Masters Running

Monday March 11 Runs and Not-Runs (Read 34 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Seems every year it takes me a couple of days to get used to the time change, even though it is only one hour.  Anyway, I opted to go back to bed for an hour when DH left for work, so nothing for me today.

Dive in and tell us what is going on with you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - except for idiotically showing up at church an hour early, or late, never had any problems with DST that, in 1966, started out at the end of April but i had to sleep in until 7:00 am this morning to avoid getting up in the dark as is the case during that time of the year my lack of skiing anymore makes me not like so much like i used to love winter in those days.

ps - hope Jay can figure out how to make up for his lost hour, though. Want mine?

Another mild morn in the mid-40's before a predicted really bad spell of possible rane, hale, wynds and gails, drissel, maybe even thundher, lignin and sknow with frizzing kold.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Good Monday Morning!

I haven't been around to read stuff the last 3 days or so. and trying to be productive at work this week so no time right now to go back. maybe later.

I love the time change and having more daylight in the evenings. Since I'm an after work runner during the week, it's more conducive for me. But it sure was dark this morning when I've gotten used to having some daylight in the morning. On the plus side though, my "first light dog = Bella" was still sleeping until 7 a.m. and she's been getting up at 6 a.m. lately 

I got in a long trail run of 15.3 miles on Saturday, with near 3K of climb, which may explain why it was such a tough run. HR high, pace slow. I haven't been doing a lot of trails lately and I didn't eat like I should have. 2 Gu's of 100 cals each and one pack of Skratch chews that is around 150 cals. My watch said I burned 3K cals. not so sure on that with only a 15 mile run, but maybe with such a high HR, I did burn more than I would have guessed. who knows. 

This week the weather is looking good which will hopefully translate to a good running week also. Planning another long trail run but thinking I'll drive out to a flatter trail so I can just get in some nice sustained paces instead of the constant up and down with so many walk breaks. 

Tammy

Dave59

If I had a vote, I would vote to stay on standard time all year long, but it doesn't matter one hour one way or the other.

I did a kettlebell workout this morning.

In order to try and get a grip at work, I bought a Remarkable 2 tablet to take notes with. I have been using yellow legal pads to take notes but by the end of the week I am buried under paper. I'll be taking notes on one project, then I get interruptions and start a new page for each one, then there are meetings, user questions, programmer questions, etc.

When I have a minute to come up for air I go through my pile and toss what isn't needed any more, only to find out I did need something so I go dig through the trash. I have a trash can in my office that seconds as a filing system. 

Enter Remarkable 2. When I am in a meeting and I get an email or instant message with a problem, I just start a new "page".  I can add a few tags to the page for easy recall later if needed. It'll store about 100,000 pages and it synchs to the cloud so I can access the notes on an app on my phone and PC. I can even modify the notes on other devices.

I hope I adapt to it and use it regularly and it wasn't just a waste of money.

Marathon Maniac #957

If I had a vote, I would vote to stay on standard time all year long

Me, too

Tammy - I have read that a person my size only burns about 75 calories/mile, regardless of the pace.  I'm not sure that is totally accurate, but it makes sense that a taller or larger person would burn more.  3K of calories seems like a lot, though. BUT, how long you were out there, how much you climbed can all make a difference in energy spent.  Well done, BTW.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I'm 5'9" so I know burn more than 100/cals a mile on hills with climbing whereas on roads, it likely is more along the lines of 100 cals/mile.

It took me 4:07 to complete those 15.3 miles! slow going for sure. We've had so much rain lately that a lot of the trails were pretty mucky and had to walk more than I would have liked. One small loop, 2/3 of a mile, that is flat is where i usually do 2-3 laps around that loop because it helps my average time since it's very flat, but it was probably the muddiest, so only did it once.

Tammy

Thanks, Holly.   Yeah- it's roughly 100 calories a mile, but if you are efficient and/or small, it can be less.  If you are really getting your heart rate high, it can be more.

Got out mid-day after it warmed up and went over to one of the parks on the trail to start and did 6 miles.  It was 29 degrees this morning, and one of the benefits of retirement is that I did not have to go then!   I am not adjusted to the time change yet.  It's beautiful and 53 now- sunshine.

Dave- that sounds like a better system for you (the tablet).

