Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 01/09 (Read 524 times)

Life has no smooth road for any of us; and in the bracing atmosphere of a high aim the very roughness stimulates the climber to steadier steps, till the legend, over steep ways to the stars, fulfills itself.

(W. C. Doane)

Jim - That does sound like quad buster!  Bet it works on the ole gluteous maximus, too.

Carol - Hope the shnoz cooperates.

Arla - Have fun with the taper, and especially the massage!   I'm still having slight neck issues from my "massage" a couple of weeks ago.

The hill climbing technique.  When climbing, you're suppose to use the front half of your foot, not just the toes.  Of course, you have to take into consideration the incline.  What Kate has found out that when walking, if you take very small steps, land on the front half of your foot then immediately put your heel down, it's less of a leg buster.  It's going to take some practice, but it definitely takes the pressure off the calf.

As far as refueling between back to backs, another leson learned today. My big mistake was not refueling properly yesterday, but it's so hard for me to eat after my LRs.  Second mistake - not eating before I left for my run this morning.  I was hungry when I got up, and I should've at least had some toast.  Anyway, because I was hungry, I set my Garmin timer to go off every 15 minutes, at which time I would eat 1/4 of a banana, a Clif shot blok, and drink my fluids.  Around Mile 8.5, I had to go to the bathroom pretty bad, but nowhere to go.  Around Mile 10, I knew I was near a friend's house and I stopped, unfortunately, I saw no sign of life.  Ended up having to dive into the woods.  My stomach, however, refused to cooperate, even though I tried to get more food down, and I thought I was going to keep having bathroom issues (which I did).  Once I got to Safeway, I called The Hub to come get me 'cause from that point, there isn't a public bathroom to be had for almost 4 miles.

While I was waiting for The Hub to come get me, I bought a banana and sat on a pallet of wood stove pellets outside the store and ate it, even though it was really hard.  I was so pissed at myself and felt so horrible, I'm embarrassed to admit I even cried a little bit.

If it wasn't for my stomach and bowels, I know I could've made the 4 miles home.  My legs were really tired, but they weren't  done.  It's been hard to eat the whole day.  I only have 3 months to figure this out.  I have to come to grips with this soon.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I don't get that hill climbing method, but of course you're on very different hills than I am.

I have made the not eating before long run mistake with a bad outcome. For me the trick is eating a little, not too much. Amazing the difference a bit of toast with peanut butter makes vs. nothing - you wouldn't think so for 20 mi what good is a little toast but there ya go! As for the eating after, I find that something liquid helps alot - this is just me - but milk with ovaltine or similar (lots of carbs + protein) goes down pretty easy even if you're feeling like anything in your stomach is not a good idea. But you are doing more extreme stuff than I am and I suspect you're going to have to do more experimenting.

Ah, a little cry in frustration (hug) - I think that's part of the experience in a way - I mean finding something that pushes you to that point - sort of why we do this, to test ourselves, I think we're actually looking for that edge of the world. I know you know what I mean.

Later,

Arla

Ex runner

Good morning,

Ugh....Monday already, back to reality.

Leslie, you'll figure it out as far as the refueling goes. You are putting in some serious LR's and you will find the right refueling method that works for you. You're doing great!

Arla, what race are you tapering for?

Record breaking temps this week. I got up and ran a couple of miles in 32* and froze my butt off. Tomorrow is suppose to be in the high 20's. I will NOT be running tomorrow.

Gotta get moving and head to work so have a great day and waves to everyone!

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

20s in Florida?? I didn't think it got that cold in Florida!  Geez, Jewels, you're ruining my whole idea of your state.   Good job on the coupla miles.

Arla - I almost always drink a big glass of milk with Ovaltine after my LRs.  However, a mistake I am making is not getting anything in for almost an hour after my Saturday runs.  So I am going to start taking a bottle of Boost with  me, as well as some kind of sandwich to drink and munch on my drive home.  Then it'll be forcing myself to eat about every half an hour after that.

Saturdays before I run, I get up 1 1/2 to 2 hours before I run and eat a bowl of oatmeal.  On Sunday, I just didn't want to get up that early.  Unfortunately, that ain't gonna cut it.  I definitely need to eat something before I go out.

Anyhoo, we'll see how it goes.  Today's a rest day for me.  I got to sleep in to 6:00, when my 4-legged hairy alarm kept going off.

Have a good week ~

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

8.5 for me yesterday, longest since the Vegas race in IRC for Nebraska in January. I am definitely slower in colder conditions if that is possible.  Tommorow last "warm day(32)  then sub zero by wednesday night.

