Masters Running

Baystate Marathon RR (Read 356 times)

Congrats on a tough race. No worries on the result you were just not mentally committed to this one . Physically I am sure you were. Good luck in  Philly with better weather .

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

tough tough conditions....great racing!  Congrats!

It's 26.2      .2  

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      Tramps

What did yo think of the course---the bridge?

Honestly, I don't remember much about the visuals.  I usually tune out surroundings regardless, but even more so this time.  My glasses were full of water droplets from the start, so I couldn't see that well.  Then when the rain let loose, you really couldn't see anything.  I was focused on the ground watching out for holes hidden by the water puddles.  That was something I learned after I almost did a face plant when I tripped on some broken pavement hidden under a puddle of water.  Some guy next to me said calmly, "Nice save," which made me laugh.  

Having said all that, I do remember thinking on the backside that parts of this would be pretty if it wasn't a damn Nor'Easter! 

Generally flat course, so that was nice.  Just some long gradual inclines--you are following a river after all and a couple of bridge bumps.  The bouncy bridge was weird though.  It felt like it was bouncing back up at me so my feet were hitting the ground sooner than I expected.  Kind of an odd feeling in a funhouse sort of way. 

I liked that there were so few turns. You can really zone out and just run.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

I wanted to add also Tramps.....nice racing in very DREADFUL conditions. I can't imagine running a Marathon like that, but you did....you are a tough runner. I imagine your bonk may have been a little more mental than physical, with you having a pre-set plan before the race. I think 3:30 is VERY doable for you in Philly. Great job, and continued success to you. -------TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

A very nice report, Tramps.  You will do fine in Philly.  That Lowell weather was awful.
            RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nice one, Tramps!  I am happy for you and I believe this sets you up nicely for Philly!  We ran that in 2005... you were there, right?  Or maybe that was somewhere else?  Anyway, I liked the Philly course, it was fun.  I remember it being just a wee bit chilly but, sunny.  I hope you have IRC.

Recover and run.  A little RnR.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow Tramps - nice job in much less than desirable running conditions!     Sorry that 1/10th of a mile messed you up like that!  Smile

You'll do great in Philly.

Sorry you didn't get to meet Denise!     I had the same problem hooking up with Dg in Detroit last year.   My biggst regret!  Sad

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps... that fits in nicely as one of those long Tramps MP training runs!  You'll do great in Philly!  I think that slowdown was mental.  It's funny how when you back off from and effort, like cresting a hill, your body says, "OK we're done" and wants to slow down alot.

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I liked that there were so few turns. You can really zone out and just drink heavily.

That might be why you slowed up a bit.

Seriously, I think you'll hit sub-3:30 in Philly...you're in fine shape, and paced yourself well in difficult conditions.

Just where did you keep the banana once you started the race?

Walt

Mariposai

I think this fitness test showed you how READY you are for Philly.

Way to stay focussed with your plan. I normally toss my plans to the wind by mile 8. Smile

I will have to try your 1.1 miler trick on the garmin.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded.  

It's always fun to read your kind comments.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - thanks for that tip about setting the Garmin to 1.01 miles/lap.  Hopefully that will help me keep on track better.  Do you always have it set there, or just for races?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Tramps, I'm just so impressed with this!!   And a 'B' race.   Wow.  

I also want to know how you carried your banana. 

and your gloves... were they dry inside somehow?   or did they just help anyway?  

It takes such a lot of focus to run long in the rain like that...  since I'm so good at falling I'm always looking for rough spots, and in the rain, that gets exhausting.   

So excited to see how Philly goes for you!!   

Great job!!! 

Tramps

I forgot to reply to Walt's (and now dg's) banana question.  Actually, I'm not sure if it was serious or not but...Race Ready shorts have a wide pocket in the back (great for gloves too).  I peel the banana in advance, break it into two pieces, and put each piece in a separate small "snack" ziplock bag (1/2 the size of a sandwich bag).  Wonderful!  Even if it gets a little bruised, the ziplock serves as a wrapper; no mess, and it's nice and moist.

Holly, I just leave my Garmin on the 1.01 setting all the time.

dg--gloves were soaked in and out, but they were a windbreaker, which helped.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

I hate to use the phrase "character builder" but I do know that running a decent race in difficult conditions builds confidence, so good for you to persevere and run so well.  I think you can do 8's at Philly. 

(I don't want to take away from your fine effort with more of my rants about people who use Garmins in marathons, but you do know that your difficulty is easily cured by simply wearing a lap counter watch.)

Congrats for this race.  I am so eager to see you nail the A race.  Over the last 4 years your running has improved remarkably and I am very happy for you.  Spareribs