Masters Running

9th April, Boomer runs, The sun is on its way. (Read 582 times)

I appreciate the responses to my race report. They help keep me going. Dave, nice couple of runs. It appears as though you are improving. bike, nice progression run. Also, good luck with the cyst surgery. tall, congrats to you and your team and to your daughter. Sarge, sorry to hear about your "innards" acting up. I hope it doesn't last long. Nice long runs for maine, PJH, and CNY (with intervals). A "good job" to all on those routine runs that make the long ones and speedwork possible. After cutting yesterday's run short, I wanted to try some sort of run. It was about 60 when I started and dropped to the mid 50s by the time I finished. There was also a pretty good wind with some gusts. I did 6 miles in about 56 minutes for a 9:21 pace. My hip seemed ok and does not felt too bad now, a few hours later. My hip is sort of funny. Even though it nags at me frequently, it's not always in the same spot. Sometimes it feels like it's in the joint and other times in some of the muscles. When it feels like it's in the muscles, it isn't always in the same location. Wiith my normal every other day schedule, it usually is gone by my next run. On the occasion that it's there, it usually goes away a few steps into the run. It's a bit of a mystery but, for the most part, I can ignore it. Thanks for the concerns. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
      I appreciate the responses to my race report. They help keep me going. TomS
      And you got more responses than did your bro, heh heh <o,> Evil grin Again, I remind you btb called me a devil [for the ice cream post] so I'm just enjoying the role. Eek! The pressure! Tweak</o,>
      Masters 2000 miles

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Boomers, 5 easy miles for me today in 49:53. After last night's NCAA women's final marking the end of the college basketball season, I decided to watch some baseball. I am real glad I did. Early season baseball games don't usually have alot of excitement to them and last night's LA Dodger-Arizona Diamondback game was no exception. Except for the pitcher of the Diamondbacks. To look at the game it would seem like just another day at the office for 32 yr old Doug Davis. He pitched his six innings and was through for the night. But this night was different. Doug Davis is going to undergo surgery tomorrow to have his cancerous thyroid removed. The doctors say he should be able to be back pitching in six weeks and that the survival rate is 97%. But when facing any kind of cancer there is always the unknown. It's hard enough to go out and pitch in the major leagues under normal conditions, I don't know how he was able to keep his focus. A truly amazing performance. I hope this story can bring some inspiration to all of us as we run and race, but especially to those who run in spite of health problems. You inspire all of us who are blessed with good health to remember what a gift we have been given, and not take it for granted. Have a great day everyone! Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

King of PhotoShop

Yes Wildchild, we did get some weather last night! Hammering rain and lightning, so today my dirt track was pretty much flooded out, so I did 4 slow on the soggy grass or the sidewalk when I had to, and just finished icing. The Saint is doing an 11-miler as I write this, with her girlfriend. I saw them out there coming toward me and I thought, "that looks like my wife and her friend but it can't be because they both have their long-sleeved tops tied around their waists. I know she would never do that!" Well, that's who it was, and they even joked about it as they flew past me. I'm really proud of the way she is training for this half. Last year I ran it along with her to give her water and stuff, but this year she's on her own. She is running way better than I am. Yes Aamos, I too and rooting for the Sox, just because they compete with the Yankees. I thought it was cool they had Buckner there to throw out the first pitch. My Rangers got killed in our home opener yesterday. Spareribs
            I sucked it up, and got up at 5:15AM today. To avoid having to do 12 on the TM tonight. It was worth it. It was 38F, and FOGGY. I also had a runner appear abruptly out of the dense fog and I think we were equally surprised. I am sure he is a regular and has never seen me out there that early. Wink I learned a few things: - a big coffee and a big banana are too much for my tummy 15 minutes before a run, at that time of day at least. - it gets light outside earlier than I expected. - there are less people out at 6 AM that I expected, this is a lazy suburb for sure. - enormous racoons do eventually turn and scamper away. - I don't even remember running 12 miles this morning, it feels like it was just a dream now - my legs are still dead, I want the sproink to come back, but I suppose the extra mileage right now is preventing that My iPOD is dead. Cry I am wondering if that is why my pace is really sucking these days. Good runs all!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I saw them out there coming toward me and I thought, "that looks like my wife and her friend but it can't be because they both have their long-sleeved tops tied around their waists. I know she would never do that!" Well, that's who it was...
              Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Amy- I had no idea you were such an instigator! Afternoon run number one was 3.7 miles. 1 more to go today!
                Henrun

