Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 03/20 (Read 446 times)

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. ["Self-Pity" by D.H. Lawrence]

I've always loved that quote.

Rest day today, except for 20 min of core.  Am in a mini taper for my 50k on Sunday.  Same place as last month, different organization.  Am watching the weather closely as so far it looks like it's suppose to rain - again. Undecided

Have a great week, friends ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Well I feel stupid now.... remember last week I ordered the Nathan vest and it showed up in my Roadrunner Sports shopping cart for $17.99? Well, the website goofed on me... got the package in the mail today, and it wasn't the vest... was the Nathan Shadow Pack instead... which I'm sure is a great product, but considering I already have the SPIbelt, I really don't need another one. I SWEAR it was the Intensity Vest that I had put in the shopping cart.... boo...

Anyway, I've been a bit preoccupied lately, I do have to apologize. Had a biopsy last week and got the results today. Abnormal cell growth, but it's in situ, so it's the curable form of BC, not that horrible. I'm just hoping that the surgery schedule doesn't interfere with my upcoming races (yes, Carol, I do have a couple; it was you that asked, yes?): half marathon on April 3 and Ragnar Relay on May 13-14. I'm more worried about being post-op and having to forfeit the relay, since that's a big deal for me. I go see the breast surgeon on Thursday. breathe, breathe....

{{{Intense Hugs to you OM}}}.  We're dealing with that with my SIL right now.  I love your attitude - Do not interfere with the race schedule! Evil  Perfect! Big grin

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

OM - glad to hear the prognosis is good and that you've got your priorities right! Damn straight you need to make it to those races!! Big grin

Leslie - enjoy that mini-taper. You're really going to be well-trained for rain running Roll eyes

Gotta run to class...

Ex runner

jfa

Yep, we all know what's really important around here. Good luck Esther.

Leslie-maybe you'll catch a break this time and it will only rain for the last 20 miles or so.

Arla- I'm no longer real concerned with all those miles. Just as you are doing so well , I'm just looking to change it up.

3.5m with the furry guy ,then 6.5m solo tonight. Just booked a flight for visiting sister and Dad in Fla in 2 weeks. Forecast of 85* and sunny sure sounds fine to me after this winter. Oh yea!

Yep, we all know what's really important around here. Good luck Esther.

OM....Can't say it any better than Joe.....  Be well OM.  Smile

Joe....enjoy FLA

Lesli....when training for past marathons, I would often comment to myself (and anybody else I thought might be listening) that should it be windy on race day, I'll be better prepared than the othr runnrs due to my "wind" training.  Same goes with your "rain" training.  Knock 'em down Les.

Arla....been thinking about your comment about the scary wild mushrooms...........You posted a picture similar to this one a while back. 

Now THIS is scary!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              OrangeMat

MM #6177

Now THIS is scary!

Yes! This is what I want to do, thanks for reposting the photo, Ev. I'll bookmark it and show it to MrOM. Now that our kids are virtually out of the house (DS is in college and DD is a junior), we're almost able to plan and go on vacations outside of the school vacation schedule AND outside of the kids' interests.

Thanks again for all your good thoughts, everyone. I woke up this morning feeling pretty positive about things. A new day and new opportunities. Of course I also woke up with a new injury Confused ... my left hip flexor seems to have lost all function and I can't lift my left knee straight up in front without quite a bit of pain. What fresh hell is this??? I went to yoga class last night, so it must've been something I did there. Queen of the overefforters, that's me. [sigh] At least my right hamstring isn't aching anymore like it was when I was driving home, so that's an improvement... Roll eyes

Yup, a new day and new opportunities.

Hmm, took some Advil and I can now lift my knee out to the side, no pain. Straight in front still feels "wrong". Guess hills are off the schedule for today....

Have a great day, folks!

What fresh hell is this???

Big grin

Yeah, I don't think I could do that climb up Half Dome.  Well, maybe up, but not down.  I have a tendency at extreme heights to feel like I'm going to hyperventilate.  Especially if there's a real possibility I could plunge to my death at any moment.

Lack of sleep + achy hips and low back + buckets of rain all combined to keep me inside this a.m.  As least those are the excuses I'm using.  Plus I'm just pooped.  Been working on a big transcription project at home, too.  I'm figuring 4 little miles won't derail my run this coming weekend.  Although, if I'd read Ev's post earlier I may have been more willing to embrace my inner rain runner and go ahead and tackle it. Wink

Happy Toosday to ya'll ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey!  psssst: don't squeal on me but, I'm slackin' on my housework right now! Wink Big grin

Good Luck, Esther! Great attitude!! (will keep you in my prayers anyway - just 'cause! Wink)  Sorry about the Nathan thing...I was thinking that it couldn't possibly be that vest for that price...I got mine with a "Diva Night" coupon for about 45...the hand helds are around 16-20

Well, Leslie...there are different types of strength training...looks like a little bit of humidity should be a non-issue to you verrrry soon! Wink ...still saying you could always come run the hills here...abt 10% humidity here today...& it IS snowing @ upper elevations! Kewl!

What kind of "changing up" are you thinking, Joe? hmmm, trail shoes have anything to do with it??

