Masters Running

40's / 50's / Beyond on the Run (W/E 8/15) (Read 355 times)

I have a dog of Blenheim birth, With fine long ears and full of mirth; And sometimes, running o'er the plain, He tumbles on his nose: But quickly jumping up again, Like lightning on he goes! (John Ruskin)

Just kicking off a new week and waiting to read of your adventures!

Progress Trumps Pefection

Carol - Thanks for starting the thread.  I posted on the wrong one!  Glad the hub is feeling better.

So, I have something to tell you guys, and I figure the more people I tell, then I'll have to follow through.  If I do good at Desert High in December and then another 50k in February . . . . . well, I'm signing up for the American River 50 Mile Endurance Run (AR50).  It's something I've been thinking about for awhile now, and my coach really thinks I can do it.  The AR50 would be a good one to try for the first time because the first approximately 26 miles are flat.  I really want to give this a try, so keep your fingers crossed that I stay healthy. . . . . . . Now I just have to tell The Hub . . . . . .

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good Monday morning to everyone....

Thanks for moving us along into another week Carol......great bike rides and swims for you!

Leslie, going the longer distance is no suprise. After a couple more 50k's you'll be ready for that 50 miler. You can do it and I know you'll do fine. We are all here to support you.Oh, and about the telling more people and following through with it is a great idea. I think that is some good advice for myself. I need to aim at something and go for it.

Had a wonderful day on the river yesterday with our friends. They just bought a boat and wanted to take it out for a test run before taking it to the Keys with them. We rented a 3/2 oceanfront house in the Keys for Labor Day weekend. We are staying in Cudjoe Key which is just about 15 miles down to Key West. Making it a long weekend as we will leave Thursday and come back on Monday. I can't wait.......

Have a great week.........

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Hiya Folks,

Carol-Thanks for starting us out and a nice quote too.Good going on your biking and I agree with those who said you belong on the street. Sidewalks just are not big enough.

Leslie-wow! a 50 miler eh? That's a big time run there my friend.I have no doubt that you will be up to the task if you set your mind to it.

Jewels- the Keys sound very nice indeed. I hear the color of the water is remarkable.

Hello to the rest of the gang!

Very sluggish returning to work and the real world today.It's soooo relaxing up in New England compared to around here.Come to think of it,anywhere is less stressful than our very crowded State.Had some real nice runs on some real hilly roads up there. People actually went out of their way to steer clear of me on the roads! The weather was perfect too. Warm enough for swimming( though the ocean was very cool) but quite cool at night.Yesterday woke up to 49* !!

Have a fine Monday!

Morning Peeps -

Rest day for me, and after all the activity over the weekend, it felt good to (try) to sleep in.  Dang cats.   They just don't understand why I don't get up at 4:30 every day . . . .

Well, it was morning when I started this, now it's the noon hour.

Jewels - Your upcoming trip sounds like a lot of fun.

Joe - Welcome back to the Real World.  Kinda sucks in a way, doesn't it?

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Good Eeevning

Thanks for starting us off Carol....so, what's new in your life?

Western States qualifier hmmm, Leslie?  movin on up in the world!

Labor Day wknd in the Keys! Too cool Jewels! it's definitely on our short list to explore more....

I thought Joe was getting a sailboat for touring down South??  ...an stuff

I got in an 18 miler this am...well, sorta....the wheels came off a bit towards the end...tired after yesterday's hilly 10 & the family reunion - 2 hrs away, & a not-so-good night's sleep....ah well, it was better than last weekend's.  Doug got in 22 - at the same time, but he wandered off a different direction, then misconnected, so he got 4 extra miles wandering around looking for me before we hooked up & finished together!  

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Joe - Welcome back to the Real World.  Kinda sucks in a way, doesn't it?

Not just one way, it sucks in a lot of ways actually!

Impressive long runs Cindy, and Doug too. Any marathons on the horizon?

9 miles tonight @ 9:40 in 90* temps. Day after the day after a hard hilly run, not much in the tank.

Way to go Cindy and Doug!

And Western States - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha {snort, choke} ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - oh my!  That's a good one!   . . . . . . . . . although . . . . . . . . nah, not me.  My friend, Kate, who I crewed for last August at her first 100-miler, she's putting her name in the hat for WS.  And I WILL be there as a crew person for her, that's for dang sure!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey guys/gals,

Carol....took a peek at your weekly schedule....nice well rounded xtraining week for you.   Keep it up.

Leslie....AR50....now that's expanding.  That's what I like about you.  You seem to always be pushing the envelope bit by bit. 

Jewels...Labor day weekend sounds nice.  Enjoy!

Joe....I'm glad to hear how relaxing your vacation was.  Recharging the batteries on occasion is very necessary.  Nice.  Keep that relaxed mental state as you get back to your more routine schedule.

and Mtn....an 18miler right after a hilly 10...and Doug with a 22??  Very nice indeed.

I was going to take a rest day yesterday, but mrsday said she wanted to go for a walk.  As we drove over to our usual spot we could see storm clouds brewing and it suddenly got very gusty.  We were gonna do 6 but it started raining (Joe is like...."So?") and lightning so we called it a day after the first 3 mile loop.  Nice cool rain for about 1mile.