Arla I assume the PaHOnix race is a rock and roll? We talked about doing that (half ONLY) as they reduced rates and more swag the more R&R's you do but decided us low mileagers needed more of a break in between and of course the obvious spending money thing. 

Leslie hope you get your nutrition thing figured out. Every runner is basically a study of one especially at the extremes, ie ya gotta find out what works for you. Just treat it as a learning experience, not failure. With your perseverance its only a matter of time before you get it figured out. On the hill climb thing my at skis have a heel lift that you pop up when going uphill, similar principle I guess. I had achilles tendonitis so bad last winter I really appreciated it.

Jewels don't spose there is much for winter run clothes in Florida. My great uncle lived in Miami, my folks went to visit and about froze one winter as they didn't take any warm clothes and his house wasn't heated and the air was humid.

Joe i am gonna be treadmill shopping if stays as cold as its supposed to be at the end of the week. Course if we ever got one it would last a loooong time as no 15 mile runs for me.

Carol sending healthy vibes

Cindy how much snow ya spose to get in Breck this week? Rocks covered yet? Backcountry is extremely avalanchey now.

Ev Hiya, spose you'll get the cold wave bout thurs huh?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

My O' my you are up early Jim.....I guess that's what farmers do! Nice 8.5 miler for you. As long as I have my beanie and my gloves I'm good to go.....

Sorry to ruin your visions of Florida Leslie, but it is cold as all get up right now. As of last night the coldest of the air is taking its time getting to us and won't arrive until Friday or Saturday now. They are saying 28* for Saturday morning. Northern Florida should be in the teens. It is 38* right now.....it is actually warmer now then it was this time yesterday morning. Weird I tell ya, weird.....

Hello to everyone and have a great day!

Jewels

Hey Evryone. 

Leslie....despite the fuel issue you're having....you're still gettin' it done.  What an adventure you're on!

Hey Jewels.......great to hear from you.  Nice running in that cold weather. 

NIce run, Jim.  Yes, the really cold weather is supposed to come in on Thurs, I believe.  LMD says, "You're not going out there to run!"        I guess I need to get her some Tim Tams.

Hey Arla.......Hey Joe......Hey Stumpy and Carol and Mtn and evryone else.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

I guess I need to get her some Tim Tams.

You have until March! (or so I hear . . .)  The Hub finished off one of my packs Sunday night.   Guess he's forgotten that we don't share absolutely everything.

Jim - What the heck were ya doin' up at 2:50 a.m.?? Or maybe that's 2:50 a.m. my time, which would be 4:50 a.m. your time??

Jewels - Remind me to not visit you during the winter.

After an interesting day yesterday and evening with stomach issues and a headache, I'm feeling much better today.  Got in my 30 min of cycling and 30 min of TRX-ing.  For a couple of the exercises, I barely have enough room in my little workout shop.  I'm really liking the core-specific exercises.  By the time I'm done with the whole thing, my back and stomach muscles are pleasantly pooped.

Have a great one, my friends ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

4.3 miles this evening in my at ski clothes. Not terribly cold but the breeze woulda made it chilly with reg run stuff. I bumped it ahead a day cause looks like 5 deg or less until sat.yuk! I had to take dad to the doc so decided to have her look at my shoulder while I was there. She thought just inflamation, I can do pt if I want but ibu and rest for now.

Yaa I was up at 3:59 our time which is mtn time. Actually got up at 3 couldn't sleep stayed up until 6 fell back asleep til 7. It started last summer a by product of our summer of disaster(storms, planter, irrigation systems, losing my dog etc.) when I would wake at that time in a cold sweat wondering how I was going to make it all work out. Now I can sleep in a bit but during the late summer and fall I just stayed up alot of the time.

LOL Ev, ya timtams for marital bliss...............Methinks Tiger better buy several cases............

I have continuing ed to maintain my pesticide operators liscense tommorow in the big town. Hopefully they will let me out early enough to get some repair and maintenance parts for the equipment.

I posted a link to a photographer guy that does old tin type photos of country scenes and portraits of farm and ranch individuals and families in there everyday clothes (no costumes), then deleted it cause it wasn't very run related but this lifestyle and heritage is a part of me so I am reposting. Turns out I know several of them including my old 8th grade teacher (female in the portraits section) that returned home to run the ranch. Alot of folks would be very suprised to know those scenes still exist. Here is the link if ya want to look.

http://www.guildner-photo.com/index.php?gallery=lives_of_tradition

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Very cool pics Jim and yep, that's who you are. One of the great things about these forums is we get to share how folks live in different parts of this country(and world) of ours. I look at you and your neighbors as the heart and backbone of this country ,and those pics bring that out quite well.

Time to bundle on up Jewels! My in-laws are snowbirds in Ft Meyers but have yet to fly south this year.Might be warmer to stay up here! hope the crops down there are ok.

Arla- Good luck in Phoenix and it sounds like you're cranking up your marathon sked. I have to pick a spring race soon, you know how they fill up. I'm thinking about the Monkey in the fall, or maybe Marine Corps (or both).

Good looking runs for you Ev , you're next race is a spring half? Or the OKC Marathon? Round 2 coming up on Sat night. I would have to give the edge to the Cowboys but I'm just hoping for a good game. Half the Giants defensive coaching staff received their walking papers today.Good riddance to them.Now if they can fire some of the slackers players.

Leslie- you'll figure it out about the refueling stuff.How about plain potato's like Kelly eats?Seem to be some good carbs and easy on the tummy.

Hope Cindy's not snowbound up there! Hi to Everyone...

11m tonight. First 7 @ 9:50,then 4 more @ 8:27 .70* ,dry ,no wind. Enjoyed an episode of Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune  ,then College Bowl pre-game.Run was over with before I realized it started. Hot sauna afterward. As Carol would say (hiya Carol), it's a new season of running and a little different flavor is helping to motivate me. 

So Mother Nature decided not to wait to send us the real blast of cold air. It is 28* out right now. I just peeked outside and my daughters windshield is frozen over. I think I've only seen that once or twice before in all the years I've lived here.

In a couple of weeks we should be back up to about 70* during the day and around 50* at night. Leslie, then you can come visit.

Nice run Jim, that is some cold, cold weather you are receiving. Hope you get some well deserved rest/sleep. Situations like that can eat away at you. Going to go check out your link of pics now.....

MTA: Just checked out the pics, really, really cool Jim. Such a different way of life then I have ever seen or lived. Talk about character, just look at their faces.

Heading North to Joe's house for some warmer weather. What is up with that? Great run for you followed by an evening of relaxation!

So Ev, are you going to run in that cold weather?

So just curious, what is the lowest temp you have ever run in?

My 2 daughters and I signed up for DWD (Dances With Dirt) about a month ago. It is over on the West Coast of Florida in Dade City. This race is only offered in 4 states and Florida was just added last year! Looks challenging and looks like a lot of fun. The 3 of us can run 3 miles right now and hope to be at about 5 when Feb 13th gets here. We will walk some of the "stupid sections" of the course and stick together the whole way. The shortest distance is the half marathon so that is what we are running. I already have reservations to stay over for 2 nights! Can't wait......

Hello to everyone and have a nice day......

Jewels

Jim.....love those photographs.  The photographer does an excellent job in capturing the feel.  Glad you posted it.  Hey, if I wanted to talk/read about running, I'd go to a running forum.  Oh....wait a minute......nevrmind.

Nice running for you.  Cold yet?  Tomorrow the really cold stuff moves in.  Supposed to be around 7 in the morning with 20-30 mph winds. 

Joe....about the Giants (and most evrything else in life)....better days ahead.  NIce run and I love me some Jeopardy and Wheel Of.  I'm gearing up for a late Feb 25K, then the OKC Marathon in late April.  Thanks for asking.

Leslie....I remember several months ago, you were embarking on changing your physique.   I've been reading daily about your xtraining and core workouts etc.   So.....how's it going?  I mean hows the change in appearance coming along?  Are you happy with the results so far?  You're knocking me out with your hard core workouts.  Continued success to you.

Jewels.....I should have ran yesterday, but didn't.  I had a slightly sore knee left ovr from Sundays run.  Feel like a million bucks this morning and (quietly whispers) do plan to run this afternoon.  That is as long as it's not unbearable.  I have run when it was in the teens serveral times.  One time in particular the wind was howling and the wind chill had to be in the single digits.  I find that after about 1/4 to 1/2 mile, I just don't feel cold at all.  Farmer Jim calls it, "Gettin' up to operating temperature."  And he's right about that.   The very cold requires (for me at least) starting out with 2 pairs of gloves and a stocking hat face mask.  After a few miles one pair of gloves come off and the face mask goes up and down depending on if I'm running with or against the wind.  I have had instances where the snow would crust up around the opening of the face mask and cause freezing against my skin.  But othr than that I think it's a hoot to get out in those conditions.  As long as your careful and play it safe by keeping exposed skin covered.  Also, one can't over look the fact that it can be dangerous being out in those conditions should something out of the ordinary happen. 

Jewels, it's great that you and DDs are planning this DWD event.  Sounds like great fun. Can you explain a little bit about the race....you've got my curiosity up.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

You guys are making me cold. Brrr! It's been mid-40s night and day, and foggy/cloudy for what seems like forever and it's getting really old.

Jim - cool pics, thanks, a real treat. I have ridden many backroads in the US, you really need to get off the interstate to appreciate people and places across this land, and yes it's all still there! My secret to out of town marathons: find friends to stay with! Phoenix is otherwise pricey this time of year.

Jewels - planning a HM in the dirt! Wow ambitious! Sounds fun!

Joe - nice fast runs for ya - guess the cold will motivate you to get a move on...I'm also thinking of Marine Corps, btw, have a friend who lives in the DC area who has also run it before, now I just need to talk him into doing yet another marathon this year!

Leslie - I think I speak for many of us when I say you make me feel like a slacker!  Oh, and digestive biscuits, mmm... a weakness of mine. Don't get me started on tim tams...I already earned a little holiday flab...

Getting some fun, shorter runs in, had a fast tempo 6 mi on Monday, easy Tuesday, mid-long today, easy rest of week, then 6 mi race on Saturday. Anyone see any problem with going out hard on Saturday, considering my marathon is 8 days later?

Looks like we'll have temps pushing 70 in Phoenix next week...ahhh...and sunshine...

Happy hump day!

Arla

Ex runner

Ola!

10 miles with strides this a.m. in wet, muggy conditions.  My face was as red as a tomato by the time I got done.  Finished in 1:36, which surprised the heck outta me.  Figured it'd be at least 5 min slower.  The time doesn't include 2 bathroom stops and 2 or 3 inhaler use stops.  The muggy weather really messes with my asthma.  Running along, "Cripes, I can't breath. . . . oh wait!  (suck on inhaler)  Bettah now!"

Jim - I LOVED the pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

Ev - How's your son's shoulder mending?

Joe - We love Jeopardy.  Do you remember Wheel of Fortune when they used to give away items instead of money? I always wanted to be on there so I could win some "stuff."

Arla - Good luck in Phoenix!  And don't get me turned on to even more excellent cookies.  That's just not right.

Jewels - The Dances with Dirt - Sounds like you and your girls are going to have a blast.

To answer some questions - The physique hasn't been changing as fast and in such a manner as I would like.  Anybody know the secret to getting rid of the belly bulge?  That's the most irritating part.  I just don't know how I can burn so many frigging calories, eat as healthy as I do (well, except for the Tim Tams), and still have this belly.  Very irritating.  Coach tries to tell me, "Some bodies just aren't made to have flat stomachs.  You're in much better condition than a lot of those people you see with flat stomachs."  My retort (not out loud . . . sometimes)  "I don't care!  I want a flat stomach!!" Personally, I don't think I'm asking for too much in that department.   The arms are getting more toned, but there's still work to be done.  If I did strength training more than 2x a week, I'd probably have faster results; alas, that ain't gonna happen any time soon.  Legs - Gotta love the muscles I have in my legs now.  They're not those well-defined muscly muscles, but they're there and I can feel them and it makes me smile.

On Saturdays, I do carry with me boiled potatoes cut into chunks, as well as bananas cut into quarters.  I like the bananas better and was greatly disappointed last Saturday when my last piece fell out of my baggy when I still had a couple of miles left to run.  I picked it up, looked it over, and for a few seconds considered trying to brush off the mud and dirt . . .   I like the bananas better 'cause the potatoes are fairly tasteless and aren't always the best when you have cottonmouth.

We now do our own aid stations in the forest, which consist of stashing packs with extra fluids and food.  Right now my stash includes more bananas and potatoes, honey pretzel twists, bagel chips, and for a treat, brownie bites.  Once I get in the upper echelons of mileage and need to start incorporating more protein, I am going to include turkey and avocado sandwiches and Boost (a supplement/replacement like Ensure) to see how they sit on my stomach.  Wish I could do PBJs, but since my gall bladder was removed,  my stomach doesn't tolerate peanut butter during extreme exercise.  Bummer.

Well, wasn't I chatty!  Later ~

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Evening....

Holy crap, we are suppose to have snow flurries late, late, late tonight and early in the a.m. This is just crazy.....

Ev, the wind has got to be the worst in cold weather. Cold is one thing but cold, howling winds, oh my! The DWD event is located in the Withlacoochee Forest in Dade City, Florida. I'm doing it with the girls for a fun weekend together. It won't be a race for us, just a fun time. But having said that, I'll be cracking the whip if they start slacking too muchSmile

Good luck to you Arla, the warm temps sound great.....

Leslie, nice 10-miler!!!!

Ran 3 this morning on the treadmill in the comfort of my garage. I was NOT going outside....

Gotta go see if I see any snow flurries, later everyone!

Jewels