Masters Running

What chronic ailments join you in your running, and how do you deal with them? (Read 36 times)

metalmancpa

This is what my 58 year old body deals with:

Asthma - I can never get a good breathing rhythm when running. The first mile is always the toughest, and although it settles a bit, my breathing is always rough around the edges. I've tired rhythmic breathing techniques, I've focused on breathing, but the asthma wins out. And now in spring with allergies, it's just exasperated. I could take two shots of my inhaler before each run, but.....

Tachycardia - The inhalers increase heart rate, so I choose not to take inhalers because it's Tachycardia that is the ailment that shuts down runs. I could have a procedure to cauterize the electrical signal at fault (supposedly a 70%+ success rate), but since running is for fun and not a profession, I choose not to risk messing with the heart. I was told it's benign, and it's something I deal with. Very disappointing when I'm forced to walk.

Spinal Stenosis - This is an annoyance at times. It's simply weird to be running and then have your leg go numb. That makes for an interesting feeling while running.

Gout - On occasion I have gout twinges. thankfully very rarely they've happened during a run, but when they do it's simply near painful (usually the big toe). I'll generally run through the pain.

Raynaud's - This is my how to dress problem. I love running in summer because I don't have to worry about this. But a run like today, 54 degrees, I needed to dress in running pants, a long sleeved tech shirt and another slightly warmer one over that, and bring gloves. The hands go numb and are bothersome when I get an episode.

To others I definitely overdress in weather below 70. When it's below 60, I don't want to be caught several miles from home and have to walk it out and get cold, so I choose to over dress. If a tachycardia episode shuts me down in the cold and I walk, Raynaud's can kick in and cause more grief. Plus I think it prepares me better for summer running.

Every 4 years or so I deal with nerve issues in my upper leg/hamstring/hip that requires some PT and makes me have to but back my mileage and tanks any speed.

i also get cold, but not as bad as you, from what you describe.  I prefer to overdress and not be chilled.  Otherwise, just loss of muscle strength that has taken away a lot of speed.

Oh yeah- my night vision sucks, so even with a headlamp (takes away depth perception) I’m very leery of running in the dark, although I do it if I have to.  I also have osteoporosis and am supposed to try not to fall.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Asthma.  I have to use my inhaler prior to any physical activity.  If I don't, I simply can't exercise.  This winter it's been really damp, and there are times I've had to use it 3-4 times during a run, and sometimes even then it doesn't work.  I don't generally have an increase in heart rate with us, but when it's not working, it makes running feel so much more laborious..

Hamstrings. My pelvis gets off kilter easy (from a fall years ago), and when it does, it puts stress on my right hamstring.  Last year I was down for the count for 8 months because that ended up moving into ischial bursitis and sciatic nerve issues, which made any physical activity - or sitting - very painful.  Thankfully, the bursitis finally went away (it just took and a LOT of patience), but I still have to be very careful about my hamstrings and sciatic.  The sciatic is not the usually "shooting pain down the leg" thing.  It can make sitting an issue, along with the hamstring, or feel like a red hot poker is getting stuck into my right buttock.  I have, however, found a wonderful sports chiro who is really helping me.  He's young, enthusiastic, into all sorts of sports, and is full of great ideas and exercises.  I feel very fortunate to have found him.  And I am also being VERY diligent about hip, glute, hamstring, core exercises to keep things stable.

Inflexible Big Toes.  My big toes aren't as flexible as they should be, which messes with my gait, etc., so I have work on "loosening them up," mostly by adding pressure in the opposite direction from which they bend.

Arthritis.  Old "Arthur" (as my mom called it) is rearing its ugly head.  But I have been taking a tumeric supplement for about a month now and it has helped quite a bit, with my achy big toes and my hands.

I feel blessed, seriously, that I don't have anything more serious.  My mom had terrible rheumatoid arthritis, as well as 2 other types, and the last few years of her life, she could barely walk, let alone consider running.  I do what I do for myself and because she never could.

Age - it sure ain't for sissies ~~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Raynaud's: So I wear gloves till the temps get close to 60. In the winter I use a combination of lined mittens and gloves, and it'll still take 2-3 miles before I get enough circulation going in my hands so they at least won't be numb.

Chronic tight glutes: I get knots in my glutes fairly often, so I am best friends with my foam roller, roller stick, and lacrosse ball. I'll do some extra rolling around at least 2-3 times a week to try to keep me knot-free.

Weak back muscles: Not a big deal, unless I skip a core workout, which I do at least 5 days a week.

In the scheme of things, I've got it pretty easy.

Thanks,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

At 84 I should have a lot more chronic conditions than I do have and I’m thankful for that. Mostly arthritis (Chondoitin/Glucosamine)and prostatism (a lot of pit stops). Occasional back problems-haven’t been a problem if I do my stretches (yoga helped). Also, I had a R knee replacement 1.5 years ago and I’m back to running-but very slowly.

Genes, diet and lifestyle can’t be ignored. Also most of my chronic ailments are due to a condition called OLD.

...double hip replacements from OsteoArthritis......

after

42-years of Running,

I have had to switch off to-

PoolRunning,( 12-years) no flotation belt, closed fists, run in shallows, push AGAINST the water in the shallows

Heavy Hands (22-years) ....which is fast walking with 3-lb trailboots, 4-lb handweights (14-lbs total)

am currently trying ARC Trainer (but won't draw any conclusions for 10-years)

I make the work-outs as difficult as possible to mimic the TrailRunning Work-Out

..............while you CAN ''Run'' with hip-implants,

it makes a surgery which should last 20-years become a 2nd surgery possible after 10-years

SHORT VERSION-

You Work with What You Got

................Wishing you Good Work-Outs whatever they are.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

well, I started out thinking "that's quite the list"  Then I read it and went wait--tachy, well I had a-fib, oh gout--I've got gout.  Oh yeah Reynaud's, too.    And I take meds for high blood pressure to add to the list.  Guess I've got OLD, too.

I ended up with getting ablated for the a-fib, but still have some meds that somewhat limit my max heartrate. Now on meds to reduce the gout, which appears to be in both big toes.  As well as index finger--doesn't affect my running much, but it's the most painful when bumped.  Raynauds--for some reason , it shows up more while not running.  If I get a mile or so into the run and warm up, it usually stays away.

Main concession is to run before the morning meds, so that the levels are as low as possible.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

Arthritis - I pop turmeric and glucosamine and stretch. I use adjustable knee braces, ankle braces, compression gloves and shirts.I call what I do on the trails accelerated hiking.

SteveP

Prince of Fatness

At 84

I’m back to running

You're my hero.

Back to lurking.

Not at it at all. 

Henrun

You're my hero.

Back to lurking.

😊

spinach

I am 60 and I have some arthritis in my knees. A year and a half ago I had some other problems with my good knee and had a couple surgeries. The surgeon told me that my good knee, the one that had the surgeries, has stage four arthritis on that knee.  And that was my good knee.  I have some problems and pains when I walk and have a pretty bad limp when I walk.  However, i think my running has helped me a lot.  I don't limp much, if at all, when I run and I really don't have any pain in my knees while i run.

When I recently reread about the stage four arthritis it sounds like stage four is the time when you need to knee replacement.  I think the running has kept my knees moving better. That is the plan--Keep Moving.  I won a couple races last year with my bad knees. I hope to keep moving them and maybe I will be able to postpone or prevent the knee replacements.

Keep Moving.

TammyinGP

I'm curious if anyone has tried CBD oils for achy joints, arthritis, etc. and if so have you noticed a difference?

Tammy

I'm curious if anyone has tried CBD oils for achy joints, arthritis, etc. and if so have you noticed a difference?

A woman I know in the trail running community posted in FB today about CBD oils.  She's been using it on her knees and said it's made a difference.  Her post:

Hooray! I am running again! I was skeptical about CBD but have found it very helpful with the arthritis in my knees.

Do you have inflamation or chronic pain that is keeping you from being as active as you'd like to be? Want to try CBD?

ReviveHempHealth.com

25% Off! Coupon Code: heal25LW

(CBD is legal in all 50 states and is THC free)

https://www.cbsnews.com/…/cbd-oil-cannabidiol-rise-in-popu…/

I have a CBD salve, but I haven't been good about using it.  Instead, on my NP's recommendation, I've been taking a turmeric supplement for over a month now and have seen a noticeable difference in my fingers.  A friend takes a high dose of turmeric/black pepper every day for her knees and she said she has had significant decrease in pain in her knees.  She makes her own capsules because she takes up to 6 a day.  Right now, I'm doing good with one capsule a day that has 50 mg of turmeric in it and other stuff.  It's my understanding black pepper is a key component to the turmeric working.  The first supplement I tried, I burped it back up.  I'm taking Solgar No. 7, which isn't inexpensive, but it doesn't revisit me.

Cinnamon was also recommended to me by my NP.  I'm considering upping my intake of cinnamon toast. 

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I read so many positive reviews from folks using CBD oil - whether it's for pain, inflammation, aches, soft tissue injuries, etc.   I have some CBD salve on my shin now but not that I expect one application to do anything. I just stopped in at a local hemp company store near my office to see what they carried and prices because I was curious, so I tried a sample of this on my shin. expensive stuff!  I also got some samples of their pet line of CBD oil products.

Tammy