Masters Running

Monday, January 26, 2009 runs and fun (Read 585 times)

George, I'm sorry your shins are bothering you again. Hope it's ok. No idea about the eyelashes. Bet Erika knows. mine were frozen yesterday too.. we were at the same temps but you went longer & faster. It doesn't bother your nose? Before I left I cut a piece of Dr. Scholl's moleskins & stuck on the inside of the nose part of my balaclava. It seemed to help a little.
    Nope, nose doesn't bother me. I go with a hat and a neck gaiter that's up to my chin. I can't stand a balaclava. Feels too restrictive to me. A little vaseline on the cheeks and nose works just fine. I think the shins will be fine. Just a lot of uneven pavement lately. Stretch stretch stretch. Thanks.

diverdoc, nice 25K race on Sat. teresa, nice Y run with your speedy son. craneium, I'm glad to hear your dad is improving and that his sense of humor is working fine. Hopeful, I'm jealous of all those perch. I don't think any kind of fish taste better than freshly caught lake perch (well, maybe bluegills). CNY, it sounds like you are healing. Nice long runs for jlynne (longest since last spring), fussy, marj and henrun (longest in 3 years), Ilene (with hills), Peter (a couple and with hills), PDR, perch, Tramps, Saint, WRFB (and PR week), jdmom, Twocat, Holly (with fantastic sunrise), EGH, Evan, and SLO. Good job on the speedwork for mariposai (on a sunny, warm, California beach). This morning, the temperature was about 0° and almost calm. I got in 8 miles in about 1:18:30 for a 9:48 pace. I had negative splits and almost a progression run which just happened as I didn't look at my time or pace until I was done. This was my coldest temperature run and, as with my other runs at temps of 10° or lower, I again overdressed. I guess I haven't done enough of these to figure out just what to wear. And then, maybe I'm just paranoid about possibly turning into a popsicle and don't listen to my head reminding me of my other cold weather runs and what I wore for them. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
        3 magical healing miles on the TM this morning - 26:00, and then an hour of pilates to get in that core work. I too prefer Saturdays for long runs, but our schedule doesn't always permit it. If ds and dd1 have a swim meet, then they are off and out of the house with dh too early for me to get up and run. I have to stay in and run on the TM while dd2 sleeps. As soon as swim season is over, I have a short break before Saturday morning soccer games begin so I will try for Saturdays again. I too like being able to relax, stay up late and have a couple of beers on Saturday night without worrying that I will wreck my long run. Craineum, good to hear that your Dad is on the mend and seems to be recovering himself. Very funny story about the red socks. Karin, it's great that you are nearly pain free and ready to get out there running again. Karl, good run in the 25K on Saturday. It is funny, is it not, that the course contains just about the only hill in Virginia Beach and you have to run up it two or three times (three times in the 30K). I did the series right before I ran Shamrock a few years ago and found it very helpful for getting ready for the race. Sounds like you will have a good Shamrock. Ray, wow! That is all I can say. Amazing. Tramps, good that the shin is basically better. Healing vibes to all those on the DL!

Once a runner . . .

King of PhotoShop

Tim, EGH has given you Higdon's logic regarding the LR following a MP run or a moderately long run, to have you just slightly tired before you go into it. I like to do it that way too, 10 on Saturday then 20 on Sunday. I also like to begin my week on Sunday and having the LR on Sunday "tees up" my week nicely. Mary, your post reminded me of the scene in "Cool Hand Luke." "I can eat 50 perch." I suppose you meant that you froze most of them but had a few for dinner last night. Must have been delicious. SLO, that is very encouraging news that a little break restored your energy the way it did. You're going great! Since my LR was yesterday, today was 3.3 recovery at just about the slowest pace I am capable of running. It was 10:46! Then I did a full stretch and core routine at the Y. This injury, like CNY's is abating steadily, and when it is finally gone I will also have the strongest butt in Dallas! Spareribs
            Happy Monday to you all. Some good (but cold) runs out there today. To pipe in on the LR conversation, I run mine on Saturdays with Sunday as a rest day as Sunday is the only day The Hub and I have off together. My long runs are also my only trail runs for the week (unfortunately) with my buddy, Karen. 3 goodly paced miles this a.m. with a 9:44 ap and a154 av HR, then an hour of strength/core. I alternate the upper and lower body exercises, i.e. one set of bicep curls, one set of squats, back to the biceps, back to the squats, etc., and change the combinations each time I work out: Upper Body - Free Weights (2 sets of 15 each) 10 lb. bicep curls 8 lb. shoulder presses 20 lb. overhead lift 8 lb. tricep curls 5 lbs. side lifts 5 lbs. runner arms (2 sets of 50) 10 lbs. - Chest Flies 10 lbs. - Chest Press 20 lbs. Cable Row Lower Body - w/Free Weights (2 sets of 15 each) Bulgarian Lunges - 8 lbs. each hand Squats - 10 lbs. each shoulder Step Downs Single Leg Piston Squats - 8lbs. Calf Raises - 10 lbs. Wall Toe Raises - 10 lbs. held on each thigh Bridges - 10 lbs. Core Side Crunches BOSU Crunches - 15 lbs. BOSU Bicycles BOSU Superwoman Flat Planks - 45 secs Side Planks (both sides - 30 secs)

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Good Morning all! I packed my gym bag and might try and head to the gym after work. I try so hard not to go the gym after work because I feel guilty for not coming right home after work, not having dinner with my husband and son, . . . but I would really like to try and get in a bit longer of a run this week (aside from the longer one I plan to do this weekend). . . . I just want to try and run 5 miles tonight. Usually all I get during the week is 3-4 miles since I try to get in my mid week runs during my lunch hours. I also better plot out my weeks leading up to Seattle R&R . . . is it time to start training yet? Confused

Tammy

Slo

I'm in Spareribs camp with my week starting on Sunday and My long run being the kick-off to my week. I'm running two logs......one old school and the one here at RA.

Marathon Maniac #957

After yesterday’s long run, my lower right leg was sore. It’s kinda like a posterior shin splint but it’s lower – just above the ankle on the inside of my lower leg.
                  I get this occasionally on my left ankle. I think it is the posterior tibial tendon. http://www.arthroscopy.com/nucleus/Tibial1.jpg Karin – you’ll have to tell me about the jack knifes. {{{UMWB}}} Fatozzig – nice workout. I’m always interested in what others are doing.
                  and when it is finally gone I will also have the strongest butt in Dallas! Spareribs
                  So then, SR, will we be justified in calling you a harda$$? Big grin Anybody know what the new "Censor" button is for?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

xor

Holly, you have the censor button because you were declared Potentate, President, Overseer, and Eater of Worlds. Push it and see what it does Big grin Anyway, now that eric has placed you in charge, your interface has changed. You have new toys. Don't cross the streams, though. Not all SRs are hardasses.

TammyinGP

my rant for the day . . . . nextel and home depot lay-off thousands of people and yet still have their millions to go racing on the weekends? And don't get me wrong . . I'm a fan of racing, I enjoy the sport . . but where are the priorities? families are without incomes now, can't pay their bills, afford to keep their homes, etc. and yet those companies still get to go play? I don't get it. . . Sad

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

I'm in Spareribs camp with my week starting on Sunday and My long run being the kick-off to my week. I'm running two logs......one old school and the one here at RA.
                        This may be a small point SLO, but I used to live in NY where the weather was not always nice, as it is here in TX. One reason why I always fest it was best for me to start my week on a Sunday and end it on a Saturday is because many people count on the weekend to do a lot of their running, when work doesn't interfere. That being the case, you can protect your week by making sure your weekend falls into two separate weeks, in case you get zapped by a big storm, or have something come up that takes away your weekend. If something comes up to mess with my Sunday LR for example, I know I still have next Saturday to do it. Spareribs the Hard@ss
                          wildchild I would never (and boy do I mean never!) think to match your running at elevation and along the hills you have! In fact, I found the flattest route in all of WY for my run! Still tough. Air, where is air when you need it? Dead Still had a good time. The scenery is really stunning out your way. Also the snow coming down as you run along a fairly deserted road in the "hole" is something else. CNYrunner good to hear you are close to running again. Good luck when you start your comeback. Mariposai as always thank you for your advice and support. Today is big day number one. I have my MRI at 3:30 (an hour forty-five from now). Then Wednesday I get to find out what it says from the doctor. On a somewhat different note -- Now airlines charge you to lose your luggage! We arrived back in JFK last night at 11:45pm or so. By 1:00am Delta let us know that they did not have any of our luggage. So far as we could tell everybody who started in WY with us was in the same boat. Roll eyes I just checked the on line update and they still have no idea where our luggage is. Great! I knew I should have packed my Garmin in my carry on! Oh well . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I used to do my long run on Saturday when I was first starting out. Seemed to make sense since I was training for a Saturday marathon anyway that first time, and the Higdon beginner schedule had it set up that way. I really didn't know any differently. But now I do the long run on Sundays because of how the more advanced schedules are laid out, and because I'm usually busy doing other family stuff (i.e. mom shuttle) on Saturdays so can't be running all day. I don't go out early like a lot of you folks, so my runs have to be scheduled into the day anyway and it gets tough sometimes, but I'm not getting up at 4 a.m. on Sunday to run in the darkest/coldest time of the day in the winter!! Today is supposed to be "cross training" day, and I usually am pretty good about getting something in there. But today will be full of errands at lunch and shopping after work so it'll be a late evening... meaning I'll probably chalk it up to a rest day. That is a hazard of mid- or late-day running. It's easy to get a schedule squeeze thing happening... ETA: Twocat, that really bites. The first time I had to pay for luggage recently was coming back on Northwest from a trip started on Alaska Airlines (who does NOT charge for the first bag). I was so mad! Angry I asked for a "no loss" guarantee and the gate agent looked at me like I was an idiot.
                              I used to do my long runs on Friday after work when I had little ones at home. It was the only time I could find in my schedule what with coaching and wekend events. Now I like to start my week with a long run on Sundays. I also used Higdons schedules and I think the 30 mile weekends with 10 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday helped me hold a better pace late in my marathon. I hope to be able to do more MP runs on Saturdays this time around. I found last time I just ccould not hold MP Saturday and still have a decent LR Sunday. I ran a MLR on Wednesdays at MP instead but realize that it will beniffit me more on Saturdays. Its always interesting to hear of peoples reasoning for when and how they approach their schedules. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I asked for a "no loss" guarantee and the gate agent looked at me like I was an idiot.
                                I have to remember that line! Big grin

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance