Masters Running

40+ On the Run w/e 3/7 (Read 378 times)

saltyd

Hi All, Carol and Ev - congratulations on your runs. Leslie - Congrats on your return to regular work outs, bummer about your battle with the internal organs. Joe - wow, 11" of snow. Glad you found a place to at least get some running in, too bad it was the Hamster Habitrail. I've been working the night shift the past couple nights, so it's thrown my work out schedule out the window. I am supposed to be back to my regular mornign shift Thursday, so hopefully I can get some type of work out in this afternoon, or tomorrow afternoon. It's been getting a little warm in the afternoons here (90F+ on Monday). That is getting a little warmer than my body likes. Well, everyone stay safe with their work outs, and traveling on snowy/icey roads. Salty
    Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
      Joe - I tried to quote something out of your thread, but your whole post is in a little quote box. So here: "The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round . . . ." Tongue Salty - Nice to hear from you! "Howdy" to everyone else, too! 45 min of biking to nowhere this a.m. with "About A Boy." Cute movie. Hadn't watched it in awhile. Then did 30 min of light upper and lower body. Something I did during that 30 minutes isn't setting well with me, so I need to be a little gentler over the next few days. One good thing is the biking has gotten so much easier that I need to figure out how to make the pedaling harder. I have it in the lowest (highest?) gear and my trainer notched to the hardest level (I think), so dunno what to do next. If I pedal really fast I can keep my HR up, but it's hard to keep that momentum going for 45 min. My poor old guy cat, Fatso. His kidneys are going kapoot and, consequently, he gets constipated real easy, even though we're giving him 200 cc's of fluid every 3 days. The vet recommended mixing pumpkin with his canned food to help easy the strangle hold his intestines have on his poo, but it's not working good enough. So yesterday I actually bought the kitty of version of "gentle overnight relief." It took some hunting, the our vet was able to find this stuff - Laculose (I think). Keeping my fingers crossed it works for Fats. I'm getting sympathy hemrroids just watching him try to go to the bathroom. Big grin Big grin Big grin

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I came across this story on the Internet today. It is so incredibly heartbreaking while at the same time being heartbreakingly wonderful. You'll understand once you read it. Jewels - Had you heard about this before? Written story by two writers with the St. Petersburg Times http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/article750838.ece Audio and Video of the story. http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2008/reports/danielle/

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Today is my run day but got this nasty upper respiratory crud and bailed. I ran my sprayer applying fertilizer on wheat and felt like crap all day. I called it a day at 5 and prescribed myself a Chivas. A couple pics from the weekend, even tho its not running, running makes it possible to do this. With mileage limited by achilles tendonitis this winter I just consider this cross-training. Oh Joe the skins let you go uphill without sliding backwards. These pics are taken from inbounds at Copper Mtn but here is a cool backcountry site http://www.wildsnow.com/ some CO 14'ers another pic

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey folks... Beautiful pics Jim. Get well. Enjoy the scotch. 9 miles for me this evening. It was 80F Shocked A few more degrees and I'll be up there with you, Salty. Sorry to hear about Fatso's problems. Hope things get better. Let me know how that stuff works. We have a cat that's beginning to show his age.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Awwww, what a sad story Leslie. I hadn't heard about it. Nice pics Jim, your X-training is keeping you fit inbetween your runs. Joe, man you guys got hit hard with the snow. Hope the weekend brings some nicer stuff your way. My son up in Mass called a couple of days ago and said it was really, really bad up there. Take care..... Hello to everyone...... Not much to report. No running, no exercising at all. Really in a slump......gotta get into the gym and at least get some good workouts in to keep my stamina up before I lose it. Have a nice week! Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                Jewels - It is a sad story, but also uplifting in that she found an abundance of love in her new family. I loved when they said she was reborn the day they brought her home. What a wonderful way of looking at things! No run this a.m. as I am feeling slightly more than mild pain in the belly button area. Think I pushed it too hard yesterday. Oh well. Roll eyes Will give it a nice easy try tomorrow a.m. Our local country radio station started its 7th Annual St. Jude's Hospital Marathon this morning to help raise money for the hospital. Interspersed with songs are stories from parents who kids have been or are involved with St. Jude's. I tell ya, the stories are heartbreaking, but also so touching at the same time. That is a very, very special place, and those of you with healthy kids, give 'em an extra kiss and hug today and send up a prayer of thanks that all you have to fight is the occasional cold or flu episode.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

