Masters Running

What was I thinking?... (Read 267 times)

Mariposai

What was I thinking to sign up for a fall marathon when I knew fully well that August and September would be so full of traveling for me?

After a week of traveling and not being able to do any decent long distance running I am back home now and reality is slowly starting to sink in and I need your help.

My reality is this: I am scheduled to run the NYC marathon on Nov. 1. Until now I have been able to fit two 18 miler and one 20 miler. September should be my peak miles month, but as of tomorrow and for the next 14 days I will be hiking the Wonderland Trail, encircling Mt. Rainier. This trek will not be your easy novice trek. We will cover 98 miles and going up and down very serious terrains...so...a chance to run after a grueling day of hiking is almost out of the question since I am not a wonder woman

So...my question to you all is this: how do I proceed with training after I return in order to fit in a couple of 20 miler and still hope to have a decent marathon time (obviously I am not planning to race this one). Will the two weeks of hiking compromise my speed? Should I dare to try to run short distances after my daily hike and if so...what kind of run should that be...slow/tempo/speed?

Any and all advice is welcomed...but please be quick...I leave tomorrow early morning

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - I posted over at KR, but I'll say it here, too - if your marathon is on November 1, you could try for a 20-miler on September 27 and October 11 and still be in good shape for your marathon. Your hiking will only add to your fitness. It soulds like such an awesome trip! I hope you post pictures when you get back.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

I'm going to go against the grain and say don't worry so much about getting those 20 milers in.  Think time.  Can you run for 2 and a half hours every weekend once you are back from vacation?  Try that.  And get out as much as you can during the week.  Maybe do 90 minutes one day and an hour all of the others.  As much as you can.  I think a few weeks of consistent time on your feet would be better than doing a couple of 20 milers, especially if those 20 milers take away from running the rest of the week.

As for your vacation goes, enjoy the hiking.  That's plenty of exercise.  If you run do it because you feel up to it and want to, not because you have to.

Not at it at all. 

King of PhotoShop

And you just know I am laughing like hell at this!  Spareribs
          wildchild

Carolyn

I can't really answer your question about 20 mile runs, as I haven't ever run that far.  But as far as running during a backpacking trip, I don't think that's a good idea, for lots of reasons:

1. You'd have to carry running shoes and clothes, and your backpack will be heavy enough.  (I hope you're getting re-supplied with food along the way, since 14 days of food is a whole lot to carry!)

2.  The terrain will be rough, so at best you'd be doing slow trail runs. Forget tempo or speed work - not possible on any mountain trails I've ever hiked!

3.  There may be bears or mountain lions, so running alone is a BAD idea.

4.  If you twisted an ankle, you would be very far from help, plus it would ruin your backpacking trip.

Have a great trip!  Here's a picture from my recent backpacking trip in Wyoming to get you psyched for your hike:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

may be you were thinking of this

Reflection Lake at Mt. Rainier by hikingdrew . Wonderland Trail-Mt. Rainier,WA 9/06 by Recess1979 . Wonderland Trail (Mt. Rainier) by shawn wetterauOn the Wonderland Trail by zenquest . waterfall along wonderland trail by tuolumne tradster . 012_12 by goodnight_backpacker 

and still hope to have a decent marathon time

(obviously I am not planning to race this one).

check with ilene about what going to the east coast for a good time.

otherwise, cancel the hike and start training.

However, you training for a marathon is like me training to taper

ps - don't taper too much or you might BQ.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi Nancy!   Such a problem!    My gut feeling is that you can do both.  Just use your head on the hike.   Sounds like a fab. thing to be able to do.  The bad news from here is that a woman runner, your age, that I know was bitten by a dog on the road you ran here right next to our property.  That means I am not  going to run on that road.  Nuts!