Masters Running

Watchless Wednesday (Read 44 times)

1. First day back at work and I remembered my bag and ID, but forgot my watch ..... oh well, that I can live with!! I have to admit, I did want to sob as I drove over the bridge leaving Maine yesterday and again when my alarm went off this morning, but I have to keep reminding myself I am fortunate to have a well paying job I love!!

Walked the mike from the garage to the hospital.

Make it a great day!!

denise

SteveP

I was out the  door at 4 AM. Jay is rubbing off on me! At mile two I heard a very large animal getting into a garbage can. I decided not to investigate.  There are fairly common in our area. I did what any normal person would do and turned up the psychobilly. The Psycho Deville’s version of “thrills for sure “saved my hide. 5.3 miles in the books.

SteveP

Thanks, Denise.   Steve- large animals in the dark at 4 am- Go the other way!

5.2 miles on the river path.  It’s not all that great.  Lots of bugs that bite and sting if you don’t outrun them!  You don’t dare stop!   Light rain but barely, so I got out there.    Off to some legal training at the distribution center and then journeying home.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

4 easy for me. I wonder if the gym would be a little less humid? The treadmill isn't fun but maybe an occasional break from outside air would make up for it.

I don't know what it means to turn up the psychobilly?

Joe618

Morning all, and all to come!   I so enjoy walking through each day with all of you, thank you!!

Denise, my DW and I cry as well each year when we leave Door County Wisconsin on the way home.   And, like you, I'm grateful for a good job.   Understand totally. 

Steve...must be some ornery possums?? 

Karen, you know how to have fun.   Hope the warehouse training goes well ("Be respectful.   Don't steal stuff."??) .   Enjoy the ride home.

Nice early 4, Dave.   No, it's humid all over.

I had breakfast with a good friend this morning.   Have our monthly free 5K this evening which our local club hosts.   Gonna be warm, well over 90. 

Enjoy the day!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

bioguy

4 miles before the heat and humidity get ugly. I’m meeting a colleague for coffee to discuss the coming school year, then an 11am appt to meet our new principal. This will be #10 in my 24 years of teaching.

Tailwinds

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I don't know what it means to turn up the psychobilly?

" psychobilly" a rock music fusion genre that mixes elements of rockabilly and punk rock.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

anneb

4.7 neighborhood miles for me this morning. Near 💯 % rel humidity everywhere! I stopped at a fountain after about 3 miles which helps. The heat is really supposed to turn up now through the weekend! Fun times.

Dave- when it’s really hot and humid I think the treadmill can be a nice little break from it, as long as it’s cold in your gym.

Have a great day all!

Anne

Dave- when it’s really hot and humid I think the treadmill can be a nice little break from it, as long as it’s cold on your gym.

It was just as bad in the Y as outside this morning. It's an old building, and the cardio room is like a sauna but the free weights and machines room is like a meat locker! 30 minutes on the Matrix "stairway to heaven," 20 minutes of core and then a hot, sweaty 4.5 miles with the Y girls. One of our favorite trails to run on is next to a river here in town. We haven't had any rain for several days, but the water was still over the banks - so deep in some spots we finally had to turn around and finish the run on the road. I haven't seen the water this high in years.

Carolyn - so sorry to hear about your MIL. Prayers for your DH and your families.

The first day back at work is always the hardest, right Deez? Hang in there.

Must be the week for "critters in garbage cans"  Yesterday when we were playing golf, there was a lot of noise coming from a large open garbage can next to one of the tee boxes. When I looked inside (carefully, I might add), there was a raccoon stuck in there. Two of us ladies tipped it over so it could get out. It landed in some tall grass but we didn't see it take off, so we left the garbage can tipped over.  

Hot and humid here today and throughout the rest of the week. I'm trying to store this in my memory bank for next February....

Hope the weather is better where you are today!

dnaff

1 mile with the dog, 2 miles solo.  1 skunk, on the dog portion of course.  It was already road kill but Misha still had to investigate.   And then I mowed the yard.  It wasn't even 8 am yet and all this on only 1 cup of coffee.  See, the heat does strange things to humans!

According to the forecast, I should stay in the house with the a/c on high until Monday.  Hmm...lots of forum time.  I'm glad you all are so entertaining.   Good Wednesday all!!

Jlynne, you snuck in while I was typing....save it for the February memory bank for sure!!

....Good to see Wildchild checking in.....

what's left of Hurricane Barry finally made it up The Plateau

mostly soggy and wet

since

I've done 5-days in a row,

may take a Rest Day

.......Good Running to the rest of ya....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BTY

Good Morning Runners,

Off to the gym at 6:00 AM this morning and this early crowd has me feeling like a real slacker for sleeping in so long. 

