Masters Running

Sunday 11-12-17 Where's Jay today? (Read 41 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You'd think he's busy or something.  Hope everything goes smoothly.

Sneaking for what I HOPE is a pre-run posting.  It's practically balmy this morning at 28, so I hope I don't overheat--packed for teens, not this heat wave.

Happy Sunday runs to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks for getting us started.  Hope it all goes well, Jay.

3.3 miles- gloomy and 51.  Legs aren't sore from the race but are very tired.  Got it done.   12 1/2 miles upon the pace bunny. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

we're in portsmouth nh and saw some of Jay's runners go by.  the runners looked happy - cold, but no wind.

we ran about 3 on the race route which was also Henrun's running route from years ago, so I heard the stories from long ago.  of course yesterday, he heard stories from my old neighbors in providence, so turn around is fair.

happy runs,

marj

Trying to post a picture, but it's not working.

Quickadder

Ran the local state park trails this morning. Back into the mid 60s and humid. Legs were a little tired after yesterday’s race but I finished with 9 miles at average pace of 10:08. Was on my own today as DD was running a HM in Houston.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

TammyinGP

Hi All,

just have a few minutes before all the family shows up for brunch. Made sticky cinnamon rolls, a couple egg/meat/cheese dishes, fruit and lemon bars for later - with the lemons I got from my lemon tree/bush this year. 

Dogs, and by dogs I mean Bailey and Bella, not Annie, slept out in their kennel last night.All was fine til about 4 a.m. when they start howling like how they do when they hear sirens off in the distance. So, DH got up to go out there and tell them to be quiet and go back in the dog house, except what they were hearing were a couple foxes (our best guess) that were howling for about an hour. Never could see them but they were close. Such an odd sound too - it would start out sounding like maybe a strange howl from a young coyote, then would sound like something out of the amazon - a cross between a large tropical bird and monkeys up in the trees. Seriously, the strangest sound we've ever heard. We are guessing it was a couple foxes because if you've ever pulled up some sound bytes from sounds foxes make, some are really really odd. 

No soreness from yesterday's race, so might get in a short run this afternoon.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

It's practically balmy this morning at 28,

Kevin - you and I apparently have WAY different ideas of balmy.......

Tammy - Hope your dogs are not stinky too long...

33 degrees when I set out this morning, but shortly into my run I realized I was over-dressed and stopped back home to exchange a jacket for a couple of LS tech shirts with a SS tech shirt over that.  16.45 miles outside, then stopped home, ate a banana, and ran 1.55 miles more on the TM to get 18 miles total.

Here's the relive from my outdoor part.  https://www.relive.cc/view/g15515021701

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, about 30 degrees when I got up so a short sleeve and long sleeve tech shirt, some shorts with some "built in" compression, calf sleeves.  Typically the day after a marathon I go as far and as fast as my body allows.  Could have gone further, but had some things to do back at the apartment.  Managed 5.16 at a 9:30 pace.  Not too bad at all (usually around 4 miles or so in the upper 9's/lower 10's).  After the run, I did some work at the computer (I leave very early tomorrow for a conference in California).  Then changed to join a couple of guys for an easy "coffee" bike ride.  I went just under 20 miles and we rode between 14 and 15 mph (have to check Strava).  Need to get back to packing then get ready for Mass.

Congratulations to all the racers!

Have a great evening everyone!

PS:  War Eagle!  I thought we might beat Georgia....but not like that.

spacityrunner

Got my trail fix today on Hot Springs Mountain.  6 miles.  14 m/m  71f, hotter than I like for sure.  Then a quick stop at our local cinnamon roll place for pumpkin cookie, 2 scoops of ice cream (salted caramel and chocolate) and hot chocolate.  Brought home some goodies.  I sure do live the good life here!

There are some dang speedy runners amongst us.  Nice racing this weekend.  And with an opportunity to meet tramps..what a bonus!

Hope Jay survived the race....

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

7 for me to shake out the race from my legs

Marathon training starts tomorrow.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

metalmancpa

Busy day today. First took 4.5 hours to clean the yard, after waking up really late for me (9:30AM). It was Sunday, and I felt the need to stay in bed. Then ran 10 miles, 8:32/mile pace. It feels really good to call a 10-mile run a long run again. For most of the year that mileage was on the fringe of my daily run mileage since my focus was on the marathon. Now, even though I have no race plans, my training is HM focused.Then I ran an errand that encompassed over 100 miles of driving and 2.5 hours. Now getting ready to watch the Patriots/Broncos (Go Pats!!!).

Wow, cannot believe how many of the gang were off at a race this weekend! Congratulations to all of you. For better or worse I bailed on running a local HM. Not, coastwalker's so I do not feel guilty. After (almost) getting over this cold I am not in race shape. Instead I thought I would try to do something about that and run 5x1000m intervals at the track. I did it, but not without some drama with my Garmin. I hit stop instead of lap and it never recorded my first interval.  Then I just killed the whole training session, told it to start over and did what it thought were four intervals. My log is a total and inaccurate mess from today!

Yesterday, was more of a cooking day than anything else. I saw some long beef ribs (think beef short ribs about 3 times the length) and bought a pair of racks. Yesterday I smoked them. Awsome! For some reason it is hard to get the long as opposed to short ribs in my area. The ribs were part of a dinner that included a really good delicata squash salad. (If I do say so myself! ) Easy to make. Take a delicata squash. Cut off the ends. Clean out the seeds. Cut into 1/2" slices (half moons). Mix in a bowl with some olive oil, salt, pepper, honey and brown sugar. Not too much of the sweet stuff! Roast at 400 for 10 minutes. Flip. Roast for another 10. If you have a hot oven you may need to turn down the temperature. You do not want the honey and sugar to burn. But you do want the squash to cook and get a nice caramelization. Serve with burrata, pomegranate seeds and some arugula. Hard to go wrong! The other item of note about the dinner is that our guest was a former student of mine and we have been friends for a few years now. He came over as part of my "I am not going to die from tongue cancer in the immediate future" celebration series. So post dinner we had one of the better bourbons I keep for special occasions. My DW wants nothing to do with my calling the couple of gatherings my not going to die right away . . . celebrations what I call them. But I think it is pretty funny and it is my party so I can call it what I want to call it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

5.5 this evening to round my week at 30. 23 of those miles were in the last 48 hours.

Great Fall weather here, mid 60's and calm. The Bay looked so flat that it made me wish I'd taken my kayak out today.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

That meal sounds fabulous, twocat.    And- that first interval does not count if it isn’t correctly on your Garmin!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I did make it out this morning. 3.9 miles of a lot hillier route than I've gotten used to.  Didn't overheat, most likely because I didn't go very fast.

I made shrimp and grits for DW after her long day of selling her beading work.  It's an Allrecipes that I've used before and it's really good.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.