Masters Running

Mondaily, 5.21.18 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    Sees-the-Ground (6 miles, post-thunder & pre-rain)
    Spacityrunner (5.2 slow/sweaty morning mountain miles with the gang & a copperhead)
    Tomwhite (60 min bike ride with hill repeats in 88° temps + 60 min HH 3-2s in 90° temps)
    Holly (12.1 lovely morning miles with no peroneal tendonitis)
    RunnerKSA (2.6 mile morning walk + 3 afternoon TM miles with some slow jogging)
    Quickadder (8.2 trail miles in 88° with high humidity & some wildlife)
    Twocat (7 morning miles with no wildlife)
    Surly Bill (7.4 Mt. Tam trail miles with 900 ft elevation gain)

Mike (6 early miles)

Evanflein (11.5 miles with traffic stops and breeze breaks)

TammyGP (6 miles)

Mariposai (8 miles with the running partner)

Glad to see that some runners (Sees-the-Ground, Evanflein, etc.) are hitting good benchmarks/targets. Keep up the good & smart work.

Looks like heat is creeping in around the country so be mindful of acclimating to the warmer weather.

I'm glad it was just an 'almost' Tomwhite, and not something worse. On the other hand, it is a shame that it was even an 'almost.'

Scary cougar stories all around, and good learning about how to deal with them.

KSA, here are some good, basic tutorials on racewalking, just in case you have the urge (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGenRcuYN2kf45gZv32w-XsYdmehiq5Qa). Even if you don't get to the point of being 'legal,' employing some of the techniques can help make you a faster walker with more satisfying walking workouts.

What a day, Fatozzig!

Good luck to your DH with his surgery today, Tammy.

We had our judged racewalks yesterday morning, and the best performance was by the 19 year-old woman who won the 5000m race in 27:09. She was cruising! 3 racers got 'warnings' from the judges, but no one was DQ'd. After we got home from that, DW and I cleared out most of the garage and degreased the floor (always a fun project) in preparation for painting it. I also cut and hung pegboard in our shed, and loaded yard tools on that, and did some weeding. DW and I found time to sit on the front porch with homemade caramelized onion dip, veggies, and some wine while we made our regular Sunday afternoon call to a friend, and then went for a walk along the coast after dinner. We were glad the weekend was over - it was exhausting! But my schedule for the week doesn't look all that much easier.

6 RW miles in 52° temps and under clear skies this morning. My toe is still sore from when I dropped that pegboard on it last week, but I'm doing my best to ignore it.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...I sent enke a message///,,,,,,,,,,,,but wouldn't BearSpray discourage a cougar??

I figure it's like BulletProofGlass

,,,,,,,,,,,,,you wouldn't want to find out if it works,

but

it beats nothing

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Good morning, Jay (and Tom, who snuck in as I typed)

I missed weekend posts but will catch up later.

After a week of rain (and some local flooding), yesterday and today brought sunshine and hot, humid temps. Swampy 5 miles this morning.

I suspect tonight will be the last Caps game of the season bringing them another "trophy" for their list of chokes: only team in NHL history to go up 2-0 in a conference final and then lose. Sigh. Meanwhile, what about Vegas? A team of castaways! My favorite description of them was when some analyst called them "a team with four second lines." They're growing on me. I also think they qualify for the "underdog" role in the finals, so I'll have to root for them (unless the Caps pull off a miracle, of course).

Be safe. Be kind.

Quickadder

4 warm and fuzzy miles at daybreak (73F and visibility of 100 yards - couldn't think of a better description than warm & fuzzy, though swampy - shout out to Tramps for that description - comes close).

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

4.5 miles slowed a little by hitting the chip trails.  No mountain lions, but I saw 2 deer yesterday, so the cats can't be far behind?

Bill Wagnon / stl

Henrun

Still dealing with my Achilles and lurking here. Started PT and, of course, pain increased to point where I could hardly walk after Thursday’s sesssion. But there’s been gradual improvement over the weekend and this morning I did indoor cycling, weights and a 2 mile walk in the warm sunshine. Will continue 2 x weekly PT and hope for the best.

Yesterday we headed to downtown Boston for tha Adidas Boost street track games. It featured elite track stars and a world record was established for the women’s 150 meters. The meet was nationally televised on NBC and was free to watch unless you paid for grandstand seats. Fun to watch in person.

Thanks, Jay.  I'll check that out.

3 miles of mainly walking but with some jogs of 30 seconds to 4 minutes thrown in.  See the doc today.

