Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 7.14.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just a quick walk-by to say DW and I are having a great time on Prince Edward Island. We're in the northeast, which is pretty rural with an amazing amount of farmland. We've been relaxing and touring - visiting some amazing craft studios, and enjoying outstanding meals at some terrific local restaurants. The people here, without exception, and very friendly and engaging. This will not be out last visit to PEI. We leave this beautiful place tomorrow and head to Castine, ME (about as big as a thumbnail) for the next week.

I've been heading out for my workouts the last 3 days at about 5AM - half an hour before sunrise, but with enough light to go by. I've been sticking to 1 long road that has great water and farm field views. There are no shoulders, but there is also little/no traffic at that hour, and you can hear the cars when they are 3/4 of a mile away, so there is plenty of time to cross to the other side of the road if need be. Today I saw 1 car, 1 woman on a bike, cows sleeping in a pasture, and a fox crossing the road. 7.3 RW miles in 57° with a slight breeze coming off the water of St. Peter's Bay.

Have a greta Friday, and carry on.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sounds wonderful, Jay, and thanks for dropping by!  Enjoy the rest of the trip.

3.1 miles-  I'm normally a summer person, but geez......

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Where's the little "jealous as all get out" emoticon when you need it?  Sound perfect to me!

No running this morning, as we had a compnay outing to the local AA baseball game (Fisher Cats, for those who may care) and got in a bit late.  Loads of fun--we had a private box and a patio, along with a lot of food.  looks like i might have some cooler ME weather to run in over the weekend at least.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - nice vacation update.

most definitely jealous as all get out.

Running sine shoulders'll prepare you for the longest (90km) section of the 1,400km Japan 88-shrine pilgrimage I hiked last year along freeways and byways I had mistakenly envisioned being along the gentle forested trails in the old woodblocks I liked. Also the 1.5 mile crossing of Lake Washington now replete with cars, trucks, and semi's speeding by about two feet away due to construction on the new light rail extensions.

I lost my wallet. Please wire me $1,000!

Now over eight years ago, shortly after I had some e-mails with the RD of an ultra of interest in California, I got an e-mail from him that he'd lost his wallet while vacationing in France and could I wire a quick $1,000.  Being but a 1% or less acquaintance, I ignored it, especially when I knew he was RD'ing the race in California at the time and couldn't be in France.  Now, someone has hacked into my business e-mail to send out, somewhat randomly it seems, the same kind of request.  It might have worked if it'd indicated I was in Japan or the Far East but, either way, caused me to make some e-mail changes, . . .  all of which is to say I hope I get it straightened out in time to post a 36-yo Bastille Day t-shirt I found during the weekend's t-shirt purging that came from a 1981 Bastille Day race when I happened to be in the other Washington on 7/14.

In the meantime, happy birthday to the trail twins

every Bastille Day, especially, if any photos

of their running can be posted

by them or others.

<<<(mariposie/wildchild)>>>

Yes, Doug, you will love Alaska! Just be warned that if Erika invites you for supper they will feed you around 9pm or so 😉. It was a great meal, good conversation and a very fun evening.

Starr - I think you got invited to the early dinner up there

instead of the sunset edition, . . .  around-or-after midnight!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

In the meantime, happy birthday to the trail twins

every Bastille Day, especially, if any photos

of their running can be posted

by them or others.

<<<(mariposie/wildchild)>>>

Beat me to it, Tet.  Happy, happy day to Nancy and Carolyn.  Especially with a new AG for the Wildchild!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Happy birthday to Carolyn and Nancy!  New AG, too. Woo hoo!

Also...

Did I ever mention that my family was from France?  A distant relative I've never met is a genealogist in Quebec and he posted the family genealogy online. It appears that the first person to come to North America with my surname--and my distant ancestor--was born in 1644 in Veules-les-Roses, a tiny fishing village in the Normandy region of France . The church where he was baptized dates to the 1400s and is still there! I'm part of the 11th generation in North America, 3rd in the US.  Now you know.

Not big on spandex but need the padding for the bike.

+1

Dave—that’s a resilient laptop.  Nice.

