Masters Running

Friday August 5 (Read 34 times)

lamerunner

Good morning!

Since I actually did run this morning, I guess I can start us off.  After several days of not running, I ventured out this morning for about 6, mostly on trails in my new favorite area in Stowe. My knee was ok, a little sore afterward.  I had thought about running last night but I knew I could not do both last night and this morning, so I drove to a rail trail in Jeffersonville ( other side of Smuggler's Notch from Stowe) and did about a five mile brisk walk instead. I guess with enough rest days and biking, swimming etc, perhaps I can limp  along for the next few weeks until my appointment and run at least a little bit.

Alas, I do pretty much know what is wrong... no cartilage remains in my left knee.  A stabilizing brace keeps my patella tracking properly, mostly, and keeps pain to a minimum, but the brace is worn out.  I think the issue now is the same, but certainly there may be more going on. I try to be thankful for any day I can get out, but the whole business is frustrating.

Big family party at my DH's family lake house tomorrow, which should be fun if a bit overwhelming. Our neice and nephew and their kids are staying there, so we have to stay elsewhere.  We get to see DS too; he has been filling in as a camp counselor the last couple of weeks.

Happy running and healing to all!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Lame.  Sorry to hear of the ongoing knee woes.  DW just got word that she is a condidate for knee replacements for the same reason.  We also have the same problem with overfilled camps.  About a dozen of DW's relatives have occupied all the available space at both camp and island.  We get to stay about 20 miles away at the most reasonalbe spot we could find for the middle of summer in Vacationland.

And I get to leave from NJ this afternoon, land in Boston, and head north.  Where I end up depends on flights, other folks bedtimes, and many other factors.

for those that wondered, here's a shot of the new shutters in place.  Ended up with one new and one old on each window.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm also sorry about your knee problems, Lamerunner, but I'm glad that you can at least get some running (as well as walking, swimming, and biking) in. If the family party promises to be overwhelming this weekend, you might be better off staying elsewhere so you can get a little downtime if it gets too intense.

Gorgeous job on the shutters, Stumpy! Maybe close up you can tell the difference between the old and new, but not in the photo. Nice.

Tonight, we're gong out to dinner with a friend and his wife. He is the founder and Global Clinical Director of a dental screening program for Special Olympics. We helped him at the first-ever screenings at the Mass. State Games in the '90s, and we helped him grow it to a national program. He has since taken it world-wide, and it is the cornerstone of the Healthy Athletes program of Special Olympics. It'll be an interesting dinner.

Tomorrow, we're heading up to Freeport, ME for a free LL Bean free concert with Lyle Lovett and his Large Band. Of course, it won't be 'free' because we're staying at a B&B overnight tomorrow night. The concert is outdoors and it is lawn seating, so we've got to get there sometime in the morning to grab some grass by setting up our folding chairs. Apparently everything is on the honor system, so we'll just leave our chairs and go have some fun around Freeport till the concert starts at 7pm.

I slept late (again!) this morning. I didn't want to have to do another hard workout to ensure that I'd be back on time, so I stayed in and did some reading instead. I'll try to get out tomorrow, if I wake up early enough...

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

HIya, quick G'day to you all and Happy Friday as well.

Just 5 for me this am.  Spent about 2 hours last night hanging around outside getting bug bites and amusing my neighbors.  Simon decided he wanted to experience the big outdoors.  He ended up in a copse of trees not far from our place, but was seemingly quite delighted with himself.  So I stood outside and "talked" with him as I didn't want him to get lost or decide to fly farther away.  Here's an example of our call and response:

Simon:   "Good boy!"

me: "You are a good boy.  Come home now, Simon."

Simon: "Hola!"

me: "Hola Simon.  Aren't you hungry for your yummy bits?  Come home sweetie!"

Simon: "Peek-a-bird!"

me: "Come home so we can play peek-a-bird, Simon."

Simon: "I'm fine."

etc. etc. etc.

He finally came down and let me bring him home; I think he learned his food foraging skills do not extend beyond looking for his "yummy bits" in his food bowl or showing an interest in what the humans are eating.  It was more hunger than love, in other words.....but he's home.

And that was enough excitement for my weekend.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We take what we can get from our pets, Amy.  And if you can't tell the difference......................

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

rats, only time to do two of three things on today's agenda of fishing with GS,

swimming with GS or running by myself.  hmmmm.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

How did the swim go, tet?

..How'd the Fishing go tet??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

We take what we can get from our pets, Amy.  And if you can't tell the difference......................

Amy - it probably wasn't funny at the time, but the visual gives me a chuckle.

I actually got outside for a run today!  Okay, there were a lot of walk breaks, but my knee seems okay - a little tender but not much.  Iced after.  I just feel completely out of shape, but oh well.

I was surprised to see that during my running hiatus they have built a restroom facility down by the river where I run.  Unfortunately the doors will likely be locked in the early morning hours when I run.  And now that they have that they will likely take away the portopottie that is usually there.  Hmmm.

I never take my phone with me on a run, but since I had two Pokémon eggs incubating, and needed to walk or run 5k to get them to hatch, I took it along, and stopped to catch a few stray Pokémon here and there. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - I don't get the whole Pokeman thing but glad that you had fun.

Amy - What a hoot about Simon getting out, is that the first (and last?) time

Lamerunner - at least the pain in your knee is "at a minimum".  Hopefully just another brace will make a difference.

Stumpy - Nice shutters, they turned out great!  Are those loons on them?  I am glad that I only have to travel 5 minutes to get to work no hopping on planes for me!

CW - have fun at the "free" concert.

tet - sorry you won't get to run today, have fun fishing and swimming though!

Last night was one of the worst ever since MrStarr has been suffering with anxiety.  He talked a long time to try to convince me that 1) we would be bankrupt in a year and 2) that he is not sick.  Finally he called his brother to come over to convince ME that he is right and I am wrong. I think he has decided to trust me now but it's day by day.  We went to a therapy session today and that went quite well.

I got up early to get my morning run around the lake.  I was slower than normal, but was thankful that the bathroom at the park was open!  Here are some photos I took at the stop.  It made the run worthwhile to see the sunrise.

Have a good weekend everyone.  DD  called this morning and has a bat in the apartment where she is living (owned by us) so we have to hire a bat-proofing company to solve the problem.  I suppose we will have a house guest tonight???

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Starr--I am so sorry you're having to deal with so much crap.  Hang in there!

Those are very nice shutters, stumpy--nice job!

I went 2 miles tonight...everything seemed okay for about 1.8 miles...then...something was just not quite right.  I'll take off tomorrow and see how it feels on Sunday.

Okay--Olympics are coming on soon--gotta go--se ya!

Happy belated birthday MikeE!! 🎂🎂

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr--I am so sorry you're having to deal with so much crap.  Hang in there!

+1

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."