Arla...  Arla are you there?  Over (kkshk).  Come in Arla...over (kkshk).

Ultra...we know your out there.  Speak to us, Ultra.

Jim.....I see you guys are still getting storms up your way....hope they were of the gentle variety and no hail or damaging winds. 

Hey Woods...

Salty....are you still around? 

Where's srlopez?

anyone else out there that we haven't heard from in awhile?

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Hey Leslie, sounds like a good goal for you!  I looked at the website, and I see what you mean about mostly flat, but the end looks like a cruel twist!  Maybe you can talk the hub into crewing for you. 

Jewels, how goes the new job?  Already planning your first vacation eh???  Sounds like a nice get-a-way.   Join us over in the cross training thread if you're so inclined.  Nice motivation/accountability. 

Joe, I guess going back to work is sort of like the first couple of miles of a long run....gotta shake the kinks out and get into a rythm.  Glad you liked the quote...reminded me of some of our dogs, and us Smile.  Yes, I mostly try to avoid conflict on the bike, but legally, I believe I'm entitled to be on the road. My bike needs a tune up, so I think I'm going to consult the local bike shop owner about the issue when I take it in.

Cindy, you're amazing....an 18 miler!  Can't remember, do you have a marathon coming off, or just doin'  that for fun?

Ev, nice extra workout for you and Mrsday.  Do you have to drive to all of your runs, or can you also head out from home?  Just curious. 

Howdy to everyone else....Ev is right...we need to hear from you. 

I'm doing lotsa different stuff right now....swimming, biking, lifting, running, walking.  Yesterday was 12 miles biking, today was 2.75 miles running + 1.4 walking.  I'm following a modified intermediate sprint tri training program + a 0 to 1650 swim program.  Getting ready for this:  http://www.monstertriathlon.com/one/     I'm a little worried that there's not enough running since I also want to do a few races in the fall, so may have to tweak it a bit more.  But overall, my body is really liking it.  The biking and swimming keep me cooler for the summer, and I don't have that "beat up" feeling that more running often gives me.  My endocrinologist discovered that I'm vitamin D deficient (huh??, I get more sun now than ever), so getting that in better shape may help with the fatigue factor as well. 

Gotta get to work to keep the dogs in kibble and vet care.  Later! 

jfa

Yah Leslie- come on, what's another 50miles? Peanuts for you!

Hey Ev- the rain sure doesn't bother me any more but the lightning can be a real show-stopper. I suppose I don't have to remind you ,but are you ready for some football?!

Nice going Carol on your workouts! Way to mix it up! Your Halloween Tri looks like a lot of fun! A bike tune-up is well worth the money.Also, do you ride with a helmet?It's a must in our frantic State. You could get one of those geeky(but very effective) side view mirrors, which save you from looking back all the time.

Getting back to the swing of things at work after the initial shock of returning.

Yep, Joe, I always wear a helmet.  Kinda crazy here in suburbia!  That mirror thingie is a good idea.  I'm OK w/ geeky, and it would help me see if the cops are chasin' me again.   Speaking of geeky looking....I even have a swim cap and goggles now, but I don't wear those on the bike too much Wink!

Morning, Compadres -

Carol - That tri looks like fun, and you'll do great.  Question though - - - how do you swim in a costume?   And with regard to biking with your swim cap and goggles on - I dare ya!

Ev - Ah, come on!  Live dangerously.  Run in the lightening!

Joe - Hang in there with the return to work.

Everyone else - HI!!!  {waving madly}

Due to two nights of crappy sleeping and cat who seemed to think my pillow belonged to him (I know - kick him out of the bedroom.  I can't.  I'm such a sucker . . . but I digress), I didn't get up early enough to get in my cardio, but I did do an hour of core and upper body strengthening.  . . . then I was late for work 'cause I got sucked into watching the town hall meeting on Fox News w/Senator Arlen Specter.  Without meaning to start any kind of politic debate, I will just say that I am finding all this fascinating and extremely frustrating.

Went to our slowly dying mall last night to try and find a couple of sundresses for this weekend's activities in Palm Springs.  May I just say that our . . . mall . . . sucks.  The only large dept store we have left is Sears, and the only other stores that even try to accommodate adults are Ross and Christopher and Banks.  Everything else is geared toward teenagers.  The former is almost always a nightmare, and the later has mostly fall/winter clothes already.  Ugh!  Kohl's is coming soon, and I feel like a participant in that old Mervyn's commercial: "Open!  Open!  Open!" 

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

a quick drop in before departing for a few days vacation.  we're taking advantage of DD being in LA for UCLA orientation to go to the family place in Maine.  she really doesn't like going and we never feel quite safe leaving her for a whole weekend.  But then we're ready to send her across the country for months at a time.  go figure

I'll be leaving to drive to a corporate 5K down in NH on Thursday.  I know I'm still not up to doing a decent time, but it still should be fun.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy....of course....sorry I forgot you in my earlier post.  Shame on me.  Enjoy your Maine vacation and good luck on the 5K.    Bring me back a lobster!
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM