Masters Running

Monday, April 6 Runs and Stuff (Read 465 times)

King of PhotoShop

Recovery run for me today, 3.5 slow on the dirt, followed by a long flex and core workout at the Y. Bill, that is a good call. As you know from my own approach of two key workouts a week, ideally you would do the long run, then a short slow recovery run the next day, then an easy run the day after that, before you do another key workout, so you are always getting two full days of recuperation before you do another big one. I like your approach. Tons of work to do. Spareribs
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mary, what cute puppies! DS16 and I had a fun visit at the University of Texas. We got to talk with three amazing people: Bubba Thornton, the head track coach, who was also the Olympic track coach last summer; Lopez Lomong, the US 1500-meter runner who was also the Olympic flag-bearer; and Mack Brown, the football coach. All three were SO gracious and friendly and talked to DS as if he were very important! The Texas program is amazing, of course. Basically the athletes get ANYTHING they need. We thought the underwater treadmill with the accompaning large-screen TV was pretty cool! They also have a room FULL of Nike shoes - regular running shoes as well as training flats and racing flats. The kids who do 80 miles a week get new shoes once a month. If they don't have the right shoe size, Nike will get it to them by the next morning. Kids who go on to post-season meets get cool orange and white shoes with the UT emblem. Everyone is issued two sets of workout clothes, and a guy washes one set every night (of course that stood out to Mom). We also spoke with the weight coach who works only with the track team. He came over, took a look at DS, and said, "You must be a shotputter!" It was funny. He spent a good bit of time giving DS advice about what he can do right now to get stronger for running (lots of pull-ups, where you kick your legs at the same time, for example). We spent about an hour with the assistant coach, John Hayes, who works with the distance runners. He was very encouraging and thinks DS would do fine at UT. He also had a lot of advice, such as running lots of 50-meter sprints to work on leg turnover, and running (16) 100-meter intervals at mile pace. All year round! He said you just never know how any HS kid will do in college. Some of the best guys get discouraged when they finish 3 minutes behind another runner in an 8k race. Genetics also plays a huge role. He said it's also challenging for young guys like DS, because he could be running against guys as old as 25. He did say that DS looks young and should grow some more. We also went to the Texas Relays, which are fun because they mix up the high school and university races. We saw one tiny HS girl run the 3200-meter race in 10:12!!! That broke the meet record by 20 seconds. We saw UT win the men's 4x800 relay (wow, their uniforms were skin-tight - why wear clothes?), and a UT freshman win his very first 1600-meter race at the college level. The steeplechase races were also fun to see. DS and I went down to Town Lake and ran (separately, of course) on the beautiful Hike and Bike Trail in perfect 48-degree, sunny weather. I went 6 miles and he did 7.5 miles. Lots of people passed me; no one passed him! He had to wait for me awhile to finish. The next morning, I ran 3 HILLY miles in my parents' neighborhood - what a challenging place to run! Texas is not all flat, trust me. This morning, I did 3.6 carpy miles with my friend. I ate WAY too much BBQ and Tex-Mex food on the trip, so I have to get my act together. Thanks for reading my novel! We're certainly not putting all our eggs in one basket; it was just fun seeing such a Cadillac program!
        GO TARHEELS!
        Hey, Peter, we should have some sort of bet going here. You know, the loser has to do something running-related. Any ideas that aren't too embarassing? We're hoping that today's weather freaks out the Carolinians or something. I'm taking a day off after yesterday's long, strong run, but the weather outside would have kept me from anything except the treadmill in any case. It looks like the middle of January out there, but fortunately it'll all melt in a day or two (I hope!). Hope the rest of you have better conditions for your runs today.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

the loser has to do something running-related. Any ideas that aren't too embarassing?
          it's kind of embarrassing, to say nothing of being opposite-land, so don't tell timmy or doublecat but I'll celebrate by breaking my current taper for an upcoming 50K (franci's 50-miler) with a mile training run for every point Michigan wins by in their home state.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Yay, it's puppy day! I was wondering if this would be the day, and was so happy to hear that they're all doing well. Teresa, sounds like you and DS had a great visit at UT - is that his first choice school now? No run for me yesterday - too much snow, plus DH and I spent all day finishing the taxes. But at about 10 pm I figured out we're actually getting a refund! Smile There's a fair bit of snow on the ground even down in the flatlands, but it's supposed to warm up to the mid 50's today so I plan to RAL.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

beautiful baby pups! Not much to report from me. This past week was my cutback week, so my long run on Saturday was only 7 miles. It was a sunny day here, close to 70, so felt good to run in the sunshines. I ran 7 miles of hills and trails at my house, so the hills kicked my butt and my legs were pretty tired. Yesterday was a total nothing day for me. We were supposed to go hiking with some friends in the afternoon, but DH got a call that morning that a guy he knew was killed on a motorcycle(cars fault), riding home from work. Only 24. I had never met him before. DH wasn't much in the mood for anything after that . . understandably. That's three friends we've lost in about 6 wks - all too young and unexpected. Today we are supposed to hit 80 degrees! So, I think I will take the dogs out for a short run after work this evening. Have a good day everyone!

Tammy

evanflein

Tammy, that's so sad about your DH's friend. I agree, much too young. Not that there's ever a good age for that to happen... Puppies! Ten of 'em, wow. Hailey must be relieved to have that over with. Now just a few weeks of nursing 10 hungry mouths. They're so cute, they look like little cows! Big grin I feel pretty good after yesterday's 21 miler. Like Byll, I'm thinking a day in the pool might be a good idea. I could do some pool running while the boys are at soccer tonight. I've also made a list of all the things I've blown off while training that I'm going to try to get done during taper.... Like Taxes! Thanks for the reminder, Carolyn.
                  Walt - hugs to your DD. Hope she's on the mend. Holly - congrats on the awesome race. Nono - yep, yesterday was a JB kind of day; your were smart to get out there early today; I practically had to swim from the mainland to the library this afternoon. Mary - thanks for posting the adorable puppy pic; congrats! Teresa - glad you and DS had such a good visit at UT Kevin - great news on the OK to start running again Finally found a little mojo yesterday on the boardwalk - ran 6.4 miles; not a greta run, but good that I finally got off my backside and did it. It's actually pretty cool that I have the base to run that far that easily after laying off for most of a week. Looking forward to getting back on track mileage-wise this week, if it ever stops pouring, that is. Have a good week, everyone! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

wildchild

Carolyn

I finally got around to tallying up the March miles - sorry I'm kinda late with it. Here's a recap of the awards: Most miles: 1st place Dopple Bock, 492 miles, 2nd place Road Shuffler, 345 miles Fewest miles: 1st place Stumpy, 0 miles, 2nd place: Tetsujin, 29.95 miles Awesome average: 1st place Perchcreek, 165 miles, 2nd place: henrun, 157.7 miles Magnificent median: 1st place: TIE between Spareribs (147) and Jlynne (145.8), 2nd place: hopeful4ever, 143 miles To quote dg, "congratulations to everybody." The totals are posted on the March Masters Miles thread.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

teresa, I really enjoy reading about your DS's quest to find the perfect fit for college. Yeah, that cadillac edition sounds pretty nice. erika, great job on your 21 miler yesterday. I too have a long list of things to do during taper. Training for a marathon does take so much time away from homecaring. keving, great news abotu yoru running. twocat, so good to see your DW running so well. eliz, 6 miles is great. My wings are resting today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Nice work out Jlynne Holly, you might be made of iron. Them pups is too cute Mary. The dog is starting to get pushy when I change into running gear. I left his leash at FIL's yesterday, so we tried the snow covered trails again. A good deal had melted since Saturday, though there was still plenty to trudge through. Some very large, old growth trees had fallen down since Saturday as well. It sure seemed like a good deal of work and while coming into the home stretch, I thought of all the work I had to do at home.....then ran another loop. 3.08 miles.

