Masters Running

Tuesday January 27 run and fun! (Read 546 times)

I'd really like any opinions you have regarding running with hamstring / piriformis injuries. Mine have been re-irritated for about a month. Trying to run through this but in a way that lets me heal. There's a physical therapist at my gym who's a runner. He says it's ok to run as long as your pain level doesn't go above a 3 or 4. That's what I've been banking on. Today, 2 people told me (at length & with gusto) that I really should stop for a few weeks. One is a sports med guy. Not that he had all the details but I told him about how much I was doing, & that I was running slowly, etc. So depressing, if they're right. I know... lots of company there. It's just that it seems I just got started again. Don't mean to whine, sorry. Anyway, any thoughts or experiences?
    dg, my experience has been that it's okay to run with a piriformis problem as long as the pain level is in the 3/4 range. In fact, I always found that the pain lessened considerably as I warmed up during the run. I was told this is common in piriformis syndrome. I don't have much experience with hamstring injuries, but I would say if the pain is not getting worse then it's okay to continue. As SloHand mentioned, though, if it does not improve in a few weeks you may want to take some time off.
    mta, Meg, did you get a new 'watch' yet? I'm hoping you get something really good.
    Wish I could say I got something great, but I was desperate and just picked up a Timex Ironman at Target. I'm still considering a Garmin 305 as I would like a HR monitor (old watch was a Timex HR monitor) and if I am going to spend close to $100 for the HR monitor, I may as well get the Garmin.

Once a runner . . .

I had shin splints recently... was a pain in the shin. The stick seemed to help a lot.
      I didn't think you could use the Stick on shins? Maybe I heard wrong. I have a minor but persistent ache on the medial side of my left leg. Not awful but nagging. This could help it?

Marathon Maniac #957

Busiman – 18 miles on a TM is hard enough, but at a 4% incline? You the man! Perch and Slo_Hand – I live on a hill that would be great for trying those 10-second hill bursts, but which day to do it? Tues. is intervals, Wed is recovery, Thurs is now going to be MP runs – which run would suit best for a hill-burst ending? Would it defeat the recovery if I did it on Wednesday? Of course, I climb that hill every day to get home, maybe I could just do one or two every day... Good luck, Ilene! Intervals planned for today, but new snow on the ground kept me on the TM 1 mile WU (5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 8.0 mph) x 4 (pace translation: 10:00, 9:31, 9:05, 8:41, 7:30) 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00]) x 5 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00]) x 5 1 mile at 8:49 plus CD makes 9 miles total. I actually felt highly energized after this workout, still do a little, in fact, although fatigue is taking over at this point. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be feeling these workouts getting easier, feeling the improvement in fitness and endurance – I haven’t had this feeling about my running since 2007. Maybe (eyes squeezed shut and fingers crossed), maybe I’m climbing out of my running rut...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps - Try giving your shin the hot/cold treatment in the evenings: 20 mins of hot (heating pad) 20 mins cold, repeat a couple of times. In the morning, if it's stiff (the shin, that is . . .) warm things up with a heating pad before going out. I've been doing this with my ankle and it really helps. The hot/cold will not only help with the inflammation, but also get the blood flowing through there to promote healing. Good luck. dg - I did a number on my left hamstring about 2 years ago. I refused to stop running, and it took quite awhile to heal. However, I was very consistent with the same hot/cold treatment described above, and made sure to take ibu after my runs, which helped me a lot. Good luck to you, too. Ilene - I believe SR is planning to run Surf City, and Arla is running the half. Have fun!! 27 degrees on my back porch when I left for my run this a.m. I realize that's warm for a lot of you, but that's dang cold here on the coast of Northern California. Wore my wool hat for the first time this year and never got too hot. Took a good mile or so before I could feel my fingers in my gloves. Left for work 2.5 hours later, and it had warmed up a whole 4 degrees! It was a good run, but the smells wafting over the road from the bakery almost derailed me. I think I might've actually swooned for a moment. And my run: 5 miles with 10 steep hill repeats: Average/Best/HR 1. 10:05/8:46/138 2. 9:39/8:32/155 3. 9:05/8:14/160 (10 hill repeats between Miles 3.50 and 4.43) 4. 11:19/8:17/149 5. 10:51/7:33/153 4 repeats on lower half of The Hill, 6 repeats on upper half. Switched to the upper half for the last 6 so that I'd be at the top when I was done. See, I'm not as think as I dumb I am! Smile

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Snow? Did I hear somebody say snow? I'll be happy to take orders now, Meg and others! I can have it shipped UPS ground or even second-day air? Pay-pal account or even money order. Heck, send Monopoly money and I'll be more than happy to deliver some of the 12-14 inches (or more) that we're supposed to get here on this side of the Berkshire Mountains. I am more than used to winter actually and just annoyed because my travel plans were cancelled and I won't be seeing Holly tomorrow after all. Cry When I see you in February Holly, I may be running again so it's all good. Final offer folks.....maybe if I do a shouting commercial like Billy Mays? hmmm 6 mile walk this morning for me and then more stability and strength work---icy and 5º. IT band is remaining quiet and the hip is getting there. I slipped a little as I rounded a corner, but the twinge wasn't too bad. Good luck Ilene! You have put in all the miles, you'll run great.
            Slo

Perch and Slo_Hand – I live on a hill that would be great for trying those 10-second hill bursts, but which day to do it? Tues. is intervals, Wed is recovery, Thurs is now going to be MP runs – which run would suit best for a hill-burst ending? Would it ruin the recovery if I did it on Wednesday? Of course, I climb that hill every day to get home, maybe I could just do one or two every day...
              Here is a quick link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25847528/page/2/ According to other articles I read by Brad Hudson, he recommends doing them at the end of an easy day. And doing them the day before a quality workout is ok. Careful though......starting with 4 may seem easy and you will be tempted to do more. I was more than a little sore the first time I did them.......but I did eight Roll eyes You know......if the pace calls for 10k you do 5k. If the interval is for 800m you do 1k.....right ?
              dg.

