Masters Running

Tuesday 9-20-16 master's daily - pickng up other people's garbage on your runs? (Read 31 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Another one of the benefits of the aging process is waking up at 2am to see the northern lights flashing out the window over a favorite nearby mountain that looks like it needs to be climbed on what’s going to be a sunny fall day and as a concession to training for this year’s Portland Marathon same as climbing Mt. Fuji on each of the three main trails in one day (17 hours) in 1987 in straw waraji and wooden geta sandals and once without, respectively, sufficed for that year's Ironman. Those were the days, that’s for sure. We’ll see. See ya!
    ps - do you ever pick up other people’s garbage on your runs?
    I always do on hikes but only started during running
    since I’ve become so slow it doesn’t matter.

The $20 bill once was worth it.

ps - the subject peak is just out-of-view to the left of this spectacular winter time time lapse from 2013

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Why yes, I do it all of the time Tet. Especially since one of my routes is right next to a community park with picnic tables and swings and stuff. You wouldn't believe what I find there some mornings when I stop to get a drink from the water fountain

Short on time today. A dense fog this morning and temps around 55° made it seem like even I couldn't see my reflective lights at 5:00 AM. Close to 5 miles (forgot my watch) but I'm really enjoying the cooler weather.

Off to serve "Taco Tuesday" to the elementary rugrats. Have a great day everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - I am sometimes envious of the beautiful places you are able to hike...

Jlynne - I brought taco fixings for lunch as well today.  With a small kitchen at work that has a toaster oven, microwave and refrigerator, I pack my lunch almost every day.

4 miles for me today in 62 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spinach

I always do on hikes but only started during running
          since I’ve become so slow it doesn’t matter.

The $20 bill once was worth it.

I usually pick up some trash in a run, I have found a few dollars over the years but never a $20.

I will be able t resume running again this week.  I had surgery on my knee three weeks ago tomorrow and the doctor told me I could resume running after three weeks.  This is fortunate that I ran a race the first weekend in August, since I hurt my knee on August 11 and had the surgery on the 31st.  I have a streak of 173 months with at least one race and I did get August done and with the surgery the end of August, i will be able to get in a race for September this weekend.  The timing was convenient.

Sayhey! MM#130

Northern lights!  Erika's DH posted some incredible photos of them not too long ago, if I recall correctly.  Thanks tet!

Best quote of yesterday is Steve's mournful comment about our collective failure to recognize Adam West's birthday.

Tacos!  Tell Zak I make veggie ones and DH will even eat them.  (I starve him for 2 days prior, shhh...)

After 3+ creaky miles yesterday, was happy that I could do just under 6 this am feeling much more like a runner.

Just listened to an interview of Ryan Speedo Green, a young opera singer whose biography, Sing for Your Life, is coming out this month.  Even though he is just into his 30s, he's seen a lot of life and the book sounds like a good read.  He's appearing at the Met at present; probably not what the folks staffing the youth detention facility he was consigned to when he was 12 would have predicted.

I'm reading The Hopefuls, a funny, satirical look at DC and the yuppies who make it what it is.  Jennifer Close has a wicked pen.

Image result for red sox:         (I just couldn't stop myself.  Five straight.  So good!)

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I found a 20 dollar bill before. And once a 5 dollar bill. Wish someone would drop a 100.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a walking shoe that I could change into once I am done my  running portion of a 24 hour?. I think the walking gave me the blisters at my race. I am thinking of improvements I can do for next year. My toes and balls of feet are trashed.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

Tacos!  Tell Zak I make veggie ones and DH will even eat them.  

Recipe please?  Although I do make black bean taco/tostadas and DS likes those (simmering black beans with some salsa and taco seasoning and using that as the "meat").

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

3.6 surprisingly tempoish miles for me today. 8 minute mile pace but was really trying to do my normal 9 minute pace. I don't have a Garmin I still run with an old Casio running watch so I don't constantly know my pace on most days I just go by feel and never look at the watch until the end. Today I was suprised at my perceived effort compared to my actual. Most days I have a pretty good idea of my pace .

Tet,

i have found money on runs but especially when hiking or just running trails I make a point of carrying something out that I didn,t take in.  Last trail run I picked up some old beer can tabs . I always wonder how they got there and the story behind it. I mean I'm 6 miles out and not at a camp or anything and look down and find 3 can tabs?

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Not fair! I never find money while running.  Garbage yes. Money no.  Once a turtle. What does that count as? 

AamosY I make it a point only to read junk. SF and fantasy and that is about it. Well that and tons of really dull academic articles.

tomwhite I hope all turned out well with what sounds like a hospital visit for an appendectomy.

StarrRuns in my neck of the woods you would have had yesterday off from running. Downpours like you would not believe. My guess is you were likely happier with tired post run legs.

tselbs I hope they recover you stuff and bust the perps.

fatozzig feel better soon.

BerthaSlayer all I can say is that if I were your legs and toes I would run away! 

Jlynne only women can put shopping and fun into the same sentence and without including not. 

I did manage to run 8 miles this morning. Trying to get back to reality. Still suffering from van lag. Nearly passed out at my desk today.  I am hoping that one more good night of sleep and I will be back to normal. Well as normal as I get!  Towards that end, good night all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I came across a $20 bill near the end of the New York Marathon when I ran it. Stopped, went back a couple steps and yep, there was a $20 bill on the ground! I grabbed it and went on. Considering I had a sponsored entry and I stayed with my niece, I made money on the deal!  Ok, not really, but almost! I find all sorts of things on my runs, but the best was a contractors' quality tape measure that I found on the road and brought home to DH. We still have it.

I bring leftovers for lunch every day. To hear that some people go out for lunch every day is just incredible to me. Sometimes, DH and I go out to lunch and it's a real treat! For the most part, I use my lunch break to go run, then eat at my desk. Gotta have your priorities, right?

Speaking of which.... 5.7 miles at late-lunch time today. Felt pretty good with a slow start and picked up pace as I went. Legs are tired but feeling much better. Foot that caused me trouble all summer is basically fine, although the toe that lost a nail a few weeks ago is a little tender. I guess that's to be expected, but ow. (nothing like what Lori is feeling now though, I'm sure!)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Described as well-maintained trail for three miles ascending next to the glacier but intense, steep and unmaintained thereafter to the top, just as my 4-5 hour marathons in those days are taking seven or more hours now, instead of the 4-5 hour round-trip my brain was still processing from the frequent climbs in those days, it was a stretch and strain to reach timberline in three-and-a-half hours at 11am. However, that gave me another three-and-a-half house to get to GS’s school for the daily 2:30 pick-up after class and going down is faster than coming up isn’t it?
                        Unfortunately, though I made it through the dense alders over-and-through glacial bolders and erratics that used to be trouble spots in the past, I got thoroughly lost and worried two times on the way down when I missed key turns that looked completely different on the way down as I was misled into following the new “trail” made by other lost souls similarly confused until their trails abruptly ended in thickets and new growth Sitka spruce trees completing their post-glacial succession.

I was in a complete panic all the way down after miraculously finding the virtually-invisible-to-a-downward-viewpoint real trail and arrived at the school parking lot at 2:28. No nobody knew the difference. Whew.

Breaking Treeline. . . .iatorMendenhall Glacier From Mt. McGinnis

ps - one used gel envelope, lots of discarded flagging tape

and one mattress-sized airline visqueen bag when I was lost in the forest.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - whew!

{{{BerthaSlayer's feet}}}