Masters Running

Monday's Fun Times And Chime Ins.7/22/19 (Read 41 times)

SteveP

Smart decision, Joe.  . 

Agreed, but difficult.

BTY, thanks for the lawnmower information. Simple doesn't mean easy.

Surly Bill, DW and I would love to see a play you'v built the sets for. Wow.

I may have joined the Dallas Smith fan club. That race would have appealed to me when I was single.

Saturday's goal was to run to work. Cherished member of the community passed and her funeral was Saturday.I drove in early.

I stayed after Church yesterday and helped remove pews for remodeling. They were more than 20' long and solid oak. There were enough people at first that we could grab every other pew. That didn't last long as people fizzled fast. By the time we were done, I'd gab the left end and carry. Get back in time to grab the middle of a pew, then back in time to haul the right end and would sit the 4th one out. We were all happy when the last one landed. Even though I kept my fluids up, I was nauseous when I got home.

I'm calling today a rest day. I've not had pain issues so far and I don't want to screw it up.

SteveP

Joe618

Morning all!  Thanks for the start, Steve.   That's is quite an upper body workout there.   Though, instead of saying "phew" at the end of it all, you'd just say "pew" this time....

Got in 5.1 miles early this morning.   Amazing that 70F plus high humidity feels so much better after 90F plus high humidity.   I was still soaked at the end but ran a much better pace.

Joe - I’m really surprised at what happened.  
      Do you think it would have been the same
      for you if Jon wasn’t there?
      Today’s triathlon was the worst ever.
      It would have taken Holly and BTY nearly an hour to swim her 1100 years if it’d been at my today’s pace of 4:48/100yds and, at 12.4 mph on the bike, I might as well have been pushing it instead of riding plus the finale 5K took more than 42 minutes, nearly 2X of what it used to take.  Didn’t matter, though, as a non-swimmer, even though I've done badly in from 1-5 tri's a year since 1978, all have been, immense challenges of fun and good exercise that never would have happened without them.

Congrats on finishing the Tri, Tet!!  Well done.  You call yourself a "non-swimmer" but you do seem to keep moving and stay afloat.   Good for you.

You ask about my decision on Saturday and you get to a key point...would I have kept running had my buddy not nearly passed out and dropped?  A good question and I've wondered a lot about it.   I suspect I would have gone another 5K, to get to 25K total.  But farther?   i really don't know.   They published final results last night and it made for interesting reading.   150 people started.   25 dropped out before I did.  Many only ran 3 to 4 hours.  This race was marathon #200 for a friend of mine...he gutted it out and got in 26.2 but it took him 7.5 hours.   He was walking the whole thing.   At the other end, the winning male ran 48.2 miles and the winning female ran 36.8 miles.   Amazing in that heat.

Back to the grind for some of us...enjoy retirement, the rest of you!!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Steve. Joe is right about the "pew" workout! Smart move on your part to take it easy after that workout yesterday, and especially after how you felt when you were done. I'm sorry about the passing of the community member.

Amazing mileage by the winning man and woman on Saturday, Joe. I imagine there weren't all that many people who finished in that awful weather. I'm glad you had better weather and a better run this morning.

I am retired, and it is back to the grind for me, with meetings at 3:00, 4:00 and 5:30 today. What's wrong with this picture?

5 RW miles this morning, also in 70° temps with the dew point in the mid 60s. Also like Joe, "I was still soaked at the end but ran walked a much better pace."

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Steve.  Good work on the pews! Those suckers are heavy.  We did mission work in Honduras for a few years and were connected with a church/school down there and we did move heavy things!

Joe-  those are just not the conditions for long distance running!  You were wise.

As smart as I'm supposed to be, I don't seem to learn my lessons.  I made the mistake of commenting on a facebook friend's  (former HS classmate) nasty political post.  I keep thinking there is room for respectful dialogue.   I am not correct about that.  I've spent a long career having to see the viewpoint on the other side and weigh its merits-   others- not so much.    It was upsetting, and I need to STAY AWAY!!!!!  At least it wasn't with my sister this time!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BTY

Holly - speed in the water is not everything.  You definitely inspired me this morning to push past the second set of repeats and do the 3rd set to get to 1100 yards including a cooldown of 50 yards of backstroke.

Today's workout was 5 minutes of stretching followed by 3 sets of pulldowns, 3 sets of rows, and 3 sets of barbell curls, followed by 3 sets of:

100 yards breaststroke, 100 yards backstroke, 100 yards crawl, and 50 yards of butterfly (with a little rest after 25 yards).

I sent the management of the gym a request to put some sort of marker somewhere that would be visible to me so that I can estimate my distance from the end of the pool while doing the backstroke.  Another solution is for me to get prescription goggles.  I had never heard of them until about 2 months ago and figured they must be in the hundreds of dollars range, but was surprised to find that they cost about the same as regular goggles.  You just have to find a pair that are approximately equal to your existing prescription - you arent going to be driving, you just want to sort of be able to see.  If they correct me even to 20:100 I'll be happy and so will the top of my skull.

Have a greta day, Runners! 

Dave59

3.18 miles this morning.

I was getting ready to go to the park when I heard heavy rain hitting the windows, so I figured I'd go to Planet Fitness, but as started that way the rain had stopped and the sky got brighter, so I went to the park anyway. A light rain started up during the last mile, but not like the deluge that hit earlier.

I'm off work this week. Monday-Wednesday will be doing stuff with my granddaughter and then on Thursday we begin our trip back to Navarre Beach to return her home. Since she sleeps late, I can have some relaxing mornings. Today I am going to go get a haircut, run a couple errands, and then do some reading if she is still asleep.  Tomorrow it is supposed to be much cooler and less humid so I think I'll drive to a different park and run more than my usual 3 miles.

anneb

Good morning and happy Monday! 66 here with a breeze from the north - it’s nice when your easy pace and your heart rate actually line up. 4.2 miles around the neighborhood to start the week.

Solid cross training Steve.

Joe- I don’t think that super hot and humid weather is meant for running long. I didn’t make it 5 miles on Saturday, and that was at 7am.

Anne

Though, instead of saying "phew" at the end of it all, you'd just say "pew" this time....

Booo!

Thanks for the start Steve, and how nice of you to spend your day off helping your church.

I've never seen such a busy "retired" guy in my life Jay! That's 3 too many meetings today!

I've learned nothing good can come from responding to political posts on FB KSA. Better to just bite your tongue and try to ignore them.

Nice workout this morning BTY.

Enjoy your time with your GD Dave! How old is she again?

8 miles for me this morning. A beautiful summer day now that all of the H&H has moved on. DH and I finished 2nd in the husband/wife golf tournament. I didn't play real well, but it was the best ball of two on every hole and I helped on a bunch, so he still loves me!

Have a great start to your week everyone.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thought I’d seen lane markers that were different colors x amount  of distance from the wall?

Holly - speed in the water is not everything.  You definitely inspired me this morning to push past the second set of repeats and do the 3rd set to get to 1100 yards including a cooldown of 50 yards of backstroke.

Today's workout was 5 minutes of stretching followed by 3 sets of pulldowns, 3 sets of rows, and 3 sets of barbell curls, followed by 3 sets of:

100 yards breaststroke, 100 yards backstroke, 100 yards crawl, and 50 yards of butterfly (with a little rest after 25 yards).

I sent the management of the gym a request to put some sort of marker somewhere that would be visible to me so that I can estimate my distance from the end of the pool while doing the backstroke.  Another solution is for me to get prescription goggles.  I had never heard of them until about 2 months ago and figured they must be in the hundreds of dollars range, but was surprised to find that they cost about the same as regular goggles.  You just have to find a pair that are approximately equal to your existing prescription - you arent going to be driving, you just want to sort of be able to see.  If they correct me even to 20:100 I'll be happy and so will the top of my skull.

Have a greta day, Runners! 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

falconfixer and marj, I'm also a Tour geek if you haven't noticed. I'm really enjoying it so far since there have been more unexpected things happening than the last few years. I really hope that a Frenchman ends up at the top of the podium in Paris, Tibot if not Alaphillipe.

Joe, that's why I thought it was a good idea that they canceled the NYC triathlon this weekend. Most runners I know have at least some sense of not pushing it in seriously dangerous conditions. Triathletes, on the other hand, with their Type AAA personalities, are likely to literally work themselves to death if it's just another challenge to overcome...

So like for some others, it was 20F cooler this morning than the past several days and IRC for a faster-than-usual run. So I ran the "virtual 5K" that was one of my Strava challenges for July and finished in 30:20 for a 9:35 pace that I was quite happy with for running solo. Worldwide, 67,000 people have uploaded their races and right now I'm 44,000th or so, but 22 of 64 in the male 70-74 AG (which shows how few people my age are on Strava I suppose). The fastest overall right now is a guy in England who ran it in 12:38 for a 4:04 pace! Anyway, just for fun but really motivating for me to have a reason to run fast on a Monday morning.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

Good morning to you  my friends.

That Tet never stop impressing us all. Way to go with the tri

Holly, how is the foot doing. It looks like you will have a fun February.

Erika, how is your hand. Any news about the work budget?

Well, I had a busy weekend cooking a paella dinner dinner for a family who purchased my action item at a fundraiser.  They paid 500 dollars for a dinner for 6. I had a blast cooking for them. I even wore my flamenco dress to serve the meal. Yesterday we spent a few hours picking huckleberries with some friends.  A fun weekend,  but only 7 miles of running the entire weekend.

Enjoy your week!!!.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I've started to respond to certain political posts, but then my brain has kicked into gear and I deleted it before hitting "Send."  It's just not worth it.

Joe - It sounds like you made the right decision in pulling the plug on the 12 hr race.  Those temps are not something to mess with.  However, in the future if you decide you want to do something like that and need a way to stay cool, ice bandanas make a huge difference.  I have 2 I always take with me and have handy at any race, just in case.

Surly - Thanks for sharing the pics!

We're back home!  The Hub respectfully let me sleep in until 5:00 yesterday and then we were on the road by 5:30.  He initially said he wanted to leave by 3:00 or 4:00.  I flat out refused to leave by 3:00.

We were home by 2:00, then I spent the next 3+ hrs unpacking, doing laundry, cleaning up cat messes, and watering my poor flower pots.  We always have a house sitter and I leave very clear instructions for watering, but you'd think she could look at things and say, "Well, that plant is actually wilting so maybe it could use more water."  OR "Something smells amiss in here, maybe I should investigate if one of the cats did something to express their displeasure at being left with a house sitter."  Drives me crazy, but (1) she's a co-worker and has been our house sitter for a long time, and (2) she only charges $25 a day.

Needless to say, after a very long day yesterday, I had no desire to get up and work out this morning.  I'll get back on schedule tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have a very full inbox to go through here at work. 

Image result for back to work monday pictures

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - your worst tri is still better than no tri at all.....

BTY - prescription goggles, definitely the way to go if you don't wear contacts (as I do).  I would be blind as a bat without them.

No run for me (again), 40 minutes on the bike-to-nowhere instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

Out at 7 a.m. for a nice little 4 mile walk around the neighborhood.  The cold front had not yet arrived so it was typical middle of the summer yuk!  Met 3 dogs on the walk...glad I had my doggie treats with me.  Even with the doggie stops I managed an 18 m/m.  

Surly that set looks much like the ones used when I saw Le Miz...good work!!!

Steve thats a lot of pew cross training...

I will bet that everyone enjoyed your dinner Butterfly lady.  

Leslie:  $25 a day and all cats are alive when you return...thats a pretty good deal for a bit of cat crap clean up in return!  Oh and welcome back!  Did you clean out the good will?

Joe:  our ultra assoc. held their first race of the season Saturday night.  It starts at 8 p.m. and it was still so hot and humid.  I did the 25k one year and I don't know if I'll ever do it again.  Brutal.

Trails Rock!

Leslie:  $25 a day and all cats are alive when you return...thats a pretty good deal for a bit of cat crap clean up in return!  Oh and welcome back!  Did you clean out the good will?

Unfortunately, they don't express their displeasure by depositing bits of cat crap.  It's more the fluid variety and basically I have to walk room to room trying to ferret it out.  Thankfully (or maybe not), I'm blessed with my mother's sense of smell so I can tell if something's amiss almost as soon as I walk in the door.

And yes!  I did my part to keep Goodwill in business! 

This morning The Hub tells me he's going to his family reunion . . . not this coming weekend but next weekend.  Do I want to go?  Well, it's not do I want to but can I go.  I just took 7 days off work and now I'm supposed to ask for another day off two weeks later?  And he says it's a camping reunion, and since we don't have a 2-person tent we'll have to sleep in the back of his truck.  The whole thing is sound less appealing by the minute. 

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance