Masters Running

40s / 50s / Beyond On the Run - W/E 08/22/09 (Read 375 times)

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." (Author Unknown)

Wow! Monday a.m. and no new thread for the week.  Where is everyone??

Ev - Love the new word.  However, I think your local dialect may be putting the emphasis in the wrong place.

Stumpy - Nice race.  5,000 for a 5k?!?

Joe - A nice solid run with the Bud-Meister.

I'm home, and I'm very, very tired.  Started yesterday at 7:15 a.m., and didn't finish until almost 1:00 a.m. this morning.  The previous day started at 6:30 a.m. and didn't end until around 1:00 a.m. 'cause one of my traveling buddies wouldn't go back to her own room.   As for yesterday, we have limited flights in and out of our area, therefore, we didn't land until around 11:30 p.m., which meant I didn't get home 'til after midnight, and it took awhile to wind down.  I think I finally got to sleep around 1:00. Consequently, I'm a bit of a Miss Cranky Pants this morning.  However, I'll try not to let it spill over into here.

Have a great week, everyone ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Dang had this big long post all typed up and lost it!!

So will will post short and sweet for now and more later. Lynda and I did the Chase Co Fair race, I did the 10k bout 30 sec faster than 2 wks ago on a steamy morning with less effort so maybe figuring out my drugs. The top 3 in my AG were low 40's so never saw much of them, I was prob 4th in a fast but shallow field. Lynda won a neato Ironman watch in the drawing. Running Times and the local grocery store sponsor so very good swag.

In the aft we had a suprise visitor from CO as Mtn chk stopped by our little house on the pairie on her way back home. Dessa had a big time playing with another dog person but did manage to draw blood with her sharp little puppy teeth. Hope she doesn't sue .

Will try and recreate my catch up post tonite, have a super week folks!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hi Folks,

Little bitty 2 miler with Buddyboy yesterday in the 90* heat. In that amount of running, he took 7 swims! Followed that up with a 12m bike ride to the beach and back.

Welcome home Leslie. 11:30 flights? Yuk. Sounds like a hectic schedule and you're probably glad to be home.

Nice racing Jim and Lynda! I wouldn't worry about Cindy. Enough peer pressure from us and she'll probably fold like a cheap suit! Oops, wrong word. I mean cheap dress.

Top 'O the World!

HaHa! You guys are fuuuuunny!     on the other hand....dogzilla has some mighty sharp baby teeth!  & BIG feet, long legs & Big (cute) ears....I forecast this sweet little lady will push/break 100 lbs! & is just precocious enough to make their life interesting for several years 

Hate when that happens Jim! (lost posts)...mine are usually due to unfinished, long, wordy, work being distracted by other "emergencies" in the background...need to leave website/computer gets shut down/locked up....

Leslie - I used to love those late night flights...less chaos/stress in the terminal, quiet cabins, cooler temps upon deplaning, nothing to do but get home & that being w/lighter tfc & get to bed for a few hours.....however, for some silly reason, as I get "older" the required sleep deprivation is less ummm, manageable!? in other words, I resemble the "miss cranky pants" sentiment  I recommend you take a power nap for lunch.

A 2-miler Joe? having a little withdrawal there? ah yes...you did say 90*  I'da been taking 7 swims too!

Sorry I've been largely absent here lately...and I think that trend will need to continue for a bit longer...we'll see....

Got outta here Wednesday noonish (post run) to take the kids back to NE...with little ones in the car, that equals about a 7+ hr drive by the time you let them out to run about, potty stops, retrieve snacks, etc...I then spent an extra coupla days helping them (I think it was help) cleaning up their apt, including, uprooting closets, scrubbing floors, hauling lotsa stuff to the Goodwill, chasing the kids, & chasing groceries/running other errands that are more challenging w/o a car...this was a 'seat of the pants' decision so, I didn't have enough clothing with me to get through a couple extra days....Walmart clearance rack & hand washing my running gear each day got me through...Do you suppose anybody noticed that I seemed to be wearing the same thing three mornings in a row for my runs? Specially since it was entirely hot pink & black!? And I gotta say, I renewed my respect for you folks who run in the heavy humidity!!!   UGGH!  tired from each days' activities, I didn't get out as early as I should have & suffered a slower, suckin' through a wet washcloth run! I also think I picked up a bit of a cold (Doug is still saying it's allergies from the cleaning)...just plain couldn't breathe, but I got out there anyway! Now, in the three mornings, I only saw one other runner! & when I went to the Walmart there, I noticed that they had a large section for hunting/fishing stuff, but a pretty non-existant selection of running/workout gear!  & the sizes on the racks were generally larger than @ my CO Walmarts/Targets...I had to dig to find a few pieces & I AM NOT a tiny woman!...driving around town, most of the obvious "restaurants" were the usual fair of fast food & a coupla sorta sports bars!~? Thank goodness for a grocery store & a refrigerator in my room! 

Jim & Lynda had invited Doug & I to come up & run in the Chase Co Fair 5K/10K + mention of some good concerts....tempting! very tempting....just not easily doable with everything else, but I took the invitation & stopped by to bug them for several hrs, including harassing Dessa for a bit! (bragging rights! I got to see da puppy!!) They were gracious enough to put up with my babbling & even served up a nice wheat beer! (although, they don't drink beer!?)

Nice cooler temps here past coupla days....I took Sunday off (just had three grandkids) but apparently wasn't recovered enough...my attempted 20 yesterday didn't go well at all after mile 6....just total lack of energy! After that, it became a run/walk - mostly walk & brought my overall pace down to a 14mm!! Since it was an out & back, it just became a 5 hour "migration" Mairead & I took a coupla sit down breaks & a coupla swimming, soaking the feet in the creek breaks....then took a shortcut home to bring in the outing to 18 miles (didn't I just do that #?) & to get home in time to babysit three grandkids + one nephew in law, ...but not the quality that I would've liked...sore feet, still coughing....now, I've got to get my feces integrated to get stuff around here done & be up in Buena Vista by Friday for the next week or so for the Trans Rockies Run.....the end of that is only 3 wks out to the Boulder marathon.....thinking I'll sleep for 2 days post TRR, then try one more long run before doing something of a taper....

Well, gotta go!  Lots to do!

Hope you all have a wonderful week!!!

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Cindy - Have you always been this energetic??  You must have caffeinated blood to keep up with all the things you do.  And yes - I'm jealous you got to play with the new baby pup.   I also think it's great that you and Jim and Lynda get to see each other once in awhile.  Somehow, some way, we have to all meet up at a race one of these days.  I'd even (gasp ) run a road race for the opportunity to meet all of you.

5 this a.m. with about a 9:40 av pace.  Was suppose to do 5-10 hill sprints at the end, but Mother Nature had other things in mind.  I was extremely happy I was just down the hill from my house at the end of the 5.   My legs were also very, very dead and heavy.  I think I still haven't recovered from lack of sleep due to the weekend's activities.

Funny - I bought a watch at the Columbia Outlet Store and yesterday finally figured out how to set the time.  Well, somehow I also turned on the alarm.  At midnight the dang thing went off, but it's such a quiet alarm, it took me awhile to drag myself out of my slumber and realize what was going on.  The Hub - "Are you running at midnight?!?"  Uh, no . . . sorry.  Now I need to figure out how to turn the stupid thing off.  And no, it didn't come with instructions.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Uhhh, energetic?!? how 'bout just "overloaded!!!"  &did I forget to mention that I'm in the final organizational stages of heading up for the TRR? Oh! everybody has my cell # this am   & I hafta wait for Kevin's (RD) plane to land & what not so I can ask him a whole list of ??'s before getting outta here!

btw: 5.15 hilly neighborhood miles @ 11:44 av pc this am....me & 'Raid just needed to go a bit slower!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Ok Cindy, sounds like you're slacking, lollygagging,and otherwise having way too much free time young lady! You usually have about 8,081 things going on at once,I only counted 8,080. What gives?!?

Leslie- sounds like your hub is getting used to off hours stuff.I bet if you had told him you were running at midnight,he would not have been shocked.

10 er last night. Chatted up a kid while waiting for the draw bridge and ended up running about 5m with him and had a nice chat.I must get together with some running clubs,the time goes sooo much quicker when talking with someone. He musta been in his late 20's and I felt kinda smug that he tired out and bailed while I still had 5 more to do.

10 er last night. Chatted up a kid while waiting for the draw bridge and ended up running about 5m with him and had a nice chat.I must get together with some running clubs,the time goes sooo much quicker when talking with someone. He musta been in his late 20's and I felt kinda smug that he tired out and bailed while I still had 5 more to do.

And deservedly so!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey guys/gals.....

A quick post.....Leslie....you've been a busy girl...rest up and relax if you find the opportunity.

Jim and Lynda....glad you all got a race in.  Races keep us sharp, I believe.  And they're fun!  Glad you got to visit with the mtns...

Joe....you aint missin' a lick.  Went right from work to vacation to work and still running and biking....nice going.\

Mtn.....3 days in a row?  OMG we'd never let you get away with that in OK!     Hot pink and black.....my favorite color combo....well.....not for me, but for the ladies.  Looks great, I think.  I'm glad you chose to wear the same stuff vs bagging the run because of it.  Good for you.  Glad you got to visit with the farmers.

Finally got a run in yesterday.  A nice cool 6er in about 80 something degrees.  We're getting rain and coole temps for a bit.

Later.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Holy crap!  What a freaking day it has been (and is still going here at 7:00 p.m.).  First, I got very little sleep last night.  When it was 1:30 and I was still wide awake, I knew I wouldn't be doing any kind of exercising.  Went ahead and took something to help me get at least a little bit of sleep, and finally dragged my butt out of bed at 7:30.  I tell ya, I can really feel it when I don't get my workouts in, and so far this week feels like it's been a bust since I've only worked out once in the last four days.  Doesn't bode well for my upcoming run.

I've been fretting and worrying about this move and certain persons in the office not doing their part.  Well, one of my bosses talked me down this a.m. when no one else was there.  It helped some.  I then spent the rest of the day doing the legal notices that have be filed with all the court cases for just one of the attorneys.  I think I've gone through at least two reams of paper between the letters and the notices.  Got the whole shebang copied today, and will get them mailed out tomorrow and filed.  Then I get to do the notices for the other two attorneys, but there won't be but maybe 20-30 of those, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Then I got to come home and try to clean at least a little bit since Bonkos is at my house tomorrow night.  Surface cleaning . . . well, except for the toilet in the guest bathroom.   The Hub was suppose to help me clean tonight, but guess what he brought home?!?  A whole freaking bunch of crawdads!  I love those things, but what a night to bring them home.  Right now he's watching a pot of water try to boil so he can boil them then freeze the tails.  What a pain in the a$$.  And now that I'm done surface cleaning (tried to clean up as much cat hair as possible, but that's almost impossible.  Just don't come to my house if you're allergic to cats), I'm about to tackle some transcription.

Good lord!  Reading back over this - - - I feel like Cindy!!  

Tomorrow I get to go with my buddy from the other office where I will be working to buy me a brand new office chair.  Plus, they are going to buy me the specialized ergonomic keyboard I use.  Sa-weet!

Have a good night, folks ~

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

hang in there Les.  

6er this eve.  Humid as all get out...it"s storming right now.

Oh carp....here comes the hail heck.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Good morning,

Nothing interesting in the workout dept to share  

Fall semester started up this week plus my 35 hr a week job turned into 45 hrs the last couple of weeks. My husbands back is just now getting better so lack of sleep due to his late night pacing the house hasn't helped at all. DD #1 getting home very late these nights and I can't seem to really doze off until I here her come through the door. That should subside this week as school started back up for her as well. DD #2 has permanently moved back in as of a couple of weeks ago and really, really, appreciates our house more then she ever hasSmile She started her first week of college this week. Both of them deciding to go to the community college here in town for their first 2 years until they figure out where and what they want to do. They both work part-time and hopefully just save as much money as they can for when they do move.

So that's my story, yep and I'm sticking to it.

Nice runs to you all and good luck with your new job situation Leslie I'm sure your boss really appreciates all your hard work!

Geez........now my post looks like a Cindy post too!

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

ROFLMAO!!!  You guys are tooooo funny!    luv ya anyways!  wait! do ya'll mean the crazy-busy life? or the long wordy posts???

5.14  M  perfektly cool run this am....now wrapping up to do list to get outta here for 10 days in the continental divide....(taking my running shoes) Woo-Hoo! Getting to see a bunch of familiar faces....gotta work out a coupla condo issues & one missing rental truck (mine!)   & Mairead is going with me....get to see how she feels about a tent!

will have my cell, but gonna be mostly outta cell zone in chunks

mta:  I almost forgot! One of my runners for this next week was interviewed on the local news this am (by my very talented neighbor, who happens to work for that station! ) & so, they featured, showed clips of the Trans Rockies Run!  What fun!!

jfa

Have fun Cindy! You know we're just  busting your chops!

7 mile slog yesterday morning on the trails.88* w about 180% humiditidy totally wiped me out

Been playing with my new kite (for kiteboarding) on the beach a bit. I have gotten real good at tangling up the lines. Untangling, not so good!

ROFLMAO!!!  You guys are tooooo funny!    luv ya anyways!  wait! do ya'll mean the crazy-busy life? or the long wordy posts???

Um . . . BOTH.    Have a great time, Cindy.  And photos, photos, photos!!

Joe - How many lines do you have to deal with on one of those things?

Ev - You didn't run in the hail???

Jewels - Good luck with school and the job.  Just don't forget to take care of yourself, too!

Boy, isn't it amazing how a good night's sleep and some oxygen in the lungs makes things better?  I'm actually feeling normal this a.m., although I could've slept for another 3 or 4 hours.  I'm definitely lacking in that area, and tonight will be another late night (Bonkos).  {sigh}  Oh well, we have a great time.  All women, and the rules are no men, no children, and there has to be alcohol and chocolate.  A couple of years we ended up with miniature candy bars flying around the house.  I kept finding them stuck down in couch cushions, etc., up to a couple months later.

Okay - Gotta tackle the large pile of notices.  Later!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance