Masters Running

Thursday, August 19 - never to late to start the daily! (Read 368 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

geech - I was going through RA withdrawals this morning!!

Not much to report really.   Just a 5 miler with Brinkley this morning.   No people, bats, animals .... pretty boring .... but a pretty sky to look at!!  10:02 avg. pace

Funny feet stories yesterday!!  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Yes, withdrawal here too.  The site was acting up for sure.

6 very slow, very uncomfortable miles at 9:53 pace.  The left ankle was talking to me.  This is getting old very fast and the training time is slipping away.

On a more positive note, I've been given a new solo to work on and sing at church.  Date TBD.  A fantastic piece with a great message.  This one will be epic ... assuming I can manage that G which is at the top of my range.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...Jeepers, I thought only KR Crashed/////

=====

..........20min xbike standing........waiting for my NEW SHOES ...ohboyohboy before I try another streetrun.....

...........Pickles is back, Life is Good........

she did tell

me if I didn't

''Mind me Manners  she was gonna put me on sticks''

but I'm certain that's just IrishMushyTalk........

I have

hidden all the guns

in case I'm mistaken.

...........................good running guys.....................Think World Peace.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I guess that when things were acting weird when I tried to get on RA earlier that it wasn't me or my computer.  fatozzig, I hope you can get your husband to a doctor.  His reluctance to go sounds like me, but that doesn't make it smart.

Nice long runs for breger and dive.  Good job on the speedwork for hopeful and econo.

This morning, it was about 60° and there was a light breeze.  I did 4 miles in about 41 minutes for a 10:15 pace.  I was planning on 8 but, at the last minute, decided to be smart.  I will be leaving shortly to drive the 2 hours to my  son's to help him and his wife move across town.  I thought that if I did the 8, I might fizzle before the moving got completed.  How's it happen that both kids decide to move less than a week apart?

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I was feeling really electronically challenged this morning - glad I'm not the only one!

Sometimes nice, boring runs aren't all bad either, Mary. Nice you got out with Brinkley this morning.

((( Bill's ankle ))) Hope this is just something temporary. Gotten new shoes lately? Maybe it's time for a pair. We're anxious to hear about this new solo. Good luck with "g"!

Two Tom postings in a row this morning. Welcom back to Pickles! Did she bring you back any Irish whiskey? Love Bushmill and Jameson's. Hope you had the place looking spiffy when she got back. You seem to be spending a lot of time in your car this summer, Tom S. It's nice you're helping all your kids move - have a safe trip!

Excited to hear about Cranium's first day of coaching. Hope all went well.

Also hoping that Leslie's DH went to the ER or first care to get his headaches checked. Those are too scary to mess around with.

All the talk about pedicures yesterday made me laugh. I think we should have a RA master's get-together and give all the men pedicures. I've got some great nail colors - "rosey rapture," "perfect pink"  and "rabid red."  I'll let y'all chose your color.

6 miles this morning, 9:56 pace followed with 5 minutes jumping rope and some core work. I've already logged 25 miles this week which I know is a drop in the bucket for most of you, but I'm pleased with my slow progress. At this point, I just don't want to re-injure anything.

Does anyone watch "Top Chef?" They booted Alex last night. That was long overdue!

Marathon Maniac #957

Re pedicures, I admit that I wouldn't let anyone near my feet right now, with these mangled, half-grown lumpy things that call themselves toenails....

Divechief - good luck in Vegas!

Breger - I hope there's a video made for you to share.

TomS - remember, lift with your legs.

11.4 miles for me today in a pleasant 67 degrees (the last 2 on the TM at home), with 5 tempo miles in the middle at
              8:18
              8:21
              8:19
              8:20
              8:18
              followed by lunges, bench step-ups, single leg bridge-ups, and squats.

I'm toast.

Now that the kids are back in school, I am returning to the habit of getting home from my run a little ealier, making sure the kids are up and motivating, and then finishing the last 20 minutes on the TM.  I like to try to do speed intervals on the TM with this time, if I have any energy left at that point, because I have this idea that there is extra benefit in speedwork at the END of the run, so today I fartleked for 15 minutes before doing a slower 5 minutes for CD. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Pickles is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurray!!!!!!!

9 faster than intended miles for my wings. Found a new route with some respectable hills. I had fun running up the hills a-la-WoodsLady!. This supposed to be an easy pace and low mileage week for my wings, but today all felt in zync so running almost at tempo pace I did.

Go divechierf go!!!!! Enjoy your adventures my friend.

Carolyn, blessings to you and your kid!!

bregercito, take care of that ankle. Rest up a bit? OK? We want you to be at the starting line in the fall...speed is not that important for this race, right? or...are you trying to BQ?

degeee! butterfly hugs to you my sweet girl.

Is Karin gone on her three weeks adventures? 

Tramps, where are you? Anyone has his private email address? We need to round him up back here. I miss that guy's posts.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I wear my ugly toenails as a badge of honor but a foot massage sounds great

TW you are too much

Last of the cross country series last evening.  I ran well, my normal right hip tightness & pain but the left hamstring was good.  It was tough dragging 2 legs last week.  25:04 on the slow & long course, very happy with the time but wish it did not hurt so much.   29-53 overall  2-2 grand masters, I can still beat most of middle schoolers, some of the high schoolers & a group of young Mama's (I think they are newbies).

Tom on the move again, let the young ones move the heavy stuff, save your legs for running.   

Mariposai  nice run.  I think it's OK to run by feel sometimes.

