Masters Running

Tuesday 2/15 Daily (Read 469 times)

Dave59

Not sure she ever fully understood my running, but was supportive of it anyway. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you today.  My mother was the same with the running.  It's one of the great things about parents.

Dave59

I think the smackdown is pretty cool - hopefully you guys will be in fine form the night before Big grin The local newspaper reported that both the half and full are officially closed. A little room in the "run for charity" category.

I sure hope it works out that I will be in the area at the right time.  I'd tell my daughter not to screw-up the interview, but she is already at the point where I don't think she is going to sleep at all the night before the interview.  Wink

evanflein

Oh Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Sounds like she was well loved by many, and she sure raised a good son. Hugs to you and your family.

JLynne, when I had the sciatica issues, that was my orders too. Couldn't even start PT for a week or 10 days. I did walk though, had to do something with all that energy. And the prednisone makes you feel pretty darn good so I also raked the whole lawn and cleaned out all the bathroom cabinets. Probably not the best idea, but hey... Hope you get better soon. Those nerve issues are nothing to mess around with so take care.

Holly, when I do the outdoor/indoor thing, I have to strip down almost completely. Down to the running bra and add some shorts, change shoes (outdoor shoes don't go on the 'mill) and get going. Our garage is in the upper 50's/low 60's most of the time, and my hands might get cold but I always sweat up a bunch.

Nice to see winejunky around these parts. I hate to see KR dwindle down so much, but there are some who will apparently stay there no matter what. I get over there every now and then, but not nearly as much as I used to.

Gym workout at lunch, run after work. I hope my treadmill is ok. It started making a rumble-rattle type noise, but it seems to be in the rear roller area, not up in the motor. Time to call the treadmill doc, I guess. At least it's supposed to warm up today. It's about -30° now, but up to the minus-teens today, and above zero tomorrow. Yay!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Dave59...Green Bay is right. That would be cool if things worked out with your DD. It'd be great to meet you.  Despite what Mary says...I really doubt the residents of Green Bay will find anything impressive with the Timbo Slo Hand smackdown other than the exorbitant amount of time Timbo finishes after me. Wink

Not much to report...a run last night. Great weather !

Way to gloss over your run last night Slo, but compared to mine, I suppose I wouldn't have said much either Joking

Tempo runs are a good barometer of where I'm at in a training cycle. I get to start cashing all of those checks I wrote with all the long runs - track / speed and hill work. I haven’t felt this good in years…and I believe it’s all attributed to how big of a base I have, and I'm NOT going to fall into the running slow rut again, and now I will start honing in on what my true MP really is. For me, tempo runs are not so much about how fast I can run…it’s about how I feel holding a sustained pace over the full distance - 26.2 miles!

Slo....you talk about beating me the last 3 miles. Well dude........you my Friend better worry about even making it that far, if you're still planning to run off my right shoulder for 23 miles (you don't get embarrassed walking the last miles of a Mary, do you?) 

Smile

Just Sayin' 

T

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

C-R

Stumpy - I'm sorry for your loss and we will keep you in our prayers. I watched the nurses take my father into surgery this morning and read this just after I left the pre-op area. We think of our parents as indestructable and life has a way of giving us a reminder of just how fragile we all are. So give your parents, kids and loved one's a hug and tell them you love them. ou can never get enough hugs.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #3309

Kevin, I already responded at FB, but again, I am sorry for your loss !

Speaking of sciatica Erika, mine is hurting more now than it did a week or so ago.  It feels like someone is sticking a HUGE needle in my upper butt area (I can't even explain how much it hurts) But, I can still run pain free...............I have a hard time understanding that one. But I can't stop running at this point, but I don't think running caused it anyway....that's what my Doc said. I need to call and get some more Prednisone and pain meds (hate that)

And yikes, I don't want this to be some 6 weeks ordeal, like you mentioned to me

T

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

(((((((Stumpy)))))))  I'm so sorry for your loss.

No running for me today.  I have a gym at work (complete with spin bikes, TMs, ellipticals, weights etc) which I use almost daily, at least as a base for my weekday runs.  This morning was a 45 min core/abs/hips/quads/hamstrings/glutes workout before work, just to keep everything strong and balanced.

Have a fantastic day everyone!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks, C-R (and of course,everyone else who was so kind).  Maybe not exactly what you want to read about under those circumstances.  Hope it's nothing serious and good thoughts for positive results and a speedy recovery.

Exactly what we've been thinking.  Never completely enough of that, but we were pretty good about keeping up with her, so at least not too much guilt there.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{C-R}}}  I hope your dad's surgery goes well for him.

Heme - what a nice gym to have at work - very kewl!

Erika - my garage is usually pretty cold in the mornings, partly because DH has opened the door and let even more cold air in while he warms up his car, but I do find that I tend to strip down more after I've been on the TM a bit.  I was just telling DH that I need to get a thermometer for the garage, so I know how to dress the first time, rather than having to modify my wardrobe mid-run.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jlynne

Speaking of sciatica Erika, mine is hurting more now than it did a week or so ago.  It feels like someone is sticking a HUGE needle in my upper butt area (I can't even explain how much it hurts) But, I can still run pain free...............I have a hard time understanding that one. But I can't stop running at this point, but I don't think running caused it anyway....that's what my Doc said. I need to call and get some more Prednisone and pain meds (hate that)

Tim - pardon my post, but ARE YOU FLIPPIN' CRAZY?!!! Do you know what kind of damage you could end up doing? You could end up with permanent nerve problems. Or - worse - this could affect your running gait and you could screw up your legs, your feet, your ....... The doctor told me that prednisone and/or pain meds are a TEMPORARY solution, and they shouldn't be used on a regular basis as a fix for pain. Your body is trying to tell you something is wrong. Please - don't mess around with this.

Slo

Thanks, C-R (and of course,everyone else who was so kind).  Maybe not exactly what you want to read about under those circumstances.  Hope it's nothing serious and good thoughts for positive results and a speedy recovery.

Exactly what we've been thinking.  Never completely enough of that, but we were pretty good about keeping up with her, so at least not too much guilt there.

Stumpy

When I lost my Dad last summer I was very hesitant about posting anything here. This is such a lively and positive forum, I didn't want to be the downer. I'm glad I did though. I'm glad you did too. There's a little healing in that post you made and in the ones you read. If your like me you'll find yourself going back in a day or two and re-reading those responses.

Jlynne...Don't sweat it. Thats easy for me to say. That damn sciatica...I've seen it bring the toughest to thier knees. A week off now isn't bad...look what you overcame for the Twin Cities. Here's to a swift healing !

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne... Here's to a swift healing !

Yes, what Slo said......a little time off now may save you lots later....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Stumpy - Your mom sounds like she had a real zest for life - something well worth celebrating.  Hugs and love to you and your family during this difficult time.

JLynne - Evil  Be a good girl.  You'll be more than happy you obeyed doc's orders.  And, we'll come and getcha with the duct tape if you don't. Evil

Tramps - The washer's not worth repairing.  We bought it and the dryer 10+ yars ago for $100.  An older lady who died had purchased them about 2 years before and barely used them - maybe 2x a month.  They were basically brand new.  We most definitely got our money's worth out of them.  Luckily, a locally-owned appliance store and Sears are having sales in the next few days.  Will do some research and take advantage of one of those situations.

4 miles in wind and rain this a.m.  I was soaked by the time I got home.  Hard to run the first and last mile EZ when the weather's pounding you that way.  I was happy, however, that I didn't have to do 10 miles this a.m.  Just one more reason why I love The Taper!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

{{{Kevin}}}

{{{Norm}}}

{{{Jeanne}}}

{{{Tim}}}

And anyone elese who needs comfort.

Losing a parent is tough, no matter how.  My mom died of a stroke a number of years ago.  She was living in her own house and still driving.  I expected she would go on for a real long time - eating healthy, exercising (long walks), etc.  But she was an old Vermonter, and never wanted to be a burden to anyone.  She probably left us the way she wanted - no one ever had to give her care.

Mary - sounds like your dogs just wanted to do a little neighborhood romancing on valentine's day.  It was a pretty bright moon around here last night. 

PBJ Jr. has a scout meeting tonight, then there is a scout spaghetti dinner tomorow night that we will be working, and Thursday is a scout leader meeting for me.  This scouting thing is pretty time consuming.  Almost as much as running.

Speaking of  running, went 5 miles on the tm this morning, then took a spin class.  Flourescent sweat everywhere. 

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim - pardon my post, but ARE YOU FLIPPIN' CRAZY?!!! Do you know what kind of damage you could end up doing? You could end up with permanent nerve problems. Or - worse - this could affect your running gait and you could screw up your legs, your feet, your ....... The doctor told me that prednisone and/or pain meds are a TEMPORARY solution, and they shouldn't be used on a regular basis as a fix for pain. Your body is trying to tell you something is wrong. Please - don't mess around with this.

My doctor is a very serious runner and my best freind. He told me I could run, since it doesn't hurt when I run....I assume I can trust him. Now he did say, if it was affecting my running, that would be a different story altogether.

And yes.........I'm Flippin crazy, everyone here knows that  Smile

T