Need to go eat and drink!  Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

I, too, did not like waking up in pitch black and decided I'd just get up and get ready for work instead of trying to get in an early workout (not sure of logic there). But I was in the office at 8, and managed to get away for 45 minutes on the elliptical before lunch.

Nice run, Tammy. I never thought about it taking more calories per mile depending on HR (or effort/trails/hills), but that does make sense (at least relative to the road). I feel like run or walk, on the flat paved surfaces I'm about 90 calories a mile no matter how long it takes to cover the mile.

Nice streak, KSA! That is a high average, too.

Anne

Marathon Maniac #957

So I'm not the only one who can run a marathon and GAIN weight?  

dnaff

Ok Anneb, where were you last week when everything I read denied a weather-free route between Union an OTC

I had morning coffee with my friends from the animal shelter.  We are all former volunteers who have decided weekly coffee is much preferable to scooping cat boxes.  This afternoon was my strength training and I already know I’ll be feeling it tomorrow.

It was plenty difficult to get out of bed this morning but I sure appreciate the extra hour to enjoy with my husband once he gets home from work.

anneb

True, it is not completely weather-free because you have to cross Madison street outside. In OTC you can walk inside (into the connecting building and then east) and down to street level (about 1 block inside - there is a CVS). And then directly in front of that, you cross Madison St and immediately go down to track level (Union station north set of tracks). That walking is about 2 blocks inside.

Of course, if you are in Union around rush hour and a train has just unloaded on the track you chose, you won't be so happy with that, but you would be dry! 

Ok Anneb, where were you last week when everything I read denied a weather-free route between Union an OTC

Anne

coastwalker

Hi Masters,

Thanks for the start, Holly.

I don't usually have a hard time adjusting to the time changes - I just had that we have to go through this useless process twice each year: Pick one - ST or DST, and stick with it.

I didn't go out this morning because the winds were howling and it was dark and I didn't like the idea of not being able to be able to see tree limbs or branches that might be falling toward my head. So I waited till I had a meeting in town this afternoon and walked there and back to get in my 5.1 miles for the day. Maybe I can get out at my regular time tomorrow.

Have a greta evening.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I don't usually have a hard time adjusting to the time changes - I just had that we have to go through this useless process twice each year: Pick one - ST or DST, and stick with it.

Jay

I agree!!!! I won't love driving to work in the pitch dark again tomorrow morning, but this changing the time twice a year is ridiculous!!

I planned on running this afternoon because I had breakfast planned with my 2 nursing school besties, but that wind was still howling so bad I opted out!! I was actually dressing to run outside when I heard a large branch or something hit the roof and that made my decision. DH checked and there isn't any damage, but it sure was loud!!!!

So, because I had an 8 mile run on my mind I turned it into 90 minutes on the Peloton - broken up by a crazy 45 min race simulator ride which was so hard, a 30 minute PZ live ride and a 15 minute low impact ride -- my legs were toast!! After a 10 minute stretching class I did a 15 minute upper body class and a 10 minute core!! Now I am showered and already in my pajamas and I'm good with it!!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

It was plenty difficult to get out of bed this morning but I sure appreciate the extra hour to enjoy with my husband once he gets home from work.

So, he gets to stay up an hour later now?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I didn't like the idea of not being able to be able to see tree limbs or branches that might be falling toward my head.

Jay - Excellent. When I heard the branch crack above me on one of the 12-hour trail runs I used to be able to do every Fall when the PNW weather is at its worst, the big 30' long branch was already right next to me on the trail and, I guess like seeing lighting seconds before hearing the associated thunder, it would have already been a widow maker of me by the time I would have otherwise heard it so, from then on, I've treated windy days like twocat does rainy ones, . . . and I'm still here.

deezie - you too good job.

ps - your simulators and workouts seem worse than my Dr. Torture's.

Dave - I saw a feed for an AI laptop that will pull up all e-mails, word processings, photos  etc. about anything you ask it to

Maybe I'll try "about me running fast."

dnaff / Anne - our sr. housing is not only between Madison and Union but there's a CVS on Madison I'm stopping in on tomorrow.

ps dnaff - no particular reason and none of my business but, as long as it's posted after 10:00 pm, it's okay

. . ..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)