Bill careful with the ankle.  I like your new avatar,  my baseball season is over so I think I'll change mine soon.

I must have missed Cranium's coaching gig, what is it cross country or soccer?

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Oh noooooo Byll! You've caught my left ankle issue! Or rather, I stole away the health of your left ankle so that mine wouldn't be hurting anymore. Either way, not a good thing!

What IS a good thing is that my left ankle felt a lot better this morning, so I attempted a short and easy run at the park before picking up DD at the camp bus. Ran a consistent 9:49 pace for 3.25 miles with no pain. Slight discomfort and and awareness that things aren't exactly right, yes, but no pain. These are important distinctions, I believe. I'll continue to be conservative with my running throughout the weekend though. Byll, I hope you "catch" the same success from me as well.

So both DD and Pickles are home. A good day all around.
                    evanflein

I need new shoes. My Landreths have over 540 miles on them now. I looked at the soles this morning and was amazed at the wear pattern. I definitely run on the outside of my right heel. I am so NOT a pronator! The outer heel on the right shoe is really worn down... the left shoe is pretty even wear. This confirms that I'm a lopsided runner...

DS2 takes his drivers test again this afternoon. I'll pick him up after lunch (he'll miss the last 2 classes of school, oh well), take him to the test and read the paper while he's out. Then, whatever the result, I'll take him home and I'm not coming back to work. Gotta steal a little time for myself here and there when I can! I'll run later, it should be nice this afternoon but it sure has cooled off here.

BlazinCajun

All the talk about pedicures yesterday made me laugh. I think we should have a RA master's get-together and give all the men pedicures. I've got some great nail colors - "rosey rapture," "perfect pink"  and "rabid red."  I'll let y'all chose your color.

So the real definition of a pedicure finally surfaces - all this time after reading yesterday's posts I thought it was just soaking your feet while relaxing.

Just an easy day with a core workout with my 12-yo daughter - Blazin

Andrew
                        ------------------
                        God, my Lord, is my strength;
                        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                        and enables me to go upon the heights.
                        Hb 3:19

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yikes, I just realized that I only have about 10 weeks left till my Indy Marathon........Summer really did fly by. I was at 1000 miles 1/2 way through the year, as 2000 miles or more is always my goal. But since then I started Cycling a lot more with my Cycling Buds - then I hurt my knee - I can run again now. But....with a 2 week taper, I would have to increase my mileage drastically to even have the miles to finish 26.2. But then I thought.................who really cares!!! I sometimes think we get all ate up with daily, weekly, monthly, yearly mileage - and what others think - race times and goals....that we lose focus about what running is really about (Fun and Fitness)

What point am I trying to make...........heck, I don't know. But I just wanna enjoy something that beings joy to me, and helps me through the pot holes and bumps of life..... not for it to be a chore or drudgery (pretty simple)

Me and some others I am helping with their fitness are going to walk this Walk a Marathon, Sept 18th in my City....I bet that will be hard actually! I figure I can walk that distance in about 7.5 hours....or about that, but will walk with the others if they want me to. Doesn't seem weird to have a walking Marathon, and not allow people to run if they want - wonder what would happen if I cheated, and ran some of it :-)

As I talked about not running enough for my race, I have a 40K Cycling time trial I am racing tonight with the Big Boys 

Bill......as you would tell me or others.....stay off that foot for a couple of days or even a week (could save your race)

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

hopeful - boring runs are nice

breeeger - ohh nooo Mr Bill! This has got to go away quickly!

tom W.. yay. pickles is back

tomS.... moving is good x-training.. wise move

Jlynne ...great progress! I'm only at 15 so far

Holly ... nice to run in pleasantness!

Mari.. I say if it feels good then go for it! Nice run!

OM... great news, now please share that ankle healing with Mr Bill

Erika.... here ya go http://runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--12069-0,00.html

A short 3.71 miles covering the AL Buehler Cross Country Trail at Duke University at 9:25 pace. I was going to do more laps but..

a) the first lap felt solid, especially the steep uphills

b) it was 75° and 100% humidity

so I quit while ahead on this hilly course. Back at it tomorrow.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Ah, thanks, Steve. That tells me I should not try that Asics Gel-DS Trainer 15 I was looking at... it's a lightweight cushioned stability shoe, apparently I should avoid the stability types. Buying shoes drives me nuts. I always seem to miss the sales, too.

Marathon Maniac #957

But....with a 2 week taper, I would have to increase my mileage drastically to even have the miles to finish 26.2. But then I thought.................who really cares!!! I sometimes think we get all ate up with daily, weekly, monthly, yearly mileage - and what others think - race times and goals....that we lose focus about what running is really about (Fun and Fitness)

Heck yeah!  Sure, we have our "A" races, where we feel our training has been optimal and we're hoping for a great showing, but if I only ran those marathons I really felt fit for, I wouldn't run many marathons.  Go to Indy, do the best you can, realize that you're training has had some difficulties this season, and enjoy the day regardless of time.  That's what I'm planning on doing at most of my fall races this year.

Erika - not a pronator here, either.  When we were on vacation, I was wearing a pair of Doc Martin sandals I got when I was pregnant with DS.  They've held up so well and are so comfortable, I have worn the heck out of them.  Well, I was standing in the hallway of the hotel and thought, "this carpet feels wobbly."  When I got in the room I sat down and took my shoes off and looked at the bottems, and saw that I had worn the outside of both heels badly, the left one the worst.  I don't know how I let it go so long, but it was definitely time to throw them out.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."