Hally sighting! Hi!  I want to feel a little more confident before I tackle group rides. I’d hate to cause a pile-up!

Holly—Glad the vacation’s going well.

Mike—Don’t you get a “letter” for participation?

Jay—that sounds nice; enjoy!  That area’s one I’ve always wanted to explore.  Everyone who goes has great things to say about it.

My Garmin thinks I’ve had a monster breakthrough in my running, since I routinely do sub-4 miles now. I don’t have the heart to tell it about the bike.

Got to ride along with some bounding deer today.  That was cool.  Instead of dashing into the woods, they keep following the newly-mowed strip along the side of the road.  We were going side-by-side at the same pace for a good 15 seconds before they turned.

Just under 22 miles today. I changed my route to include some significant hills so I could practice small-ring gear changing. Feel the burn!  I’ll need it; we’re off to the Allegheny mountains next week to hike, bike, and escape the heat a bit.  It’s smack in the middle of the National Radio Quiet Zone, so I’m offline next week. You can pause the Spandex jokes. You won’t have Mr. Fancy Pants to kick around anymore.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

...tet//.....would you mind sending back that $1000 check I mailed you??

(I thought

the Nigerian Address for you was sort of fishy)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hi friends!!

sounds like a beautiful vacation Jay!! I have been on vacation and in Maine for so long, I am hoping I remember how to do my job Tuesday!! That 4:45am wake up is going to be painful!! I think I have slept in until 8am every day except 1!!

Last night I went to a clinic and mini tri with the Kennebunk Beach tri club. One of the guys in the campground joined and I decided to do the same. They were a very welcoming group, had a very informative clinic on transitions and then a very casual mini tri. So awesome!!

Now I have a Garmin issue - my 920xt screen froze when I put it on the charger last night. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't even get it to power down.

denise

Tramps

Now I have a Garmin issue - my 920xt screen froze when I put it on the charger last night. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't even get it to power down.

Reset?  Or other advice on that page.

Be safe. Be kind.

Thank you Tramps!! I guess I wasn't holding that button down long enough for it to power off. It's working now and fully charged!!

denise

TammyinGP

sounds like a wonderful vacation Jay!

Happy Birthday Carolyn and Nancy! 

This Sunday is my husbands (63rd!) birthday. So, tonight we are heading out on the Hellgate JetBoat dinner excursion. We do this every summer. It's an overpriced but fun outing - speeding down the Rogue River, usually have some eagle sightings, lots of osprey sighting, nice family style dinner at their exclusive dinner resort, free beer/wine, and lots of spins and getting drenched on the ride back - which always is welcome when it's mid 90's out! Plus, the views are pretty magnificent as well.  Sunday we'll have a birthday dinner with my parents to celebrate as well. 

Haven't run much this week - I think just 3 miles on Monday evening. But going to run about 13 tomorrow with a friend who is marathon training and I'll do a few more trail miles Sunday morning with the dogs, so will still get in close to 18-20 mile mpw that I always shoot for, but rarely attain.  Next week should be a decent mileage week though since I leave for MN on Wednesday and should really have no reason not to be able to run most mornings. Not sure where I'll run to, but we're in a small rural town, so even just country dirt roads are all around.

Tammy

catwhoorg

Labrat

Rest day today

RACE tomorrow Smile

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

...Happy B'Day to the...........er........B'DAY GIRLS.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y944YxuE1OU

==========

mid 90s here

40-min RC at Soccer Fields

thunder started when I got home

apparently

SoccerField Work-Outs are allowed

......................Wishing you Good Running........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Happy birthday ladies.

Nice sounding trip Jay.

Now that's an old shirt tet. Wow. My DW makes me clean my shirt stash every five years or so.

Ran 4 @ MAF for lunch. Man its hard to keep down the HR in the heat. Ugh but its good for me to actually recover I guess.

Have a great one.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

pfriese

Almost 40 miles on the bike this morning... I miss running.   But I'm still thankful that I can bike while the PF is resolving.

Paul

Mta: Tramps, I ride a 12 year old Specialized Roubiax. Great bike.