Doc really worked me over and did more dry needling.  Happy with my progress.  Wanted me to up my running stretches, so I went home and got on the treadmill for a run/walk and did manage a straight mile.  Doing better.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Started Monday off with 4.26 miles which included some hill repeats.  4 times up a gravel road to the baseball fields, around the fields and down the other side.  It's about a half mile loop so it isn't like I'm sprinting up a hill over and over. I have a nice long break in-between each "up".

I was thinking about running smells today because of a strong whiff of lilacs this morning. Reminded me of when I was up in Mackinac Island a week after the Lilac Festival. The Island is covered with lilacs (it seems).  A few hundred yards later I was hit with a strong skunk smell.  I kept a careful eye out but never saw who was responsible for the odor.

Next door to us is an assisted living center and some mornings the smell of them cooking breakfast is strong.  It's like living next to an IHop but you aren't allowed to go in and eat.

Had a dentist appointment today. For the first time in at least 18 years I have cavities. Upper right and lower left locations which means 2 return visits for work. Wait until they get a load of my needle phobia. I warned them but they seemed unconcerned. Just wait until I sweat out a gallon of water in 5 minutes over their nice clean dental chair. No one ever believes me when I say how bad it is. Like everyone else, they will be completely amazed.

They also said I am showing signs of clenching my jaw at night and suggested trying an OTC night guard. If that doesn't work they can make a custom one. This could explain my recent neck soreness too. I tried switching pillows but my neck still has been hurting. Wonder why I started clenching my jaw at night??

TammyinGP

just a quick 2.4 miles this morning with the dogs.

Tammy

I was thinking about running smells today. . . 

I love the smell of a forest when it warming up.

Dave - Good luck with the needles issue.  Do they still administer happy gas?  Can you request it?

Jay - Homemade caramelized onion dip? Sign me up!!

Nothing else today.  My legs are tired from Saturday and then all my yard work yesterday, but I'll get in a core/ST workout when I get home.  I noticed Saturday that my right leg is starting "buckle in" again when I'm running and it gets tired.  This puts an added strain on my IT band and hip, so I need to ratchet up my hip/glute strengthening.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...we have honeysuckle in the woods where I cycle...........Love that Smell.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

7 sproinky miles around the neighborhood dirt roads.  Thought I'd wait another day for the trails to dry out from all the rain over the weekend.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Leslie - DS is majoring in Environmental Science, which is a wonderful major that can take him in lots of different directions. Add to that that he is a vegetarian (because of the pollution caused by animal agricultural) and that he honestly tries to do his part to be as "green" as possible.  Last year he won a paid internship ($10/hour) with the City of Dayton's Environment Science division, which gives him real world experience in lots of areas of the practice - testing local water for pollutants, making sure businesses are property disposing of contaminants, ensuring that vehicle accident scenes are appropriately cleaned up, etc.  Plus, he gets 6 college credit hours each year.  He worked 20+ hours/week during the school year, is working 40/hours/week this summer, and they have re-appointed him for the next school year because he is doing so well.  It is very likely the City of Dayton will offer him a job at graduation - better pay and benefits than I will ever see.  I am extremely proud of him, not just because of his accomplishments but because he has just grown into a wonderful young man.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love that boy?

Dave - bring a towel to the appointment to lay on the seat.  Don't they give Valium to extremely nervous patients?  I could tell you some stories about my dental visits, but I won't.....

Running smells - I love the spring the most for this, as every week or even few days the smells change as new plants bloom and awake from their winter slumber....

Our server at work was out today, apparently the power source blew up (possibly from a lightning strike).  Anyway, since we are mostly paperless, with no access to documents or software we were mostly unable to work.  Fortunately for me, I had boatloads of emails and voicemails to respond to, and filled my day with that, but most of the office workers stood around all day or left early.  The boss called from his Florida vacation to ask the receptionist who was there and who left.  Fortunately, I was hard at work at my desk.   Supposedly this will be fixed by close of business tomorrow.  I hope I can find enough paperless work until it is up and running again.

No run for me today, but about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bioguy

Dave- I woke up one day and thought one of my teeth felt funny. I had clenched so hard at night I broke off the tip of a lower incisor.

Don't mind needles; last fall I had two wisdom teeth pulled just with local anesthetic.

Anyway, I planned on running today, but ended up doing some housework, making dinner, and mowing the back yard, There's a local 10 miler this Saturday I'd like to run, so hoping my marathon training is still around.

Tailwinds!

spacityrunner

5 miles on Hot Springs Mountain with the trail gang tonight. Hot Sweaty Hard...but as always, tons of fun.   Now the t-storms are rolling in...not sure how close they will come to me but I can hear them and it sure is getting dark out there .

Trails Rock!