Masters Running

Another 10K...Another Disappointment (Read 267 times)

DickyG

Son of a b*&ch! He beat me again! This is as bad as I've ever felt..after so many of you have posted fabulous race reports, I feel like I let everyone down..I just can't beat my arch rival, even though he is wanted in 3 states for various crimes. This was the closest I've ever come...I stayed with him the whole race but I just couldn't catch him...he finished 3 places in front of me and beat me by about 20-30 seconds, I think. The race was run in a pouring rain but it was a comfortable temp..maybe high 50's or low 60's. Believe it or not, the turnout was the largest we've ever had...go figure. Since I don't really keep up with my mile splits and all that, here are the numbers, which all add up to another miserable loss. Time: 48:43 (7:52) Overall place: 57th out of 197 Age group (65-death): 1st out of 9 He-who-shall-remain-nameless was about in the middle of the pack in the 50-54 age group. I actually improved from last year by about 30 seconds while my rival...and just about everyone else...were off their last year's time. I also ran the entire race without walking which is somewhat of a minor miracle for me. While I have your attention, a word about my good friend Harry Fisher. Harry and I are the only two to run all 27 of these races...Harry is now 75 and can only manage about 12-13 minute miles. But he's the godfather of running around here. In the 70's when we had lots of runners, Harry organized many of the workouts and runs. He also found out which nearby communities were having races and he organized the carpools and got everyone entry forms. In 1976, Harry made arrangements for 9 of us to go up to D.C. and run the first ever Marine Corps Marathon and the next year he got 14 of us to run the Peachtree with Frank Shorter & Bill Rodgers. Even at his age, he still helps the high school cross country coach out...free of charge. It's a tradition here that after the rest of us old timers finish, we all walk down the course a little and when Harry enters the final 1/4 mile or so, all of us run it with him. I'm hoping he can run for 75 more years. As the Brooklyn Dodgers always used to say "wait 'til next year."
      First in AG....that's awesome! 30 second improvement over last year....that's great! Running all 27 of these races.....that's actually pretty incredible! "Son of a b*&ch! He beat me again!"......that's the creative tension right there and will keep you coming back. Great competiveness! Nice work DickyG BTW...I saw Javon Jackson and Les McCann in St. Louis last week.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Son of a b*&ch! He beat me again! This is as bad as I've ever felt..after so many of you have posted fabulous race reports, I feel like I let everyone down..I just can't beat my arch rival, even though he is wanted in 3 states for various crimes.
        Hey there DickyG - congratulations on your AG win anyways, although I know that wasn't what you really cared about it still deserves recognition. Now get me your arch rivals info and I'll see about getting his butt tossed in the clink! Wink

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks DG. you've got two choices: 1. get Harry to retire 2. come up here where your time would win our ag in every 10K I've ever run. oh, forget it, you're already a hero ps - did you both have an MCM streak too?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Dicky.. do we need to get Tonya Harding to meet your arch rival next year? If others were doing worse than last year and you improved by 30 secs then you REALLY improved! Harry Fisher sounds like an icon in your area.. that's a great story! Even you you missed goal #1.. congratulations on being the fastest 65-death Big grin Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

1st in AG? 30 second improvement? This sounds like a pretty good result to me. But maybe you'll catch that guy next year and the result will be even better. Thanks for the report.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I am with WRFB on this one! 1st in your AG and you knocked 30 seconds off your time from last year! All that and you are not dancing a jig?! Confused I would be delirious with your results! Be happy. Big grin Be very happy! Big grin Big grin Maybe even very, very happy! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

I just can't beat my arch rival, even though he is wanted in 3 states for various crimes.
                  First, a word of advice: most states have some sort of "drop-a-dime" program. A strategically placed call next year might solve your problem. Second, so this guy's more than 10 years younger than you? Can't you pick on someone your own age? Thirid, great running...and in the pouring rain! Yuck. Congrats on the 1st AG! Fourth, I love stories like Harry Fischer's. Those folks are awesome, as are you.

Be safe. Be kind.

You are a funny guy!! That was awesome to shave 30 seconds off, come first AG and run that kind of time! Big grin Maybe you should pick on someone your own age next time. Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

DG..... How can you think you let us down??? WTG. I know it's not what you wanted, but like has already been said several times (which would be because it is true) 1st in AG, 30 sec. improvement, & this rival dude is still wet behind the ears. Oh brother. You're so encouraging to everybody else, take a turn on yourself. Smile I think you did great & that 48:43 is a great time.
                        Hey Dicky are you kidding me? 48 minute 10K, 1st in age group & you're disappointed Roll eyes Turn in your rival on those warrants, the FBI will come get him since he crossed statelines to avoid arrest Big grin & we'll see how he can do with leg shackles on Wink I have a theory that watching NASCAR & playing softball have made the right turns to difficult for you & probably cost you several seconds for every right turn. Clowning around All 27 years of a race that is a great record in itself, keep it going... Cool

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Renee the dog

Drat! I was hoping that yesterday was your day to bring that arch-rival down! BUT, you won your age group man! I have yet to place in my age group, so in my book you're hot stuff!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

So your wet-behind-the-ears rival dude didn't even place in his AG! Middle of the pack! Hah - I think you showed him up, not the other way around. 1st in AG is awesome, and being one of two to run this race for 27 years in a row makes you a real hero. I love how you old farts run Harry in at the end of his race. I bet that brings a tear to his eye.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

DickyG, there's sure a lot of stuff you can be proud of here as others have pointed out. That was a speedy 10K as evidenced by your time, your big improvement over last year, and your AG win. That 27 year streak and joining others to run Harry in are especially great. Keep up the good work and congratulations. TomS
                              nowor

DickyG, Your Arch Rival did a good job of pacing you to a PR and AG award. Well done! Loved the Harry Fisher stuff.