Again I hit the weights first, before swimming, like yesterday, but it wasn't so bad that I had to kill time by working my legs first - I was able to get onto the upper back machines with just a little sequence maneuvering, which I think is good for you anyway.   I did rows and then pulldowns instead of pulldowns and then rows.   Walking on the wild side.   I wanted to reduce the weight for arm curls after I couldn't do two full sets with the bar on Monday, but of all the luck, the one I wanted to use was being used by someone else (we use molded barbells so you don't have to rearrange weight plates to get the weight you want).  I felt good on the first set and thought maybe Monday was a statistical blip but wound up falling way short again on the second set.   Oh well.

Swimming was pretty good considering I did the back and biceps workout before swimming.  You do use those muscle groups a lot when you swim, after all.   Today I did 100-yard repeats of breaststroke, backstroke, and crawl and 50-yard repeats of butterfly.  2 sets of that and then 50 yards of just backstroke for 750 yards.  For the record - no flip turns today or yesterday.   I know, I know.   

Have a greta day, Runners!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly/BTY/Steve - thanks for your lap stories

" psychobilly" a rock music fusion genre that mixes elements of rockabilly and punk rock.

If the person asking the question is supposed to understand the answer, glad I didn’t.

I was out the  door at 4 AM. Jay is rubbing off on me! At mile two I heard a very large animal . . .

Steve - me too!, except instead of finishing my planned run, I cut it short at 1.5, . . . and and it didn’t have anything to do with the fact it was raining.
                            Everyone knows how pleasant smells can bring back pleasant memories of the past but do you have any sounds that bring back unpleasant experiences from the past?  

One of mine happened in the summer of 1962 and, until this morning 57 years later, I haven’t heard it since, - the deep, gutteral, growling, short roars almost like a lion clearing its throat of a grizzly sow with slobbering mouth opened wide exposing terrifying bright white incisors canines and red tongue hanging out charging up a small bend on a remote streamside trail a little southwest of erika-land when, during a disagreement with my streamside fish-counting summer aide fisheries partner on the other eide, I crested a small hill in silence instead of hollering out as we always otherwise did for blind spots in the trail and surprised the mama and her two cubs.

So, this morning, still in the j-o’clock darkness also around 4:00 am over at the nearby Hillside Park, with my headlamp on bright with new batteries and just-charged 1,000 lumen bike lamp in my hand, while working up a slight sweat about half way through huffing-and-puffing in-and-out and around-and-about the three miles of interconnecting trails, all-of-a-sudden, there is a short, almost roar-like growl around the corner ahead of me so pulled up to a halt and called out, “hello, h..e..l..l...o” to avoid surprising the heck out of each other to whomever was up there with their dog, maybe a big mastiff or St. Bernard or something.

When nobody answered, without realizing why, cold goosebumps instantaneously covered me from arms to heels and, as I backed up wondering if someone was going to answer, a cold sweat began emerging on my brow and my breath became shorter than its ever become from my current version of “running.”   I retreated looking backward to make sure I was alone to the trailhead without incident but won’t be surprised to read about a misplaced black bear somehow got onto the island.  Either way, it will be a long time, if ever, that I go Hillside Trail running in the dark.    I’m still shaking.
                            Whew.
                            ps - nope, same as with my parents in those days, I won’t be mentioning it to DW.
                            ps bear escape- actually, (1) with a friend having been mauled badly a couple of years before on a hike that I was scheduled for but, to my then dismay, my parents came up with other plans for me that weekend and (2) my parent’s friend killed when I was in grade school, I knew, without a doubt, that I was going to die too but, as I turned away to curl up fetal on the side of the trail, I grabbed onto the lower bark on the massive trunk of a big cottonwood tree and was only high enough up barely to be grabbing a hold of the first big branch, the angry sow shot around the base as if I were not even there or even giving me an upward glance (though we’d’ve been face-to-face if she’d’ve stood up as they often do) and went back to her cubs.  

My scared-to-death for me too fish counting summer fisheries aide partner across the creek saw the entire incident but, though it saved my life, neither of us could manage to make our way high enough up to grab the first branch when we tried later to do it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

pfriese

Good morning.

Rest day for me today.

Yesterday was the day I have been dreading for awhile. Updating & remodeling began yesterday. Our upstairs is the target of updating now. I spent most of yesterday relocating furniture, clothing, and stuff. I certainly got my stairs in yesterday. Carpets were ripped up yesterday & continuing today. Painting will commence tomorrow. When the upstairs is finished, the downstairs will begin... ugh.

Paul

anneb

Good luck Paul. I thought 'ugh...' just reading this.

Good morning.

Rest day for me today.

Yesterday was the day I have been dreading for awhile. Updating & remodeling began yesterday. Our upstairs is the target of updating now. I spent most of yesterday relocating furniture, clothing, and stuff. I certainly got my stairs in yesterday. Carpets were ripped up yesterday & continuing today. Painting will commence tomorrow. When the upstairs is finished, the downstairs will begin... ugh.

Paul

Anne