Masters Running

Happy Easter runs (Read 431 times)

Hi all no run for me today.  I will  lift before work tonight.   did my longest run since August yesterday 8.5 miles, not very fast but the legs and lungs are coming back.  I think it might be possible to run the 1/2 in late June.  Everyone have blessed day
    SteveP

Thanks for getting us goin Derrick. There's a nice half in Ludington in June. It has road miles. A few trail miles. Some sand dune running and lakeshore miles. Mostly flat.

Tag and I made our Easter rounds. The furthest house is 13 miles away, but we put 100 miles on the truck delivering stuff. I'd toss some of the plastic eggs....and Tag would bring them back. Ugh. One place, we had to go back too and clean up Tag's ......um...surprise gift... Double Ugh.

We're looking forward to a good run after church.

SteveP

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Easter!

Thanks for starting us off Derrik - nice 8.5 yesterday - just like me!  Big grin

Tag!  Enjoy the day you two - you are already off to a good start.

3.5 miles for me this morning - nice bright sunny morning, but a bit cool at 38°.   After 3 days of the 80's it feels darn cold!    I wore capris though and managed some negative splits - 10:54 / 10:41 / 10:36 / 5:10 -  for 10:40 pace / 156 avg. HR.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning all.

12 miles at 9:36/mi overall, last two miles were 8:29 and 8:39.  It's a beautiful beautiful day here.  After various chores, we're having a non-traditional Easter dinner of grilled chicken, potato salad, fruit salad and the newly kegged IPA.   The weather is just too summery for anything else.

Nice, SteveP (and Tag)!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Tramps

Lou—Nice tempo run yesterday.

Mari—I saw that shorts comment!   So sorry the run was a tough one but, like you said, it’s good mental training.

Nice run, Erika.  Hope today’s goes as well.

PDR—I don’t know about the other stuff, but the alcohol is certainly a very traditional component of Easter—at least the pagan Spring fertility festival versions!

22 miles @ 8:24.  68F by the time I finished (so I was hot) but I got most of the miles without shade done early on.  I planned ahead and worked in some good hills from 16-18 and then hoped to hit MP pace for the remaining 4 miles but I wasn’t quite able to do that.  My legs were feeling tender and I didn’t want to risk any stupid injury.  I followed with a 1.3 mile untimed jog/walk cool down.  This caps a 76-mile week for me, a mileage PR!  It won’t make up for the low mileage weeks earlier this cycle, but it’s a nice way to go into taper mode.

Have a great day!

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Easter (and Passover, too (I think?))

5.1 in just over 52 minutes on a sort of random tour of our town.  That's part of the fun of the Garmin--add some variety and still get the data that I crave.  I would have to say that it was IRC--about 53º, a light breeze and sunny.  I went out with shorts and singlet and it was perfect.  Not EXACTLY speedy, but the random route included more of what passes for hills around here than I thought.  Probably a lot of people thought I was under dressed as most of the walkers and some of the runners were still in sweatshirts and other wintry looking gear.

Good work, Easter pooch and helper.

ETA:  it's fun being around Boston this time of year--I crossed paths with a guy in full fuel belt and and said "Last long run?" and he knew just what i meant.  So I wished him good luck. 

I doubt that I will ever actually participate, but it sure does make marathon week a LOT more fun when I know so many people that have worked so hard to be able to run it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Easter!!

Derrick – nice  to see you coming back!

Mariposai – like Erika said, if YOU are complaining, I know it was a VERY TOUGH run!

Tramps – congratulations on your PR week!

Oh, the mysteries of running…

Today I set out to do 10-12 miles (in deference to the overeat possibilities at Easter dinner later), but at a recovery pace.  I knew that yesterday’s slogging 17-miler with 5 miles at MP would have left my legs tired and stiff.

I was wrong.

Inexplicably, my legs felt FRESH today, sproinky and energetic.  I kept waiting for them to tire, but it didn’t really happen.  I felt light on my feet, chugging along with what seemed like very little effort for most of the run.  What is up with that?

I pondered the possible reasons for the difference between today and yesterday:

Temperature?  (today was in the 40’s and yesterday in the 60’s)

Fueling? (last night’s dinner at Bonefish Grill with a half bottle of wine.  I’m beginning to think wine may be a secret weapon carb-loading fuel.)

S-caps?  (Yesterday I took 3, today none)

The joy in my heart from the celebration of the day?

I have no idea.  But I do know that, as I ran along, watching the mist swirling up from the river and the brilliant morning sun slanting across the sparkling, dew-covered grass, I felt glorious!  I haven’t had that feeling running in a long time.

16 easy-paced miles for me today, ave pace 10:12.  With yesterday’s 17-miler, that makes a record 33-mile weekend for me. 

And the craziest thing?  If I hadn't run out of time I would have kept on going – I felt like I still had some left in the tank, and could easily have done several more miles.

Go figure.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

YAY Holly!!!  More mystery than science.....with a splash of wine thrown in.

If anyone hasn't read Chirstopher McDougall's Born to Run they should.  Even my DH, not a runner, read the book and loved it, it is very exciting.  Anyway, the Mexican Taramahara (not sure I'm spelling that right) would get downright shitfaced the evening before their 50 mile race, and still complete it.

Looking like IRC here today and will be going out shortly.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

WOW!  Holly a 33 mile weekend is amazing!!!

Thanks to Steve & Tag for making the world a little nicer

Tramps congrats on the record week

10 miles w/DW at 10:00 pace

Have a Joyful Day!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Happy Easter !!

Plenty of running around Green Lake in Seattle yesterday, taking it  easy for a few days now and looking forward to meeting a few RA Masters in Boston!!!

Francesca  

Lots of great runs today, esp. Tramps, PDR and Holly. I had a good one too...16.2 hilly miles, 8:57's. Felt fantastic. It was in the mid-forties when I started, and warmed into the upper fifties.

Good to see so many in good spirits.

Walt

Holly, we told you it would be like that. Nice to hear about your outing, Steve. And good distances for PDR and Tramps. You have a nice run too, Enke.

Another beautiful day here, which reminded me of Easters when I was growing up and how much I disliked the day. All I wanted to do was go outside and play in the sunshine, but instead I had to spend the day in dress-up clothes, a long church service, then a longer drive to some fancy restaurant for a slowly-served meal. And of course nothing was air-conditioned in those days. On the other hand, I sometimes wish I could relive some of those times when my parents and grandparents were still around and all I had to worry about was being a kid...

Another tradition from those days was that you should wear a new article of clothing on Easter Sunday. I haven't bought any dress clothes for years, but I do have a pair of new running shoes in the closet, so I changed right from my suit to shorts and went out for a very enjoyable run. 7 miles on the Clinton River and Paint Creek trails in my new Brooks Addiction 8s.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Holly, we told you so! Ah yes, the mysteries of running. But the wine is no mystery. I swear by it. 

Nice sunshiney day here, too, but still waiting for it to warm up a bit. It still dips down into the 20's at night, warming up to upper 40's by the late afternoon. It's almost 11 and just 35° now, but I'll be getting ready to go here soon. 

Doug, I bet a lot of people have memories of Easter like that. I remember as a kid being in church and a young boy on the other side of the aisle passed out and fell during a hymn. My mom said "too many chocolate Easter eggs before church!"

Henrun

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it. Yes, Kevin, its still Passover (8 days total-ends tomorrow evening).     

Long runs for Marj and me. We ran for 3 hours along the Charles and Fresh Pond Parkway on this beautiful spring morning. I got in a slow 13 (according to my own sense of pace-it have been longer). Marj hit 16. We can start tapering for our half in May and enjoy the festivities of the Boston Marathon weekend. We do have one more 5 mile race next Sunday. Hope it's a bit cooler (as predicted).