No run this a.m. as I am feeling slightly more than mild pain in the belly button area. Think I pushed it too hard yesterday.
                  Didn't your Doctor warn you about pushing your belly button too hard? Big grin
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Non-runner again today, but feeling better. Like Leslie said this cold/flu crap is just temporary. Haven't taken a whole week off from running in like 2 + years maybe just what I needed anyway. Smile Ev whats up with this Hot spring weather on the plains, was mid 70's here also. Jewels we like to hear whats going on with you even when you aren't running.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Happy Friday, Folks!!!
                      Didn't your Doctor warn you about pushing your belly button too hard? Big grin
                      Big grin Big grin My longest run this a.m. since surgery - 4 miles - and cripes! Who knew 4 miles could be so dang tuff? Am suppose to be keeping my HR under 160 for now. Yeah right. Av Pace/Best/HR 1. 10:11/9:10/145 2. 10:21/8:34/161 3. 9:48/8:07/160 4. 10:30/8:49/160 And most of Miles 3-4 were at a decline. I have a sneaking suspicion that tomorrow's trail run is going to include a lot of walking. Roll eyes Later!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi guys! Sorry I've been MIA this week. No real excuse except work and life, which are to blame for most things. So far so good on the ITB...seems to only bother me after a few miles, and then just a little and calm down before the next run. Went to Weight Watchers this week. Felt like I needed some structure and motivation to get off the "run - eat - run - eat - run - eat some more" cycle I had gotten into prior to doing the half. Though technically still within a "healthy" weight range, I was starting to push that envelope. I've gained 10 lbs in the past year or so, it was time to do something different and avoid being classified as insane (doing same thing, expecting different results). Running wise, have my eye on a couple of spring 5K's and want to keep my mileage base at 20-25 just for general fitness and perhaps a launching pad to the next 1/2 (did I say that?). Also hit the weights once this week, and want to make that and/or yoga a 2x/week thing. Hoping Jim is feeling better, Leslie doesn't push it too much and undo her doctor's handiwork, and Jewels can get in to see her doctor soon!
                        Progress Trumps Pefection
                          Oh, I'll certainly be checking in here and there whether it is running related or not Jim. That's actually a pet peeve of mine when you only "hear" from folks when they have some great running to talk about. If things aren't going their way you never hear much from them. Nice pics Jim! Ev.......80*, wow! We will be in the 80's this weekend and it looks like the trend will continue. Nice 9 miler for you! I am going to try for a short run tomorrow just to see how things go but I have a feeling it won't be pretty. It' s already been a month since my race and I am going crazy! Way to go Leslie on your come back and a super nice run for you! Carol, I've put on a handful of lbs. myself. I dropped 5 of them a couple of weeks before my race then the 2 weeks leading up to the race, no running because of my knee and lots of eating! So.....I need to get back on the healthy train again! Glad the IT band is not bothering you too much. Be careful...... Hey to Arla, Salty and Joe.......... MTA: Correcting some gawd awful spelling! TGIF, Jewels
                            2 pain free freaking miles this morning! Big grin Say that 3 times really fast....... Jewels

flatland mountaineer

2 pain free freaking miles this morning! Big grin Say that 3 times really fast....... Jewels
                              Woo Hoo! Smile Glad you are on the road to recovery.

This one's for you, Jewels! 2 pain free freaking miles this morning! 2 pain free freaking miles this morning! 2 pain free freaking miles this morning! Woohoo, you go girl! Hope you will still keep that doctors appt though. This must be "return to running" day. My mom e-mailed me this morning that she ran for the first time after taking a fall on some ice on a snowshoeing trip a few weeks ago. She's getting geared up to kick some butt in the Komen 5K in April. 8 miles with my friend this morning. Dieting has taken it's toll on my blood sugar, and I crashed after a few miles (blood sugar dropped to 59). It was recoverable though....with some gatorade, 3 gels and walking for about a mile. Averaged 11:33 overall counting the walking mile. About to meet with a young woman from my church who also has Type1 diabetes and is pretty afraid to do much for fear of her blood sugar getting messed up. Hoping I can be a friend and encouragement to her to push through that fear and live life to the fullest. Happy Saturday to all!
                                Progress Trumps Pefection