Masters Running

Wednesday January 14 Runs, walks, rests and everything else ..... (Read 579 times)

Enke glad that you converted, definately have that checked to find out the source...A fib better than V fib.......When my milage gets up there I start to throw Preventricular Contractions (PVC's) which although can be quite alarming are totally benign and in my case a byproduct of being in good shape. I hope that it is the same with you a benign case of cardiac wireing that can be easily managed. I wish you well, but I would lay off running till your Physician gives you the thumbs up. My running day is just begining even though the rack spit me out at 5 am for no reason. Normally I sleep till the alarm says get up. Today I did push ups and abdominal exercises to pass the time. I will run 8 or 9 in a little bit on the treadmill. Even though it's not brutally cold here in Virginia, I still am going to take the treadmill. Take care all Karl
      Okay, you've already moved to my "Hero" list.
      Ha! not the first time that's happened. Part of being a Dad. My DW gets the worst of it by being home with them all day while I'm at work. Indulge me my funny story: Years ago, my then 5 year-old (now 8) daughter woke up sick in the night and I ran to her room to rush her to the bathroom. We made it to the hallway. I was covered in puke. After getting her (and myself) cleaned up and back to bed, her younger sister woke up all upset over the commotion. So she climbed into bed with my wife and me. I woke up in the morning feeling all wet. Yep, she had wet the bed next to me. All I could think to say to my wife (who I met in college) was, "Ya know, the last time I got puked on in the wee hours of the morning and then woke up in a puddle of pee was under very different circumstances."
      Sorry, I haven't noticed before now.....a really big Welcome to George Smile BTW, I am the forum Clown and idiot Big grin TimBo
      Thanks for the welcome. Clowns and idiots are cool. Big grin

Marathon Maniac #957

No running either since last week as I am officially on the DL and have been too blue to say much about that.
        Oh Karin - so sorry to hear that, but hopefully it is something that will heal quickly. You are so right that we must remember the long view. If you are still not running when you come out to Dayton, no problem - we'll just get together for coffee, and/or breakfast. {{{quick healing hugs}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, are you teasing me?
          Depends if you are married or not WinkBig grin TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Enke—I feel your pain, panic, and everything else to go along with the joy of atrial fibrillation. And the first major attack scares the $hit out of you. My first major one happened to be while I was in Abu Dhabi doing a startup about 6 years ago. Under a lot of stress, which was greatly increased by being all by your self in a foreign country and wondering why your heart is trying to jump out of your chest. Fortunately I was very close to a very good hospital (oil money can be good for some things) and was able to see US trained cardiologist who got my fib shut down without having to get cardioverted (shocked) I’ve never had that, thank God. Since then, it’s been in pretty decent control with a couple of different meds. Most of the time I did the “pill in the pocket” method by having an anti-rhythmic to take when the a-fib started. It would generally clear within in a couple of hours. My episodes were getting to be more frequent (a natural progression, I guess) and over the past 5 months, I’ve been taking the same pills daily which had cut back the episodes dramatically. Two Sundays ago I started what I thought was another, so took the extra pills to make it go away and it didn’t. It's been around since then and I’ve had a couple of EKGs and a visit with my cardio since and I now have an additional atrial “flutter” to add to the fun. I’m now in line to get an atrial ablation on both sides to deal with both the flutter and the fib. I’m certainly no expert, but have lived with this for years and if you’d like any further opinions, info, or to commiserate on feeling like crap, I’d be happy to talk via e-mail if you don’t want to bore folks on the board. kameele at chi engineering (all one word) dot com. The (relative) good news is that this hasn’t affected my running in the past and my docs have encouraged me to continue. I’m hoping this works out for you too. It's a sucky feeling, but at least short term episodes are not terribly dangerous. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Craneium, I hope your dad's OK! You're in our thoughts. Enke, sounds like you had a scary experience! The same thing happened to a friend of mine after running the Bolder Boulder (10K). She had to spend the night in the hospital but was fine afterward. Sounds like both Tim and Kevin are all too familiar with this as well. CNYrunner, nice to see you posting again, but sooo sorry you're on the DL. Get better soon, OK? TimBo, so glad to hear your foot's feeling better. Hope you get to enjoy a short easy run very soon! Handymom, what on earth are "paint on running pants?" Tights? I wear regular long underwear under my running pants in cold weather - the same type I wear under ski pants. Nice intervals for Bill (garmin-less), SloHand (16 400's?), Mariposai, and Enke (before feeling bad). George, cute story about your kids. It's a nice day in Denver, 42F and sunny. The sidewalks around my office complex are pretty clear, but I don't like running on concrete, so I opted to do a trail run in yaktrax. In hindsight, I should have picked the concrete. Sad The trail was slippery, slushy, and very uneven, with lots of bumpy footprints and bike tracks. I did 4 miles at a blazing 12mm pace. It was supposed to be an easy paced run but there was nothing easy about it - probably because I had to pick my feet up a lot to get through the slush and over the bumpy snow. Oh, well, nice day to be outside.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

... Frank Shorter and many other top runners swore by doing tons of 400's so who am I to argue. The trick to that workout however is to not do them at such a fast pace, and keep the recovery short. This is why I asked busiman last night to talk more about his workout, and I'll post some comments about that workout and yours later today. ... Spareribs
                As always I'd be interested in any sage feedback on intervals. I typically do intervals with the team. We do a warm up, 4 miles of intervals, then cool down. The intervals are usually 800-1200 and run at 5k pace or 'slightly' under. When running 800s I'll be in the 2:45-2:50 range, where 5K pace would be 2:58. I work mostly on staying relaxed and keeping the best form I can. If I think form is getting sloppy I slow down. The rest period is a percentage of the time of the interval 800s are 90 seconds. For speed work of 1400 - 3200 we do similar things but at 10k pace.
                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                also on Twitter
                TammyinGP

wow Enke - that is very scary! I'm glad it turned out okay and you were close to your doc's office and had the intuition to know that you needed medical attention, rather than just going home and letting it subside . . . which is what I envision myself doing in that situation Roll eyes . . . but about these firemen . . . Blush I ran a bit yesterday, just 3 mi on the TM and have been busy at work today so wasn't able to get to the gym again. Sat in on a murder trial all morning and would love to sit in this afternoon also, but guess I should get some work done. Have a good day everyone.

Tammy

. . . but about these firemen . . . Blush
                    That was kind of the silver lining, being surrounded by 4 healthy, handsome and charming men. And they seemed to know more about what was going on than the doctors. Stumpy, I will email you once I get some results. Sorry to hear that your a fib has been worse. I read the newbie thread before I posted today to hear your story. I am sure you will feel so much better after the surgery. Hang in there. I'm feeling better than last night. I was late getting the kids to the bus and we all had to run there, which was the last thing I thought I should do...but everything was fine. I wonder if I'll be allowed to do intervals again....too bad, I really enjoyed the speed. Tim - I had panic attacks for about a year, long time ago, and "mind over matter" got over them. Glad they could never find anything wrong with your pounding heart. Thanks everyone.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Enke, I am sorry you had such a scare and difficult experience. Now you can get some help with it however. I hope this works out okay for you. Tim, she's married and her husband's a big strong guy. Spareribs
                        There's too many people needing healing wishes and support on this thread today. Enke - that must have been a frightening experience. I'm glad you're okay and please take it easy until you get the green light from your docs. Cranium - any news about your dad? Good luck. Karin - I hope your time on the DL is brief. It's so great to see you post every now and then. Dg - regarding core exercises: Runner's World Magazine has a great piece on it in their February issue. You might want to check it out.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, she's married and her husband's a big strong guy. Spareribs
                          Whew, I thought you were going to tell me jdmom3 is a dude...much like when I thought lame was a guy Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Wow, Enke....I'm glad you got to the dr. right away and are now OK.!....get it all check out and once you get the OK from the cardiologist, we've a runnning date pending!!! We've got a good friend who is a cardiologist at Overlake, email me if you want his name. 5 slow miles for me today......grey PNW day... Frncesca
                              Just thought I'd poke my head in and say hi but wow! I hope everyone here that is going through tough times be it medical or personal have better days and only good news from now on. {{{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}}} to all of you. Erika, How is the foot after Disney? I need to read your RR. Tim, Great news on the AT ! Now for the broken toes to heal I have been logging a few miles but mostly on the treadmill. I am looking for a decent day for a long run but not looking good this weekend either. Its not just the below zero temps its that the shoulders of the roads are not cleared well and its just dangerous out there. 3.2 on the treadmill at the gym then some ab and upper body work. That is one good thing about going to the gym I have been doing my weight training on a regular basis again. Stay or get healthy everyone, My thoughts are with all of you Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Wednesday - 4.02 easy miles - 34:03 - (8:29) - 14 degrees, breezy and partly cloudy 8:27 - 8:29 - 8:29 - 8:27 - :11