Masters Running

40's / 50's and beyond~ On the Run (Read 427 times)

Kevin . . . . Wow.  And I was impressed when they were able to take out my gall bladder without cutting me open.  Holy cow.  Isn't medicine absolutely incredible?  Removal of a catheter - I've never had the pleasure , but my dad knew a guy who had his removed by "accident."  Nurse came in at night to check his vitals, didn't turn any lights on 'cause she didn't want to disturb him . . . and tripped over the catheter tubing.  Let's just say he was WIDE awake after that.

I'm very happy to hear that things are progressing smoothly.  Hope you got pictures of your bruised self for evidence later that you really were sick.

Ev - I may not be a beer expert, but I have other magnificently redeeming qualities.

Okay - Off to get some transcription done.  Later ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kevin, thanks for the update on your heart.  Leslie's right, the medical technology is nothing short of incredible.  Here's to continued improvement!

Leslie, I see your redeeming qualities with nearly evry post.  Upbeat, engaging, humorous, creative, beautiful, cat lover, dedicated, fun loving, strong, ....these are just a few that I've picked up on....And I've never even met you. These qualities trump beer expertise evrytime.

Got in a good 6er yesterday evening.  Threw in a few fast 800s.  I'm pretty new to any kind of intervals and such.  Think I'll start adding some different paced runs from time to time.  I'm aiming for a half marathon in early Oct....  Spirit of Survival.  I think they've got a 5K 1/2 and full marathon.  The 5K goes up and back down Mt. Scott in the Wichita Mtns (small hills relative to other mtn ranges).  Not sure the elevation change on the 5K.....I'll have to research it and get back to you. 

Later, my friends.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Kevin, sounds like your case was more complicated than the norm.  Good thing they put you under for all that!  Glad you are having fewer "episodes" as a result of the ablation though.  My step dad's afib became a problem on his vacation and scared him pretty bad.  He's off the coumadin now, but the meds he is on seem to make him tired. 

Ev, nice speed work, and a mountain is a mountain!

Leslie, you are brave to get up that early to run before your trip.  But I guess it beats the hotel treadmill, hard to simulate trail running on those things.  Maybe they could make one with a belt that has a few rocks and stumps pasted on it, and someone could throw water on your feet to simulate a stream Wink

11.47 miles on my bike this morning.  I am going to have to investigate the laws a bit more.  I've been riding about 2.5 miles to a nice bike path,  ride the path, and then ride back home.  Decided not to fight, and just stick to the sidewalks like Mr. policeman said, but now I'm seeing other people on bikes riding in the street while I dodge all sorts of things on the sidewalk.  I spent part of my ride home today dodging the high school cross country team.  Had to come to a complete stop and off the bike at one point because there was a pack of them running together.  Nice kids, and not really their fault....just hard for that many of us to share the itty bitty sidewalk.  Also scared a poor kid who was skateboarding.  This biking stuff is more complicated than I thought!  

Progress Trumps Pefection

Morning, Peeps -

Carol - Hey, maybe I could invent that treadmill!  Re the biking, maybe call your local police department and get the scoop from the main poop.

Ev - Aw shucks .  Go on. . . . . . . . no seriously, go on!

6 miles this a.m. with strides with a 1-mile w/u.  Finished with a 9:42 ap.  Would had a better average if you exclude the w/u mile and the last gasping, I-might-puke 1/2 mile.

So while I'm gasping through my cool down walk, I look at my Garmin and my fastest pace was 5:09 or something like that.  Just think, I was running hard but under control.  These world class marathoners run in the low 4:?? for 26.2 freaking miles.  Absolutely mind-boggling.

Nobody out BBQing in the dark hours this a.m.  Just as well since my stomach was growling.  I probably would've stopped in and asked for scraps.

Have a wondrous day ~

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Awww darn! I'm not THE beer expert! I'm heartbroken. Absolutely heartbroken!   However, now that I know that there are some great IPA/hoppy beer fans in this group, well, lets just say I know exactly which brewpubs (since I don't have my very own) to take them to for entertainment.    ...& btw: at least one of em serves a really nice crisp cider too ....just the ticket for the 'non-beer' fans who also want a little unique celebratory alcohol...

Dang Kevin!~ glad you're on the mend now....hope all is smooth sailing from here on out for you & yours...just a coupla months ago, one of our friends had recurring a-fib that resulted in a valve repair & some other kinda roto-rooter job to fix an enlarged heart - not sure if the leaky valve caused all of this or the a-fib, but all is repaired, under control & healing now...his surgery was in May...he doesn't run, but has lots of advice for me!

Carol - have you ever considered some of the bigger adventure bicycle races/events?  just wonderin?

We're having one of those warm, sticky, humid, squally days around here....good day for doing laundry & cleaning out the frig I guess...hoping it moves out before time for the Snug Run....that team adventure relay race that I was invited to do is this coming wknd...the original team who invited me, disassembled...& w/all the kids here & whatnot, I decided not to find another team this year...maybe next year. But, I did refer one of the new kids (under 30) from the Snug group towards the website & he's found a team to plug into...so, maybe I can plug in & experience it vicariously.

Hey! to everybody else in here!!

gotta run....

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

TGIF eve to all....

Stumpy, your post was anything but boring. Very interesting indeed. Glad to hear your getting back into the groove with everything. That is quite an ordeal you went through. My hub has sleep apnea and about twice a year he wakes up in the middle of the night and flat out can't breath. Takes him a good minute or 2 to get a breath of air. It is really scary. Just curious, is Wakefield anywhere near Worcester? I suppose I could google it but I'm too lazy.

Hello to everyone.......my workouts this week have been, let's just say lame.

I LOVE BEER,

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Queen of 3rd Place

Greetings from the Oregon Coast! Where the running weather is a bit better than it is in Palm Springs!

Kevin - that's some story - glad it's working out well for you, and that you get to both run and drink beer.

Leslie - 5-something holy cow that's movin'! Here's a beer, er, no, how 'bout a marg? Be careful in Palm Springs, I don't think you're even a little acclimated.

Carol - you're really building up that cycling distance - bicycling + running = nice legs.

Been a great trip so far. Yesterday I stayed at a local dive that had rooms under the bar. Had a nice but HILLY run on the Avenue of the Giants...gorgeous...and got to harvest some blackberries. Chatted with some locals, had good Mexican food, a beer (Red Tail Ale) and a MARG, too - listened to a folk band and off to bed.

Cool and getting drizzly today, finally bailed off the highway and found a place right on the beach with a balcony for cheap. Nice but short run on the beach. I'm SO not missing Fresno temperatures.

Not really getting my miles in as planned but so what. Smile

Arla

Ex runner

Sleep Apnea - The Hub has had at least two episodes in the last 18 months that I witnessed.  Scared the crap out of me.  His doctor sent him to a sleep clinic - nothing.  Didn't even comment on his snoring, which can be absolutely horrendous.  I'm still scratching my head over the whole thing.

Well, it's only 7:00, but I'm butt tired, so it's off to bed with me.

Later -

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Yesterday I stayed at a local dive that had rooms under the bar.   Arla

Yeh, I slept under a bar once.   At closing time they drug me outside to the sidewalk.

Arla, sounds like a great time.  What you're doing is definately my cup of tea.....except the mc riding.  Do you remember the name of the folk band?  I've come to know some bands out on the West Coast.  The David Grisman Quintet (Carmel area but plays nationwide) and Joel Rafael Band (Southern CA, also plays all over).  Love live acoustic folk.

Glad you're getting some short runs in and I'm also glad you're not getting your planned mileage in.  That means you're relaxing, going with the flow letting life come to you.   Enjoy!

Fatozzig.....keep yourself cool out there.