Birthday run today (7.4 miles-see my reply to birthday greetings). It was foggy, but despite the cold temps-struggling to reach 50-most runners wore shorts and long sleeve T's. Ran my favorite Boston run-the Gardens, Commons, and the Charles. Despite the cold, signs of spring are everywhere-forsythia blooming and the magnolia trees are beginning to bud. Happy April everyone.
                  dg.

hi to you all, I'm enjoying reading today's thread.. I'm almost through it. was going to catch up posting tonight but I just remembered that DD will be using the PC to do her taxes. Not time for more than a few comments... (eta. looks like more than a few. sorry.) Erika in the morning. cool! have a safe trip back. are you warm? Mary, that is so exciting!! {{{ Tory }}}. Steve, I hope he's ok! Liz. I've been wondering about you too. what's going on? Tselbs, I really enjoyed your report.. I"ll mention this hear in case my intentions to reply to it fall flat. First, sincere congratulations on your 100th race. that is a huge accomplishment, especially considering when you started. You are such an encouragement to me. Also, I love the way you support your kids, & how your family runs together. glad your hip is ok, more or less. Happy Birthday Henrun! -- I missed a lot of threads. How is Marj's knee? Tweak, you're so much fun. but, enough of the ice cream for a bit. maybe some kale frenzy? Sue, thanks for the link. Twocat, glad you're progressing without incident. Dave59 & Craneium, nice to have you back. at work, gotta stop. yesterday was an unplanned rest day. I'd forgotten about rest days. every part of me said do nothing, I tried a yoga dvd & got half way through, realized every part of me wasn't kidding. then did just a little callanetics. this morning another gym trip. 3.17 miles on the track, which was fun.
                      dg thanks for the love it is much appreciated. Total of 12 miles today. Now off to a faculty meeting then riding home. Will sleep well again tonight.
                        Overcast--snow on the way, so my old lady version of the PBJ Special--8 miles in less than 64 minutes. LAte for work, must rush.... grins, A ps: ribs, 11% of Boston fans still don't forgive BIlly B Cry
                        Masters 2000 miles
                        TWEEK1

Kale? Kale! Should be eating kale for the marathon! I knew I forgot something! Eek! Must go buy Kale, get Kale recipes (or eat it raw, which is best, eek!) Yes, thanks dg, KALE! EEK! Shocked
                            My schedule said 5 but my mind wanted to do 8 so I looked at the weather on my computer and it said 48F. I put on my shorts a long sleeve shirt and ball type cap and headed out. It did't mention the arctic blast winds. I thought to myself just tough it out youll be fine once you warm up. Nope just warm enough to sweat and then I really felt the cold. Got to the 2.5 mile spot and decided my schedule must have known something I did not and turned tail back to work. So 5 miles in 49:09 anyway. I run right next to a airport when I have to run at work so no matter what direction the wind is coming it always seems to be a headwind. Oh well its in the bag now and of course I am thinking what a wooose I am. A few weeks ago this would have felt balmy. Its funny how you get spoiled in such a short period of time. Tried the Proprioceptive Training BTB has been talking about before taking off today. I kind of liked it and since I do just a little stretching after my runs and hardly any warm ups I figure it could be a good thing a few days a week. Anyway i thought I would give it a try for a week or so. The only thing is we need to come up with a new nick name for it, that is not a fun nor cute word to say or spell Wink Sounds like an answer to one of Spare ribs crossword postings Confused Craineium, I want to start riding my bike to work a few days a week also but I am kinda waiting for more daylight. I leave for work at 5:40 am and sometimes don't go home until 8:30 pm so right now its dark both ways. The morning commute scares me the most because everyone drives crazy trying to get to work on time. I need a flashing light or something I guess. Anyway you have really been getting in some workouts this week. Good job.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So, is Aamos supporting multiple personalities as part of taper madness? Shocked Inquiring minds want to know. I had only been in Boston for 6 years, so the '86 loss was not as traumatic for me as it was for the life-ling fans. I've never harbored any serious dislike for Billy B. He was out there because of the manager--doing the best he could. Kale is nice, but it's no ice cream Big grin Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Wow......Billy B. What a memory that was for those of us who followed the Red Sox in those days. If ever there was a play where you felt a jinx truly did exist, Billy's rendition of the croquet wicket might be the best example. On a lovely 65 degree afternoon, I managed a very nice 5 miles. If it were not for a lot of work needing my attention, I might have tried to make this a longer run. This Boston running time is beginning to get close for you folks. Anyone excited yet?
                                Vista