Ev - we've been calling our wind training "Kansas Hills"....maybe we should change up the terminology!? Big grin

I've not been getting rock n rolling with my chores today yet...feeling a little creaky from the 20+ of yesterday...but, not too bad! just lazy!!! Now, to be honest, I split the run into two segments...did 3.3 w/Mairead whilst Doug was busy doing other things, then a short/quick errand THEN went for the other 17 - mid-day at nearly 70*F!! UGH!  if it weren't for the slight breeze, I may have suffered a bit more in the heat! Holy Carp! I forgot how to dress for that! guess I need to rootle around in storage for some shorts already! Gotta love Colorado, because I could still go snowboarding today! in fact, as my car sits right now (covered in hwy grime) with a mtn bike on the back, snowboard & boots right beside my salomon running shoes & hydration pack inside the back! Wink  

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Lack of sleep + achy hips and low back + buckets of rain all combined to keep me inside this a.m.  As least those are the excuses I'm using. 

These always work for me!

Wow, Mtn......20 miles....very nice.  I love the description of your car......"my car sits right now (covered in hwy grime) with a mtn bike on the back, snowboard & boots right beside my salomon running shoes & hydration pack inside the back! "

3 easy miles for me.

oh yeh.......embrace the fresh hell.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      OrangeMat

MM #6177

oh yeh.......embrace the fresh hell.

Big grin

Queen of 3rd Place

Om - seems like when one little achy goes another one comes to take its place. Ahhh...middle age!

Cindy - wtg on the 20, maybe a little housework for cross-training, nice!

Joe - as they say, it's the journey. You have such a strong base I think you can do whatever you want in any direction, or heck just enjoy the running for what it is.

Ev - I thought for sure Half Dome would be a no-go, that I'd wait at the bottom for my friends and enjoy a picnic. Turns out it wasn't bad at all. HOWEVER, Sub-dome, the little knob that you climb to get to the bottom of Half Dome, that scared the carp outta me on the way up! Many other people have told me they had the same experience.

Anyone who wants to do Half Dome should know that cable tickets go on sale a few months ahead of time, I think they're $5 a pop. The tickets are now required 7 days a week, not just on weekends. There's another to get up there without the tickets, but it involves an overnight backpack and an early morning sneak assault.

Easy 4 today - feeling tired, just sleepy from the late night class followed by the early am class. Sleepy

Ex runner

Arla - What's your running schedule look like for the next coupla weeks?  How's the new vest working out?  Are you getting excited?? 

Nice description of your car contents, Cindy.  Is there a bathing suit in there, as well?  With temps at 70, you could also take yourself into the nearest river for a nice - albeit probably pretty doggone chilly - dip.  (Chilly dip, not chili dip)

Ev - Big grin

4 miles for me this a.m., 1 EZ, 2 RP, 1 EZ on pretty sproinky legs.  I think the Garmin said I had a 9:26 av pace.  Felt good.  Had the wind full in my face on the last mile, and it was blowing pretty good.  I was back in the house about 20 min when Mother Nature decided to cut loose with a full on wind, rain, hail, thunder, and lightening storm for about 15-20 minutes.  The whole house shook as the storm went over the top  of us.  I thought it was pretty cool, but the cats weren't as appreciative.  The three that were in the house made a mad dash for under the bed.  I looked under there and all you could see were three sets of big, round, glowing eyes.

Since Sunday, my left calf has been tightening up on me whenever I stop moving my legs for a few minutes.  I've been doing some self-massage and stretching, but it seems fairly PO'd.  Interesting. Confused

Have a great Hump Day ~

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie -my calves sometimes do that but it doesn't affect the running, sounds like it's the same for you if you're feeling sproinky?

Planning a 20 - 22 on Sunday to make it just over 60 mi for this week, should hit 60 again next week, concluding with the Bataan Memorial Death March (marathon) that's supposed to be trail-ish with deep sand and some not-insignificant climbs. Then it's taper-time for two weeks. Not sure how to taper for a 50, Confused  but I sure don't want to show up with dead legs like I did for Vegas.

Tried out the Nathan and it's my new favorite thing! 2 liters was never so easy to carry, plus room for a phone, car keys, and God Bless America an entire sandwich in one front pocket and a Lara Bar in the other. The bite valve works way better than the Camelback version, the whole thing is sooo comfy, and there's room for more stuff if you want to really load it up!

Mark and I did a rainy 15+ today with about 2400 ft of climbing, rocks, slippery mud, and skittish cows...and for some reason it was a total blast! We hurried back to my place where Mark was able to beat the rush and sign up for Pikes Peak, said it's been a dream for him since college.

Ex runner

Arla - If it helps, two weeks out from LD, I have the following:

Sat/Sun - 16/10

Mon - Rest/Core

Tues - 3 Miles OR 30 min stationary cycling

Wed - 5 Miles - no speed work.  just run

Thurs - See Tues

Fri - Rest

Sat/Sun - 8/5

Mon - Rest

Tues - 4 Miles - 1 EZ, 2 RP, 1 EZ

Wed - 3 Miles - 1 EZ, 1 RP, 1 EZ

Thurs - Rest

Fri - 3 Miles - EZ

Sat - Shocked

I've been stretching my calf all day and walking barefoot, and it's helping.  I need to use the rolling pin on it tonight, if I can't get The Hub to work it over.

Pikes Peak - My buddy, Karen, and I think we should double-team it.  She can go up (her strong point), and I'll go down (my strong point). Smile

And I knew you'd like the Nathan!

BTW - When you run AR, don't forget to (1) take some baby wipes in a baggy "just in case."  Shove it in with your water bladder; and (2) carry a ziploc sandwich baggy to put food in.  You can fill it up quickly at the aid stations and eat it while you're walking out.  I have butterflies in my stomach for you! Big grin

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance