Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 11.11.13 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I can't try to catch up on the weekend's posts, but it looks like there was some great racing, running and family and friends get-togethers.

Saturday morning, we had a racewalking clinic hosted by 2 nationally-ranked racewalkers. We had a diverse group show up, ranging from a 16 year-old girl who started racewalking at her HS's spring track season this year, to a 70+ man who wants to walk faster, an maybe even compete in judged races. They both did great. Erin (instructor) is encouraging the girl to go to Junior Nationals because she thinks she has the potential to go under 8-min miles. It was wonderful to see the progress Erin made with everyone, but especially with the girl, that morning.

It was raining when I left home for the half at 5:15 on Sunday, and I was muttering a few unpleasant words in the car. But it slowed and then stopped as we got everything set up at Portsmouth HS, and the clouds turned from grey to white and the sun was shining by the time the runners started at 8:30. It ultimately clouded over again, but there was (thank goodness) no more rain. It was great to see Stumpy before and after the race - he looked great both times. I'm sorry I missed MlkTruck, but I hope he had a good race. All in all, things seemed to go smoothly, and most people seemed to have a good day out there, Between entry fees and sponsorships, we raised $95,000 for our beneficiaries, and we are very excited about that aspect of the race, as well as all others. So now our race committee is flat broke again - we'll each contribute to pay for our 'wrap-up' dinner - but that's the way we like it.

SRD today because I'm still tired.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

$95,000!  Nice!

C-R

Wow Jay. Well done.

Just wanted to pop in here really quick and wish every veteran ( I know there are a few in here) a great Veteran's Day. Thanks for being there for us.

I got new shoes yesterday and can't wait for my lunch run. Seems Patrick has lit my fire again. Yippee.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just wanted to pop in here really quick and wish every veteran ( I know there are a few in here) a great Veteran's Day. Thanks for being there for us.

+1 Thank you all for your dedicated service.

Great races and pictures this past weekend. Dive is a lucky man, surrounded by two beautiful women Smile Nice picture of your son, Norm. And congrats on his lightning fast race!

Eight inches of snow? Why, we have flurries falling right now. SO NOT READY for this. I wimped out this morning and went to the Y for some cross training. 45 minutes on the elliptical, 25 minutes on the recumbent bike and 45 minutes of upper body and core work. My kids ran the Madison marathon yesterday. DS#1 cramped up badly at mile 21 and DNF, but my DIL toughed it out without him and managed a 4:20 finish. This is the woman with three kids under the age of 4 who works in an ER and doesn't get a lot of sleep or training time. She's one tough cookie.

My mother was born on Veteran's Day in 1913. Today would have been her 100th birthday. I miss her smile - and her wisdom - a lot.

Hope your week is getting off to a great start everyone.

Tramps

Jay--that's got to be a ton of work but, as Milktruck's review makes clear, you must put on a great race.

Congrats to the weekend racers, including:

• Great half from 2cat.
            • Nice NH running for Stumpy and Milktruck.
            • A dynamic duo from C-R and son.
            • And another why-do-one-race-when-you-can-do-two from Blue

And a nice array of pics yesterday, too.

Richmond forecast for tomorrow: High of 45

Richmond forecast for Saturday (race day): High of 69.  Angry

EZ 5 this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

DS#1 cramped up badly at mile 21 and DNF, but my DIL toughed it out without him and managed a 4:20 finish. This is the woman with three kids under the age of 4 who works in an ER and doesn't get a lot of sleep or training time. She's one tough cookie.

I'm guessing after that list of qualifications, a marathon is like a day off.  4 hours without the kids?  Woo Hoo. Wink

Tramps--Yes he did.  And that forecast makes me very glad I did Jay's race yesterday and not Richmond next week.

Jay--you must have had some VERY generous sponsors, because I just multiplied # of racers by entry fee and it didn't come close to that 95K.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Jay...That is an awesome accomplishment!

Maybe you could teach the RD of our Half Marathon...He hasn't quite caught on that the primary purpose is to raise money.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erin (instructor) is encouraging the girl to go to Junior Nationals because she thinks she has the potential to go under 8-min miles. 

That is some FAST racewalking!  Well done on all your hard work, Jay.

Jlynne - congrats to your tough DIL!

Another one here thanking all our veterans for their service.  I have two brothers who spent many years in the Navy - I need to send them notes today as well.

No run for me today, just 45-50 minutes of weights and core watching DWTS.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Thank you to all here who have served, and to your family and loved ones.

Nice work Jay. Our little club at the Lake puts on just two races a year and we take in about $10,000 to $15,000. It goes to City clean-up efforts, water fountains in the park, animal rescue groups, Back on My Feet (helping the homeless through running) and so on. We end with zero budget, and as you say, that's the way we like it.

16 slow miles at the lake yesterday and 4 slow recovery this morning starts my week out well.  Aiming for 45 this week. Spareribs

Mariposai

Let's take the time to honor our veterans!

What a fun weekend at the posie hut. Last night we had the pleasure of hanging out with fjordrunner and her DH. 

From left to rigth: divechief, fjordrunner, Mariposai, Enkephalin

Now off to take Enkephalin  and Dievechief for their Kermel grade induction Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

A great pic Mariposai.

Last week on FB I started a thread to talk about what makes a great pace group leader and it got a ton of responses, so I wrote a column about it. As many of you have either led a pace group or had a good or bad experience following a pacer, I thought it would be of interest here.  Any comments?

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/11/what-makes-a-great-pace-leader.html/

Spareribs

Thank you to all who served and serve.

Such great photos here the past few days---lots of happy smiles and friendship. And Holly, do buy that race photo---stunning!

Loved the happy kid grin C-R and nice racing for you two. Where's Tammy these days? Her David always looks great in his race photos too.

The photo of Annabelle and her happy family was my favorite!

Big props to coastwalker on another successful race. You and Lamerunner are to be commended for running and supporting two wonderful New Hampshire races---high quality, doesn't break the bank with the entry fee and a focus on the runners. Well done.

Interesting article Ribs. The best pacers for me are the ones who aren't over the top enthusiastic as to be hyper and are firmly encouraging. My best experiences are when there's a pacer duo working together so there is always at least one person who is focused on the group and the other one on the logistics and timing.  Did you get any responses from those who have paced runners in ultra-distances? That seems like a very different focus and expertise than the pace leader for a road race.

Lots of xc racing in the CNYrunner household this past weekend. The kiddo's teammates ran in the Wester mass xc championships and both boys and girls teams qualified for the State meet on 11/16---so happy for them and what an exciting day we had at Northfield Mountain (I am still hoarse). Then on Sunday, I laced up my spikes and ran with my teammates on the Western Ma Distance Project at the USATF New England xc championships. Our masters team won the race (a 6k) and also won the xc Grand Prix series. The open ladies team placed 6th behind teams with pro. runners and the men's team finished third. It was a great day for xc. The race also marked the end of the fall racing season for me---I am tired! I had such fun racing in the USATF road and xc grand prix series and finished up 4th in the road series and 3rd in the xc series in the masters category. I'll be in a new age group for many of the races in the next cycle, so this was extra fun.

Now the miles will be mellower and I'll start thinking about the race plans for 2014 sometime after Thanksgiving. roar!

Today's run was a nice 4 miler with Hudson. Cool and sunny, snow on the way tonight.

C-R

Hey - did anyone tell DiveChief to turn off his Tricoder before the pic.  Big grin

That's some great racing Karin. Props to the kids. My first year as a XC parent and they are a blast to watch. nd I wish our Indiana Section USATF would put on as many races as you guys do. And we have the HQ in Indy too.

Nice blog Ribs. I've only used a pace group twice and both times I left with about 3 miles to go in a HM. I enjoyed the pacer and the conversation. How do you volunteer to do something like that?

Props to your DIL Jlynne. She is tough.

I usually don't do shoe commercials but I just had my first run in my New Balance Minimus MR20s and they felt like I've worn them all my life. Wow and they are on sale at Joe's NB Outlet. They are minimals so may not work for everyone but wow.

Ok one last pic from yesterday that I found while scrolling through my phone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Now off to take Enkephalin  and Dievechief for their Kermel grade induction Wink

Dave!!! - do NOT let the goddesses lull you into going on a run up killer hill with them.  Tell mari you don’t have a garden or something in your beautiful Puget Sound view condo and you’d like to get back to the earth and pull up beets from her garden or something.  If that fails, take your camera and tell ‘em you’d like to run with them but need to take some pictures so it can be compared to some of the other famed goddess hills, e.g. Equinox, Signal Hill, White River, Heartbreak, thousand steps, Rocky Mountains, etc.

ps - and thanks to the parents with military sons and daughters.

I'm glad we call older runners <<<(that would be me)>>> masters now instead of changing the meaning of Veteran too much

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

lamerunner

Good afternoon! Congratulations Jay on a successful race, and you are entitled to be tired. Nice job on the fund raising also.  I am still paying the bills for MCM, then have to send out the tax forms and write the prize checks. We do wait out the USATF  30 day protest period, plus it usually takes a while to get forms back.and allows me to take a breath or two.  We usually finalize contributions in January.

Congrats also to all the racers. Nice XC race for you, Karin-- and I think you finished just in front of a friend of mine running for the "Hot Flashes," a women's 50+ team from GDTC. I would like to join just for the name. Not sure I have the leg speed any more for shorter XC races though!

6.5 easy miles for me.  Legs are a bit tired, but the Y is not open today, so I will defer my rest/swim day to tomorrow.

Nice day here with talk of snow tonight. DD  managed to rock climb Saturday and ski Sunday-- Arapahoe Basin is now open, on limited terrain, but I am sure it was nice to get out.  Her location has some advantages!