Mtn.....Hey, don't get all broked up over it!    "How can you mend a broken heart? How can you stop the rain from falling down? How can you stop the sun from shining? What makes the world go around?"   I don't know either, but it made me think of these lyrics.

Got a busy day planned at work today.  A planned 9 miler late this evening will be a welcomed end to the work week for me.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hi All, just a quick wave from sister's place in Kingston NH. Been really nice up here and as Ev would say, have not had long pants on all week!

Taking nephews/neices/ grand nephews/neices down to Portsmouth Maine today to see a Tall Ships Festival then fireworks tonight at the town commons.Been getting my runs in between visiting and will be heading home on Sunday.

Catch up with you chatterboxes later!

Had a nice but HILLY run on the Avenue of the Giants...gorgeous...

Well, for crying out loud - you were in my backyard!  The Ave is like 40 minutes from my house, literally.   Re the Red Tail Ale pub - across the street is the Blue Bird Diner.  I highly recommend giving it a whirl the next time you go through there.  The food is excellent.  Where abouts were you on the Oregon Coast?

Yea!  Ev favored us with some lyrics!

Joe - The Tall Ships Festival sounds like fun.

No workout this a.m.  Decided to try and get some extra snoozing in, but the cats had other ideas.  Will force myself to do my strength training when I get home tonight.

Off to do more cleaning here at work.  I can't believe how much crap I've accumulated here over the last 11 1/2 years.  Good grief!

Happy Friday ~

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Aria!   Holy Cow, where are you on the Oregon Coast?   I'm 5 minutes from the beach.  I'm in Florence on the Central Coast.   Maybe we could meet for coffee, or I could show you some great places to run.     Woods Lady on the Oregon Coast.   

Oh, I'm off to run about 3 miles on the little bike path in town. 

Top 'O the World!

T.G.I.F!   

Think it's finally Summertime out here....predicted middle 90's for today's high   Good run @ the Snug last night...10:27 av pc...Doug did abt 8:08 ap...had a brief hard rain right before - left big puddles & lingering humidity/drippy vegitation...runners were a bit more quiet...maybe more meditative?

Have a Great Weekend everybody!

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Just curious, is Wakefield anywhere near Worcester? I suppose I could google it but I'm too lazy.

A lot slower than Google, but Worcester (pronounced Wus-ter, BTW) is about an hour or so away.  We're just north of Boston.

Glad I didn't bore anyone TOO badly.  Carol--my first major attack happened at night while I was in Abu Dhabi for a project startup.  Talk about feeling a long way from home   Fortunately, the time change played to my advantage and was able to talk with my regular doc, who calmed me down and directed me to find a hospital and get checked out.  Then I discovered that oil money does have its benefits.  for under $200 I got a visit to the ER, and EKG, and a consult with a US educated cardiologist.  and still had to argue with insurance about paying part of it when I got back. 

Joe--you're in a really nice area of the country, but I think your geography is off a little--it's either Portsmouth NH, or Portland ME.    Both very nice cities--can't go wrong with either if you want to find a lot of good restaurants.  I know the tall ships were just in Boston, but not sure where they were off to after.  Hope you had a great time! 

Ev--forgot to mention it before--running in 97º?   I have a tough time moving in that temp.  I'm very impressed.

Aarla--trip sounds great so far!

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey folks......got a nice 9er in this evening.  It was breezy and that was a blessing.  It's been awhile since I've went that distance.  Felt really good, but the hips and butt started to talk to me with about a mile to go.  Overall, a really nice run.

Hey Joe, sounds like you're having fun and gettin' in your miles.  Enjoy!

Leslie, I hope you got some rest.

Mtn...I'm confused (I know....what's new?)  I thought you weren't going to get to run the snug because of kids and stuff?    Glad you and Doug got some miles in.

Hey Woods.....

Wow, Stumpy. Thanks     .....nobody has ever been impressed by my running.