I didn't think you could use the Stick on shins? Maybe I heard wrong. I have a minor but persistent ache on the medial side of my left leg. Not awful but nagging. This could help it?
                George.. you're right. I'd forgotten... mine were anterior/lateral, & didn't involve an inflamed periostium. With medial they say it probably is, and so you shouldn't use it there. You mentioned calf stretches, didn't you? I had knots in my calves, & the stick helped there, along wtih stretches. This is kind of interesting. http://books.google.com/books?id=fmaxqMk2VpUC&pg=PA82&lpg=PA82&dq=SHIN+SPLINTS+PERiostitis+MASSAGE&source=bl&ots=Uoc6u_mToY&sig=2JDw8yGYL2qZ9YdIU_MFisES-AQ&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum= ... long link!
                  8 slooow miles in a gently falling snow. It was actually quite pretty. In the dark. We'll be getting ice on top of the snow tonight, so tomorrow's run may not be quite as relaxing. My Garmin 205 has started whining about low-battery after anywhere from 7 to 15 miles. It's not going to make it through a marathon, so I'm in discussions with Garmin technical support. They want me to try a software upgrade and a master reset before progressing to the next step. The software upgrade didn't help (of course) and neither will the master reset, but I'll do it anyway in the interest of moving forward.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

.....maybe if I do a shouting commercial like Billy Mays? hmmm
                    Yes! I'm not the only one who thinks this guy SHOUTS all his commercials!! He drives me absolutely crazy! Inevitably after one of his commercials come on, I have an overwhelming need to shout something at The Hub. I try to ensure it's constructive, like, "FOLD THE FRIGGING LAUNDRY!" Big grin

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

George.. you're right. I'd forgotten... mine were anterior/lateral, & didn't involve an inflamed periostium. With medial they say it probably is, and so you shouldn't use it there. You mentioned calf stretches, didn't you? I had knots in my calves, & the stick help there. This is kind of interesting. http://books.google.com/books?id=fmaxqMk2VpUC&pg=PA82&lpg=PA82&dq=SHIN+SPLINTS+PERiostitis+MASSAGE&source=bl&ots=Uoc6u_mToY&sig=2JDw8yGYL2qZ9YdIU_MFisES-AQ&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum= ... long link!
                      Excellent link, thank you. Again, it's minor but I just don't want it to get major.

Renee the dog

In the morning, if it's stiff (the shin, that is . . .)
                        Now that's a cracking good line! Yes I bow to you!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly... building on what SLO says, I read about these hill sprints in a recent (March) RT. There is a possibility of injury until the muscles strengthen, then they help prevent injury. So they say to do only 1 or 2 x 8 sec sprints at 6-8% grade the first time out. They say add 1-2 per session per week until 8-10 and then increase to 10 sec. For advanced work up to 12 sec sprints on 10% grade. I'm sticking with 10 sec, increasing the repeats gradually and then go steeper. Complete recovery between sprints like just slowly walk back down the hill. I take 2-3 minutes rest between. I'm just learning but it seems like a great idea.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

Slo_Hand, Meg, Nono, Leslie... thanks so much! I was going to itemize but it would be too much. Experiences & parameters. This is so useful, because it really is a juggling act. ok, will itemize a little. Slo_hand... I'm really interested in your comment about 6 day a week running helping w/injuries. I'm 4-5 days. Wait to increase till it's better? Diet.. just generally healthy? I am getting slowly better, though it's been longer than 2 weeks. Do you think it matters a lot that this is a repeat injury? 6 mo. the first time.. then again in July, not as bad, & now, again, not as bad. Hmm. the lesson... don't ever listen to my advice! Nono... I want to solve this & so better not lay off running. I'm getting massage 2X a month too! Maybe should increase it just for a little while. Sorry about your run.. what a trouper, shifing gears & everything. I'm sorry.. but you make me laugh even when things are going wrong. Meg... it's not getting worse. (same with your knee? sorry to nag) Get the Garmin. You deserve it. Leslie, maybe I'll try that. I also like to take bromelain & boswellia. Any results from the doc?? Billy Mays...me too me too. Karin if you get too many orders we have plenty. free shipping.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

My Garmin 205 has started whining about low-battery after anywhere from 7 to 15 miles. It's not going to make it through a marathon, so I'm in discussions with Garmin technical support. They want me to try a software upgrade and a master reset before progressing to the next step. The software upgrade didn't help (of course) and neither will the master reset, but I'll do it anyway in the interest of moving forward.
                              Is it set on "Smart Recording"? If not, it collects much more data. I leave the display light on all the time and still have plenty of power. If (as I assume), all is the same but the battery life got shorter, I'd call garmin and say my battery is no longer working right and see if they replace the whole unit... Good luck.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Any results from the doc??
                                I find out this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed 'cause I'm tired of feeling like petrified poo. Which reminds me of a story, he he he - When I was little (4? 5?), I remember running into the house one day and showing my mom the big ole piece of chalk I had found out in the North 40 section of the yard. I had been happily drawing on anything and everything - the fence, trees, rocks, etc. Mom was horrified, and at the same time found it hilarious, that I was using a piece of dog poop that had been laying around for awhile. Blush

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance