit faster starting next week.

Love that picture of Tag and his playkid.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

fattozzig very cute cartoon.

It was really nice out today (third day in a row!  ) so I went off for a walk down to the beach.  Yes, the Swans thought it was a romantic evening as well!  I had my phone with me so I shot a picture of this couple; obviously in bird love!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Kimmie

hopeful-  coyotes?  Where do you live?

Good for you on getting the run in, I would have possibly bagged due to lack of sleep.

EGH-  Yay for your Terrific Kid!!  That is so sweet!

As a Brownie leader, it makes me sad that she hated Girl Scouts.  But what I've realized is that my activities revolve around what I'm good at, which is sports or anything active and music and drama.  They're sorely lacking in crafts.   We go outside and go on field trips a lot.   As a nutritionist, I DO wish that we didn't sell Girl Scout COOKIES.    But, it's for a good cause and all that... Smile

Tramps- 

Wow, nice run.  I didn't realize you were so fast!!

Sue- curious who Jesse is (your trainer?)  and what kind of agility you are doing.

Mariposai-  Thank you!!  I'm glad to be here.  You all are great.  I am very curious about the duo recital and party you refer to....   I am new into the business of piano and voice teaching and I want to hold a recital for the kids.

Bruce- impressive streak!

And wildchild-  camping is the best part of being in Girl Scouts...  I love it!

And Holly- you're fast too!

Had a great run today... just beautiful outside.  Ran 8 miles around this lake that's by my house... the snow has finally melted off the paths.  And then I threw some hills in as I ran in the rich people's country club neighborhood and I wondered what it would be like to have to clean such a big house.   Attempted to make it a fartlek workout... so there was some fast stuff in there (for me anyway)  but with recovery, overall pace on the slow side.

Mariposai

Kimmie, I don't sing in publilc at all....not even happy birthday, but my heart is forever singing something.

So, you are a piano and voice teacher? Great run today!

enkie, scary event. I don't know how people can ever run a 20 miler without food...man I eat a lot before, during and after my 20 miler...that is the benefit of a 20 miler, is it not

Cute cartoon...you are not only strong, but funny too.

Ohh I am so excited. My favorite ultra 22 trail race has been converted into a marathon this year...yeahhhhhhhh. I always thought it should be a marathon distance and even suggested to the organizers last year..so lots of hills and downhills for me in the next couple of months until May...I am so excited about this trail marathon so near my  home...just this news!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

5.1 miles on the treadmill after work. I'd wanted to run outside, and it was light enough... but there was enough wind for a -10° windchill and I said forget it.  I got cold enough on Sunday, didn't need it today.
                              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Only Mari could celebrate adding 4+ miles to a race. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.