Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 04/17 (Read 513 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - that same storm ripped through here two days ago but I sure don't think we had 70 mph winds! Scary! And...squirrel fahrtleks, cute! Oh, the life of a dog!

Joe - body attack? Sounds fun....but I have a dirty mind.

Jewels - hope the doc has some answers. There's got to be something that can fix you up!

Stumpy - BB playing has given you a-fib symptoms in the past? Yikes! I guess the running and crosstraining has made you fitter?

Ev - hit and miss tapering sounds like a fine regime. Doesn't really matter now one way or t'other.

Carol - how fun to come across a guy who BQ'd, didja get a chance to pick his brains?

Leslie - damn, you were so tired you couldn't CHEW?? That's hard to imagine. I'm impressed that your legs and the rest of you feels pretty decent. Hey and some weekends off! What'cha gonna DO with yourself??

S-l-o-o-w fiver today. Morning paper said pertussis (whooping cough) is going around and I learned that one typical symptom is a cough that makes you vomit - check! I had thought that was strange. If true, the bad news is I might need a few more weeks to get up to snuff, but the good news is that it wasn't running a marathon with a cold that kicked my butt - just a bad bad bug. Always look on the bright side!

Ex runner

Morning paper said pertussis (whooping cough) is going around and I learned that one typical symptom is a cough that makes you vomit - check! I had thought that was strange. If true, the bad news is I might need a few more weeks to get up to snuff, but the good news is that it wasn't running a marathon with a cold that kicked my butt - just a bad bad bug. Always look on the bright side!

Dang, Arla!  That's some heavy duty coughing!  Yeah, no wonder you've been feeling like crap.  Good job on keeping moving, though, regardless of how slow the miles might be.  Twist that arm around and give yourself a nice pat on the back.

Re too tired to chew.  Your mind is like a petulant child, telling you it just doesn't want to do that anymore.  Chew, swallow - anything solid.  I definitely have to figure out other foods to eat.  One thing I realized last night was that I totally relied on Karen and The Hub to provide food for me and never looked at the aid station tables.  Wrong way to handle it.  From now on, no matter what, always go look and see what's available.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow--I didn't know that whooping cough was still around.  Hope it doesn't hang around for a whole lot longer. 

I had a double ablation last year to get rid of the various flutters I had.  It was about 95% successful (still have one pill to take, but my doc cleared me to try anything I wanted.  So I decided I was in good enough shape to give it a shot.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

jfa

Hi Kids

I learned enough from my previous 3 marathons not to put much credence into how I feel during taper week, but my last couple of runs have been very sluggish. I think that my old body does not respond well to rest. Last night's 3er felt like a slog. Taking today off completely, a little 2er tomorrow then race day Sat. Weather outlook has "improved" to 49* with rain,headwinds of 14- 27mph. Oh well, no sense complaining, just going to deal with it, that's all.

Weather outlook has "improved" to 49* with rain,headwinds of 14- 27mph.

Nice improvement.   Wishing you the best of luck, Joe!

Stumpy - Jr Hi and HS coaches were always trying to get me to play BB 'cause I'm 5'8".  Suffice to say, I sucked.

Since I was basically awake from 1:30 to about 4:30, I stayed in bed instead of doing my strength training.  . . . . at least that's the excuse I'm using for the time being.

I finally finished my Report.

Have a great day ~

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, Leslie, great report!  This deserves its own thread!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks, Carolyn.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - Fantastic race report, really kept me on the edge of my seat - and I had to laugh aloud when you had your cry followed by launching a snot rocket and away we go! That's a runner for ya!

Stumpy - ah yeah, I knew you'd had those ablations. That makes sense then.

Joe - taper madness, man. You'll be fine. Sorry to hear about that weather report, I was thinking monster PR for you, but...now it might be a wait and see. Chalk it up to good experience.

Did 8 miles that felt something more like normal today, yay, a light at the end of the tunnel! Just in time, because I agreed to go for a 12 mi trail run with my ultra/trail running/peak-bagging friends. Dumb of me! In return they promised pizza.

Arla

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, they did promise pizza.  sound like good motivation to me.

Body Attack....yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about!  Joe, I may be opposite of you.  I think I need more rest than many othrs.  I usually respond pretty well after 2-3 days rest.  Good luck!

Jim.....thanks for the invite out to BB.  It'd would, indeed, be a very fun race after the marathon.  Unfortunately I have many excuses for not making the trip.  None of which really hold up under close scrutiny.  But one of these days, Gladys, one of these days!  Thankful the storm didn't do anymore damage than what you had.  No more bad storms for you guys.

Les.....I have no words. 

Arla.....sounds as though you may be getting a little better?  Hope so.

Hey Stump. Hey Mtn. Hey Frances, Hey ultra, and carol, hey evryone.

Latr my friends.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Nice report Leslie and the race all I can say is Holy Cow!!

Arla glad u see to be on the mend!

Joe have a great race this weekend!!

Mta 5 mi with one set of rea poles.

Any other RAers that want to do Bolder Boulder with the farmers and the mountain people come on up. Its alot of fun with something for everyone whether an elite, an amateur  front runner or a social runner that actually wants to stop and have a beer during the race. More bands/mile  than the R&R series all in the shadow of the flatiron mountains.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good luck, Joe.  Have a great race.

Hope you have a wonderful race, Joe!  Wild weather just makes for a more memorable experience, and I'm sure you'll do great with whatever the day brings.
                            Progress Trumps Pefection

Good luck, Joe!!!!!!!

Arla - Pizza sounds like a good reason to trail run.

Jim - Someday this group is going to actually have to find a race we can all attend.  It would be a hoot!

Ev - Thank you.

Hi Carol, Cindy, Frances, Kelly and anybody else I've unintentionally rudely  missed.

Was suppose to do 5 this a.m., but it was a late Bonkos night.  I didn't win.   Will try and keep my promise to myself to do them after work since I have a massage tomorrow morning.  Aaaaaaahhhhhh!!!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good luck to you Joe, you're going to do great! Have fun......

Dang Leslie, super nice race report! Having Karen run with you and having your husband there was just icing on the cake! Congrats again......soooo, whatcha got cookin'?

Will check in with everyone later.....

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee