Masters Running

Mondaily, 8.14.23 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

KSA, I'm on a Mac, and my mouse doesn't have a 'right click' option. I can't find a way on FB to 'copy image' so I can't post my photos. So it goes...

Good job of taking it easy on your 4.2 miler, KSA. Please DON"T send that deer up this way - we already have way too many!

Nice 41 mile ride, Tramps, and great photos. Sorry Tribee is nursing a sore shoulder.

Good job of getting up in time for the Puzzle Master, Tet, and for getting back to the lakeside.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Twocat - keep that up.

You too, Dave, but don't overdo it with your favorite - yard work.

I'm glad you've had a great time, and put in a lot of walking miles in DC, Holly.

Thanks for the great photos, Enke. I'm sorry about the challenges on your hike, but am glad you got it done. Seems like a good call to postpone your next hike with MBE in favor of something less strenuous, and less likely to have you way into the woods if there is another wasp sting.

Nice work at the Bobby Doyle, Deeze, including the clam shack stop after the race.

Good 16.4 miler, Tammy. Congrats to you and DH on the C4 award.

Nice 11 mile run and 10 mile ride, Sub7. I hope the BBQ was tasty and fun.

Good 7.2 on the dirt, Wildchild.

Good trifecta, Jlynne: run, stretching, and golf. I hope you feel better, and that it's not Covid.

Good job of having some productive time and some nap time, dnaff. Sounds like good balance.

I'm glad that you, DW, and Dunkin got out for a couple of miles, Steve. It's OK to leave your phone home sometimes.

DW and a friend were out walking yesterday afternoon, and I was doing some yard work when we heard some thunder. The walkers came back early, and I finished up my work, and then the skies opened and we had a very intense rain for about 10-15 minutes. We were all glad to be inside by then.

I woke up early this morning, and so was out a little early for my workout. I'm registered for a 10K this coming Thursday evening, so I wanted to test my damstring this morning to see if it'll feel like racing. After a few miles, it said 'no' to any racing this week, and I backed off for the rest of the workout - bummer. I did 5.76 miles in relatively dry 64° temps with a sliver of moon behind some clouds to the east. Then 35 minute of moderate stretching and core work. Today is day 365 of my current streak, and it also marks 1 year since my recovery from a couple of days in bed with Covid.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

bioguy

jJay- on a Mac you can hit control and click the item or two finger click on a trackpad.

Thanks for the start, Jay, and congratulations on your streak- especially since you do it all outside!

Enke- probably a good call, but I know it's disappointing.

I beat the rain this morning for 4.3 miles.  My legs are still tired from the Saturday 14 miles.  Got through it.

Need to get the dog out before the rain- which IS coming.  Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler and nicer.

Steve- glad you got to do a new path.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Streaker Jay - happy first anniversary of this one

and many more to come (of this one, that is).

ps - good call on the race. 10K too long to risk.

Steve - sorry, your runs don't count w/o pics.

Rain, Rain, go away as summer days not only continues to get better and better since the last real rain on June 20 with up to 90F this afternoon following yesterday's 84F but it was already up to 68F at j-o'clock this morning for the first warm, and headlampy, morning circuit of the year. Actually, even though, in my better days, with lots of hydrating once with a running coach friend who wanted to test his hydration theories when it got up to 106 in one of our summer marathons but didn't do enough and got heatstroke, 84F was a little too hot for the lakeside wade-walking along the beach I like so I'll go over around 11:00 am before it gets up to the eighties in the afternoon.

ps enke - all MBE's extra miles for you'd make him a saint except he seems to be at the stage I once enjoyed where the more, harder and longer the exercise the better.  Actually, since it was for you, he's probably a saint after all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Well the virtual doc was right, three days later and I have tested negative for COVID!

Running related:

As you may recall Sifan Hassan won London after an unusual training cycle and then running the race, well, differently! It was also her first marathon.  This is old news, but she planning to run the Chicago marathon. I listened to a podcast from a couple of months ago with her coach that I found really interesting. Here is a link if you want to hear it: https://www.badboyrunningpodcast.com/1614244/12796906-ep-468-london-marathon-winner-at-the-first-attempt-tim-rowberry-coach-to-sifan-hassan. It might be called how NOT to train for a marathon and then win it!

Unrelated to running:

Dave59 have you tried using ChatGPT for writing code? I am trying to figure out if there is a particularly good way to ask it questions. My batting average right now is not as high as I would like.

There is a website called www.eatingwell.com.that will send you periodic recipes that are generally pretty good, not junk loaded, and easy to make. Here is one that I have not tried but looks promising, https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7964984/teriyaki-chicken-rice-bowl/?hid=5b1da17d4509a8af0dc47da879c4eccd93337a93&did=9821904-20230814&lctg=5b1da17d4509a8af0dc47da879c4eccd93337a93.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker good 5.76 miler but please do not beat the damstring til it is good and ready. We both know how that story goes...

Karen, good on you beating the rain for 4.3 miles.

tets, from your lips "rain, rain go away..." I have mushrooms in my front lawn!

68 F 90% humidity, what a great way to start a run... at 8:00 AM with a beaming sun. I headed out for a 5.5 miler after yesterday's session and ran reasonably well. DW and I may head out for a bike ride before it gets insane. Have a greight Monday all!

Good run, sub7. Bad conditions!  Twocat- glad you are negative already!

enkephalin I have been meaning to say how impressed I am with your solo camping trips! That takes a lot of planning and organization. Drag about the wasp, but dealing with such (and their potential) is among the reasons I am impressed. Regarding a book, I find real books to be quite heavy after a time. My solution was an eReader. I have been quite happy with my Kobo. Plus your library never runs out!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

anneb

Hello masters, I enjoyed the pictures I saw posted over in the weekend threads. Keep them coming!

It sounds like there may be more COVID spreading around... still haven't come across any in my real life recently so I'll keep it that way if I can!

Cloudy/stormy Monday, and I woke up to an (automated) message that my internet at the office was out. Luckily, most work remote on Mondays still but that took about 4 hours to resolve (mostly of just annoyance, not like I had to do anything except make a few phone calls).

I was out early-ish for about 3 walk/run miles.

Now to try and get some work done (GB speed internet is more productive than hotspotting off of my phone...)

Anne

dnaff

Good streaking Jay!

KSA, I did not make it out on my dog walk before the rain hit.  Hope you did.

Today’s workout was 30 min of yoga and then some side planks.  My PT likes me to lift the top leg 30 times in a 30 second plank.  Really works the glute-med which in turn helps my IT band.

...howdy......

out of action

for a couple of days

7 1/2 hours in the car Saturday..........including 2-hours just sitting in the car waiting for a severe storm to pass

Sunday

bagged it due to 3-hours of restless sleep night before

(not sure how Jay does it)

today

....30-min StairClimber......

so Back at it.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay, we are FB friends, so if you want me to copy any photos from there to here, I am happy to help.

Okay, today was our capitol tour.  I had contacted my congressman (Mike Turner) to try for white house tours, but they were not available, but we got a private tour of the Capitol with one of his interns, which was very cool.  I didn't take many pics inside because I don't think it would really show the awesomeness of it, but it was super cool.

May be an image of 2 people

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm glad you got to see so much, Holly!  Love the pictures!

Dave59

I tried to work today but quit after a couple hours. I didn't think sitting at my desk would be difficult but I guess "thinking" takes more energy than I thought. I should be good to go tomorrow unless I regress.

Twocat - I work with one guy who loves using CharGPT for things like Excel macros, and I have heard about some of the code it can create, but my work is so specialized that I haven't figured out a way to use it myself. I work on a highly customized claim system and I spend most of my time in analysis & design of requested changes.

BTY

Good evening Masters.  I had a very nice swim workout tonight.  I recognized the guy swimming in the lane next to me and I asked him if I knew him from the fitness center I worked out at before coming to the Y.  Turns out he also swims in US Masters meets and that was where I recognized him from.  In fact we swam in the same heat of a race at the Empire State Senior Games this past June, the 100 yard freestyle.  He's making good steady improvement and I won't be surprised if he beats me if we swim in the same race again, from the looks of his swimming tonight.   My workout was 2,450 yards, a Moderate effort workout.  The main set was 10 x 50 yard freestyle, on 1:00.  Swim 40 seconds, rest 20 seconds.  I had no trouble keeping the reps at 40 seconds or faster, but I was glad I didn't have to go beyond 10 repeats.

Prior to swimming I did a short strength workout.  Using the cables, I did 2 sets of both Internal and External Shoulder rotation, which are probably thought of more as physical therapy moments, but I think they're great for swimming and just great exercises, period.   Also did two sets of both Hip Adduction and Hip Abduction - we used to call them the Wishbone exercises when I worked at a gym.

My first meet of the fall season, if I'm able to attend it (it conflicts with my daughter's due date - our first grandchild!), is in about 7 weeks.  I really should be picking out events (strokes and distances) and beginning a regimen in the pool to focus on those, but there's nothing posted on the Internet yet, and unlike running events, one never knows what events will be offered until one sees the registration page.

Have a great night, Masters!  Oh, and that's great about the 1-year streak, Jay!