SteveP

An hour ez, 12k. Legs were tight after the 32k LR this weekend but feeling fine. Felt really good out there. Strides and form were there...first time I could feel my running coming into focus again. Will run another ez run tomorrow with 100 meter intervals thrown inside. Will use the foam roller and some core work tonight to get rid of that soreness. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

Mary, what cute puppies! DS16 and I had a fun visit at the University of Texas. We got to talk with three amazing people: Bubba Thornton, the head track coach, who was also the Olympic track coach last summer; Lopez Lomong, the US 1500-meter runner who was also the Olympic flag-bearer; and Mack Brown, the football coach. All three were SO gracious and friendly and talked to DS as if he were very important! The Texas program is amazing, of course. Basically the athletes get ANYTHING they need. We thought the underwater treadmill with the accompaning large-screen TV was pretty cool! They also have a room FULL of Nike shoes - regular running shoes as well as training flats and racing flats. The kids who do 80 miles a week get new shoes once a month. If they don't have the right shoe size, Nike will get it to them by the next morning. Kids who go on to post-season meets get cool orange and white shoes with the UT emblem. Everyone is issued two sets of workout clothes, and a guy washes one set every night (of course that stood out to Mom). We also spoke with the weight coach who works only with the track team. He came over, took a look at DS, and said, "You must be a shotputter!" It was funny. He spent a good bit of time giving DS advice about what he can do right now to get stronger for running (lots of pull-ups, where you kick your legs at the same time, for example). We spent about an hour with the assistant coach, John Hayes, who works with the distance runners. He was very encouraging and thinks DS would do fine at UT. He also had a lot of advice, such as running lots of 50-meter sprints to work on leg turnover, and running (16) 100-meter intervals at mile pace. All year round! He said you just never know how any HS kid will do in college. Some of the best guys get discouraged when they finish 3 minutes behind another runner in an 8k race. Genetics also plays a huge role. He said it's also challenging for young guys like DS, because he could be running against guys as old as 25. He did say that DS looks young and should grow some more. We also went to the Texas Relays, which are fun because they mix up the high school and university races. We saw one tiny HS girl run the 3200-meter race in 10:12!!! That broke the meet record by 20 seconds. We saw UT win the men's 4x800 relay (wow, their uniforms were skin-tight - why wear clothes?), and a UT freshman win his very first 1600-meter race at the college level. The steeplechase races were also fun to see. DS and I went down to Town Lake and ran (separately, of course) on the beautiful Hike and Bike Trail in perfect 48-degree, sunny weather. I went 6 miles and he did 7.5 miles. Lots of people passed me; no one passed him! He had to wait for me awhile to finish. The next morning, I ran 3 HILLY miles in my parents' neighborhood - what a challenging place to run! Texas is not all flat, trust me. This morning, I did 3.6 carpy miles with my friend. I ate WAY too much BBQ and Tex-Mex food on the trip, so I have to get my act together. Thanks for reading my novel! We're certainly not putting all our eggs in one basket; it was just fun seeing such a Cadillac program!
                            We did a weekend there as Prime Rib looked at it, and our takeaway was just like yours. It's a sensational school. What is most important in schools however is fit. There are many good ones, and because of his talent and smarts, he will have the gift of so many choices. Encourage him to take his time. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to UT. Spareribs
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Ribs! That's cool your son looked at UT, also. DS has been awfully quiet since we returned - I think he's overwhelmed and exhausted at the same time. I have to keep emphasizing to him that it's OK if he DOESN'T pick this school. My dad is such a fanatical Longhorn that I have to keep the two of them separated (not too hard at such a long distance).
                              dg.

I shoulda known better than posting a pic here thinking I’d get a little sympathy for my discomfort. I show a grimace of pain and Erika thinks I’m doing Sarah Palin impressions, Jlynne thinks I’m just cruising on an easy run. Peter thinks I’m just happy about the outcome. Geez, you’re a heartless bunch. Roll eyes Wink Watch out, next time I'll post a puking picture. Don't say I didn't warn you. Tongue Nice race, CNY! Steve, maybe you’ll have a breakthrough with that five week taper system. Wow, all those long runs today. Nice!
                                am I too late?? Tramps... offering you abundant sympathy for your discomfort. (phew) I read the start of today's daily before I went to work, got there, & no internet. (Just about everything was down) So I couldn't reply. No time to read today yet. tomorrow I hope. Except I couldn't help notice the last post or two.... Mary, yay!!