Masters Running

Tuesday 13 April Runs, etc. (Read 549 times)

Hey everyone. Laying low and getting my game face on. . JK. I'm doing what Bill is doing. 4 easy miles this morning after upper body weights. No legs work this week. Tomorrow will be 5-6 miles and then easy easy fillers until Monday, which by the way will be partly sunny, breezy, low to mid-50's. I ordered that special for the out-of-towners.

Congrats Leslie 50 miles is an outstanding accomplishment

If you are done with the rubber chicken I think Tag might put it to use

Sue, way to go & best wishes on your goals.

Rest day for me today.    

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Kimmie

Awesome weather forecast so far....

Heading off for 5 right now.     Getting super excited!

Marathon Maniac #957

Awesome weather forecast so far....

Huh?  This morning weather.com said 60% chance of showers.  Now it's "partly sunny" and only 10%.

(...I'm not looking anymore until Friday....)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

STEP AWAY FROM THE FORECAST! It's New England, just wait five minutes if you don't like the weather!

Thanks for the update  on all the prep. Marj. Exciting!

4.2 easy miles this morning and back in gloves with frost on the ground. Feeling good.

Nice start Walt and the acronym for your girls is a wonderful keeper.

How are you feeling Leslie? Rubber chicken is a classic. They used to throw rubber chickens on the ice at St. Lawrence University when the hockey team scores----at least not like at UNH where they throw fish!

Vent all you want dg----it takes longer than you think to feel like yourself again. Hang in there.

Way to go Sue!

Hope Maraposai is feeling better? She and divechief are running marathons on Saturday.

evanflein

As long as someone takes care of the wind before Monday, I'll be fine. Would prefer no showers, too, if I may make that request.

Deb, don't make Holly break out that duct tape! What was with all those intervals?? And maybe do the run/walk OR the weight machines, but not both? Hang in there, Hon, I know it's hard but you've got to be patient!

Sue, good job on the weight loss. I'm down about 6 since January 1 and feel pretty good. It's been very slow and lots of up and down but the trend has been down, just hope I don't blow it with running less. I did read somewhere that women who eat a really low fat diet and drop pounds are more susceptible to injury, but not sure of the reasons for that. I'd be interested to know the title of the book you've been using.

I hit the gym for a 31 minute elliptical ride last night, then about 10-15 minutes of abs/core/stretching. Taking it pretty easy these days. Like Holly said, the training is pretty much done. This week presents a lot of opportunity to mess things up so just being a slacker is a good thing. I've got so much to do around the house and work before I go, it's just crazy. I'm sure most will remain undone, and life will go on. It's strangely comforting when they close the door of the plane and you just have to leave it all behind.

Errands at lunchtime (to try to tackle the above problem a bit), then a RAW, but possibly on the treadmill. We've got snow this morning and freezing rain forecast for later. Bleh.

Marathon Maniac #957

This week presents a lot of opportunity to mess things up so just being a slacker is a good thing.

This is worth repeating.......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Good afternoon.

Karin is right; step away from the forecast.   I am choosing to interpret the BAA's sending  us both hot weather and cold weather running tips as a sign that the weather will be just right.... like I have any control over it.

I hate wind too; for much of this course the prevailling wind tends to be from the W,  which is good for us, but that can change dramatically the last few miles. After Eastern States, i would prefer not to deal with a prolonged headwind!

6.5 easy miles this morning on slightly tight legs, then a 1500 swim at lunch. I kept my running mileage moderate this weekend, but snuck in a quick hike Saturday afternoon after I got sick of cleaning out the ski condo. Snow conditions were tricky.. but it is only Tuesday so my legs will loosen up.  Just have to hope the limited training will be enough and my body  will behave for the day... no heroics for me this year, that is for sure.

I sent  some of my Boston bound friends a picture of  a large lazy tapir as inspiration for the week. Try googling "tapir" . Bad pun I suppose but the pictures are funny.

Rest up!

Does this mean you are now ready for the 100 miler up here in September?

Uh, that would be a negatory.  My buddies, Kate and Russ, are running it, though.  This will be Russ' 3rd (?) attempt at finishing a 100-miler.  He sure picked a doozy!  Kate's running Western States this year, and Karen and I are crewing for her.  I'm so excited!!

dg - Take . . . it . . . easy.   Harder said that done, I know, but you don't want any major setbacks.

Thanks for all the congrats, everyone.  It is much appreciated.  Except for being tired, a sort of sore right hip joint, and slightly sluggish legs, I feel really good.  I'm chalking it up to all the walking I did up and down the hallway of the hotel Saturday night.  One thing I do religiously before long runs is apply diaper rash lotion to -er - a strategic location.  Saw a guy Saturday night who most obviously did not lube up.  He was walking like he'd been riding in a saddle for 5 days straight.

Was suppose to walk or slowly jog 3 miles this a.m., but is was absolutely pouring when I got up at 5:45.  I went back to bed.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie, good choice!  Maybe back to bed for a week!

I feel like the Boston qualifiers way outnumber us common folk on this board.  It wasn't always that way was it?

dg.......hmm ok I had a laparotomy - 6 weeks absolutely no working out.  and also later on a laparoscope procedure, pain went away after one week, but it was a couple more weeks before I did anything other than walk.  If you are sore after doing your workouts, well then that must mean something.  I see duct tape in your future.

7 miles, 48F, light rain, light wind.   Legs somewhat dead even though I took yesterday off.  I finished my run by running out to a dock, but I noticed two guys out there were enjoying some reefer.  Hmmm.   See that a lot in Seattle but not as much on the Eastside.  I should have gone right up and embarrassed them.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I see duct tape in your future.

Add me to the duct tape crew Enke and Holly. Don't make me run out there now dg. I had the same thing but in reverse---laparoscopy that didn't resolve an issue and then on to open laparotomy with a side order of hysterectomy. Six week sentence as well and I did come back way too soon---tried to run at 2 weeks. The pain was more severe than child birth without the bundle of joy result. Did that TMI work to get you to behave? We just don't want you hurting or dealing with a set back.

Enke! Your reference to reefer made me laugh out loud and practically spill my tea. I don't know why I laughed so---haven't heard that term in awhile. Somehow I don't think there would have been embarrassment, but maybe they would have offered some.

Good to see you lamerunner and hope everything cooperates so you get a good run on Monday. You are very strong.

Leslie - wow -- 50 miles is amazing!!

dg - please take it slow ...... i know how hard it is too but you'll feel better sooner if you dont push too hard now

sue - what book are you reading? i have Nancy Clarks nutrition for runners but i need to get serious and drop some of this extra weight i put on.

slo - i crashed twice today on  my front lawn just trying to clip into my bike.....once i'm in i was ok and managed to stop and clip out ok but the getting in is killing me ........... one of my friends told me to bring the bike in and practice clipping in between a doorway for support ......need to work on that

9.0 windy miles ...... thermometer said mid 50s but it was a chilly wind and felt nowhere like mid 50s .... legs were slow and heavy so only averaged a 10:15ish pace but at least i put in the miles - almost as many as i managed all last week!!

keep tapering our boston bound friends - cant wait to see you all Sunday!!

denise

SteveP

Nice drop on 12 Lbs Sue!!!

Good luck healing up Tramps.

(((((Mary)))))

Boy, Slo...sometimes work screws up life. Ugh

Nice BB work out Stumpy!!!

wow oh wow.   I have Boston date marked on my calendar.   Just looked.   oh my.   We need to stock up on our snackies & things for Monday's  track & post fest!!!

Did I mention last year what my DH said?   I'd mentioned that when we watch this marathon, I can finally understand when people get together to watch, say, a football game & whoop & cheer. (not something I do)  So he said he could just see a bunch of us sitting in a room with our pc's, tracking away.    when we got thirsty we'd go grab a drink of water & then throw the cup. 

snork!

(((((DG)))))It takes as long as it takes. A PT once told me, "Work it, don't push it"

Huh?  This morning weather.com said 60% chance of showers.  Now it's "partly sunny" and only 10%.

(...I'm not looking anymore until Friday....)

I can picture weather forcasters in Boston giggling every time they come up with a new forcast.

7 road miles with the dog. He needs to get used to the leash again as to not make a fool of himself in front of Mary next month. The only two times he pulled was when he saw DD#3 coming out of work and when DW yelled to us when we went by the library. She's filling in for SIL while she recovers from back surgury. I don't know why DW still needs to be there....Some one check out the book.

SteveP

Kimmie

ok, I'm not panicking but my 5 miler did not happen today.  My right calf has been acting up again.  I think it's minor but I went to see a massage guy and he about killed me with the pain.  I need to rest it tomorrow, try it out again on Thursday to see.

Whew... this is a crazy week!

EGH- glad to see you're going to be able to run and have such a good attitude about it all.

Congrats Leslie!  I am in awe of ultra runners.

Holly- when I looked, the weather forecast called for high of 50, partly cloudy.   I guess we won't know until Thursday or so.   Do you guys know what you're wearing?  Can't believe I haven't picked that yet.

Erika and Sue-  impressive weight loss.  I wish I had been more disciplined the past few months with my eating.  It's always easier to maintain than it is to lose.

dg.

more tomorrow, off to bed, but thanks!  

where's Nono?