Masters Running

Happy May Day Runs Daily (Read 501 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

The snow came as predicted this morning, but at present it has let up, with about 6 inches so far. I planned today as a rest day when I heard the forecast. Sure doesn't look like May 1 out there. I did get out for a lovely trail run after work yesterday - as seemom said, it was 80 in town, so I didn't run at lunch. After work, I headed up the mountains toward home and stopped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park. I don't have a park pass yet this year, but the ranger office was closed when I got there. The ranger was just leaving, and said I was free to run without the pass. It was 60 degrees and breezy - just perfect! There was a little bit of old snow in the woods, and I saw my first pasque flowers of the season. It's a very hilly rugged trail, some in the woods and some traversing an open hillside. I'm psyched to start trail running again for the year - well, at least once this new snow has melted. I'm fortunate to have this beautiful mountain park in my backyard. Quite literally - my property borders the park! Teresa, congrats on the 10 miles - double digits! Woo hoo! Happy May!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I Can Go The Distance

3 mile Tempo run for me today. WU mile @9:58; tempo miles 8:38, 8:21, 8:00 for 24:59 8:20/mile; CD mile 9:47 for total of 5 miles in 44:44 8:57/mile. Weather was perfect for running today. Sunny and 56F. Have a great day Boomers! Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

A couple of nice runs......yesterday was a 3.27 and then today is one at 5.18. I am happy with them. I would love to be there to watch enke with her race this weekend. That is going to be neat. I was wondering just how much running experience was in this group. There are approximately 289 people who are "members" in this daily thread. Of those, 131 are using the training log to record what they are doing for runs. Realizing that some have only started doing so in the last year and that many of you have been running for years, these figures get somewhat distorted. In any regards, I took the "total miles" of everyone who is recording their miles and added them up. The total for miles is 232,377 miles. Some people who I KNOW have a few miles on their sneakers more than what is recorded would definitely bring this total up considerably if we knew what they had run in their lifetime. For instance, Rochrunner was at 159 miles......Soundrunner was at 845 miles.....Lyndenrunner was at 26 miles.....McSolar was at 207 miles....PJH was at 10 miles....CNYRunner was at 758 miles.......anyway......you get the idea. What I was hoping to do when I started out was see if we had history for 1 million miles run as a group. I am almost sure it is there, but we don't have record of it. I will keep monitoring this and when we get there, I will let you know. It probably won't be this weekend or next. By the way, the top three total miles lifetime recorded is Hermosaboy with 9162 miles......Charley Gross with 8329 miles.......and ultrachick with 7941 miles
        Vista
          ..WOW vista//.......I smell ''Shoe Ads'' in there somewhere........ although that could have been Phrased Better......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

maybe odor eaters, too? Shy

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Taking deep breaths....ok....it may not reach 72 till after I'm done, but still it could be 65 at the end. That is too hot for this northern gal. My radiator is permanently broken. I hate direct sun. Can I whine some more? Still not 100% better, kinda of flushy, swirly and tired. My plan is to just take it easy, real easy and stay very aware of how I feel all the time. I'll chance a DNF as opposed to a DNS. I am really just going there for the Boomer party anyway. Tongue teresa! woohoo!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, enk! You and I have the same thermostat, I'm afraid. I can relate! I'm glad it gets light very early in the morning here, because I think I should run at the crack of dawn come July. It's my only hope.

I love to run!

Mrbill, it is good to have you back. Nice intervals... you run those just out on the roads? ("hilly, breezy") Do you use your Garmin to measure? I don't trust mine to be very accurate, but as others have said here, should be close enough I guess.
                  I use a Timex Body Link GPS and it's pretty accurate. And I run them on the bike trails in our neighborhood. Nice and scenic, except for those pesky hills.... Roll eyes
                  One More Mile
                    Not enough time to go home from school and be back in time for yet another concert, so I went running at Valley Forge park this afternoon. I learned two things: (1) I'm an idiot for not doing this sooner - it's a 10 minute drive from my school and (2) Washington and his men must have marched, not only in the snow, but UPHILL BOTH DIRECTIONS everywhere they went. Shocked I was supposed to do 5 miles with some speedwork in the middle. I'm calling it 5 miles of HILLS, HILLS, and more HILLS. The middle mile was marginally the fastest, though, so maybe it was a weird sort of tempo run? I'm psyched to do it again, though. It was a little creepy at first because I got there around 3:15 and there were hardly any other people around. By the time I left, though, more after-work runners, walkers, and cyclists were out doing their thing. I may make this a weekly or twice weekly run until school is out. (In 35 days; yep, I'm still counting.) And it's definitely where I'm going to do my long runs in the fall. I did an out and back trek twice to make the 5 miles, and I barely covered even a small part of the park. Off for some heavy-duty kid-wrangling. Happy Almost-Friday, all. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

SteveP

Look at the grouse!!! Look at the grouse!!!! 3.35 Miles today

SteveP

wildchild

Carolyn

Eliz, I LOVE Valley Forge Park! I used to live in Ardmore, and my family used to go there for picnics. I also rode my bike there with my friends a few times, and yep, I remember the hills!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

GreenMan

.... Have you sampled those morels yet? .....
                          We ate alot when Beth and Dan came over and split the rest with them. There are only a few left Cry. I grilled some on skewers and had them on pasta last night. They were scrum-diddly-umpious. They taste like walking in the woods on a warm spring day. Smile I did a sweaty 30min workout on the elliptical today, felt good. Quads still a bit sore. Mt Masochist has opened for registration. It filled in 60 days last year. I've already registered. My first 50M. Where's a dancing banana when you need one? jjj
                          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                            4.5 on tired and sore legs. Day off tomorrow just in time. Not sure whats going on with me but I am so hungry all the time. My DW left me alone tonight and I fried potatoes with sausage and onions! Shocked I can't remember the last time I had fried potatoes. Better open the windows and air out the house before she gets home. Wink Hope everyone has or had good runs Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #3309

That's funny about the fried potatoes Larry....hope you enjoyed and aired the house out in time, lol. I have been that way about food latley too...pizza for lunch today when I normally would NEVER do that. 55 miles cycling tonight with some cycling and triathlete buds....super super hard ride as they are gaining me on their fitness level...but I held my own. Top speed 36 MPH and max HR of 196 for 2 miles....whew. Have a good night all....and TGIF early....I need it after the work week I have had. Slushy legs Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

munchkn883

3.4 miles with the anchor who went with us to NYC!