Masters Running

Lovely Thursday, July 29 Daily ....... (Read 581 times)

I'm simply too fat.   

Get a larger shirt......it will be easier to pull off.

Vista

evan, belated happy birthday to your son.  wild, that was an especially nice trail run yesterday.  enke, it's good to have you back after a great vacation.  Franc, it's good to hear from you.  hopeful, congrats on the 100 mile month.  Sarge, way to go in the 2 mile XC race with 20 second improvement over last year and beating the guy you wanted to beat.  dave, It's good to hear you got in a long enough bike ride to figure out the gears.  Keep being patient, you're making progress.

Nice long runs for breger, CNY, PBJ and holly (with speedwork).  Good job on the speedwork for fatozzig (hill repeats) and Blazin.

As hopeful and roch have said, the conditions were nice in MI this morning.  For me it was about 60°, just a light wind, and lowered humidity.  Unfortunately, that didn't make my run any easier.  I got in 8 miles in about 1:22:30 for a 10:19 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Slo

I forgot to put in my daily;

I'm Taking a Half Day Today ! In a little bit I'll be outta here. Meeting up with the "Old Dawgs" in Waterloo and riding the last two days of RAGBRAI. Riding with these guys makes me the "Young Pup".

Roch.....I'll have to look up Bubba.

hey friends   ... 6.3 miles for me last night with the sun down so less hot, but pace still very slow - avg 10:45ish - just felt good to put in the miles........day before i was out on my bike for about 30 minutes but my odometer/speedometer thingie wasnt working so not sure how fast (slow) or the distance

holly - great pace for you!!  you will be smoking with less H&H

slo - enjoy your 1/2 day you Young Pup!

mari - have a fun rest day!

CNY - great running as always - hope supergranny is doing well

mary - great paces for you too - have a great 10k to finish off your awesome mileage month

pbj - amazing pbj special!

2p hearing at McLeans - Justin has decided he doesnt need to be there but I'm still going just to see/be part of the process ..... will update later

denise

Denise - Not sure if "good luck" is the right thing re the hearing, but I will be thinking about you and your family.

Some great runs today, despite H&H.  I thought about all of you while I was looking at our overcast skies and hearing on the radio that the temp was in the low 50s.  Doesn't look good for any clear skies this afternoon, but that's always a crap shoot here in the summer.

My legs still feel dead from yesterday.  It's been awhile since something's kicked my rear this much, but no rest for the wicked.  16 trail miles on tap after work tomorrow since I'll be sitting in that class all day Saturday.

Tonight, I need to go home and do my upper body/core strength training as I couldn't pull myself from bed this morning.  Was up until almost 10:30 last night getting caught up on crap for conference in two weeks.  Why I agreed to do what I'm doing, I'll never know.  A moment of insanity mixed with weakness, I guess.  But after this two-year stint, I'm taking a break so I can concentrate on other goals - running goals.

Have a good one~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

......  So I was planning to run slow and short this morning figuring I'd need some recovery.  But the legs wanted to scoot along this morning.  So 6.5 miles with the last 5.5 miles all well under 9 min/mile pace.  8:56 overall pace.

I had planned on this being a cutback week.  But nope.  It's looking to be another high 40's, maybe 50 mile week and feeling good too.

Bill

[my 2 cents on]

Byll..... looking back to my prior injuries, the weeks before the injuries I felt invincible. Who needs a recovery day, who needs a cutback week, look at the faster pace I did that workout.....  I think it is wise to allow those breaks especially when you feel invincible.

[my 2 cents off]

Nice running lately!!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

[my 2 cents on]

Byll..... looking back to my prior injuries, the weeks before the injuries I felt invincible. Who needs a recovery day, who needs a cutback week, look at the faster pace I did that workout.....  I think it is wise to allow those breaks especially when you feel invincible.

[my 2 cents off]

Nice running lately!!

Point taken Steve.  Tomorrow will be no more than 4 miles slow/easy.  I promise!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Slo, I'm taking a half day off today AND tomorrow! And DH left this morning for a two-night/three-day fishing trip with a friend. They'll be driving all over, stopping here and there to try their luck and staying in a couple of cabins along the way. So... I'm taking some much-needed "me" time to just chill and do whatever.

And Whatever today includes the 10 miler I put off from yesterday. My legs feel much better today, but still a little soreness in the shins/quads so will take it pretty easy.

I run without my shirt whenever it's warm enough, but when I run from work, I always start and finish with the shirt on. Somehow I'm just not comfortable leaving and entering the building quite-so-bare.

Holly, more of what everyone else said about the H&H. It's a struggle to run in that stuff. We haven't had much heat this summer so I've avoided dealing with it, but I remember running in Rhode Island a couple of years ago, in July, and felt like I had cement shoes.

Denise, I hope the hearing goes well today. Without being close to the situation, I can say it doesn't sound like he's able to make reasonable judgement calls about what he needs. Hang in there.

We could use some virtual hugs for our community. A tragic accident yesterday afternoon claimed the life of a 14 year old girl, riding her bicycle with her brother and best friend. A driver ran a red light, and struck the girl as they crossed the road. Her friend was also hurt, but the brother is ok. I can't imagine the horror of getting that phone call... This really has shaken me, even though I don't know the family. It happened less than 5 miles from my home, at an intersection I run by frequently. Hug your kids and loved ones. You just never know when some idiot in a hurry will change your life forever.

Erika, sorry to hear about that tragic accident.  I gave up watching the news when my first was born as I suddenly could see myself as that person's mother all the time and it was just too upsetting.

Byll, running stronger and stronger.  I love it to see people improve over time - it gives me hope, ha!

It's hard to take your shirt off around people you know, but total strangers, no problem!

DD has a stomach bug.  Up half the night puking etc.  So I slept in.  She is getting better slowly and I am worried I am now coming down with it...

Enjoy those cooler temps peeps!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Oh that's so sad, Erika. Prayers and hugs to the family and loved ones.

Another slow late afternoon run for me, and I seem to be getting slower with each run. But my sacrum pain is lessening, so I guess that's good. The hamstring is still talking to me, though... It's getting to that point again that I'm forfeiting going to yoga class because I'd rather be out running. Hmm, maybe tomorrow....

Good runs, all.

...enke//........get some Requa Activated Charcoal Caps......

...it absorbs stomach viruses

(well, EVERYTHING really)

just start it early if you think you're getting it.

call the drugstore first, not all pharmacies carry it..

good stuff.........

.........also have everyone

wash their hands before you eat ,in case it's spread that way.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

10.7 miles of steady running. I don't remember the last time I had such consistent pacing on a run.

8:31

8:18

8:23

8:26

8:22

8:24

8:37 (back up the hill to home)

8:30 last .7 mile

Kinda fun when it works out that way; 8:25 was the overall average.

Ran by the intersection where the accident was. Busy traffic as usual, like nothing ever happened. I spent a lot of this run thinking of that girl's poor family. I don't know if could handle it. 

Unscheduled night off for me. Got home from a busy day at workk to find my in laws at my house Skyping with my granddaughter and son who is stationed in Germany. Then dinner with them. They have left now but after 2 Jamison and ginger ales I think I will pass on the run.

Last nights 6 miler felt really hard as the humidity and the fact that I have been working so much and my shins and calves are sore and I probably need a step back week............Ok I will probably make it up in the morning . I need 7 or 8 miles before the end of the month.

Erika,

Sorry to hear of the local tradgedy. It really makes us value what each day brings when death is so close.  We can't help but put ourselves as parents in a similar situation. A mother or fathers biggest fear.  I bet your kids will get extra attention for the next few days.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

((Erika))  that is so sad .....  my prayers to you and the whole community.........nice job on your  consistent pacing!

thank you all for your prayers and positive thoughts for today - the hearing went exactly as the Dr. described it to me yesterday and the lawyer for the hospital was very kind........the judge ruled for Justin to remain in the hospital and authorized enforcement of the treatment plan - when i made it back to the floor the nurse had already given him his med without any problem - for now he seems resigned to take it to avoid injections since  the judge has ordered him to take it .......... hoping for better days and will try not to take up so much of the daily but i thank each and every one of you for your support!!  ((RA))

denise

Oh how awful Erika---makes me hug my kiddo close and mourn for the family and friends. A real tragedy

I had one of those legs wouldn't move workouts this morning----track workout and this is what's in my log:

Ran to Smith track---20' wu then 5x 2000 @ 6:30 pace----couldn't hit it, humid, legs felt stuck to the track surface, bleh! (6:48, 6:50, 6:53,6:41,6:50---mile pace) (2:30 rest interval) and then 3x 200 (200) in 40-45 second range---ran home---10 miles total. 5:30 am

It was a struggle and even though I was happy to get it done and it wasn't horrible, it felt far harder than it should have. I was drenched in sweat before I even got to the track and it did rain a bit at the end of the workout, so the air was definitely saturated. 

Love and hugs to you Denise. Super Granny is hanging in there. She is a diminished version of her old self, but working to build her energy back. We have lined up some visiting nurse care to keep close tabs on her vitals and then she'll move into assisted living in October---a year after she moved in with us. It's all good though and each day is a huge gift. Thanks for asking!